Good point. I should try them again sometime.

I've had good control on chin negatives for a while but the pull up negatives just seemed like I dropped so fast it wasn't going to be helpful. It's been a while since I've tried so I can probably get 2 seconds now!

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Today in aerial was apparently ankle hang day (hammock) aka OWWW OWWW OWWW. And oww. We did both of the pointed foot and the flexed foot ankle hang varieties as well as a one footed ankle hang variety that you actually CAN get out of without having to climb back up your leg and exit out the top. (Fun fact. If you do the flexed foot ankle hang one and think oh I can just get out of this by pointing my foot.... No. No you can't. You get more stuck and have to do some major climbing shenanigans to get out of there. I have not done this because I trust my teacher's warning but the few friends I've had that did accidentally do it... Yeah. Not fun!)

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

I actually finally went and made a youtube account and I'm waiting for my aerial progress video to post. Yays!  Better late than never!

On to the goal stuffs!

Goal 1, the sky is the limit:  

I'm not sure if I will have a chance to do this this week!  We didn't have out any silks on Monday.  I did try some new things though! And I made myself at least try each of the ankle hangs! I am going to class tomorrow since I have the day off work but it's a beginner class and they arent allowed to use silks.

Maybe I will try to make open studio on Sunday if I don't feel too dead!

Goal 2, make right shoulder behave:

This has been improving overall, but I am definitely feeling that I slacked on exercises while on vacation. It just wasn't noticeable because I feel it the most when driving and I didn't drive for almost 2 weeks!  Now that I am back to 1 hour of driving twice a day I can definitely feel that I need to get those exercises in EVERY DAY!

Goal 3, focus on form

We didn't have out silks so no chance to work on hip keys, but I made sure I worked on inverted straddles since you can do those on hammock. I can definitely feel that I haven't done any aerial in almost two weeks. My aaaaabs are like NOPITY NOPE NOPE. Ugh.

Goal 4, Photographic evidence!

Finally uploaded my video!  I'll post when it's done processing. I am pretty sure I have lost weight/ some flab over my vacation so I am going to try to take another video in a week or so to compare how body looks and such. I never did take a before pic buuuut this is one step better!

Life goal: Focus on getting debt paid down

This was relatively easy to focus on when I was on an already paid for by someone else vacation. I did put one thing on my credit cards because I don't put hotel bookings on the debit card, but I plan to pay it back right away. Even with that temporarily on there my balances are looking better! I can do this! Wheee!

Un-goal related, but, I decided to go to Coachella by myself and I am sooo excited for another me-only vacation. I think I am hooked on these and need to do at least one a year! I had bought tickets with a few friends and they all decided not to go, and other people who I know who are going are not people I'd want to spend a weekend with. I was originally planning to just sell my ticket since I didn't want to take time off but I've been wanting to go to this for FIFTEEN YEARS. I am going to go for Saturday and Sunday and just miss the first day. Hotel room is booked!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

VIDEOS!!!!!

If they are awkward, so much the better.  Join me in awkward-video-landia where we can marvel at sylph's beautiful form...............

I mean, what? ;)

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Woo woo it posted! OMFG I am so tired and noodley in this! And not pointing my feet half the time! It can only get better from here! hahahahahahahaha

Brief description of what I am doing:

1. Pullover

2. Turn over the fancy way (I'm sure it has an actual name but that's what we call it. you can also turn over without the tilt and with both legs at once/no leg comes out of the loop)

3. seated candycane, just one wrap (I believe they call this whirlybird where you come from stars if I remember correctly! Seated it hurts like a bitch and pinches your thigh like crazy)

4. lower to cross,

5. to inverted straddle but I totally brainfarted and did some weird thing where I hooked in my feet

6. realized I did something weird and unhooked my feet

7. to the baby semi-drop where you flop out of inverted straddle straight into cross with no hands wheee!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Eeeeee fun videooooooooooo I really need to play on hammock mooooooooooooooore!

Do think that looks kind of like a seated twirly bird, yes, though I don't know what anything is called in hammock ahahahaha it's a whole new world for meeeeeeee.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

VIDEOS!!!!!

If they are awkward, so much the better.  Join me in awkward-video-landia where we can marvel at sylph's beautiful form...............

I mean, what? ;)

I, uh, er... hmm. What? heh.

Woo woo it posted! OMFG I am so tired and noodley in this! And not pointing my feet half the time! It can only get better from here! hahahahahahahaha

Brief description of what I am doing:

Yay video! Nice job! I have not played on the hammock hardly at all. My gym has actually just started offering actual classes in January.

• Like 1

Hammock is fun! I definitely recommend trying it!

It was also the first thing I managed to really do an inversion with and I love being upside down so I definitely have fond thoughts for the hammock!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Oh. And the cool thing about hammock is when you get damn tired a lot of times you can just sit and rest for a second (though you still have to use your arms and abs at least a bit so it's not totally restful!).

I also however find on days when I am feeling particularly sensitive (like shark week especially) that even sitting on the hammock or doing anything at all feels pinchy and painful. Yeah... Monday this week was one of those days and I definitely didn't do as much as I would have liked. High pain from almost nothing day= way less stamina for me and less ability to really work a full sequence. Ah well! Bad days happen!

I am sad that you can't quite see the full definition of my crazy muscley dancer legs in this vid. I guess those are probably more noticeable when dancing on the ground!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Yessss. Assisted pull up bands are going to be so helpful! I got a tiny one plus a thicker one. I still can't do an actual assisted pull up even with both but I can do a very good and slow pull up negative. I did 2 sets of 2 assisted chin ups and one set of 10 assisted pull up negatives taking about 4 seconds for each descent. Muscles and awesomeness will be mine buahahahahaha!

