Hi! miss_marissa pointed me in your direction for

a crap-ton of mobility resources

so I will be lurking here! :D

I found out I can't squat, yesterday I read this (on http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085):

If you couldn't keep your weight off of your toes and barely got your thighs to parallel before you started tipping over backwards, you have a fairly severe degree of immobility.

and that is exactly what is happening when I'm trying to squat. So whole new chapter to learn for me as I'm not well known with (im)mobility as far as knowledge (or about my own body) goes.

I'm just beginning my whole 'fitness journey' so I'm very curious about the (in)abilities I do or don't have.

So yeah, hope you don't mind me looking over your shoulder and asking some questions here and there ^_^

• Like 1

~~  Level 2 Assassin ~~

STR: 3 | DEX: 0 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 4

Let's Gain some! My first challenge > Completed!

Some things about me: My Pinterest

hiiii!! you got this, right?

flexible-wtf-floor.gif

EEK. Bet she would have a great back arch for bench press...

Oof. Those mwods.  The high glute on ground area he talks about in the delaminate your glutes video is awesome. He has one in the book that you might have seen that's basically the same. Difference is feet are on a box or chair.  SO GOOD.  

I've been neglecting all that capsule stuff he's talking about in the second one. I need to spend some time. I think that's part of my mobility problem ATM. 

Have you done the barbell on the hamstrings with a super friend? I haven't yet, but I keep seeing it down and all I think is, "ooh yes!!"  

Anyway. My rambling. Good job with everything!!  

re: glutes - Yep, I've tried the chair one! For now I prefer sans chair because it's easier to move my leg and replicate ART style release. But I wonder if you can get more leverage with the chair *makes note to try that out with a chair that isn't on wheels*

re: hamstrings - No, I don't have a super friend :(. Though I could probably get some help from someone in the club. The BB on the quads was surprisingly helpful, so I'd like to experiment with more BB flossing.

You are welcome to ramble about mobility on my thread at any time :).

double post 

tumblr_lxxc0q9sLp1qg6wv9o1_500.gif

Confession time: I was 6 min. late getting off the computer last night because I wanted to finish season 2 of Sherlock.

subbing for anything leg/hip/glute related.

There will be pleeeenty. My glutes and hamstrings like to break, and calves/ankles/quads are a bit troublesome, too. Yoga poses and the mWOD that Kidney bean posted seem to keep the hips in order since last summer *knock on wood*

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

Internet is being funky... continuing:

Hi <3

<3 glad to have you back! As you can see, not much has changed since the summer--I'm focusing on mobility once again.

Hi! miss_marissa pointed me in your direction for

so I will be lurking here! :D

I found out I can't squat, yesterday I read this (on http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085):

and that is exactly what is happening when I'm trying to squat. So whole new chapter to learn for me as I'm not well known with (im)mobility as far as knowledge (or about my own body) goes.

I'm just beginning my whole 'fitness journey' so I'm very curious about the (in)abilities I do or don't have.

So yeah, hope you don't mind me looking over your shoulder and asking some questions here and there ^_^

Haha, welcome! Not too long ago I was also clueless about mobility. I'm slowing organizing all the mobility resources I've been directed to or stumbled across on my own since I started learning. Kudos for educating yourself about movement and mobility, and good luck on your journey! And feel free to ask any questions :).

By the way, third world squats are a great way to work on squat mobility. I don't think I've posted this mWOD yet:

Like he says, you can start off by anchoring yourself so you can get your heels on the ground. And if 10 min. isn't feasible or comfortable, just start off with a minute or two and take lots of breaks.

----------

On that note, a general announcement: I'm throwing out a lot of mobility jargon for the sake of conciseness, and I also know I'm going to get lazier about posting links as the challenge goes on (conversely, I'll probably accidentally re-post some videos). Feel free to ask for clarification if you want to know more (and mobility gurus, please feel free to chip in)! I just may be a bit slow to respond during the week because my internet curfew doesn't leave me much NF time. Also, as I mentioned before, a lot of the exercises will be *somewhere* in the Pinterest account I linked to in my signature ("Supple Lioness").

• Like 2

Sherlock = totally worth it. Totally. 

