Hi guys

This challenge for me (my second, just moved up from recruit!) is about losing as much fat as it is possible to lose in a sustainable manner. I weigh 172lb, and according to my estimations, I should weigh no more than 156. I have made a huge impact in my fitness level by taking up jogging, but I'd like to start branching out, as well as generally doing more. I also have huge issues with coordination, posture, flexibility etc, and if these got improved along the way, it would be a great thing.

Last challenge I aimed fairly low, as I wanted to really make sure I would stick with it. This challenge I'm aiming higher!

Anyway, my challenges are as follows:

Main Quest: To weigh no more than 156lb

Quest 1: Food

I want to follow my complicated food and drink plan, which consists of this:

Monday and Tuesday: <1900 calories. No alcohol.

Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun: <1900 calories which may include up to two UK units of alcohol.

Friday (date night): < 2400 calories which may include up to six units of alcohol.

NB if I stick to diet and exercise plans and at week three have lost less than 3lb, I will drop to <1500 and <2000 respectively. Also, not doing paleo as am veggie.

Measurement: A≥ Stick to this strictly throughout all 6 weeks, B= Up to 6 days where I didn't stick to this overall. C= Up to 12 days where I didn't stick to it overall.

Reward: A = +2 CHA, +2 CON, +1 STA

Quest 2: Exercise.

Follow my complicated routine of:

Every week

1x 1.5 mile run

1x 3 mile run

1x 5.6 mile run

1x 20 minutes boxing

1x Yoga 30 mins

1x core bag work out

1x sit ups and stretches (warm up, down, energising and posture stretches)

1x NFBWW

7 x toe touchers

7x (press ups to failure x3)

Measurement: A= Do all of these things each week, B = Do at least seven of these things each week, = do at least six of these things each week.

Reward: A = +1 STR, +2 STA, +1 DEX, +1 CHA

Quest 3: Balance

Stand on one leg (my right) during the time it takes to boil the kettle EVERY TIME.

Stand on one leg (my left) after flushing the toilet during the time it takes to stop

Measurement: = Perfect, B = Follow to at least week 4, C = Follow to at least week 3.

Reward: A = +2 DEX

Life Quest: Code for ten minutes at least five days a week and at least one hour on one day.

Measurement: = Perfect score, B = At least four days of ten minutes and at least 30 on one, C = at least three days at ten minutes and one at twenty.

Reward: A = +3 WIS

• Like 1

Level 2 Potential Slayer Adventurer

STA: 7/ CON: 4/ DEX: 1

Captain Sam says hello NF!

Quite a list of things to do. Rather than have a big checklist, I used to have a 'base' workout and a 'bonus' workout. I always did my base workout, but if I felt like I had extra energy to spare, I'd do the bonus one which was a bunch of other options to choose from. That way I didn't feel obligated.

Anyways, good luck and have fun this challenge. If you have questions, feel free to send me a PM or post on my thread.

Quite a list of things to do. Rather than have a big checklist, I used to have a 'base' workout and a 'bonus' workout. I always did my base workout, but if I felt like I had extra energy to spare, I'd do the bonus one which was a bunch of other options to choose from. That way I didn't feel obligated.

Anyways, good luck and have fun this challenge. If you have questions, feel free to send me a PM or post on my thread.

Oh that's a great idea; will think about modifying it after seeing how it goes in the first week! Thanks for the advice and support! 

That's a good list! Good plan - let us know if you need motivating, pestering or yelling at. We can do that 

Thank you! I'm feeling completely motivated at the moment! I know already when the two hard points in this challenge will be: 1) next weekend, when I visit my sister who's living away from home for the first time 2) In a few weeks, when my friend comes to stay - we have a long history of staying up drinking/eating a lot of cake. Those will be the hard times! Everything else is just a case of being strict with myself, which I'm getting increasingly good at :) 

It's quite the impressive list of exercises, and a whole lot of it is running (which is something I'm not really a fan on personally).

The losing weight thing is cool though, kind of why I'm hanging around here this challenge. And as such, I'll be subing. Good Luck!

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

It's quite the impressive list of exercises, and a whole lot of it is running (which is something I'm not really a fan on personally).

