Out of motivation - need help

Hey guys, here's the story...

I started wall climbing somewhere in November and I was really enjoying it, but as I was getting better at it my forearms decided to let me go....verdict:tendinitis in both elbows.

So I'm off the hook since early December, I tried some exercises that didn't involve the arms too much, but everything started to feel very boring and now I'm completely out of motivation. I tried to get back on track but it just won't come easily. Both of my elbows are still out, and while I know I can do some other exercises and I know the benefits of it, I just won't do it.

Bad pattern here, laziness, procrastination, call it what you will, I just can't find the right motives to get it going again...

A bad news doesn't come alone, my dedication to eating healthy is slowly going away as well.

What are your motivations? What is it that keeps you going on and on? How do you jump back on the wagon when you fell off?

No matter how much I think think about it, it seems that it's better to sit on the sofa watching stupid TV shows rather than going to the man cave and train hard for 30 minutes.

Here's my secret: Don't rely on motivation, rely on discipline. I can't even begin to tell you how many days I've gone into the gym totally void of enthusiasm or motivation. In fact, yesterday was one of those days. I'm pretty sure the day before that was the same story. "SSDD" - same shit, different day. Sometimes I do overdo it on the food or decide I can slack off at fitness. But, I always feel crappy afterward, so I'm back at it the next day. I do this stuff for my health, because 90 extra pounds on my body made me sick with a myriad of ailments I'd rather not have. I want to feel alive and healthy and vibrant and strong and capable. In fact, I deserve that. YOU deserve that, too. That's why I show up. I show up and push through it and keep going and that evolved into discipline that carries me on my worst days and gets me back in the gym when I fail. I recommend not waiting for inspiration to strike. If you want something to happen, you have to go out and make it happen. Waiting could result in something or nothing, and I'd rather improve my odds of success by seeking success out myself. Motivation comes and goes, and NOTHING external will move you if you don't want to move. Discipline comes from within. Work on that, and you'll find that it becomes a habit and laziness is less and less of an option. 

• Like 3

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

See my instagram for photos of my training and also my Sphynx cats.

I log my daily programming at my battle log.

Challenges: Current - Warrior 2 - Warrior 1

I wholeheartedly agree with Danica. Discipline is the most important ingredient in any successful endeavor; motivation is as nebulous as the weather.

That being said, discipline (like most things) is often best built in small steps rather than giant leaps. So if you're struggling to do the kinds of things you know you can and should do in the man cave, just pick one thing to commit to once a day - one set of squats or lunges, or perhaps just 25 situps - instead of attempting to elbow (pun totally intended :P) your way into an entire workout routine immediately. The key is make a point of doing what you committed to do, regardless of how you feel about that decision.

Also, in my experience, it is entirely likely that after doing the thing you said you were going to do, you will find yourself thinking about the other things you could do "since you're there already". Go with the flow if that's where it takes you; and if not, still pat yourself on the back for succeeding at what you set out to do for that day.

• Like 3

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Thanks Danica and Evicious ( the pun actually made me laugh), your words are very apreciated, and I started again 3 days ago by doing a 7 minute workout (seven app) it´s not too hard, doesn't take as long as my normal routine and does not involve the elbows.

Teros , I don't have enough anger or emotions to channel through workouts....

Cannonball, thanks formthe link, will read it. I know change does not happen over night and it is not related to my lack of motivation. I don't have much to lose, only 10-15 pounds, I am generally content with my appearance in fact, that might explain the lack of motivation....when I first started my goal was to look good for my wedding...now that the wedding has passed, I feel like I can take it easy, which is not the case.

Like the ladies mentionned, I think I need to go with discipline instead.

Thanks for your good words everybody, I will try...no...I will continue doing the 7 min. workout until I feel my strength is back and will ove on to my regular routine once I am healed.