I did sans chair the other day and it was awful(ly wonderful).  Definitely got some really good places.  I NEED to remember to roll out my quads and hamstrings with a barbell when I get to the gym.  Remind me, k? haha

• Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Sherlock = totally worth it. Totally. 

I did sans chair the other day and it was awful(ly wonderful).  Definitely got some really good places.  I NEED to remember to roll out my quads and hamstrings with a barbell when I get to the gym.  Remind me, k? haha

Definitely worth it (and you kind of have to finish that particular episode!). I started the series a couple months ago after I saw the Imitation Game (staring the same actor).

Haha, I will send barbell flossing thoughts your way. Tip: Try it with a short bar if you have one--it's easier to maneuver (although unfortunately it's also lighter). Now I want to try it on my hamstrings...

------------------

Catching up:

Tuesday mobility

Shoulders: band exercises (an old favorite) and lax ball work

Calves: the below mWOD, but replacing the BB with a lax ball. Made a BIG difference in my foot stance--it actually felt normal for my feet to point forwards. And deep squats felt very comfortable. Of course, it didn't last, so I'll have to add this to my mobility rotation.

Sorry I hate on my calves, Kstar.

Wednesday

Prioritized sleep over morning mobility, so I worked in the extra mobility around my workout: thoracic spine beforehand, and hamstrings (4 min. of lax ball work on each side + 2 min. each side of my favorite lateral hamstring stretch from "IT band hell").

Main lifts were low bar back squats (60 kg x 5 x 3) and heavy singles (in kg again) for deadlifts:

50x5

70x3

90x3

100x1

110x1

115x1

120x1 (PR)

120x1 (to add to my workout volume and to convince myself that it wasn't a fluke)

110x1

90x3 (now these feel light)

I can probably pull a bit more, but I didn't want to take deadlifts to failure (I was already psyching myself out a bit about the heavier weight, so this was largely about building confidence and getting comfortable working close to my max). Most of these sets were filmed.

Also worked on dragon flag progression and lying leg raises on a bench.

Afterwards I rowed for 5 min., mostly for the sake of habit building.

Thursday mobility

Elbow voodoo flossing + tricep lax ball work

I also have written down that I planned to do glutes and quads, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did. Regardless, I got in my 15+ min.

Friday

Glutes--5 min. of lax ball work each

Quad couch stretch--4 min. each side

30 min. walk

Also saw the chiropractor today. The part of my elbow that I've hurt is my anconeus:

p0428supinator.jpg

He also worked on my shoulders, rhomboids, and hamstrings/glutes.

• Like 1

YEA PR!!!! WOO HOO!!!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Ahhhh hell yissss!  PR and chiro work! Be still my heart!  Nicely done! 

Your jedi mind tricks obviously worked. I was about to start my workout and I was all, "OH! BB brutality needed!" so I hit my quads, hamstrings, and calves. 

Ow. :)

• Like 1

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Haha, welcome! Not too long ago I was also clueless about mobility. I'm slowing organizing all the mobility resources I've been directed to or stumbled across on my own since I started learning. Kudos for educating yourself about movement and mobility, and good luck on your journey! And feel free to ask any questions :).

By the way, third world squats are a great way to work on squat mobility. I don't think I've posted this mWOD yet:

Like he says, you can start off by anchoring yourself so you can get your heels on the ground. And if 10 min. isn't feasible or comfortable, just start off with a minute or two and take lots of breaks.

----------

On that note, a general announcement: I'm throwing out a lot of mobility jargon for the sake of conciseness, and I also know I'm going to get lazier about posting links as the challenge goes on (conversely, I'll probably accidentally re-post some videos). Feel free to ask for clarification if you want to know more (and mobility gurus, please feel free to chip in)! I just may be a bit slow to respond during the week because my internet curfew doesn't leave me much NF time. Also, as I mentioned before, a lot of the exercises will be *somewhere* in the Pinterest account I linked to in my signature ("Supple Lioness").

Awesome! Thank you so much.

'm throwing out a lot of mobility jargon for the sake of conciseness

I noticed, thank you for willing to explain!

I will follow you@ Pinterest!

