Raptron Gets Straight Up Gym-NASTY

raptron

@KBGirl -- Yeeeaaaah. Not a lot left to the imagination in the pubic area in these things. I've got both right and left splits just fine but there is a difference between splits on the floor -> jumping into splits AGAINST gravity rather than having gravity help out -> doing that on a balance beam. I need to work more hyper splits and just more POWER in the form of kicks and drills to improve my split in the air. 

Try this link for the PDF cheatsheet if you are still interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29127703/l9_l10_cheatsheet.pdfI think it will be mostly nonsense to most people, though.

@Svilardo2 -- Welcome back!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Whoa, wait...Raptron can fly?!?!?!?!

Oh,and purdy leo.

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

tumblr_m6v7edbWKM1qf9mevo1_500.gif

Day 1.1

Gymnastics practice on a cold, cold Monday night. We've actually had a bit of luck this winter as the building has been undergoing construction on the walls and windows, so they've been wrapped in plastic and have been letting far less cold into the gym. It's actually been possible to sweat in February, which is all sorts of magical! 

The class today was huge so there was no way I could get in any cross-tumbling or do any floor routines, dance through or full. That meant that instead I did some tumbling basics and moved to beam. I spent quite a while on beam working on those damn full turns, which are really just marginally controlled falling for me, cleaning up my dive cartwheel + pop cartwheel flight series, and playing around with jumps. My pop cartwheel leaves a lot to be desired as a flight element -- your hands and feet must both be off the beam at the same time for it to count as a flight element, and I've been waiting too long on the push-off from the cartwheel to standing. It's 100% nerves. I'd much rather be doing a round-off because at least that is a clear flight element even if you are being timid about it, but my round-offs are very inconsistent on balance beam and hurt my toes to land because I am almost always short.

I do feel much better about my switch leaps and I do think I've found a new jump series: split jump 1/4 (land facing sideways) into the split jump facing sideways. That would give me a 1 tenth bonus and gives me another B or higher skills just in case I need it if something like my pop cartwheel's B gets downgraded to a regular cartwheel's A. 

Not a bad practice. I didn't get as much done as I wanted though and only part of that could be blamed on the large class. 

G1. HIIT + Accessories: --

G2. Pull, push, dip: --

G3. A good cut: 12% of weekly goal

G4. Back it up: I spent a lot of practice thinking about how differently my gymnastics time would be spent if I hadn't joined the rec team. I wouldn't have to worry about routine requirements or practicing things I hate like full turns on beam or goofy jumps on floor. I would have another three months of complete workout freedom to pursue whatever skills strike my fancy. But, would I? And if I did, is that really any better? Sure, I might have relearned my back handsprings on beam, but I wouldn't have spent the time with my teammates bonding at meets or bemoaning dance series. Plus, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from putting full routines together and performing them. I'm not a HUGE fan of the meet scene, but I do really enjoy putting these things together and competing with my friends as a team. Plus, a nice leo and sparkle hairspray don't hurt either. I'm glad I made the decision to join, but I will keep wondering. Maybe I'll be better about channeling this curiosity into pursing brand new, harder skills once meet season ends. 

• Like 7

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

G4. Back it up: I spent a lot of practice thinking about how differently my gymnastics time would be spent if I hadn't joined the rec team. I wouldn't have to worry about routine requirements or practicing things I hate like full turns on beam or goofy jumps on floor. I would have another three months of complete workout freedom to pursue whatever skills strike my fancy. But, would I? And if I did, is that really any better? Sure, I might have relearned my back handsprings on beam, but I wouldn't have spent the time with my teammates bonding at meets or bemoaning dance series. Plus, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from putting full routines together and performing them. I'm not a HUGE fan of the meet scene, but I do really enjoy putting these things together and competing with my friends as a team. Plus, a nice leo and sparkle hairspray don't hurt either. I'm glad I made the decision to join, but I will keep wondering. Maybe I'll be better about channeling this curiosity into pursing brand new, harder skills once meet season ends. 

This is something that I've sort of wondered about, from the other side and in regards to weightlifting. I have been doing workouts at home using my bodyweight and that has been fun and engages the part of my brain that loved ballet/technique but I sorta wonder if I wouldn't have been better off finding some kind of beginner's group or team to lift weights with - which I also love, from prior experience - and working in a group setting. Definitely seems that going solo/being in a group each offers benefits and drawbacks but perhaps the most valuable part of training and competing is just that you're forced out of your comfort zone by the requirements of the sport?

• Like 1

My body tells me no, but I want more! I. Want. More!

Current Challenge
Pavel Sneaks Back In

Level 2

Half Orc

Assassin

Awesome job on the bars! Sorry you didn't do as well as you had hoped but it sounds like it was a good learning experience. The new leos are really cool looking too.

