Nymeria

It is amazing, though, how you can generally be a very fit person, and still get your butt kicked the moment you try something new with a lot of new movements.

For real.

I think that sounds like a great week one and I think the handstand change will do you right. Parkour sounds like it was exactly what you needed to start up, so I really look forward to seeing how it goes in future updates. I'm surprised and impressed that it's a lot of legs, but that definitely makes sense with all the deep squat landings and jump work that goes on with it -- sounds like it will be a great counter-balance to climbing work. :D

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Sadly, I'm going to have a lame start to week 2.  I'm still having DOMS, and I would like to do everything in my power to make it to parkour class tomorrow.  So, I'm going to do my handstands for the day, maybe do the rail balance, yoga, and foam rolling.  I would normally worry that I hurt my knee, but both of my legs seem equally bad.  It's been a long time since I've needed 2 consecutive quasi-rest days.  

It's funny that while I'm taking a step back from classes you're doing the opposite. Sometimes a change can be good no matter what direction it takes us.

I think we all, to some extent, go through cycles where sometimes we want much more structure and sometimes we want more freedom.  I've definitely had points where I've felt really burned out with classes (back when I did martial arts), and I've had points where I've felt really aimless with just doing my own workouts and having no structure.  

I think it became a bit worse for me with the knee rehab, since I had 6 months of basically having an hour + of exercises per day dictated to me, followed by 6 months of running away from any structure whatsoever.  

For real.

I think that sounds like a great week one and I think the handstand change will do you right. Parkour sounds like it was exactly what you needed to start up, so I really look forward to seeing how it goes in future updates. I'm surprised and impressed that it's a lot of legs, but that definitely makes sense with all the deep squat landings and jump work that goes on with it -- sounds like it will be a great counter-balance to climbing work. :D

I would imagine that for most people, it's more of a full body workout.  I'm a bit over-developed in the upper body relative to my legs, so I'm feeling it pretty badly in the legs.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Day 8 recap:  I did my Duolingo German practice, and I worked on my handstands.  

Gratitude: Even though the DOMS have been vicious, I'm kind of grateful that I've found a fun activity that will really work my legs.  If I can remain somewhat restrained and smart with how I proceed, it should also end up being great rehab for the knee, as I will really strengthen all of the surrounding muscles.

Day 9: So, after going on about how much I love my yoga class, I actually ditched it today.  My DOMS are still kind of bad (yes, after 2 rest days), but they're finally at the point where I can warm them up and probably perform okay.  But, the problem is that I in theory have both yoga and parkour on Tuesdays.  I can't handle both today, so I'm picking parkour.  Sadly, there's still a chance that I'll get neither if the weather becomes nasty tonight.  

I'm hoping that once I get a few parkour sessions under my belt, the DOMS will be less bad.  Then, I'd expect that I could double up on the yoga and the parkour.  I just might have to slack a little with the yoga by focusing more on the stretching and breathing, and less on doing really deep stances or really pushing the harder progressions.  

On an off-topic note, I don't know if any Doctor Who fans on here have watched Torchwood.  I just finished the Children of Earth season last night.  My soul still hurts and probably will continue hurting for another week.  :(

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

My arms were sore after that parkour/obstacle course workout for like 5 days... at the least. Repeat exposure will help you immensely, for sure. I hope the practice is just as fun today as it was last time. Once you can do them in combination, yoga would probably be a nice wind-down (assuming it IS after and not before).

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

The DOMS shall pass.  My first parkour class had me achy and miserable for a full 7 days after, no lies.  You're much fitter than I was at the time (than I am even now really) but still.... no doubt it will get better, and of course it's nice to find an enjoyable form of exercise that also works your muscles in a new way!

Hope the weather cooperates for you. :love_heart:

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Haha, it seems that Parkour classes are particularly bad for first-timers' DOMS :P Maybe it's because there's a much greater emphasis on eccentric motions rather than isometric or concentric (applying force in the opposite direction to your movement, like when landing a jump or doing a pull-up negative, as opposed to keeping yourself still mid pull-up (isometric) or actually doing a pull-up (concentric)). Eccentric motion causes DOMS much more than the other types (and are therefore particularly good for strength gains).

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

I hope your weather was ok for classes last night!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Weather was fine, and I made it to Parkour!  

Of course, there were good and bad points to that.  

I'll start with the bad: The class was a bunch of tall, fit, 20-30's men who weren't noobs... and me.  So, I felt pretty incompetent and insecure with a lot of things, and to some small degree, I feel like I kind of missed the boat to actually be any good at parkour, since I'm a late 30's mom and not a 25 year old dude.  