• Like 1

~~  Level 2 Assassin ~~

STR: 3 | DEX: 0 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 4

Let's Gain some! My first challenge > Completed!

Some things about me: My Pinterest

Thanks everyone! Getting a PR isn't too difficult when you've never gone for deadlift singles XD. But I realized yesterday that 120 kg is actually a nice landmark for me since it's just over 1.5x bodyweight.

Onwards to 2x bw deadlift!

Your jedi mind tricks obviously worked. I was about to start my workout and I was all, "OH! BB brutality needed!" so I hit my quads, hamstrings, and calves. 

My secret is out... now you know how I got that PR:

tumblr_m9401tJRaN1qg1vd7.jpg

Also, if you search "jedi deadlift" on Google's image, spezzy's photo shows about a page down in the search results. But we already knew that she's a jedi.

-------------------

Yesterday (Saturday)

Morning mobility: ~16 min. on calves (pretty much the "Why do you hate on your calves" mWOD again). I also incorporated some ideas from the below video, which is pretty much the same calf stretch but goes into more details about basic mobility concepts. It's a shame that it's taken me this long to start watching the earlier mWOD videos--I never made it past #2 until now.

Duck feet have been averted again.

Lifts: Worked up to 62 kg x 5 x 3 for back squats and filmed a couple of sets. Since my face isn't very clear in them, I weighed my desire for complete anonymity vs. taking advantage of all of NF's resources and the latter won, so those sets are now posted in the form check forum. Go pick apart my squats. Be brutal.

I then did DB bench press with my left arm (i.e., the good arm) only and some accessory work (BB glute bridge, back extensions, and plank). I'm just going to do deadlift in our informal competition this upcoming Saturday in order to practice for the push-pull--I want this elbow to heal completely so I'm prepared for that meet.

Evening mobility: Hamstrings (lax ball and the "IT band hell" stretch). You'll notice I'm repeating a lot of the same stretches and techniques now--I'm finding what's effective and sticking with it.

Also, an epiphany:

I read up to mid-Ch. 4 in Supple Leopard yesterday. For those unfamiliar with the book, the first chapters are about moving correctly so 1) you don't hurt yourself, and 2) you're more powerful. Anyway, I was having some trouble understanding external shoulder rotation until this morning. While I was lying on my back, I stuck my left arm in the air like I was holding an invisible barbell, rotated my hand and arm counterclockwise, and then bench pressed that invisible barbell.

Oh. Oooooooooooooooooh.

So, you know that bench press cue, "break the bard in half"? I'd always thought they meant break the bar in a plane perpendicular to the floor (so the pieces would point to the ceiling), but they meant break it in a plane parallel to the floor (so the pieces would point towards the wall behind your head).

Video for clarification:

I feel rather silly, but to be fair there are an infinite number of ways to break a bar in half. Thanks for explaining things with physics terms, Kstar. I always understood dance concepts better when they were explained using physics, too.

Maybe I'll stop hurting my elbows now...

• Like 3

Subbed for lurking, interested in the mobility thing as I seem as mobile as a rock. ;)

======================================================================================

[Level 2 Monk]

STR: 2 - DEX: 1 - STA: 2 - CON: 2 - WIS: 4 - CHA: 4

:triumphant: [COMPLETED!] My first challenge - Challenge virgin reporting for duty! [/COMPLETED!] :triumphant: 

:angel: [iN PROGRESS!] My second challenge - Keejos becoming a Monk! [/iN PROGRESS!] :angel:

"Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels." - Someone

======================================================================================

Also, an epiphany:

I read up to mid-Ch. 4 in Supple Leopard yesterday. For those unfamiliar with the book, the first chapters are about moving correctly so 1) you don't hurt yourself, and 2) you're more powerful. Anyway, I was having some trouble understanding external shoulder rotation until this morning. While I was lying on my back, I stuck my left arm in the air like I was holding an invisible barbell, rotated my hand and arm counterclockwise, and then bench pressed that invisible barbell.

Oh. Oooooooooooooooooh.

So, you know that bench press cue, "break the bard in half"? I'd always thought they meant break the bar in a plane perpendicular to the floor (so the pieces would point to the ceiling), but they meant break it in a plane parallel to the floor (so the pieces would point towards the wall behind your head).