My only concern is that my cats will think they are giant kitty toys.... My Mango is obsessed with hair ties and rubber bands! I'll just have to hide them if they catch her attention!

Current Challenge

I realized something today. For all that I'm still not quite where I'd like to be (curse you belly pooch!!) I am currently the thinnest and fittest I've ever been in my adult life for healthy reasons and not due to illness. I've gotten pretty tiny before when my gallbladder was failing and eating caused intense pain, and again got all the way down to a 4 when I was so depressed and anxious I could barely get myself to eat, but that was definitely very different from this. I'm getting super strong and I'm really happy and I am slowly just getting smaller due to healthy life choices and that is pretty damn awesome.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

I realized something today. For all that I'm still not quite where I'd like to be (curse you belly pooch!!) I am currently the thinnest and fittest I've ever been in my adult life for healthy reasons and not due to illness. I've gotten pretty tiny before when my gallbladder was failing and eating caused intense pain, and again got all the way down to a 4 when I was so depressed and anxious I could barely get myself to eat, but that was definitely very different from this. I'm getting super strong and I'm really happy and I am slowly just getting smaller due to healthy life choices and that is pretty damn awesome.

YOU'RE pretty damn awesome!

• Like 2

In an effort to be able to properly work on hip keys and inverted straddles tomorrow I have been doing a little ab work daily again. Let's see if this helps! My pikes even are just not as strong as they were pre vacation. I seriously am impressed at how much worse that all got after only a week and a half off! (I am also doing a little bit of assisted pull up/chin up work and a few push ups of some variation every day for the shoulder thing so I am just throwing ab work onto that to do list!)

Current Challenge

The bad vacation workout problems wears off after like a week or two and you'll be back where you were before you know it. You are awesome and hammock looks so fun! 

YES for negatives. :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My body huuuurts whiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.  It's to be expected with the increased work on pulls and chins, but SO SORE hahaha. 

Aerial last night was tough between soreness and residual vacation noodley-ness, but it was good and I did learn a few things and didn't totally fail. Woohoo!  My aerial endurance just suuucks right now and it's frustrating! We did:

• Split in double regular foot locks. We were supposed to do a split roll up but my brain could not compute how to start the roll. It should be easy for me on a good day so I'll make sure I go over that next time!
  • Climbing climbing all the climbing. we did 4 climbs up and down of climbs we already know (Ok. I actually only did 3 before my arms were pumped to a degree of uselesssss and needed a break!)
  • New climb!  We learned crochet climb. It uses lots of things I already know, so although I opted not to do it last night because deeeed I will get this next time!  (you 1. straddle over, 2. crochet each leg, 3. to climb you take one leg out of crochet and release and swing your arm backwards and then swing your upper body back up and grab higher with the arm on the side you unwrapped and then recrochet that leg. 4. do the same on the other leg, 5. keep alternating to climb!)
  • She also reviewed russian climb with a twist, which is pretty basic but is more or less a way to make Russian climb take longer and kill your arms (hahahahah.) You do a russian as normal but when you stand on your wrap you then slooowly wrap your body around the silk and get an extra wrap around your foot (which gets you maybe an inch higher but looks pretty.)
  • We learned how do ankle hangs on silks. I was super dead by that point in the class but I practiced the wraps for it from sitting on my bum on the ground and got the mechanics down.

On to the goals so far this week:

Goal 1, the ground is not the limit. the SKY is the limit:
     Totally done this week! I made myself climb higher than I am usually comfortable doing and did it more than once wheeeee.

Goal 2, my right shoulder is a rebel. Get my right shoulder to behave!
     This is still going decent but definitely wish I had worked on this on vacation. Having to fight weird shoulder feeling and keeping proper placement every day with driving.

Goal 3, focus on form
      I did not get to hip keys and straddles this week with aerial but I am happy with my progress on split roll up and figuring out the wraps for ankle hang on silks!

Goal 4, Photographic evidence!
     I can't believe it's already week 6 and time to start thinking about taking my after picture! I'd also like to get another aerial progress video!

Current Challenge

Dance yesterday was awesooooome. Wheee!

I think I am going to count getting better at counting under my "focus on form" goal as well. Counting in dance has always been difficult for me. My timing is always good, but it's always been more about the musicality and muscle memory, like I could hum out the rhythm of the things I'm doing and have it on time but I couldn't tell you the count I am on. It works fine for me, but I would like to be better at counting. When I have to teach choreography to people who are big on counting I feel I'm not great at giving them the help they need to learn something and I could get better at it! I've been trying to really actually learn the counts when we are going over something and learning it and so far so good. (Once we start breaking into groups and just running the choreo over and over I of course completely stop counting but MEH. Fine with me. Performer brain kicks in and goes into EXPRESSSSSS ALL THE THINGS mode.)

Also, if I haven't mentioned it before my dance teacher is sooo awesome and I am so thankful that I get to dance with an amazing choreographer every week. Some stuff she's done:

Current Challenge

I'll consider this dance video from class Tuesday as my "after" picture. Woohoo.

(I'm middle-ish in purple pants and the black tank although it's super dark and hard to tell those pants are purple!)

I don't love what I did for the improv parts in the beginning and the end on this run but I feel I always say that of video-ed stuff of me.... And it's hard not to be like "aaaaah look at my belly fat look at it UGH." I suspect after I watch it enough times I'll actually be able to appreciate the awesome dancey-ness!

• Like 1

Current Challenge