On the good side, though, I still had a lot of fun, and I did fine at the box pop ups to wall top outs.  I had some small successes at wall runs and tic tacs onto a box.  I know that the usual teacher for the Saturday classes (not the teacher I had last night) tends to be a bit more sensitive to age/gender/medical issues and will set things up in progressions, so I'll feel much more positive about everything after his classes.  The DOMS today are actually less bad than they were before class, so either I didn't use my quads as much during class or I'm starting to adapt to some of the quad motion.  

I hope I didn't come across as too negative.  I did have a fun time at parkour, and honestly, it was a very jumping-focused class.  Obviously, the 6'+ tall, 25 year old skinny dudes who haven't had major knee surgery and who have been taking parkour for months are going to perform a lot better than I am.  It's okay.  ;)

Positive thought of the day: I'm really grateful that we have so many options for fitness things to do as a family.  I'm glad that we're all healthy and physical enough to go hiking together, do parkour, go rock climbing, or just play at the playground.  I'm really glad that we all enjoy spending a lot of quality time together as a family, rather than each having our own interests and then rarely seeing each other.  

None of my skills happened yesterday (not even the parkour focused ones, since we just didn't do that in class), but I'm feeling good today, so I should be all set.  

• Like 2

My tutorials:

You have not missed the boat! Dudes are just UNFAIRLY good at parkour and gymnastics, especially if they are fit and have some background of good body awareness. It never stops annoying me how a guy with 0 background in gymnastics can show up and instantly learn things that take me (and many others) months of struggle. You are not alone in dealing with frustrating fit dudes. ;)

Sounds like a great class and I love that you are doing all of this knee-intensive stuff with I hope minimal discomfort or pain! That is just awesome. Also, I love your posts about working out or hiking or playground fun with your family. It's so great to hear about active families. :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

You have not missed the boat! Dudes are just UNFAIRLY good at parkour and gymnastics, especially if they are fit and have some background of good body awareness. It never stops annoying me how a guy with 0 background in gymnastics can show up and instantly learn things that take me (and many others) months of struggle. You are not alone in dealing with frustrating fit dudes. ;)

Sounds like a great class and I love that you are doing all of this knee-intensive stuff with I hope minimal discomfort or pain! That is just awesome. Also, I love your posts about working out or hiking or playground fun with your family. It's so great to hear about active families. :)

This, so much all of this.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Yeah.  I should have expected it from climbing.  People always say that women have the best technique and are the most efficient climbers, but what that really means is that women have to come up with the elaborate, technical way to do something that guys can just power through with no technique at all.  Parkour seems even worse (I'm sure gymnastics, too), because dudes have such an unfair advantage with the huge jumps.  At least in gymnastics, guys' relative lack of flexibility must be somewhat satisfying.  ;)  I would have to say that for the stretching at the end of class, I was WAY more flexible than any of the guys.  I just don't think flexibility matters quite as much, so it was a very very small victory.

Day 10: I'm sore, but not absurdly sore or anything.  Weird.  Anyway, today I just focused on my challenge skills.  

Handstands - I feel like these are coming along, and I had one 6 second freestanding one (after stabilizing from the wall) as well as a 10+ second split handstand where my toe barely grazed the wall in the middle of the whole thing.  I actually feel like split handstands are a great way to go for me, since I really can feel the balance and control a lot more than purely vertical ones.  I tried frogger kick ups again, and I can't even get close.  But weirdly enough, if I pick up one leg so it's only 6" off of the ground and kick with the other one from the same starting position as a frogger kick up, I can do it.  So, I'm guessing I'm having some weird hip or back form breakdown with the move.  Maybe I'll take a video at some point, so other people can help diagnose the problem.

Kong Vaults - Maybe 1/3 of the time, I'm getting nice ground kongs, where my feet end up in line with my hands and my legs are between my feet.  But I'm stoked, since this is a big improvement for me.  I really have to focus on getting my hips HIGH when I do these, almost as if I'm kind of diving into a frogger handstand.  If my hips don't rise enough, I get jammed up, and my legs will stop quite a bit before reaching my hands.

Precision jumps - I was getting better about jumps from 3' apart onto the boards, but I still kind of don't want to sink into the squat right away.

Rail balance - I'm starting to feel much more solid with this, and I've already moved the parallettes so they're in-line.  I'm hoping that this is just one of those weird muscle memory things for which I'll eventually feel solid.  The husband assures me that the actual rails in the PK gym are easier to balance on than the parallettes.

Firefly - Just wasn't happening.  Maybe my residual quad tightness just wasn't letting me get my legs up enough.  

