The Wee Terror Heads into Battle

WeeTerror

That's awesome!! Way to go! I do the opposite, no carbs before dinner. I'm a bit of a carboholic. If I start eating carbs during the day (especially bad ones), I have a really difficult time not continuing to eat them throughout the rest of the day. And when I do have them, I try to limit them to non-grain carbs. When I do well, I can really see and feel a difference.

That could be helpful. What are you using as your mark for "too high" for carbs and "too low" for protein?

The "too low" isn't based on grams of protein, but ratios. Usually I don't manage to get above 12% or so of my daily calories in protein, and I know that's too low. My carbs are usually around 65% I currently have my goals as 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein.

If you think it could help you, and that you can afford it (it can sometime be expensive) then go for it :). I know I've learnt a lot by seeing one and the results are here to prove that I made a good choice !

You just have to know that it's only a guideline to what you have to eat, it can be adjusted. I know that, because I strength-train, I need to increase my protein intake and reduce the carbs (easier said than done) so I'll just modify what he told me so that I have everything right (or mostly right).

I think I just would like someone to look at my food diaries and say "Here's where you're making mistakes and how you can fix it". It's actually covered by my insurance, so it would only cost my co-pay. I just feel like I could be making much better choices, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

r. I actually stopped weighing or measuring myself except for once every two weeks and just kept wearing the same jeans (after washing them so they tightened up again) to see how they fit. Within two weeks, I couldn't even wear my size 16s anymore because after an hour, they were sagging around my hips and butt. After two months, my size 14s were doing the same. Even now after not actively being on my diet, I still can't wear my 14s for too long without them falling. 12s are still a bit too snug, though. >< Means I have to do laundry more often.

The first time I lost weight (I wasn't trying, and it all came back), the only reason I noticed is because my clothes were suddenly giant on me. I'm both looking forward to being there again and dreading it because that means having to buy new clothes. I should start saving up now. Create a "hot body" account that I'll use for new clothes once I get there. Maybe put in $10 for every week I do all my workouts, or $20 for every five pounds I lose or something.

You've inspired me to take some measurements (which I dread) but at least I'll have something other than that # on the scale to look at which I think is important for doing strength training. 

I hate taking measurements. I tried to be very honest and not pull it so tight that it would be inaccurate, which I have a tendency to do so I can get numbers I like better. Kind of defeats the purpose. But if we don't measure, we can't track how AMAZING our progress is going to be.

• Like 2

STR 1::STA.5::DEX 0::WIS 1::CON 1::CHA 0

Previous challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60781-the-wee-terror-heads-into-battle/

Week 1 Mini-Quest: SMART goals. Do my goals meet this criteria? Absolutely! They involve Specific statements (5 inches, 5 workouts) that are tangibly measured (what's my waist size) that are Attainable (through regular workouts and clean eating). They are Reasonable (none of this Scarlet O'Hara 17 inch waist BS) in their expectations, and can be performed in a Timely manner.

I call this a win.

In other news here is my week 1 workout schedule (because not planning my workouts is just a set up to not getting them done)

Monday: Strength training. Basic bodyweight exercises with a few dumbbell moves thrown in.

Tuesday - Spin class

Wednesday- Strength training (abs and arms, to give my legs a chance to rest after Spin)

Thursday- Step aerobics

Friday - Strength training (same routine as Monday)

I'm also thinking of getting a few personal training sessions at Y. I'd like someone to be my tour guide of the free weights section, make sure my form is good, etc. Cardio I've got down, but strength I'm kind of floundering on. It was so much easier in the Navy when all I had to deal with were sit ups and push ups.

As well, I'm investigating local yoga studios as the yoga program at the Y isn't as challenging as I'd like. And aerial fitness gyms, because that shit is wicked nifty.

On a sad note, my trusty stability ball has a hole. I'm assuming it rolled after my cat and she shut it down.

Previous challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60781-the-wee-terror-heads-into-battle/

What's that new favorite cookbook you mentioned in your intro post?  I went vegan for a while and LOVED this site: http://www.thugkitchen.com/.  I was wondering if it's the same!  

Good luck with your challenge, following along!  

High Wood Elf - Level 2

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge:  2.2  Past Challenges:  2.1  1        A little about me . . .

Yes! Exactly that one. It's got great recipes and hilarious along with it!

What were your favorite veggie protein sources? My protein is currently sufficient in general, but I'm looking for ways to bump it up for muscle gains.

Awesome!  I'm pretty basic with veggie protein - mostly beans and tofu, some tempeh.  I had a lot of hummus sandwiches (and still love them)!  What do you like?  I'm not vegetarian anymore, but I do want to reintroduce more veggie dishes.  

High Wood Elf - Level 2

Current Challenge:  2.2  Past Challenges:  2.1  1        A little about me . . .

Chickpeas 4 life. They are so yummy. I've been experimenting with tofu recipes. My problem is being lazy: I like to cook, I just need to actually do it. Lately, I've been existing on steamed veggies which, while not exactly unhealthy, isn't going to allow me to make the strength gains I want to.

What were your favorite veggie protein sources? My protein is currently sufficient in general, but I'm looking for ways to bump it up for muscle gains.

This post on MyFitnessPal has a spreadsheet you might be interested in, listing protein sources by caloric density and protein density.  It's posted by a vegetarian, one of the moderators of that particular group.  The discussion group it's in has other very good information (even if you're not into weightlifting, as I'm not).

• Like 1
human recruit lvl 0

(or if it fits in your daily plan, have a brownie or a half)

If they were homemade brownies, or ones that I knew I loved, I'd totally do this!  If it's just commercial stuff...well...you can buy that any time you like, so it's not really something special and I'd probably save the treat for something I'd enjoy more.

FWIW, if the "I'd look socially awkward not taking a brownie in front of everyone" gets to you (hey, I've worked places like that!) you can always protest a bit that you're very full before finally "caving" and agreeing to take a small one (cut it in half if they're really big; people do this all the time).  Then just hold on to it forever/take it back to your desk and discreetly dump it later.  I hate doing this due to food waste, and I'd rather leave the brownies for someone who'll enjoy them more, but if people are going to be really pushy about it, hey, go ahead, take one.  But they can't shove it down your throat.

P.S. Fudge brownies for the win!  Down with cake brownies! (If I want cake brownies, I'll eat chocolate cake. :tongue:)

P.P.S. What is everyone's favourite brownie recipe anyway?  I'm on the hunt for a satisfactorily fudgy one that I can easily scale down to make in the bottom of a loaf pan.  It's just husband and I and neither of us need to be eating that many brownies...

human recruit lvl 0

I ate the brownie and it was amazing. Moist and chocolate-y without being overly sugary. And there was a warm, and gooey lava chocolate center. Worth ever extra calorie. I'll just call it my cheat day for the week. I have no regrets.

The best brownies are the ones that have Guiness in it. Or Bailey's. Guiness is good because the stout brings out the rich chocolatey-ness. Bailey's adds sweetness. Or Guiness brownies with Bailey's cream cheese frosting. Erm, this is probably not helpful on a fitness challenge thread. . .but I love to bake!

Fudgy brownies have fewer eggs. More eggs = more cake-like. I can't find my cookbook that has my brownie recipe, but look for a recipe that has fewer eggs, and also a mix of regular chocolate and bittersweet for a stronger, richer flavor. 

• Like 1

That brownie definitely sounds like it was worth the calories!  I really think that's the best way to go about it - a fabulous, fudgy brownie every once in a while is better than icky, processed brownies every day.   :tickled_pink:   That's what I hope to get to in my life, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!  

High Wood Elf - Level 2

Ok, so now I need to eat some brownie !! The one you ate looks sooo good ! 

I found a recipe that uses zucchinis as well as apple sauce and bananas to make a healthier version, I might try it if I have all the ingredients !

