The big goal this challenge is to decrease the amount of sugar that hubby and I consume.  He is non-insulin-dependent diabetic but needs to improve his blood sugar levels STAT.  So, this guy is public enemy number one at our house:

01-05-032-Sugar-Monster.jpg

I don't think that he is ready to go cold turkey; so I've devised a transition plan - based in part on the NF Academy nutrition guidelines.  I've already dropped my sugar consumption about 25% - compared to last month.  Gotta love data!!!  I'm using LoseIt to track what I eat, and have the premium plan so that I can drill down on my macros to see what I'm actually eating. 

So Quest #1 is to transition to a Whole30 (which will be next challenge's goal).  Each week, I'll add another improvement to our diet, and I'm going to be tracking it using HabitRPG.  At stake:  2 CON, 2 WIS - with grading by percentage of days that I manage to stick to our improvement plan. During the break, I've convinced hubby to eat a high protein breakfast ... and he's already feeling better.  That was no big deal for me, but next week ... I need to substitute a vegetable in for a starch at lunch and dinner.  I'm not a big veggie eater ...... (0/42)

The other big thing I am working on is to be able to complete an obstacle course race.  I've been a bit discouraged at how long it takes me to improve my upper body strength, but I'm going to keep at it while working on my running and my general agility. 

So, Quest #2 is to do strength training 3 times per week.  I mix it up and do a routine at the gym (including assisted pull ups), kettle bells at home, and sandbag training at home.  At stake: 3 STR, and grading is also a percentage of goal.  (0/18)

Quest #3 is to get through C25K again.  This should be pretty darned easy since I'm on week 4 already and am an experienced runner.  But I'll (hopefully) be transitioning to outdoor running by early April.  Yes??  2 STA awarded for getting through it; 1 STA if I get to week 6. 

Quest #4 is to work on agility weekly (at least).  I have my FitDeck agility cards.  Or I can go climbing or take a related class - such as yoga, zumba, pole dancing, martial arts class, etc.  I'm allowing myself to play with this and have some fun .... and be flexible with how I work on improving my agility for 2 DEX, based on percentage completion.  (0/6)

Quest #5 is to work on my dead drop assassin skills - using geocaching and Ingress.  I'm going to pull a number out of the air and say that I'll do this 20 times during the challenge for a possible 2 WIS and 2 DEX.  Geocaching in the harsh winter can get to be a bit problematic ... so the augmented reality game, Ingress, is a good substitute to get me out of the house.  Scoring is also by a percentage.  (0/20).   

PLUS - Assassin's Guild minis:
Week1 - Pullups and Mountain Climbers (+STR)
Week 2 - RUN!!! (+STA)
Week 3 -
Week 4 -
Week 5 -
Week 6 -

AND, I'm competing in an exercise consistency challenge that Bekah put together on FB. 

AND WAIT - that's not all!!  I'm putting together a simple Fitness RPG.  It has a long way to go, but I'm playing it while designing it.  

So, I'm really hoping to have fun and improve my body composition this challenge!!!
  • Like 13

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I am using Lose It to track as well!  I like layout and how easy it is to enter data.  My boss has a jar of candy at work so I hear you on trying to quit eating candy.  What is FitDeck? Sounds like it would be helpful for flexibility exercises.

• Like 1

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

nice set of clear goals!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I am using Lose It to track as well!  I like layout and how easy it is to enter data.  My boss has a jar of candy at work so I hear you on trying to quit eating candy.  What is FitDeck? Sounds like it would be helpful for flexibility exercises.

FitDeck has a variety of card decks that you can mix and match for workouts.  I bought a bunch of them over the summer when I was bored with my workouts.  

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Outstanding! Subbed of course. I will have to check out Ingress. I have never done anything like it before but hey, I like doing new things. Geocaching I looked into last year because of you. May have to revisit when it warms up. I think my kids would enjoy and it would be fun on vacation this year!

Good luck. I know you will crush your goals.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Outstanding! Subbed of course. I will have to check out Ingress. I have never done anything like it before but hey, I like doing new things. Geocaching I looked into last year because of you. May have to revisit when it warms up. I think my kids would enjoy and it would be fun on vacation this year!

Good luck. I know you will crush your goals.

Ingress really sucks down the battery out in the field, but I also have an old phone that's sub-par, based on their recommendations. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

And ......

I cooked - two days in a row. 

And I have to say that the Carrot + Cardamon Soup from Nom Nom Paleo is a bowl of exotic sunshine!!!

An unofficial, corollary quest this challenge is to cook more often.  Over the past decade, cooking became one of those mundane chores that I didn't want to waste my time on ....

gvGkZBL.jpg

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

Subbed!

I'm curious to see how the transition to Whole30 goes. I have a friend who has gradually done it do to brain shunt/compression issues and it has helped her out immensely, but the process was very slow before she noticed any real benefits. 

Hey, hey! C25K! Get it! I'm sure you'll rock it.

And, random, my best friend is always trying to get me on Ingress. I hear it's quite fun. Get out there an enjoy taking over those portals. 

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Ooh love the geocache goal. I've tried it with my boys to make walking more interesting and you might've inspired me to try it again! Will have a look at ingress too to see what that's all about.

Good luck with the challenge!

