Syren

I did not end up taking a rest day yesterday. I went for a short swim because I finally got bored enough to trapse across campus to the pool. It was almost like swimming just getting to the pool yesterday. It was nothing special. A mostly continuous 2 km swim. It took roughly 45 minutes, which was all the time that I really had.

• Like 1

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

I think I am going to give the hash a try next week, I need to go shopping, but not until Saturday -- that is grocery day, luckily I have bacon in the freezer, I just need sweet potatoes and some other veggies.

Workout Today

Warm Up

500 Free

Pre-Set

3 x 150 Free Drill

Main Set

4 x 100 IM Moderate

8 x 50 IM order swim alt kick

12 x 25 IM order Fast

Post Set

4 x 50 GOLF Drill

Cool Down

250 Mix Strokes

Total 2500

Followed by a light upper body workout
3 x 5 Pool Assisted Pull Ups
3 x 5 Triceps Dips
3 x 5 Wide Arm Push Ups
3 x 5 Diamond Push Ups
3 x 5 Triceps Push Ups

Breakfast did not include greens again -- I am on a yogurt kick on my early days apparently
I have thought about putting spirulina powder in, but I have heard it gives food a funny taste -- probably a fishy one since it is cyanobacteria

Lunch -- Tiny Salad

Dinner -- not really any leafy greens but I put a bunch of green peppers in the tex mex chicken tonight

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Today, Swam with the masters

400 easy Free

4 x 125 drill (left, right, swim, balance, swim)

300 ? 

4 x 100 free zone 3-4 rest 10 seconds

4 x 100 free zone 3-4 rest 5 seconds

200 pull

4 x 50 free fast rest 30 seconds

4 x 50 fast IM order rest 20 seconds

50 easy

300 easy choice

Total 2900?

Leg Day

Breakfast -- Spinach Quiche

Lunch -- Salad

Dinner -- Buffalo Chicken Salad

-- Starbucks free for most of the week!

Yoga Sunday?

• Like 1

I did not give a dedicated effort to a flexibility workout last week. I must attempt it this week.

Surprise (forgotten) bake sale tomorrow! I. Will. Never. Make. Cheesecake. Again. (Unless my stand mixer is clean and I have three 3 x 4 muffin tins, a giant oven, and 3 roasting pans.)

The weekend involved lots of cleaning of the house of the SO mother. I am still not allowed to light it on fire.

I skipped the Master's practice on Saturday since I swam five days last week and my arms felt like they were going to pull out of their sockets. Back to the swimmy swimmy and strength training today!

300 easy Free

10 x 25 fist drill alt some other drill

6 x 100 moderate on 1:40 interval

6 x 100 fartlek

something else?

5 x 50 underwater/sprint/easy/sprint

400 easy choice

Total 2400 yards at least

3 x 5 pool assisted pull ups

3 x 5 triceps dips

3 x 5 wide arm push ups

3 x 5 diamond push ups

3 x 5 triceps push ups

3 x 5 down dog push ups

Today was not a good choices about food day. I made quiche for breakfast this week. It is full of bacon, spinach, peppers, and onions. (It is delicious). But then I taught biology II lab today. It happens to take place during the hours of lunch time (11am - 2pm) so I am usually starving at right around 12pm since I am obviously not hungry before lab starts (that would be sensible). But then, I don't actually get to escape for food until 3pm. Normally this would not be awful, just crankily throw some trail mix in my face hole and go home for dinner... but not today. Today I had to grab stuff for the bake sale. With my mind being in confection making mode, what is on sale at Publix? Bad choices. Tiramisu. On an empty stomach, a massive sugar bomb. Eventually, I might be hungry and make it to the hop'n'johns I put in the crock pot this morning. (I am moving soon, the cabinets must be barren before the end of next week). 

I brought lunch with me, but I forgot to put salad dressing in my lunch bag, so I did not really feel like eating what I brought, except for my strawberries, a quarter of which were deceptively moldy. Angsty day.

