My Little Pony Changes Direction

Paisley

OK so up till now most of my challenges have been pretty similar. It was a formula that worked for quite a while, but now hasn’t been working for a while. So I figured it’s time to change things up a bit, try something different.

Goal 1 – Strength Training

Usually I just try and specify how much exercise I want to do. I’m finding now that whilst I can get out do something, a lot of the time the intensity isn’t in it. I keep saying I need someone to work out with but I’ve decided that since I can’t have that I’ll use you guys reading this. This time round I’m going to make some goals for how much I want to lift – put them just out of reach and see if I can push myself harder in order to meet them.

So based on that my goal is going to be….by the end of the challenge I want to be lifting the following numbers:

Squat – 115 lb
Bench – 85 lb
Overhead press – 55 lb
Deadlift – 190 lb

Some of those may be a bit of a stretch but I’m going to go for it.

Grading:
A – reach goals
B – within 5% of goals
C – within 10 % of goals
D – within 15% of goals
F – less

Goal 2 – Incidental Exercise

So I realized today that my kids are so out of shape it’s not funny. We went trampolining and the kids were done well before I was. I was also thinking that I need to figure out a way to work more incidental exercise into my day – you know walking rather than driving (may be a bit hard at the moment).

So I decided that for this challenge I am going to try and get 30 mins incidental exercise each day – along with the kids.

Grading:
Each day has a possibility of 4 points –
1 point for 10 min (I wanted to make sure that even if I couldn’t get a full 30 mins I at least did something so some points for some workout).
2 points for 20 mins
3 points for 30 mins
An additional point if I can get the kids to join me.
Total of 28 points per week.

A – 23 - 28 points
B – 18 -22 points
C – 12-17 points
F –0 -11 points

Goal 3 – No Eating after 7:30pm

So a lot of my binge eating occurs after the kids are in bed and its probably my worst habit so I really want to try and break it. At the end of the last challenge I started trying to limit food after 7:30 pm and it was working well so I want to make this a proper goal:

at least 6 times/week no food after 7:30 pm

Grading:
A – 6-7 nights
B – 4-5 night
C – 2 – 3 night
F - <2 nights

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

My other bad eating time is the afternoon. At around 3-4 pm both kids usually come to me with “I’m starving†and I usually am to so I want to make an effort to make a proper, at least relatively health snack for all of us every afternoon so stop the constant snacking.

1 point/per if I make a dedicated afternoon tea
1 point for no additional snacking
1 point for making it healthy.

Maximum of three points /day – 21 points / week.

A – 18 - 21 points
B – 14 -17 points
C – 10-13 points
F –0 - 9 points

Goal 5 – lifestyle

So lately I’ve been focusing on my crafting which has been great but I want to make sure I’m also getting all the thing done around the house that I want to.

So the plan is:
1 thing per week off the list of things to do around the house - mainly painting.
1 crafty item per week.

Grading A – 6 of each
B – 5 of each
C – 4 of each
D – 3 of each
F - < 2 of each.

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

Nice challenge MLP. Just to be clear, what do you hope to do at those goal weights? 1RM, 5RM, or 5x5? Also, are you still doing 5x5, and how do you know when to add weight? I'm curious if you are still seeing linear gains or not...

And I def hear you on the eating after the kids go to bed. If I pull out something to eat, my son always wants a bite. That keeps me honest, but when he goes to bed, all bets are off. I am holding myself to a 7pm cut off!

Nice challenge MLP. Just to be clear, what do you hope to do at those goal weights? 1RM, 5RM, or 5x5? Also, are you still doing 5x5, and how do you know when to add weight? I'm curious if you are still seeing linear gains or not...

And I def hear you on the eating after the kids go to bed. If I pull out something to eat, my son always wants a bite. That keeps me honest, but when he goes to bed, all bets are off. I am holding myself to a 7pm cut off!

Yeah the whole linear gains things never seems to work for me - I'm quickly realizing once again the 5 x 5 really doesn't work for me so I'm switching over to essentially the mad cow program but I'm thinking of tweaking it a little as, as it stands, I don't feel like I do quite enough. 5 x 5 is too much at each weight, mad cow 1 x 5 not quite enough so taking inspiration from you once again I think I'll modify it into a reverse pyramid type set up. do a ramp up of 4 sets of 5 to the max weight. 1 set of 5 at max weight, then another couple of sets with more reps back at a lower weight. I find that if I do too much before my working weight I'm too tired to do the big set but then after the working set I'm like well I could do more at a lower weight, so that's probably what I will do. Hopefully I'll have it workout out properly for Monday.

AS for when to increase I'll go by the mad cow workout and do an increase in the last workout each week. The numbers I quoted are based on me increasing every week by either 2.5lb (presses) or 5lb (squat and deadlift) each week.

but yeah basically if I get a 1 RM at those weights I'll class it as a pass but of course I'll try for 3 or 5.

And yeah I was thinking of pushing my time out to 8pm in the hopes of having a few desserts after the kids are in bed, but then I thought if I'm not willing to let the kids have dessert, then I certainly shouldn't be having any - so the 7:30 allows us to have dessert as a family on occasions which I'm happy with but no sneaking it in after the kids are in bed.

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

I like the goal including your kids as well.  Mine is still too young to work on "exercise" with (we will work on potty training first) but I definitely want to make sure she stays active when she is older.  Good idea. 

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Awesome goals!!

Have you thought about combining your crafting goal with your not eating after 7:30 goal? Maybe picking a more complicated craft and dedicating 1 or 2 hours to it starting when the kiddos are in bed will help keep the hands and the mind busy! I recently picked up knitting and it's done wonders for me- if I want to binge watch some netflix on a lazy Saturday afternoon I go grab my latest project while watching a movie, keeps my from reaching for the peanut butter and eating an unnecessary 800 calories!

• Like 2

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

That all makes sense. Just FYI, I moved away from RPT and currently do Wendler 5-3-1. So far a like it. It keep progression slow adding only 5-10 lb to your 1RM every 4 weeks. I liked RPT, but I started to feel the weights were too heavy to jump in to!

Yeah , my weights are still low enough that I can get away with it, once they start going up somewhat I'll readjust again

Nice goals; I especially like that you are including the kids.

"hopefully" including the kids.....I did have a breakthrough with L the other day.  If I bribe her with the use of my Ipod nano she's much happier to come out and do something.  At the moment we're making a maze in the snow in the front yard.  Since the entire yard is covered in at least 3-4 feet of snow its slow going but we're all having fun...and getting some good exercise in.

I like the goal including your kids as well.  Mine is still too young to work on "exercise" with (we will work on potty training first) but I definitely want to make sure she stays active when she is older.  Good idea.

Yeah Potty training first...although there's plenty of opportunities to practice squats there.....Which is actually something that I encourage in the kids - they squat so easily when they're young I want them to retain that if possible.

Awesome, I'll be watching you :panda:

And I'm watching back......

Awesome goals!!

Have you thought about combining your crafting goal with your not eating after 7:30 goal? Maybe picking a more complicated craft and dedicating 1 or 2 hours to it starting when the kiddos are in bed will help keep the hands and the mind busy! I recently picked up knitting and it's done wonders for me- if I want to binge watch some netflix on a lazy Saturday afternoon I go grab my latest project while watching a movie, keeps my from reaching for the peanut butter and eating an unnecessary 800 calories!

That is actually what I do - A large amount of my crafting is done at night in front of the TV.  I am incapable of just sitting and watching I have to have something else to do too.  Either a book to read, or some knitting or crocheting.  Just started knitting a quilt made of little hexagonal puffs - 25 down - only 475 or so to go....

It does stop me from snacking - athough I find that I have to get up and walk around every now and then or I get sore and then I invariably walk to the fridge/pantry.  Just trying to replace that with a walk to the tap for a glass of water or even a cup to tea.

• Like 1

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

So last week was actually pretty good.  Plenty of exercise thanks to the snow.  Spent at least an hour every day every day shoveling - either the roof, the driveway or our maze in the front year.  Also went to one of those trampoline places one day and jumped for an hour which was fun.  Only 1 day of lifting though on Friday.

Food was pretty good too - quite a bit of it, but with all the workouts I think it was necessary (considering I was in bed by 10:30 every night and still struggled to wake up at 8am ).  Managed to mot eat after 7:30 pm most nights and the two nights over the weekend where I didn't it was just one peppermint patty so again acceptable for an non challenge week.

Onto week 1 day 1

Off to a good start.

Got to the gym this morning
squats: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 60, 5 @ 75, 8 @ 90, 8 @80, 10 @ 70, 12 @ 55
bench: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 72.5, 6 @ 67.5, 8 @ 57.5, 12 @ 47.5
yates row: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 70, 8 @ 60, 12 @ 50
negatives

Goal 2 – 30 mins Incidental Exercise

Well as soon as I got home from the gym I went into house cleaning mode. And I mean deep cleaning - cleaned the oven, under the sink, linen cupboard, moved all the furniture to clean under and behind it etc. Since I didn't sit down for more then 10 mins until 2:30ish Id say I got my incidental exercise. 3 points

I don't think I can take the additional point for the kids but - L was at school all day and when she got home she went straight to the Wii. J did a little to help me clean and probably ran around when I was at the gym (He goes to a sports place next door) but we didn't really do anything else.

got it!

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

made a platter of three type of cheeses, crackers and pate. since that's my only cheese for the day I count that as healthy (I count cheese as healthy as long as its not excessive amounts) - 3 points

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 thing per week off the list of things to do around the house - mainly painting.
1 crafty item per week.

well the house is now clean (well the top half anyway don't look at the basement) so I'm set to start working again.
crafting will happen tonight if I can stay awake long enough.

• Like 2

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Week 1 day 2

rest day

nope neither I nor my kids got this today.  Spent most of the day shopping instead (does walking around shops count as incidental exercise...nahhh not strenuous enough)

0 points

close - but the peppermint patty at 1/4 to 8 means this is a no.

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

Cheeses, crackers and pate.  3 points again

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 crafty item per week.

well I did some work on the mud foyer, hanging hooks for coats.  worked on my hexapuffs at night.

• Like 1

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Week 1 day 3 and 4

gym day on Wednesday.  Not the best workout.

it was a easy squats day so: 8 @ 45, 8 @ 60, 5 @ 75, 5 @ 75.

OHP: 8 @ 25, 5 @ 35, 5 @ 45, 1 @ 55, 5 @ 50 (last one had to be a push press).

Deadlifts: 5 @ 95, 3 @ 125, 2 @ 155, failed at 170, failed at 165, 5 @ 160.  really should have been able to do 165 at least....

rest day today.

got this on Wednesday. J and I headed outside to work on our snow maze.  Spent probably close to an hour shoveling snow.

Was supposed to go out again today but got sidetracked by a bunch of lego that needs sorting - I can not believe just how long I spent sorting lego today.  I think I have a problem...

3 points for me on Wednesday plus a 0.5 point for getting J to help

0 points for Thursday

Well Wednesday I did technically manage this but only by bolting down my icecream at 7:29.....

tonight I'm all good

3 out of 4 so far

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

Wednesday We baked zuchinni chocolate muffins for afternoon tea. I'm taking the full 3 points for that. (there was no refined sugar so the only bad thing in the muffins was the flour)

Thursday - well I get 1 point cause I had no afternoon tea at all...damn you lego!

10 points

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 crafty item per week.

had so many good plans for today which were all forgotten about.

But on the house side had the contractor out tonight to measure up for mew windows and doors.

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Week 1 day 5 and 6

Friday was meant to be a lifting day, but the place where my son goes whilst I'm at the gym is opening a crossfit box and were offering free trial classes so I decided to do that instead.  It was fun, but a bit easy.  No I take that back it was a good cardio workout, just not a good lifting workout.  He set me up with 35lb - for deadlifts, power cleans and push presses.....OK....

I would love to try it out for a while but I calculated it out and figured it'd cost me over $200/month.  Maybe once J starts school and I don't have to pay for childcare I'll look at it again.  But I did put my name in to win the free months membership.

So since I skipped my workout Friday I figured I'd better do it Saturday - won't be able to get to the gym Sunday or Monday so got to get it in whilst I can.

squats: 8 @ 45, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 80, 5 @ 90, 5 @ 95, 5 @ 85, 6 @ 75, 8 @ 65, 10 @ 55.
Bench: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 70, 2 @ 75, 3 @ 70, 8 @ 60, 10 @ 50
Bicep Curls: 8 @ 20, 5 @ 30, 5 @ 40..Tried 50lb but couldn't do it.

Friday J and I worked on our snow maze for at least 1/2 hour.

Saturday J, L and I all went out, did maybe 15 shoveling, then played chase and hide and seek through the maze, so that was 30 mins for all of us

3.5 points for me and J on Friday 4 points for Saturday

Friday was good.

Saturday I had one Peanut butter patty.

4 out of 6 so far

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

Friday Afternoon I did apple slices and peanut butter for afternoon tea, the kids also had a tub of Chobani yoghurt each and I had one of the left over muffins.  3 points

Saturday morning we spent the entire morning baking.  Strawberry cake with strawberry curd between the layers and a strawberry cream cheese frosting, decorated with marshmallow fondant shapes.  We each had a piece for afternoon tea.  It was an dedicated afternoon tea, there's been nothing else, but it was in no way healthy! so 2 points for today.

15 points

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 crafty item per week.

haven't achieved anything either yesterday or today.

• Like 1

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Week 1 day 7

rest day

Nothing today - spent the day sewing so didn't do anything with the kids.

0 points

all good

5 out of 7 so far

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

not only did we not have afternoon tea we missed lunch as well, so at 4 pm we went out for an early dinner instead

15 points for the week

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 crafty item per week.

worked all day on a coat - got it to the finishing stage.

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Week 1 grading

I got in all my strength sessions for the week.  Mad my predicted numbers on everything except deadlifts. So an B so far

Grading:
A – reach goals
B – within 5% of goals
C – within 10 % of goals
D – within 15% of goals
F – less

Goal 2 – Incidental Exercise

14 points for the week out of 28 points

Grading:
A – 23 - 28 points
B – 18 -22 points
C – 12-17 points
F –0 -11 points

C grade for the week - not great need more work

5 nights achieved - B grade

Grading:
A – 6-7 nights
B – 4-5 night
C – 2 – 3 night
F - <2 nights

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

a total of 15 points out of a possible 21.  giving me a B grade

A – 18 - 21 points
B – 14 -17 points
C – 10-13 points
F –0 - 9 points

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 thing per week off the list of things to do around the house - mainly painting. - got a coat rack hung in the mud room
1 crafty item per week. - almost finished a coat

I don't think I can really count either towards goals yet.  Need more work.

Grading

A – 6 of each
B – 5 of each
C – 4 of each
D – 3 of each
F - < 2 of each.

• Like 1

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Week 2 day 1 and 2

Got to the gym on Monday
squats: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 75, 5 @ 85, 5 @ 90, 5 @ 95, 8 @75, 10 @ 60
bench: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 50, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 60, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 70, 4 @ 75, 2 @ 75, 4 @ 70, 6 @ 60, 8 @ 50
lat pulls downs
negatives

Tuesday rest day

Monday we all got out, did a bit more shoveling, then played in the maze and sledded a bit, all three of us got more than 30 mins. 4 points

Tuesday - I spent the day painting - not sure whether to count that as exercise or not...I'm thinking not.  0 points

Total 4 points for the week

got it Monday

1/2

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

1 point/per if I make a dedicated afternoon tea - done Monday and Tuesday
1 point for no additional snacking - done Monday and Tuesday
1 point for making it healthy. -- nope cake was involved both days (plus something healthy)

4 points for the week

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 thing per week off the list of things to do around the house - mainly painting. - Got the door and fram for L room and my room done on Tuesday
1 crafty item per week - Did the finishing touches on the coat.  Just waiting for the snaps to arrive to finished it totally.

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Week 2 day 1 and 2

Got to the gym on Monday
squats: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 75, 5 @ 85, 5 @ 90, 5 @ 95, 8 @75, 10 @ 60
bench: 5 @ 45, 5 @ 50, 5 @ 55, 5 @ 60, 5 @ 65, 5 @ 70, 4 @ 75, 2 @ 75, 4 @ 70, 6 @ 60, 8 @ 50
lat pulls downs
negatives

Tuesday rest day

Monday we all got out, did a bit more shoveling, then played in the maze and sledded a bit, all three of us got more than 30 mins. 4 points

Tuesday - I spent the day painting - not sure whether to count that as exercise or not...I'm thinking not.  0 points

Total 4 points for the week

got it Monday

1/2

Goal 4 – Afternoon tea

1 point/per if I make a dedicated afternoon tea - done Monday and Tuesday
1 point for no additional snacking - done Monday and Tuesday
1 point for making it healthy. -- nope cake was involved both days (plus something healthy)

4 points for the week

Goal 5 – lifestyle

1 thing per week off the list of things to do around the house - mainly painting. - Got the door and fram for L room and my room done on Tuesday
1 crafty item per week - Did the finishing touches on the coat.  Just waiting for the snaps to arrive to finished it totally.

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Sounds like a pretty good first week to me, well done! Now go out there and kill week 2! You can do it :positive:

Thanks, I'm pretty happy - a few tweaks needed but I feel like I'm getting somewhere at least.

I am so jealous of all the snow maze and sledding. I wish we were getting that kind of exercise. Around here, it just rains and rains just above freezing.

I have to admit I do prefer the cold and snow to the cold and rain....however there is a limit to how much snow is OK. we're officially at over 100 inches this winter and its getting a bit old. Still we have to make the most of it!

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog

Nice work here. How is the RPT-esque training going for you?

Pretty well. I've found I can do a bunch of warm up weights without any real breaks so can work my way up pretty easily then do the heavy couple of sets and if I finish there is just doesn't seem like much of a workout so then I work back down again. I imagine that once the weights get a little higher it may take too long to do each workout but for now its working and I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere so that's all I'm looking for.

• Like 1

Level 6, Ranger

My Sewing Blog