Nymeria

Day 40 - I went climbing and would have sent a V3- if I hadn't chickened out on the last move.  Climbing was good, but I might have irritated my knee a little.

Positive thought - I managed to meet my duo lingo point goal for the challenge, and it seems to be working somewhat.  I can pick up words, phrases, and little bits here and there, which seems pretty good to me for fooling around for 6 weeks with an app.  :)  I'm also pleased that even if my physical goals for this challenge ended up not really working out due to life changes, at least I passed my non-physical goals with flying colors.  

Day 41- Today is the "old people" parkour class.  I'm a little worried, because both of my knees have been popping and creaking a bit.  I think my kneecap tracking is just a little bit off.  Ugh.  I'll have to be very careful and take things very easy today, but that should be entirely possible since it's the slower paced, older person class.  I'll try to squeeze in some handstand work tonight and maybe tomorrow morning, just to stay a bit more on track with the challenge.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Hope the knees are good tomorrow! Heck yes for the Duolingo work and the good climbing session. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Day 41 - positive thought: We just planted our garden, and I'm really grateful that I can actually grow some of the food I eat.  It feels very empowering to me, and I really wish we had much more yard space and more direct sunlight, so we could have a much larger garden.  As it stands, we mostly just do strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, and lots of herbs.

Day 42 - I took things a bit easy, due to the knee.  What seems to be happening from my own self diagnosis is that my ITB is really tight, my VMO is maybe a bit weak, and my patella is not quite tracking right.  If I thoughtlessly go from sitting to standing or if I do a squat, my knee loudly pops and I can see/feel my kneecap jerk a bit.  It's not really painful, but it's weird and awkward.  If I really concentrate on activating the VMO or if I do a deep squat while squeezing a ball between my knees, my kneecap tracks perfectly.  Ugh.  I hate knee problems, and they make me quite paranoid.  

positive thought - We had a lovely holiday yesterday, where we celebrated my husband's birthday, my father-in-law's birthday and easter all at once.  We had great food, good companionship, lovely weather, lots of sunshine, and an otherwise awesome day.

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

End of challenge summary:

This challenge ended up being more chaotic and difficult than I had expected.  I had to work around starting parkour classes a couple times/week, having out of town guests for a week, dealing with the kids' spring break, getting a terrible head cold that knocked me out for a few days, and having a few knee issues at the end.  Despite all of that, I think it was mostly a success.

1. (Fitness)Respect the progressions:

Basically work on foundations, mobility work, and following progressions to become better with firefly pose, wheel, rail balance, kong vaults, and rail precision jumps

I started out really doing a great job with this, but due to the life stuff, I quickly became overloaded.  A lot more of the parkour stuff was shifted more toward parkour classes.  I did make a huge effort to work on my pancakes for firefly and my shoulders for wheel.  I reasonably did as much as I could with these, and I definitely improved a bit in everything but firefly, because mobility changes are very slow.  Grade: B

2. (Fitness) Tons of Handstands:  First it was do 100 handstands/week.  Then, it was practice 5/week.  What it turned into was to practice as much as I reasonably could, which was often much less than I wanted to do on paper.  Between all of my other classes, there just wasn't a way to focus on this without overloading my shoulders or wrists too much.  

Despite that, I managed first a PR of a 9 second freestanding hold, and then later a PR of a 12 second freestanding hold.  The split handstands have really been working for me, and I feel like I have much more balance and control!  Again, it's a "letter of the law" C grade and a "spirit of the law" A grade, so I'll give myself a grade of B

3. (Life) Positivity and Gratitude:  Goal was to reflect back on each day and come up with some positive thought for each day or thing for which I'm grateful.  I did manage to meet my goal for this.  Grade A

4. (Life) Learn a new language -My goal was to have 2200 XP on my German DuoLingo program by the end of the challenge (250 pts/week). I ended with over 2300 XP.  I can actually form simple sentences and pick up words, phrases, or whatever when I hear people speaking in German.  Awesome!  Grade: A+

Extras:

There's no way to grade these, but they're just things I'd love to work on and be reminded of frequently through my challenge.

(Fitness) Form comes first:  I honestly kind of forgot about this, but since I mostly did classes rather than exercise independently, it was kind of not applicable.  

(Life) Control the clutter: I did a lot of work with cleaning, decluttering, and house projects this challenge.  

(Life) Get over it:  Yeah, I still stink at letting things go and not obsessing.  

Mini-challenges: I did about half of them, which is much lower than my usual standard.  I hope life stuff works out such that I can be more active again on NF during the next challenge.

Overall, I'll give myself a B+

• Like 3

My tutorials:

Good job with this in general :) Shame about the knee giving you occasional probems, but one minor upside of this is that by now you have a much better understanding of physiology than most people (especially around the knee area)

Not so easy to measure, but I bet that your proprioception has increased markèdly over the last 6 weeks thanks to the new movements and classes and balance training. You'll probably never notice the difference, but there'll nevertheless be that significant improvement there behind the scenes working for you :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Definitely a successful challenge! Obviously some priorities and goals shifted during the course of it, but you put in a lot of work and are seeing some of that results of that. And I am still hugely excited for your new handstand PRs. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

you had a great challenge. I love seeing the way you're balancing fitness into your lifestyle!

re: your garden - have you read this book? it might be interesting for you."Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Another great challenge! I think working on the parkour and other balance stuff helped with the handstands, even though you weren't able to work directly on it as much.

I started our garden too. I love this time of year.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien