The Great Hall: General Chatter

Hammlin

why am i always late to this party? i'm on time for starting the challenges though... guess that's what matters, right?

i feel like i have to find and read these now....

tumblr_inline_mm0pj1cpVK1qz4rgp.gif

The Saxon Chronicles take place during the Danish viking invasions undertook by Ragnar Lothbrok's sons, and Uhtred makes them look like children.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

The Saxon Chronicles take place during the Danish viking invasions undertook by Ragnar Lothbrok's sons, and Uhtred makes them look like children.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy.

these are seriously getting added to my wish list

You certainly won't be disappointed.  Think historical Game of Thrones with only one point of view, lots of old English place names, great battle descriptions, and intrigue.  It's brilliant adult fiction.

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

You certainly won't be disappointed.  Think historical Game of Thrones with only one point of view, lots of old English place names, great battle descriptions, and intrigue.  It's brilliant adult fiction.

Seriously the best-written battle scenes I've ever read. I burned through them! 

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Seriously the best-written battle scenes I've ever read. I burned through them! 

i am super excited now. i've put them on my wish list. i'll probably start collecting them in a couple weeks. still have some Salvatore to burn through. 

I checked the first one out from the library. Who knows when I'll actually have time to read it though... I have to read like four other books first, for school. But I'm excited! Maybe I'll have time over spring break.

• Like 2

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

Hey everyone,

I joined the Recruits about a week ago.  I was wondering if I need to stay there until there 6 wk challenge is over, or if I can just come log here.  The Recruits seem to have a new post every 2min, but the Rangers are where I belong.  I've been at this for over a year so I'm not new to fitness training.  I'm into weight training, whitewater kayaking, and indoor/rock climing.  I much prefer the size of the Rangers team and the number of posts I see that actually have something to do with working out and less to do with poetry writings, videos, and topics unrelated to fitness (not that I have anything against that, I just like to see more on training).  The focus on this team seems to be the best of the teams I've looked at with regards to actual workouts.

Anyway, Can I start a thread here or should I just hang out in the Recruits till I put in my time there and then join the Rangers?  Even if I'm not officially in the challenge since I haven't put in my time yet, I'd rather just post here.  Rangers Rule!

Peel

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Had to share this.

Somewhere between the Warrior Mead Hall and the Druid Solarium...

...lies a flowery pasture filled with contented cows, and a whole pile of marketing. LMAO.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Had to share this.

...lies a flowery pasture filled with contented cows, and a whole pile of marketing. LMAO.

Hilarious. 

Sir Thalianost, Level 9 Human Knight (Training as a Warrior)

STR - 24.6 | DEX - 4.1 | STA - 1.7 | CON - 15.4 | WIS - 3.2 | CHA - 4.1

Those who live by the sword die by the sword... and wouldn't want it any other way.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

Current Challenge:

Thalianost Branches Out

Hey everyone,

I joined the Recruits about a week ago.  I was wondering if I need to stay there until there 6 wk challenge is over, or if I can just come log here.  The Recruits seem to have a new post every 2min, but the Rangers are where I belong.  I've been at this for over a year so I'm not new to fitness training.  I'm into weight training, whitewater kayaking, and indoor/rock climing.  I much prefer the size of the Rangers team and the number of posts I see that actually have something to do with working out and less to do with poetry writings, videos, and topics unrelated to fitness (not that I have anything against that, I just like to see more on training).  The focus on this team seems to be the best of the teams I've looked at with regards to actual workouts.

Anyway, Can I start a thread here or should I just hang out in the Recruits till I put in my time there and then join the Rangers?  Even if I'm not officially in the challenge since I haven't put in my time yet, I'd rather just post here.  Rangers Rule!

Peel

Hi, peelout!

The way challenges are structured, you'll want to do your 6 week challenge with the Recruits this time and then put a thread in with the Rangers guild next time.

You're more than welcome to hang out and chat with us here, in the meantime, though!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

At first I was like, :blue:

"Who's gonna make it rain?"

*sniffle*

But then I was like, :applouse:

"Just tell them it's full of protein, and they'll pound that sh*t."

• Like 5

Hey everyone,

Peel

Hi, peelout!

The way challenges are structured, you'll want to do your 6 week challenge with the Recruits this time and then put a thread in with the Rangers guild next time.

You're more than welcome to hang out and chat with us here, in the meantime, though!

What SL said. The forum rules are set that way and from experience, the first challenge is always a learning experience no matter what. Still, nothing prevents you from hanging out on this thread or following other Rangers' threads. Most likely, some will follow yours as well and it'll help in building relationships and a network of awesome, supportive nerds

• Like 4

Lvl 45 Ranger

HEY! DO YOU LIKE CHEESE?

Had to share this.

I'm so glad I waited till I was at home to watch this as it made me laugh so hard! 

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

actual conversation on my thread today... just thought you guys should know what I think of camp

11045352_10204437260146459_6836705408417

• Like 4

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I've rediscovered Mark's Daily Apple after a long hiatus, and even though my copy of Primal Blueprint is long-missing after a loan to an associate, it has reignited my passion for 'play.'

alienjenn, your snippet there "there were alot of workshops about movement and lifting and nutrition and cooking and games and being outside and bonfires and water..." basically reminded me of all the things I love in life, and that I need to reintroduce more playful activities into my day to day life.

Winter needs to end soooo badly!

• Like 3

Yes winter can go now

e280ec94c5dc88c26a0757c5f1f2c595.jpg

• Like 3

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Ok Rangers. 

I incorporated yoga to help loosen my silly hips because spin and lifting are my fitness loves and the more of that I do the more I realize I have no flexibility in that area. 

Other than yoga any other recommendations on helping someone open their hips (esp during squats, which is the primary reason I'm asking!)

Also. This spring thing I keep hearing about, I'll believe it when I see it- I'm pretty much done with the snow mixed in with 30 degree temperature swings though!

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Foam rolling might help. It's helped a lot with my IT band and hamstrings, which makes my hips feel better. 

Pigeon stretch (from yoga)

pigeon-stretch.jpg

and I've seen some of the coaches at my box lay on the ground with their feet on the wall ... in a V... like this... 

skimble-workout-trainer-exercise-wall-ly

Another good one... in the squat position, use your elbows to press your knees out

Jon-North-Hip-Flexibility-Stretch-Elbows

another of my favorites....  if you can't get your chest up, just lay on the floor. Feet together, knees apart to make a diamond. 

flexihipsandinnerthighs.jpg

Those will help mostly with the front of the hip... 

This is a great stretch  too

piriformis_stretch.jpg

• Like 4

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

I have similar issues but only with my right hip.  Leftie seems to keep up just fine but after sustained squat work my right hip starts to develop some strain.  One stretch I use, in addition to those mentioned above, is wrapping a thick athletic elastic behind me and then looping both ends around either knee to pull my legs apart.  Do this in either a squat position or on your back with your feet against the wall as if you were squatting off the wall.  Then you can squirm around and pull this way and that to optimize your stretching wherever you need the focus.

I couldn't find any pictures but I hope you get the idea!

• Like 1

Sorry! I've been wanting snow all winter! and i've yet to see it, other than in the mountains around where I live... is it too much to ask for snow?!

well.... come and get it... you can have ALL of mine

I am cool with snow in dec... and jan... MAYBE into feb.... but the whole reason I moved to the SOUTH was to get away from it... (I grew up on lake michigan.... this is too much)

• Like 1

Spoiler

I'm struggling through some mid-week (for me, at least) doldrums and needed a reminder...

Funny-motivational-exercise-quotes-40-e1

Keep on keepin' on, Rangers!

• Like 4