• Like 1

TKDgirl Level 3 amazon

STR 7 DEX 0 STA 7 CON 10 WIS 6 CHA 3

Challenges: 1 2, current

20 good form push ups

45%
45%

Loved teh Geocashing goal, so much fun (and such a battery drain like you said) Let me know when you get your RPG up in running I would be interested in joining :D Good luck!

• Like 1

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Loved teh Geocashing goal, so much fun (and such a battery drawing like you said) Let me know when you get your RPG up in running I would be interested in joining :D Good luck!

Roger that!! 

The Brightwater RPG looks fun too!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Great challenge! Good luck with cutting back on sugar, it can be difficult, but doable and totally worth it!

• Like 1

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

Challenge Thread || Walking PVP Thread

Level: 0 - Future Assassin || STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Walking 1,000 Miles in 2015 // 167.30 miles as of March 7, 2015

16.7%
16.7%

Body Fat Percentage // 44% as of January 1, 2015

44%
44%

Here's hoping that you kick sugar's butt!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Have a look at Elastigirl's challenge, she's kicking the sugar habit as well. More accurately, she kicked it in her last challenge. She had herself and her hubby set up for success on that goal, maybe some of her methods would resonate with you?

Also, what is Ingress? I'm a geocacher too, and find myself doing it less in the winter, not so much because I don't want to go out in the snow (I love snow!) but because I don't feel like digging things out of snowbanks......

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Have a look at Elastigirl's challenge, she's kicking the sugar habit as well. More accurately, she kicked it in her last challenge. She had herself and her hubby set up for success on that goal, maybe some of her methods would resonate with you?

Also, what is Ingress? I'm a geocacher too, and find myself doing it less in the winter, not so much because I don't want to go out in the snow (I love snow!) but because I don't feel like digging things out of snowbanks......

Oh yea, Elastigirl is always in my "follow" list!!  I really decreased the sugar intake last week....this week, I'm shocked at how sweet so many things are.  Like gummy vitamins (I can't stand to swallow the tablets) and toothpaste - wow.

Ingress is an augmented reality game that you play with your phone.  At local points of interest, the game has placed portals that your team (and the opposing team) are trying to control.  A sort of "capture the flag" game .... with lots of flags.  

My phone an iPhone 4S, and the game really does lag on it. Plus, the battery goes flat VERY quickly ... especially the the sub-zero weather we've been having.  But, that also means that I go play in short bursts.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

This sounds like an awesome challenge!

The sugar monster is a pain, but once you get him under control its amazing how sweet things like fruit are!

I have also heard a lot of good things about Ingress, though always in the context of driving... it sounds way more fun doing it on foot!

Good Luck I'll be following along!

Level 3 Zoo Lion Assassin

Current Challenge

Past: 1 2   

Purpose, it's that little flame that lights a fire under your a$$ - Princeton, Avenue Q

To Rivendell!

10.5%
10.5%

Great challenge plan!

I used stevia to cut way back on the sugar, including getting off of soda. Your hubby might find it works for him, too.

The geocaching sounds like a lot of fun!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Great challenge plan!

I used stevia to cut way back on the sugar, including getting off of soda. Your hubby might find it works for him, too.

The geocaching sounds like a lot of fun!

I've gotten some stevia and am planning more fruit-based desserts .... although, tonight, we had enough after the Chicken Marsala and roasted root vegetables.

The big thing I need to find a replacement for are the healthy bars that I like for snacks.  Clif Bars, Larabars, etc.  I'm usually running errands after a big workout, and fruit won't do. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

ha

I've gotten some stevia and am planning more fruit-based desserts .... although, tonight, we had enough after the Chicken Marsala and roasted root vegetables.

The big thing I need to find a replacement for are the healthy bars that I like for snacks.  Clif Bars, Larabars, etc.  I'm usually running errands after a big workout, and fruit won't do. 

Do you mean you want something besides fruit or in addition too? I find that a mix of nuts,flaked coconut, and pumpkin seeds, and then some apple slices is a good portable snack. Actually more filling the Larabars. Fruit is the easiest portable carb, not sure what is best for a portable carb if you are avoiding fruit.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Maybe you could make some fruit snacks for portability, though I don't know how well those would do for sugar content. Or almonds are portable and temperature resistant if that's your worry. Apples are also good! Snacks are hard... I suppose if you like having the granola type bars you could find a recipe for them and replace sugar with stevia. Just to throw it out there!

I'm also kicking the sugar a bit this challenge. No sugar period on at least 3 days of the week. I also thought about doing the Couch to 5k but I know I'm going to get off track during week 5 because of a planned vacation... so I didn't add it to my challenge. How are you liking it?

I might also have to look into geocaching because that sounds fun! Now if only I can find someone to go with me. *ponders*

*stalks post*

• Like 1

~Kurai~

Level 4 Catkind | Assassin

STR 7.1 | STA 4 | DEX 2.7 | CON 12.8 | WIS 8.9 | CHA 4.6

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3

Tumblr | Art Tumblr

..... And the game is .....

bbc-sherlock-sign-of-three-drunklock-the

I've moved out of the Assassin's Den and gotten my marching orders to the Monastery far to the East .... and encountered an NPC who needs my help to find and slay the Sugar Monster.

And, after a disappointing job interview ...... I slipped some rum into my tea.  So the Alcohol Demon has crept closer.  It was already (randomly) fairly close ..... so I will need to behave myself if I don't want a fight on my hands soon. 

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....