Video for clarification:

I feel rather silly, but to be fair there are an infinite number of ways to break a bar in half. Thanks for explaining things with physics terms, Kstar. I always understood dance concepts better when they were explained using physics, too.

OMG that makes so much more sense now.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Thanks everyone! Getting a PR isn't too difficult when you've never gone for deadlift singles XD. But I realized yesterday that 120 kg is actually a nice landmark for me since it's just over 1.5x bodyweight.

Onwards to 2x bw deadlift!

My secret is out... now you know how I got that PR:

tumblr_m9401tJRaN1qg1vd7.jpg

Also, if you search "jedi deadlift" on Google's image, spezzy's photo shows about a page down in the search results. But we already knew that she's a jedi.

-------------------

Yesterday (Saturday)

Morning mobility: ~16 min. on calves (pretty much the "Why do you hate on your calves" mWOD again). I also incorporated some ideas from the below video, which is pretty much the same calf stretch but goes into more details about basic mobility concepts. It's a shame that it's taken me this long to start watching the earlier mWOD videos--I never made it past #2 until now.

Duck feet have been averted again.

Lifts: Worked up to 62 kg x 5 x 3 for back squats and filmed a couple of sets. Since my face isn't very clear in them, I weighed my desire for complete anonymity vs. taking advantage of all of NF's resources and the latter won, so those sets are now posted in the form check forum. Go pick apart my squats. Be brutal.

I then did DB bench press with my left arm (i.e., the good arm) only and some accessory work (BB glute bridge, back extensions, and plank). I'm just going to do deadlift in our informal competition this upcoming Saturday in order to practice for the push-pull--I want this elbow to heal completely so I'm prepared for that meet.

Evening mobility: Hamstrings (lax ball and the "IT band hell" stretch). You'll notice I'm repeating a lot of the same stretches and techniques now--I'm finding what's effective and sticking with it.

Also, an epiphany:

Oh. Oooooooooooooooooh.

Video for clarification:

Thanks for the video pointer. I've been doing it right but any pointers to remind me of good form is helpful. 

Level 2 Warrior  | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Current Challenge  First Challenge

Subbed for lurking, interested in the mobility thing as I seem as mobile as a rock. ;)

Welcome!

Ha. I was doing that wrong too!

OMG that makes so much more sense now.

Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by this cue!

Thanks for the video pointer. I've been doing it right but any pointers to remind me of good form is helpful. 

No problem. This is largely a "don't break myself" challenge, which starts with good form, so I've been pinning a few form videos, too.

----------

On the subject of external shoulder rotation:

I played around with this a bit on Sunday, but I prefer to do it with a barbell (which, unfortunately, I don't have at home... YET). I also did some other shoulder and upper back/lats work, then spent some time hanging out in a third world squat.

There was also a walk, although since I took my camera along there was quite a bit of standing around taking photos, too.

Week 1 Recap

Mobility

• Learning: I've read through Ch. 4 of Supple Leopard.
  • Implementation: 15+ min. of target mobility done 7/7 days, and my body is feeling a LOT better already.
  • Organization: I've pinned a total of 36 mobility articles/exercises.
  • Assistance: Check for chiropractic/ART this week. Total visits: 1
  • Feedback: 2 squat sessions and 1 deadlift session videotaped. No upper body work this week.Total videos: 2/1/0/0 squat/deadlifts/bench/OHP.

Everything else

• Lifting: 3 sessions. Total sessions: 3
  • Keep moving: Check. Two walks and one short rowing session.
  • Food tracking: Done. Protein goal met every day.
  • Food mindfulness: A-
  • Sleep: Fairly good. I was 6 min. late one night, and checked (but did not reply to) to messages past 8:15 pm another night.
  • Like 2

I'm thoroughly enjoying  your thread. Mmmm mobility.  You're reminding me of all my favorites I haven't done in too long.  (I suck at that calf/ankle one. I never do it and I neeeed it).  Also, the shoulder one is excellent.  I've done it with bands around the shoulders.  Is nice. Much stretch. Wow. 