• Like 1

Hey Syren, I got to you finally. :positive: 

Aww, yucky strawberries! I had those last week. They didn't last long at all. Boo.

Sounds like you're really working on the rough side of eating with the need for barren cabinets and the lunch time work schedule. Make sure you're being good to yourself, both attempting good eating and self compassion when it doesn't go as planned. Big hugs for that one!

Swimming with the Masters, nice. You and Elril should exchange notes. He's kicking booty in the pool as well. There's some others swimming a lot now. It's pretty cool. I went once does that count? Ha, nope, not really.

Have a good week 2!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

You aren't allowed to set your SO's mother on fire?  Bummer.  Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, tralalala....

• Like 1

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Wednesday was an impromptu rest day: I got to take the day off from school after my Lab exam. I did some moving prep when I got home. Made the bad decision to lay down on the couch after lunch though. The nap with my cat was probably 20 minutes tops, but I felt half dead when I woke up. My workout did not happen.

Anyway, I am trying to motivate to go to the pool today, but I am having a hard time since the 70*F weather took an immediate dive into the 50*Fs and it is rainy -- quite moist -- aka the southern US can be the absolute pits.

Maybe tonight after class? 

I am giving serious consideration to eating all of the food I brought with me right now, and ramping up for a 3 hour session of job application sending.

Oh, hilarious events that happened yesterday: the PI who basically kicked me out of her lab saying I should pursue a Non-Thesis degree because my thesis project wasn't working for her, and to boot told me that now I have gone Non-Thesis, I am no longer in a position to pursue research, asked me yesterday if I would help the REU in her lab with the project that would have been my thesis just with a different species. How do I say "go fuck yourself" in a nice way?

• Like 1

dived to the 50s... bite me.  I am waiting with baited breath for this weekend to bring the 30's back.  

I have been told that I am a bad communicator, something about sarcasm and cynicism.  Do you need this person for a reference in the future?  Would you regret burning this bridge?  The polite way would be to elucidate how you don't have the time because  you need to find a new thesis and PI to work for.  If you don't need them for anything tell them to go fuck themselves.

• Like 1

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Love Batman the Animated series, one of the few shows that I actually bought the entire series.

I'm going to be stealing some of your swim work outs, right now I just swim for a half hour straight so I think adding some variety would be a good thing.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Love Batman the Animated series, one of the few shows that I actually bought the entire series.

I'm going to be stealing some of your swim work outs, right now I just swim for a half hour straight so I think adding some variety would be a good thing.

Absolutely!  The drills really help with nailing down your form and mix it up just enough to make life more interesting. They do slow you down though since you are targeting one thing at a time.

dived to the 50s... bite me.  I am waiting with baited breath for this weekend to bring the 30's back.  

I have been told that I am a bad communicator, something about sarcasm and cynicism.  Do you need this person for a reference in the future?  Would you regret burning this bridge?  The polite way would be to elucidate how you don't have the time because  you need to find a new thesis and PI to work for.  If you don't need them for anything tell them to go fuck themselves.

I had decided a couple of months ago that I do not need her as a reference, however I have two months left to wander into her, and I figure that I should set civil pretenses for that much longer.

It went back up to the 60's and dried out enough to not be sloshy on the way to the pool.

Workout

300 easy free swim

200 kick choice

100 pull easy

6 x 200 free alt breast moderate - fast descend each 200, rest 30 seconds

300 pull

200 kick

100 easy backstroke

Dear Immune System, 

Please stop trying to kill me. It is ok to get excited when something new comes along, but this level of mucous, itchy eustachian tubes, puffy face, and half closing of the throat probably due to inflammation of the lymph nodes is a bit extreme. Take a break. Whatever I ate would not harm me if you would just relax a bit.

Sincerely, 

Your Host

Due to an allergic reaction to something, not sure what, I am only feeling the need to acquire some anti-histamine rather than fitness points at the moment. If it goes away by the time I can jump in the pool after I teach lab, I might swim, but it isn't looking like a good outlook.

Hope you are doing better.  As far as the PI goes, civil is fine but you certainly do not need to help them at all.  You can point out that "hey that is what I was doing with a different species when you kicked me out and said crappy thing so no I'm good and do not need to help.".

You never know when that burned bridge or someone that knows that person comes back to haunt you.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I had a very long car ride yesterday to take my kitties to my parents. They are not entering the house I want to burn to the ground. So I got to think about a lot of things, particularly that traveling is an unhealthy process -- as my 3000+ calorie count in MFP can attest, and that if I shall be ovenless, it might be a good time to attempt a whole 30 ish type thing.

I have a whole book devoted to crockpot cooking that I should crack open, but do not usually use because it is highly meat centric. Also, grilling things is not nearly as much of a chore as I make it out to be. However, since I am ovenless, I think I might cheat with things like canned beets -- which I actually like canned -- Though, if I slice them thin enough, I wonder how they do grilled...

Experimentation?

If it gets to be too stressful I can modify it, but it seems like something doable and I will be less tempted to cheat without the use of an oven. Because I love me some banana bread.

• Like 1

It would be doable to grill beets I suppose, I would jacket them in foil with a little butter, salt, and pepper...  straight on the grill, would be tricky... and they have enough sugar in them to let them become one with the grill itself.

• Like 1

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

I can finally breathe like a normal person again!

Too bad the pool is closed for maintenance this week...

However, I have been walking up and down my apartment stairwell at least 15 times each day with this moving gig, so I am at least moving...

Now I just need to buy some salad and some fish instead of eating out so much...

• Like 1

Back in the pool today... though I think some of the paint fumes from the floor remodle might have gotten to me.

400 Easy

10 x 25 drill

6 x 100 moderate

6 x 100 fartlex

10 x 25 alt easy/fast IM order (2x free)

4 x 50 underwater/sprint/easy/sprint

300 Easy

Total 2600 yards

3 x 5 pool assisted pull ups

3 x 5 bent knee triceps dips

3 x 5 kneeling wide arm push ups

3 x 5 kneeling triceps pushups

2 x 10 down dog push ups

um food...

Breakfast -- love affair with Panera -- Spinach and Artichoke Souffle 

Lunch -- Kale and shard salad with chicken + cantaloupe and grapes (also a cheddar cheese stick)

Dinner -- survey says broccoli + leftover pasta and chicken parmesan

I have not had Starbucks... but I have fallen prey to the Mountain Dew... which I will stop drinking as soon as I do not require caffeine masked by sugar water.

Yoga tomorrow?

• Like 1

I love that breakfast from Panera too.  Oooo Mountain Dew is tough.  That used to be a huge vice for my husband and me.  Now I try it every couple years and it does not taste as good as we used to think it did a few years back.  Dinner sounds tasty.  :)  Workout looked great and challenging.  

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Mountain dew is tied with Tequila for the liquid forms of Evil.  Different evils, equal intensities.  

• Like 1

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

I had a post, but the internet ate it.

Anyway

There may be war tonight with my SO's mother over my cleaning the refrigerator this morning. Something had exploded who knows when, and all of the jars were stuck to the shelves. I feel justified that cleaning that... ice closet out was what needed to happen. And she can deal with it. Also she can wash her mountain of dishes, and learn to throw rotten food away. If not, I will come through with a garbage sack like I did with the rest of the house. Because this honey badger gives no fucks.

So, Swim, I did that because you know, when contemplating murder and arson, there is no better place.

200 easy swim free

200 easy kick IM order

200 easy pull free

4 x 75 + 25 butterfly, try for perfect form + free rest 1:30

2 x 200 backstroke moderate rest 1:15

2 x 200 breaststroke moderate rest 1:00

2 x 200 freestyle rest 0:45

300 easy swim choice

Total 2500 yards

Seeking refuge in the local coffee shop with a spinach and mushroom quiche... and a glorious concoction of espresso, chai, chocolate, and cayenne pepper called a dirty smokestack.