Backbends - okay, but tough to gauge improvement.  Just chugging along.  I'm also doing shoulder dislocates and some stretches to try to "fix" my shoulder ROM

PK rolls - So, I learned at both the last class and the intro class that PK rolls and martial arts rolls are very different.  So, I have to re-train my muscle memory to do an entirely new type of roll.  I practiced quite a bit, but I'll admit that I really like the martial arts rolls and can totally do them on concrete.  I don't at all like the PK ones.  Grrr.  

I was intending to do some yoga, too, but my body is sore and I don't want to push my luck.

• Like 2

My tutorials:

I'll have to try these split handstands too!

It is curious you can't do the frogger kick ups, because i'm really pretty 100% sure that you're stronger than I am :D

Glad you're having fun with the parkour :) Can't you just stick with martial arts rolls though? Or do they have a downside?

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I love your list of skills, and the way you're approaching them. I don't have ANY form comments but it's totally interesting.

re: the martial arts rolls -- I find that tkd shoulder rolls always jank up my shoulders, which I think has more to do with an old shoulder injury than anything else. I'm going to go google PK rolls now to figure out how they're different.... but this made me think about hurricane kicks, and how you can find parkour vids of hurricane kicks that have got the WORST form and will almost CERTAINLY result in a blown out knee if you actually used it to kick SOMETHING instead of just a cool aerial technique. so I'm wondering how PK rolls vs martial arts rolls compare from  that perspective!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I understand your frustration gahh I am frustrated with fit guys too and how easy they seem to have it! But I think it is super awesome you did it, and you enjoyed it! And to be honest, I think you did great, you could do quite many things, and I am pretty sure I would not be able to anything but the simplest vaults because I have no coordination and am easily scared of things like jumping. Anyway, you are my hero, really! I hope you will continue the lessons because I want to hear more stories! :D

I'll have to try these split handstands too!

It is curious you can't do the frogger kick ups, because i'm really pretty 100% sure that you're stronger than I am :D

Glad you're having fun with the parkour :) Can't you just stick with martial arts rolls though? Or do they have a downside?

I really think I must have a form problem with the froggers.  Either I'm arching my back into the kick up, or I'm doing something weird with my hips.  If I do the frogger kick up, but just lift one leg a little and only kick with the other, I'm fine.  

Martial arts rolls tend to carry a lot of momentum, whereas PK ones completely absorb momentum.  So, they're pretty different.  Generally, martial arts ones are designed for being in a position where you can't control your momentum or entry very much at all (due to having someone throw you), and you want to spring back to your feet as quickly as possible.  PK ones happen after you do a large jump or landing, so you're always in control.  If nothing else, I need to learn to do the PK ones, so I'm not constantly being corrected in class.  ;)

re: the martial arts rolls -- I find that tkd shoulder rolls always jank up my shoulders, which I think has more to do with an old shoulder injury than anything else. I'm going to go google PK rolls now to figure out how they're different.... but this made me think about hurricane kicks, and how you can find parkour vids of hurricane kicks that have got the WORST form and will almost CERTAINLY result in a blown out knee if you actually used it to kick SOMETHING instead of just a cool aerial technique. so I'm wondering how PK rolls vs martial arts rolls compare from  that perspective!

From what I can tell, the difference is that PK rolls start in a full squat, they're slightly moreso barrel rolls than martial arts ones, the legs don't whip over in the roll, and the head doesn't even slightly graze the ground.  I will have to admit that while I find martial arts style rolls tolerable on the concrete, they're decidedly not comfortable.  I guess PK rolls are supposed to be pleasant enough, even on the concrete.  

I'm pretty sure that hurricane kicks in parkour are just used as flashy tricks and are not intended in any way to actually kick something.  :)  It's amazing what a difference that will make in form.  

I understand your frustration gahh I am frustrated with fit guys too and how easy they seem to have it! But I think it is super awesome you did it, and you enjoyed it! And to be honest, I think you did great, you could do quite many things, and I am pretty sure I would not be able to anything but the simplest vaults because I have no coordination and am easily scared of things like jumping. Anyway, you are my hero, really! I hope you will continue the lessons because I want to hear more stories! :D

I'm totally going to continue with the lessons.  If things work out for taking class on Saturday, I'll be taking the one that's a bit more geared for the older people, rather than the 20 year old dudes.  While my ego doesn't like the idea of taking the more conservative (i.e. less fun) class, it's probably a good idea for me to see a lot of the techniques and progressions from the bottom up, especially with the knee issues.  