I think part of the joy of sports like gymnastics is spending time with others and learning from them, even if it's not neccessarily learning the exact skill you had gone in wanting to learn.  Also, being on the team gives a little bit more pressure which might push to do things you otherwise wouldn't have :D

yay on the leaps!

As has already been said, going out of your comfort zone due to team and meets can be a good thing. Enjoying the bonding time is a definite bonus, that's what makes a lot of happy moments and memories

I guess both is valuable. With the meet season pushing you into regular, out of comfort zone training, it'll be easier to keep that up when you have the freedom to do whatever. The inspiration you get out of playful, freedom season might then sparkle up your next routine again :)

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

I spent a lot of practice thinking about how differently my gymnastics time would be spent if I hadn't joined the rec team. I wouldn't have to worry about routine requirements or practicing things I hate like full turns on beam or goofy jumps on floor. I would have another three months of complete workout freedom to pursue whatever skills strike my fancy. But, would I? And if I did, is that really any better? Sure, I might have relearned my back handsprings on beam, but I wouldn't have spent the time with my teammates bonding at meets or bemoaning dance series. Plus, there is a certain satisfaction that comes from putting full routines together and performing them. I'm not a HUGE fan of the meet scene, but I do really enjoy putting these things together and competing with my friends as a team. Plus, a nice leo and sparkle hairspray don't hurt either. I'm glad I made the decision to join, but I will keep wondering. Maybe I'll be better about channeling this curiosity into pursing brand new, harder skills once meet season ends. 

I think there's something to be said about having events for which you need a polished routine and need to push yourself a little harder.  If not for the meet season, you'd probably just coast a lot more, avoid the skills that you find challenging, and end up not being as capable of a gymnast.  Won't you have an entire non-meet season to enjoy workout freedom?

I had similar issues when I was practicing martial arts.  I didn't like competitions, but you almost need events or competitions to keep yourself sharp and polished.  Also, if not for such things, you really would end up just kind of aimlessly practicing whatever.  I was very fortunate in that we had a demonstration team, so I could get all of the (good) pressure of needing polished material without having the stress of having to compete.  

On another note, I can see why you're having a lot of difficulty with your cut and reaching your target weight.  In the leo shot, it just doesn't look like you have much fat to cut.  You look awesome!  Maybe you've just added some muscle mass over the last year.

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

You're all right, I think. Competing does push me to do things I wouldn't normally do in many ways, and I do have that balance between competition season and the rest of the year. Giving my lazy performance the rest of the year a second look, I don't think I would get any significant benefit out of MORE of that. I'm much less driven and goof around a lot more, which is fun but doesn't exactly mean I'm pushing the limits of my skills during that time... at all... "Coasting" is definitely a good word for it. I think we would do better to challenge each other more -- my team is a bit too accommodating in that sense. No one is really challenging you to try new skills or relearn old, hard ones. They're supportive if you take it on, but not really challenging you to do so. 

@Nymeria -- Thanks! I have certainly put on some muscle since last year. My shoulders and upper back especially, though my legs also seem to keep growing whether or not I want them to. I definitely do have a decent amount of bf% to cut though. The leo is tight but also a bit flattering in the midsection area.  I also want my hips and butt to stay within the spandex a bit more than they currently do, haha. 

Day 1.2

Regular ol' gym day. Rebooting up this challenge with a 5/3/1 cycle -- except for squats. Squats are on linear work right now because I'm fixing my depth issue and just doing 3-4 sets of 5 and bringing that up by 10 every week until I'm about where I was on 5/3/1. 

Warm-up row: 750m

OHP

5 x 45#

5 x 45#

3 x 55#

5 x 60#

5 x 65#

3 x 75#

3 x 75#

2 x 75# <-- this trio of 75# were supposed to be a 5+ set. Wasn't happening.

5 x 65#

Deadlift

5 x 95#

5 x 115#

3 x 135#

5 x 150#

5 x 170#

5 x 195#

1 x 195#

Straight-legged deadlifts @ 135#: 3 x 5

One legged kb deadlifts @ 20kg: 3 x 5 each leg

Tricep dips: 12, 12, 12

Pull-ups: 1, 1, 1

Negatives: 4, 4, 4

Later at home: 1 + 1 chin-ups and another 4 negatives, 3 x 5 dips

I realized as I was walking home from the gym that I wouldn't be going to the gym three times this week. The meet on Sunday is in the afternoon, but I am NOT going to do strength work right before a competition. By the time I get home from Connecticut, it'll be far too late for my gym to be open and I'll probably be exhausted. I'm adjusting this week's goals to accommodate that loss of a workout day. I've still kept 2x HIIT, but I missed my opportunity to do it yesterday. Maybe tonight and Friday? Or maybe I'll make myself do plyos at gymnastics on Thursday. We'll see!

G1. HIIT + Accessories: 0/2 + 1/2

G2. Pull, push, dip: 1/4 + 0/2 + 1/2

G3. A good cut: 26.8% of weekly goal

G4. Back it up: I got a bit of the gym-grumps today when I couldn't get that 75# up for 5 consecutive reps, but honestly, I have not been keeping as faithful to the program as I was a couple of months back. With all of the snow days, travel, etc. my gym regularity has not been as strong, so I should not be getting grumpy about a turn of lackluster performance. If I bust my ass again, I'll see those lifts go up cleanly again, I know it. 

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

I may have to take you up on that in the next challenge, which is post-Nationals. ;)

Raptron, alot assassin

gym-grumps or not - you did it and that's what counts. Big workout as is, isn't it?

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

3a553bc89f7d4f575baeb6348035aaed.png

Look at that judge crane her neck back to look at your leap! I don't think they were reckoning on Raptron jump height when they set up the furniture for this...

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

The pdf didn't make much sense no, but that was actually exactly the point of seeing it, wasn't it? :)

I love the drive competition gives, but then I don't have to polish things and string it together with not-at-all challenging skills. And I also love performance jitters. Do you?

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

After seeing the Gun Show thread you started and seeing all flippy competitions in your future, please....please tell me you end all routines like this:

tumblr_mo8wgx9u3x1s7vx4eo1_500.gif

if not, don't tell me, it will shatter the dream and make me cry...

• Like 2

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I actually end my current floor routine kneeling and playing air guitar, which I feel is just as, if not more appropriate when my music is a Top Gun medley: https://soundcloud.com/raptron-1/top-gun-medley-for-floor

@KB Girl -- I could take or leave performance jitters for gymnastics. I like them in GENERAL, but feeling jittery when balance is one of your priorities is rough. I do love the post-competition feeling, though. Even if I didn't have a good meet, it always feels good to have done it and for it to be over. 

Day 1.3

I was supposed to donate blood last night but got deferred due to low hemoglobin, which is my own fault. I'm usually really near the cutoff and take extra steps to iron-up in the preceding weeks, but I had forgotten about taking those steps and lo and behold, I was denied. I've rescheduled for mid-March and will be better about improving my intake over the next few weeks. I probably should be better about it in general -- hemoglobin is important! 

I should have used this as an opportunity to do pull-ups/chin-ups + HIIT, but I did not. I was kind of bummed and had a lot of plans for the night, so it didn't happen. 

G1. HIIT + Accessories: 0/2 + 1/2

G2. Pull, push, dip: 1/4 + 0/2 + 1/2

G3. A good cut: 44.2% of weekly goal

G4. Back it up: Honestly, even though the challenge has only begun and should be on my mind more, it didn't even occur to me to do bodyweight work. I am a very big visual reminders person, so I may put up a calendar or piece of paper in the kitchen or in the hallway to remind myself to put in the extra work on these at home. I think it would help me immensely!

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

I actually end my current floor routine kneeling and playing air guitar, which I feel is just as, if not more appropriate when my music is a Top Gun medley: https://soundcloud.com/raptron-1/top-gun-medley-for-floor

Oh my god, please, please, PLEASE, tell me there is footage of this somewhere that I can steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I must see this!!

Current Challenge

I've been denied from donating blood once for the same reason, and it was right when I switched my diet to a pescetarian diet. The day I learned that protein isn't the only thing vegetarians have to worry about! It was a bizarre thing, and since I'm O+ the blood drive people were disappointed. I don't remember -- are you on a low/no meat diet? Or is it a genetics thing?

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

@Mitch -- I'll probably post a video after Nationals. Maaaybe before that if I am satisfied with how the floor routine goes at one of the two earlier meets.

@blkhole -- I imagine there is some genetic component or maybe something impacting my iron absorption, but mostly I think it's just my diet right now. I eat a pretty substantial amount of meat, but it's largely chicken breast + fish right now with the cut, which have far less iron than red meat and organ meats. I've also been neglecting my leafy greens a bit. I'll probably double up on the greens + incorporate more heart and liver into my diet over the next few weeks like I normally try to do. Maybe I can use this as an excuse to go out for $1 oysters as well. ;)

Raptron, alot assassin

Actually this makes me think that donating blood is nice as a sort of test whether you are doing well with blood values too! My blood type is not that rare so I don't really bother (maybe that's wrong, I'm not sure how much supply/demand there is here) and I'm not too fond of needles but that wouldn't be an excuse. If you just prepare yourself I'm sure you will make it the next session, especially if you say you've had this before and are aware of the problems you have.