If it's good I'll share it :).

giphy.gif

Ellith - Level 2 - Night elf assassin
STR 3.5|DEX 0|CON 2|STA 3.5|WIS 1|CHA 1

A little bit about me : Here
Challenges : 1 - Current challenge

I ate the brownie and it was amazing. Moist and chocolate-y without being overly sugary. And there was a warm, and gooey lava chocolate center. Worth ever extra calorie. I'll just call it my cheat day for the week. I have no regrets.

The best brownies are the ones that have Guiness in it. Or Bailey's. Guiness is good because the stout brings out the rich chocolatey-ness. Bailey's adds sweetness. Or Guiness brownies with Bailey's cream cheese frosting. Erm, this is probably not helpful on a fitness challenge thread. . .but I love to bake!

Fudgy brownies have fewer eggs. More eggs = more cake-like. I can't find my cookbook that has my brownie recipe, but look for a recipe that has fewer eggs, and also a mix of regular chocolate and bittersweet for a stronger, richer flavor. 

Whoa.  Guiness in brownies? Don't tell my husband...

I was going to make a flourless chocolate cake for dessert this weekend but now I may just have to try Guiness brownies with Bailey's cream cheese frosting!

human recruit lvl 0

Whoa.  Guiness in brownies? Don't tell my husband...

I was going to make a flourless chocolate cake for dessert this weekend but now I may just have to try Guiness brownies with Bailey's cream cheese frosting!

Doooo itttttt. Wait, no, don't do it until the end of the challenge? I'm a bad influence.

Week One Assessment:

Food: I give myself a solid 80 for the first week of the challenge. My eating wasn't great, particularly for dinners. I did eat out several times, usually out of laziness. However, when I did eat home I made good choices. I even cooked a new recipe from my Thug Kitchen vegan cookbook.

Exercise: I made 4 out of my 5 planned workouts. I skipped Thursday's cardio due to not feeling well, which was a valid reason, so I don't feel *too* guilty about it. 

Overall, it was progress but not perfect. If I can do even a little bit better next week, I will consider it a win. Small steps to big chances and all that. Tomorrow morning I'll take my measurements and see if I saw any chances.

• Like 3

Week Two workout plan:

Monday - step aerobics. I found my step so I can do this without even leaving the house.

Tuesday - strength

Wednesday - Spinning

Thursday - strength

Friday - kickboxing

Here's my strength workout if anybody would like to critique it. Currently doing two sets of 12-15 reps with 8 lb weights

Plank (30 sec)

Chest press on stability ball

Walking lunges

Boat twist w/ medicine ball (6 lb)

Single-arm row

Squat

Scorpian plank (plank where you bring your knee to your elbow)

Overhead press

Weighted hip raises

Lunge-twist-curl

Food plan:

I have my usuals for breakfast and lunch (oatmeal, salads, fruits for snacks). For dinner I have my one new recipe to try: mango curry with veggies and tofu. I just need to stop hitting up Panera on the way home or getting pizza or these workouts are going to be worthless.

• Like 2

Your first week was GREAT!  I think 4/5 exercises and an 80% on your eating is awesome.  I look forward to hearing about how your strength training goes for this week.  I want to incorporate some kind of at-home circuit in a future challenge with free weights, but don't quite know where to start.

And Panera.  YUM.  

High Wood Elf - Level 2

I want to incorporate some kind of at-home circuit in a future challenge with free weights, but don't quite know where to start.

I mostly cobbled stuff together from fitness magazines. Basically, I picked ten workouts: three abs, three arms, three legs, and one that incorporates all three. I'm sure there is a better way to go about it, but for a starting point, I decided not to overthink it.

• Like 1

Congrats on your 1st week, you did great !

I'll have to try the Guinness brownie, sounds really good !!

Good luck on dealing with the emotional eating. I know it can be really hard to manage, that's why I can't have Nutella at home anymore (if I'm sad or nervous or anything I can go through one small jar in one time).

• Like 1

Ellith - Level 2 - Night elf assassin
STR 3.5|DEX 0|CON 2|STA 3.5|WIS 1|CHA 1

A little bit about me : Here
Challenges : 1 - Current challenge