Positivity for day 10:

I successfully fit into a dress that I wore 12+ years ago (It was the dress I wore for my wedding, but I just used a normal dress rather than a wedding one because I'm weird that way. The last time I tried it on was before I was pregnant with my first kid).  As much as I get frustrated by my body type and size and whatnot, at least I've been very stably the same size for many years and after having 2 children.  

Day 11:

Today should have been a climbing day, but I'm in the middle of having a lot of snow dumped upon my city.  So, it's likely I'll be doing the relocating snow workout, followed by a home parkour-themed workout.  

• Like 1

My tutorials:

I really think I must have a form problem with the froggers.  Either I'm arching my back into the kick up, or I'm doing something weird with my hips.  If I do the frogger kick up, but just lift one leg a little and only kick with the other, I'm fine.  

Martial arts rolls tend to carry a lot of momentum, whereas PK ones completely absorb momentum.  So, they're pretty different.  Generally, martial arts ones are designed for being in a position where you can't control your momentum or entry very much at all (due to having someone throw you), and you want to spring back to your feet as quickly as possible.  PK ones happen after you do a large jump or landing, so you're always in control.  If nothing else, I need to learn to do the PK ones, so I'm not constantly being corrected in class.   ;)

From what I can tell, the difference is that PK rolls start in a full squat, they're slightly moreso barrel rolls than martial arts ones, the legs don't whip over in the roll, and the head doesn't even slightly graze the ground.  I will have to admit that while I find martial arts style rolls tolerable on the concrete, they're decidedly not comfortable.  I guess PK rolls are supposed to be pleasant enough, even on the concrete.  

I'm pretty sure that hurricane kicks in parkour are just used as flashy tricks and are not intended in any way to actually kick something.   :)  It's amazing what a difference that will make in form.  

I'm totally going to continue with the lessons.  If things work out for taking class on Saturday, I'll be taking the one that's a bit more geared for the older people, rather than the 20 year old dudes.  While my ego doesn't like the idea of taking the more conservative (i.e. less fun) class, it's probably a good idea for me to see a lot of the techniques and progressions from the bottom up, especially with the knee issues.  

Positivity for day 10:

I successfully fit into a dress that I wore 12+ years ago (It was the dress I wore for my wedding, but I just used a normal dress rather than a wedding one because I'm weird that way. The last time I tried it on was before I was pregnant with my first kid).  As much as I get frustrated by my body type and size and whatnot, at least I've been very stably the same size for many years and after having 2 children.  

Day 11:

Today should have been a climbing day, but I'm in the middle of having a lot of snow dumped upon my city.  So, it's likely I'll be doing the relocating snow workout, followed by a home parkour-themed workout.  

emphasis mine.

That is amazing and definitely worth positivity!!!

Martial arts rolls tend to carry a lot of momentum, whereas PK ones completely absorb momentum.  So, they're pretty different.  Generally, martial arts ones are designed for being in a position where you can't control your momentum or entry very much at all (due to having someone throw you), and you want to spring back to your feet as quickly as possible.  PK ones happen after you do a large jump or landing, so you're always in control.  If nothing else, I need to learn to do the PK ones, so I'm not constantly being corrected in class.   ;)

Interesting! And yea, that's a good reason xD

I've found that kicking with 2 legs makes it harder for my head to be convinced to actually untuck them at some point while kicking with 1 the head has no problem. Maybe that's it? Or take a video! 

I wish I'd ever got any good advice about the frogger to share. The only thing I ever got is jump more...

The only thing I've heard that really helped me was to put the shoulders into the right angle first. And then really I don't even have to jump very hard anymore.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Day 11:

Workout: shoveling 6" or so of snow from the sidewalk as well as around the cars.  

Then: 

-Ground Kongs

-rail balance

-precision jumps

-PK rolls

-handstands

-hanging leg raises

-ring dips

-deadhangs

-chaturanga (low pushup) hold

I'm feeling like I'm improving a lot with the rail balance and the precision jumps.  Ground kongs were okay, but my legs were still a bit sore and uncooperative. I really have to approach them as if I'm diving into a handstand, just to get my legs where they need to be.

I got a PR of a 9 second freestanding hold on the initially wall stabilized split handstand!

I also finally took a video of the acro yoga candlestick thing.  Unfortunately, it's a bit shaky since we haven't practiced for 2 weeks and we were both tired from all of the shoveling.

Positive thing of the day: I'm feeling really happy that I'm already seeing some progress with the handstand, rail balance, and precision jumps!  I'm also feeling really grateful that this storm appears to be the last blast from winter before we move onto some lovely, warm, spring weather!

• Like 5

My tutorials: