Raptron Gets Straight Up Gym-NASTY

raptron

That video, I LOVE IT!! Inspires me all the more to get into this even if the thought of doing all that tumbling scares me silly. So cool though!!!!

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

This is awesome!  Always amazed at your gymnastic ability.  Pretty sure I'd just break my neck if I ever attempted any gymnastic training. :P

Week 6 Summary

Goal 1: I just wanna make you sweat

*Huff and puff: HIIT workouts 2x per week -> 1/2

*Flex Zone: Give proper attention to accessory lifts and exercises post-workout 2x per week -> 2/2

-> 3/4

Goal 2: When I dip, you dip, we dip

*Pull: Put in 3 days/week of work on pulls and chins -> 2/3

*Push: Put in 3 days/week of work on push-ups -> 3/3

*Dip: Put in 3 days/week of work on dips -> Skipped this week for the shoulder

-> 5/6

Goal 3: First we gonna work on the stomach (No one wants a lil tight ass)

*A good cut: Hit within ~600 calories of the weekly goal -> 11741 / 11200 -> REAL CLOSE, but pass

-> 5/5 points

Goal 4: Back, back, back it up

*Post daily reflections

-> 7/7

20/22 = 90%

Editorializing and more in-depth thoughts to follow on the challenge wrap-up.

Freaking awesome work this challenge.  But rest right now!  No getting sick before Nationals!!  Feel better!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Notables from this challenge:

• Competed in THREE meets
  • Went to Savage Games again and had a great time
  • Hit a new PR for OHP
  • Hit a new PR for bench
  • Finally progressed on my lifts for my last cycle 5/3/1 (ignoring squat because of shoulder issues)
  • Learned and incorporated uprises into my bars routine
  • Learned my double salto pass for floor: https://instagram.com/p/1D2i9KSNxN/ (linking again because excitement)

It feels good to wrap up this challenge with the highlights. The nitty gritty tells a good, but far less interesting story:

Goal 1: I just wanna make you sweat

*Huff and puff: HIIT workouts 2x per week  1 + 1.5 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 8.5

*Flex Zone: Give proper attention to accessory lifts and exercises post-workout 3x per week 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 15

23.5/28 = 83.9%

So... my weak point of HIIT remains a weak point. It's almost amusing at this point. However, I did take my accessories much more seriously as a result of this goal, so it did have the desired effect of getting me to focus on my OTHER weak points that don't involve hating myself for 8-20 minutes while doing sprints. I think I am going to give this goal a rest for the next challenge and focus on some other form of conditioning or cardio endurance. Sprints are just... not working for me because I keep not making myself work for them.

Goal 2: When I dip, you dip, we dip

*Pull: Put in 5 3 days/week of work on pulls and chins. 3 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 16

*Push: Put in 3 days/week of work on push-ups 2 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 3 = 16

*Dip: Put in 3 days/week of work on dips 2 +  3 + 3 + 3 + 2 + N/A = 13

45/50 = 90%

The upper body bodyweight work was very unregulated and not managed well this challenge, but I did see a marked improvement in my upper body lifts and general upper body strength/fatigue levels at gymnastics. I should have structured this around a progressive rep scheme program for these exercises, but even without doing that, I did see some benefits! Next time, I think I will try to follow a pull-up progression program because I do want to see some real gains on my pull-ups. 

Goal 3: First we gonna work on the stomach (No one wants a lil tight ass)

*A good cut: Hit within ~600 calories of the weekly goal

+5 points for each week goal hit- > 5 + 5 + 0 + 5 + 5 + 5

*Measurable success: Progress photos for Challenge Start, Week 3 end, and Challenge End

Take measurements at Challenge Start, Week 3 end, and Challenge End, +2 points for each measurement/photo combination -> 2 + 2 + Not taking photos/measurements until Thursday morning

29/34 = 85.3%

I think this was too much leeway for my goals. Going over on my calories should have been the exception, not the norm. I set a higher weekly limit than I had intended for this cut to encourage better compliance and keep my energy levels up during this very busy workout/competition season, which was good for energy levels but not very good for actually reducing body mass. I didn't see the level of changes I was aiming to achieve, but as the desired outcome for this goal was to look + feel good about my body during Nationals, I think I am actually doing OK. This is being extended until Thursday/Friday, so we'll see.

I'm on the fence as to what to do with regards to my diet once I get back. On one hand, I'd kind of like to go for maintenance just because it's easier and less stressful. On the other hand, I do want to trim down a bit more. I haven't been below 140 since I really increased my workout volume and joined NF, so I am really curious to see what my body might look like down there with more muscle on it.

Goal 4: Back, back, back it up

*Post daily reflections: These can be nebulous thoughts about something during the day, a response to a particular situation, a self-evaluation of a new skill, a victory I didn't think I would achieve, really anything that makes me stop and think meaningfully about what I got out of my day, workout or otherwise -> 7 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 6 + 7

41/42 = 97.6%

This goal wasn't as helpful for me as it was the last time I used it, but it was still a good exercise. It was much less focused this time around, so I think I just kind of threw whatever words I wanted up there without really looking for insight or reflection most of the time. It was just an excuse to talk more. I did compile them together again for my own reference and have them saved in a Google doc. Looking over them, there were some good insights about behavior linkages, the importance of taking things one step at a time, and trying to look at the big picture when it comes to both good and bad workouts. One big thing that came out of this is the resolution to create a "rainy day" plan for when a workout falls through or I'm not feeling well.  I've started writing this up and may incorporate it into the next challenge. 

89.2% overall.

giphy.gif

I am pretty pleased with this challenge. I feel like I am in a good place with upper body strength gains and I had a good time with the accessories and bodyweight portion of this challenge. I am wrapping up my current lifting program and looking forward to starting a new one. While I didn't conquer the sprints/HIIT beast, I think I am ready to take on something else in that arena next time around. Gymnastics these past 6 weeks has been really intense, but there have been significant improvements, new skills learned, meet experience gained, and a lot of preparation completed. I feel like I am in a much better place going into Nationals this year than I was last year.

My cut wasn't great and while I am waiting to see what the "final results" are on Thursday, I do feel that there have been some improvements in my body composition and I have been generally been feeling more positive about how I look in our competition leotard which was the big objective for this anyway. 

• Like 5

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Awesome job this challenge!  I really hope you do take it easy and rest a bit before nationals.  I've been fighting off some sinus crud for a week now, and I can't imagine having to flip around while all fuzzy headed.  I hope you can defeat the sinus crud and then go kick some butt at nationals!  :)

Out of curiosity, do you not get HIIT type work from your gymnastics practices?  Maybe I'm just trying to be a bad influence, since I, too, hate doing HIIT, but I basically decided that parkour class gives me enough HIIT that I don't need to worry about any extra.  

I can't wait to see what you come up with for next challenge, after you get past the Nationals and have a bit more time to focus on non-gymnastics things.  I would be shocked if you didn't see some huge gains on the pull-ups as soon as you can dedicate a bit more time to them.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Thank you -- me too! Feel better soon, yourself!

Practice definitely skews towards the sprint / interval side of things, but I'd say my rest periods are too long to count as real HIIT. Other than vault practice, which I do rarely, or when I am trying to get a lot done in a short period of time, I have pretty lengthy resting periods so I don't really get that same results as real HIIT. The point of the  goal this time around was to help my endurance for my floor routine, but I think I am going to be ok now that I am dropping a tumbling pass anyway. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Good job, that's about as close to perfection as you can get in the real world! :)

Will it be difficult to have a proper cut whilst still taking a lifting program seriously? Also check out whether cinnamon might do magical things to keep you lean while still eating lots... I've heard rumours about it, and I stay lean on a diet that includes cinnamon, but I haven't experimented with whether the cinnamon is doing anything other than just be tasty :P

And yes, I'll be excited if you work on pull-ups! I'd advise you to analyse where your weak parts are (or ask us) so that you don't end up doing a million rows if your lats are strong and it's your grip or your bracchialis that needs the extra work (or vice versa).

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Nice job staying strong and consistent throughout this whole challenge! It seems like you figured out a good path forward, too, in regards to what you want.

813480542904701252.gif

Can't wait to see what you're gonna do when you don't have to focus so much on gymnastics (even though I love hearing about your flippy adventures!) :D

After some thought, I posted up a new challenge on the Warriors forum for next challenge cycle, as I really want to focus on my lifts and get some good feedback there. The new challenge is up and I promise I'll still talk gymnastics ;)http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/62985-raptrons-covert-ops/

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

It's so hard to keep up with you!!! You're always doing new, amazing things! You are my NF and gymnastics inspiration!!