The Great Hall: General Chatter

Hammlin

Yesterday,  I went for a hill run in preparation for hiking next week. There is a fairly steep hill around my block, 2 miles. I did it at a 14:07 pace.... I'm usually a 15m/mi pacer. Anyway, the run got cut short. I was running up the steep hill and noticed a dog crossing the boulevard. I got to the top of the hill as fast as I could and the dog came to me. I took it to the dog park which happened to be right there. Spent the next hour trying to find the owner and playing with the dog. OMG it was the sweetest Goldie! The owner had a friend pick the dog up, so problem solved.

In the afternoon, I went to a movie with my running club McFarland USA. It's a Disney movie along the lines of Cool Runnings. It's about a bunch of kids who were agricultural workers and got into a cross country team.... and winning State.  Super good! I recommend it.

• Like 2

Level 9 Tiefling Ranger/Scout

STR 9 DEX 16 CON 15 INT 10 WIS 13

Current challenge

Mordor: Hobbiton -> Rivendell (238/458 miles)

Water advice  Join the Circus!

I have two  weeks of travel, the first and last. My basic rule is never take a moving sidewalk or escalator when you can walk or take the stairs. Don't sit unless you're tired. You'll end up walking a few miles.  

If you're flying through Philly, there are exercise bikes around.  

That is very cool.  But sadly, not going through that airport.  Either O'Hare or Detroit I don't recall.  

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I'll definitely be doing some walking and not waste my time sitting around the airport.  I figure I'll get plenty of sitting on the plane.  

Happy First Day of Challenge all!  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Double post. 

cute

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

So far so good, got my lifting stretching, and shadow sparring in this morning. Diet is looking good for the day too. 

Happy Challenge!  Let's hit the ground Running!  (or walking, if you are walking this challenge... or lifting if you aren't doing cardio... Ya know what, let's just hit the ground and see what happens)

• Like 2

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

First day of challenge! (Its almost like the first day of school!)

What ranger-y books do you all recommend? I'm a few pages from finishing the Lord of the Rings (for the 800th time) and I'd love something similar but I'm coming up blank. Ideas?

At the moment I feel rather less ranger and much more hobbit:I just started a batch of duck eggs in the incubator and going to clean the greenhouse and start some veggie seed. Feels so much like spring here!

• Like 3
Spoiler

“Little by little, one travels farâ€
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Level 2 Lycan
Adventurer at heart, training with the Rangers
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 2|STA 1|WIS 3|CHA 1
Reyna's Return I Current Challenge: Reyna's Run I Blog

If you like King Arthur stuff:

The Pendragon cycle by Steven Lawhead

The Mist of Avalon

Not really rangery in the sense of bow and arrows, but other fantasy books

Sword of Truth series ** (there are a ton of these, i think i made it through like 4-5 of them) 

Sebastian** and Belladonna **  also just realized she came out with a 3rd in the series!!! now i need to finish the book i'm reading so I can get it!

The Griffin Series

If you want non fantasy books that I think are great and kind of rangery

Book of 5 rings

Random Favorites

Shibumi (one of my top all time favorite books, kind of spy espionagey)

Handmaids tale**, Oryx and Crake** by Margret Atwood

okay that's probably enough for now. Some of them are probably not good for younger audiences... but great books still (the ** denotes these books)

• Like 2

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

First day of challenge! (Its almost like the first day of school!)

What ranger-y books do you all recommend? I'm a few pages from finishing the Lord of the Rings (for the 800th time) and I'd love something similar but I'm coming up blank. Ideas?

At the moment I feel rather less ranger and much more hobbit:I just started a batch of duck eggs in the incubator and going to clean the greenhouse and start some veggie seed. Feels so much like spring here!

The Saxon Chronicles series by Bernard Cornwell.  It isn't particularly Ranger-centric per se but the protagonist is a Saxon raised by Vikings who ranges far and wide across England, features some excellent battle scenes, and is a character I've identified with for the better part of a decade now.  Uhtred is so perfectly flawed a character that it's nearly impossible not to identify with him.  One of those books could fill in for a PoV chapter in Game of Thrones.

Happy Challenge, all! 

I just kicked my bodyweight circuit's BOOTAY. Except for the side planks, that is, because my wrists started hurting pretty badly so I decided it would be safer to not do the 2nd set of planks. Any advice on wrist strengthening? Or do I just have to keep going little by little until they, like the rest of me, are strong enough?

My wrist mobility is terrible and I routinely struggle with it for anything in the front rack position or handstand push-ups.  There are numerous stretches you can do using an athletic elastic band, but my go-to is handstand holds.  Just lean against the wall and hold a handstand for 30 seconds, a minute, or as long as you can.  I like to walk my hands around and switch their positioning up lots to really force that mobility.

• Like 5

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

That is very cool.  But sadly, not going through that airport.  Either O'Hare or Detroit I don't recall.  

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I'll definitely be doing some walking and not waste my time sitting around the airport.  I figure I'll get plenty of sitting on the plane.  

Happy First Day of Challenge all!  

Plenty of walking space in both airports! If you're in the main terminal at DTW, there are moving sidewalks in the tunnel between concourses that you can skip, as well as an end-to-end train to watch go by... or to ride and practice your surf stance / balance! (definitely guilty of doing that while waiting at SeaTac on Sunday)

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

If you want to feel like a bandages, read:

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (by far one the best fantasy series I've ever read)

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (if you want something that's really brutal and gory)

None of those are particularly Ranger-like, but they do have badass main characters that will leave you feeling like you can do anything. And they are all Sword and Sorcery novels.

And also a second for the Rangers Apprentice.

• Like 1

Lv. 4 Mandalorian Sith Ranger

STR: 11/DEX: 3/CON: 8/STA: 13/WIS: 12/CHA: 4.5

(I): Fire Flower, Nifty Birthday Party Hat, Raccoon Suit of Creativity

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

http://newportmissions.blogspot.com/

Uuuuugh.... stair sprints kicked my butt today. My work building has 4 flights of stairs between the bottom floor and the roof, and I sprinted up and walked down four times in total during my break. And my legs are like "You can support your own weight today, sucker. We quit." xD

• Like 3

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

Rangers apprentice is great! Also, the Dark Elf Trilogy and anything starring Drizzt is pretty great! Also currently reading the King Raven Trilogy (a interesting take on Robin Hood) 

• Like 1

Human Urban Ranger

Level 2: STR: 5, DEX: 4, STA: 2, CON: 3, WIS: 4, CHA: 1

"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30 

CHALLENGE

If you want to feel like a bandages, read:

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (by far one the best fantasy series I've ever read)

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (if you want something that's really brutal and gory)

None of those are particularly Ranger-like, but they do have badass main characters that will leave you feeling like you can do anything. And they are all Sword and Sorcery novels.

And also a second for the Rangers Apprentice.

I often feel like a bandages.

:)

• Like 4

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

A little late to the party, but I am back and the challenge is up! I'm not really doing week one, because I have family visiting and won't, realistically, take awake time out from spending every moment I can/they'll let me with them. (We're really close knit, and I haven't seen them in seven months, which is the longest I've ever been away. I'm tempted to stow away in my mom's bag and get checked as luggage).

But we are walking a lot, and doing lots of standing on trains and subways, as mentioned above. Add in a great night of dancing and singing around a karaoke box, and I think I'm not doing too bad on exercise. I am going to try to get up early for a quick bodyweight tomorrow morning, though.

Go Rangers!

drizzt_1.jpg

• Like 5

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

I am back and making headway once again. One of my favourite book series is The Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman. Haplo isn't really a ranger but he is bad ass.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

As I mentioned in my Challenge I'm experimenting with upping my calorie count closer to my number suggested by both BMR calculators online and MyFitnessPal.  I'm determined to shred this weight, and the pure Paleo is overrunning me with energy.  So I'm tightening things up and starting an actual meal plan because I don't mind eating the same foods day to day and I really want to hit that perfect fuel intake mark.  MFP will be my daily companion until further notice.

So we'll see how things go over this Challenge!

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I'm determined to shred this weight, and the pure Paleo is overrunning me with energy.  So I'm tightening things up and starting an actual meal plan because I don't mind eating the same foods day to day and I really want to hit that perfect fuel intake mark.  

Totally with you - there's something almost meditative about knowing what the next meal (or the next day's meals) will be and that they're gonna make you feel AWESOME. 

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Go Rangers!

Go pigtails!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Happy Challenge, all! 

I just kicked my bodyweight circuit's BOOTAY. Except for the side planks, that is, because my wrists started hurting pretty badly so I decided it would be safer to not do the 2nd set of planks. Any advice on wrist strengthening? Or do I just have to keep going little by little until they, like the rest of me, are strong enough?

You can modify side planks to do them on your forearm.

It's not exactly a wrist strengthening exercise, but one thing that can help is to make your hands more like claws on the ground. I'm not sure exactly why that works...I think it somehow distributes some of the weight more directly onto your hands (fingers??) and not just all on the heels of your hands (and wrist). You could also try doing some of your planking on pushup bars (if you have access to some)...this probably wouldn't work well for side plank, but you could do for other plank moves.

Valeo-Push-Up-Bars-736097006471.jpg

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

why am i always late to this party? i'm on time for starting the challenges though... guess that's what matters, right?

The Saxon Chronicles series by Bernard Cornwell.  It isn't particularly Ranger-centric per se but the protagonist is a Saxon raised by Vikings.

i feel like i have to find and read these now....

tumblr_inline_mm0pj1cpVK1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 1