• Like 2

If you run across anything good for upper body squat mobility, as in, the kind of stretching and mobility to get your arms in the right position for holding the bar, lemme know. I have been doing doorway stretches and "shoulder dislocators" <--worst name *ever*... and some foam rolling but any other suggestions would be great. I end up with bicep strain!

Yup. I was def doing it wrong too.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

gratz on the pr!

Pardon typos; sheep have hooves, not hands.

It's official: they definitely need to specify force vectors when they use that cue. I think we have enough people who misinterpreted it start a club. "Hi, my name is Alanna and it's been 2 weeks since I broke the bar in the wrong direction..."

Thanks!

I'm thoroughly enjoying  your thread. Mmmm mobility.  You're reminding me of all my favorites I haven't done in too long.  (I suck at that calf/ankle one. I never do it and I neeeed it).  Also, the shoulder one is excellent.  I've done it with bands around the shoulders.  Is nice. Much stretch. Wow. 

So much mobility. So little time. Feel free to post any favorites that I've missed :).

Oooooo, band + shoulder stretch? I'll need to try that some time...

If you run across anything good for upper body squat mobility, as in, the kind of stretching and mobility to get your arms in the right position for holding the bar, lemme know. I have been doing doorway stretches and "shoulder dislocators" <--worst name *ever*... and some foam rolling but any other suggestions would be great. I end up with bicep strain!

Will do! And ouch--I hope the bicep feels better. I've noticed that I have to be careful of my ouchy elbow while doing a lot of the shoulder stretches.

I used to have the worst shoulder mobility. It's still not great, but what took me from a Level 0 to a level 1 mobility-wise were the shoulder band pull-aparts I posted earlier. Just start with a super light resistance band. My shoulders would snap, crackle, and pop like crazy when I first started these--now I still get a few cracks, but everything feels much more stable. They helped strengthen my shoulders, too.

You also reminded me that I need to take a look at these squat mobility exercises again. T-spine and shoulders are probably both worth hammering if you're having trouble holding the bar.

I also like to do "the sink+shoulder extension" stretch that I posted above in between sets when I'm doing low bar squats.

Honestly, what then took me from a Level 1 (comfortable high bar squats) to Level 2 (comfortable low bar squats) was the Active Release Therapy--even one session on my shoulders dramatically improved my ability to get into a low bar squat position. Now I'm looking for some exercises that have similar effects--I'll let you know what I find.

-------

Update: Monday stuff happened. Main lifts were squats (65 kg x 5 x 3) and deadlifts (107.5 kg x 5). Extra mobility focused on shoulders/t-spine and hamstrings.

• Like 1

You also reminded me that I need to take a look at these squat mobility exercises again. T-spine and shoulders are probably both worth hammering if you're having trouble holding the bar.

I also like to do "the sink+shoulder extension" stretch that I posted above in between sets when I'm doing low bar squats.

Honestly, what then took me from a Level 1 (comfortable high bar squats) to Level 2 (comfortable low bar squats) was the Active Release Therapy--even one session on my shoulders dramatically improved my ability to get into a low bar squat position. Now I'm looking for some exercises that have similar effects--I'll let you know what I find.

Great videos. Thanks. Also, you mentioned the ART, do you have any recommendations on specific locations to use a lax ball or foam roller? 

Great videos. Thanks. Also, you mentioned the ART, do you have any recommendations on specific locations to use a lax ball or foam roller? 

There are some mWODs on shoulder mobility techniques using a lax ball--I'll have to track them down. But I was referring to physical therapy ART--i.e., someone else performing ART on my shoulders. Theoretically you might be able to do the same thing to yourself... the reason I haven't been able to is 1) lack of knowledge about shoulder anatomy (on the same note, I'm wary of tweaking my shoulders accidentally) and where my movement is restricted, 2) it's kind of an awkward place to reach, and 3) usually someone else is able to hurt you more (in a good, massage/release sort of way) than you can hurt yourself. Sorry I wasn't clear before!

• Like 1

your thread helped me officially dub my workout time tomorrow morning as mobility time! i need it and it won't mess with my schedule. i've pinned so many good videos (some from you!) but never went back to implement or even watch them. that ends tomorrow!

• Like 3

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current