The losing weight thing is cool though, kind of why I'm hanging around here this challenge. And as such, I'll be subing. Good Luck!

I like running! It's pretty much the only form of exercise that requires you to have zero strength, flexibility or coordination so good for a total beginner like me! 

So, discovered that I now weigh 175lb. Very sad! Think it might have something to do with the fact that it was my partner's birthday at the weekend so I pretty much spent two days solid drinking beer and eating (the most amazing even if I do say so myself) peanut butter and chocolate cake. Annoyed to have put on a bit of weight but it seemed a bit inevitable during the break week. Ah well! At least it's a nice round number for the start of the challenge! Took 'before' photos but am not brave enough to put them on the internet :P

A three pound swing isn't anything to fret about, in my opinion.  I've lost that much in water during a snow-shoveling session (looks like I'm going to get to repeat it this coming weekend), and I didn't get to enjoy any cake for the effort. ;)

I do put my photos up, not because I'm brave but because I'm ashamed of them.  Photos are the only way I can actually see myself accurately.  In the mirror I still look like Atlas.  Male vision is a remarkable thing. B)

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

A three pound swing isn't anything to fret about, in my opinion.  I've lost that much in water during a snow-shoveling session (looks like I'm going to get to repeat it this coming weekend), and I didn't get to enjoy any cake for the effort. ;)

I do put my photos up, not because I'm brave but because I'm ashamed of them.  Photos are the only way I can actually see myself accurately.  In the mirror I still look like Atlas.  Male vision is a remarkable thing. B)

Hahah you're right; I certainly did enjoy the cake, so it's not all bad! 

And male vision sounds great fun! I struggle with the version of me in my head not matching up to the one in the mirror. I actually look like Wonder Woman, but for some reason this pale wobbly person keeps peering at my from my mirror....

• Like 1

Finding the calorie control thing SO much harder than I expected! Never done it (or not seriously, at least) before, and I didn't realise that I'd be hungry all the time, and think about almost nothing but food. Also feel sore, tired, weak, generally low... On the plus side, I've done quite a lot of my exercise for the week so far already. And I'm already noticing an improvement in my ability to stand on one leg... Whether that proves to be a transferable skill, only time will tell, but I'm crossing my fingers! 

I find the whole calorie thing hard too.

Just out of curiosity, how are you going about it? Are you just eating normally and stopping when you hit your numbers for the day? Or are you setting meals to fit your numbers?

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Just out of curiosity, how are you going about it? Are you just eating normally and stopping when you hit your numbers for the day? Or are you setting meals to fit your numbers?

Errrm somewhere between the two. I have 1900 for a day, so I do approximately 500 breakfast, 500 lunch, 500 dinner, with the extra 400 as leeway/snacks. I know that I have to stay roughly within those limits so it gives me some structure. 

For example, yesterday:

Breakfast: grape juice, black coffee, porridge with a teaspoon of peanut butter and made up with whole milk (406 cals)

Lunch: Muesli with cashew nuts, apple and fig, again made with full fat milk (452 cals)

Dinner: Large sweet potato topped with veggies (onion, garlic, broccoli, mushroom) and with a side of green cabbage.(550 cals)

Various snacks dotted throughout the day: apple, two bananas, glass of diet soda (or 'pop' as we call it in the UK!), handful of sunflower seeds, two crackers, lots of black coffee and water (451 cals)

Does that sound like a good way of doing it to you? 

i think you might be a little light on protein. I was going to say: "up your fibre" but it sounds like you're doing pretty well there already.

Lean protein takes a bit longer to break down in your stomach and so can increase your satiety. I notice no meat in your diet, I'm assuming vegetarian? If that's the case: nonfat Greek yoghurt and reduced fat cottage cheese are both great sources of protein with not a whole lot else. Plus there's egg whites, and of course protein powders (both vegetarian blends and milk subtypes including whey and casein)

The other thing I did was break my meals down into a bunch of smaller meals instead of 3 bigger ones.

My meal plan looks like this (and yes, it's very brotastic but it works for me)

Meal 1 chobani yoghurt and I light mini babybell cheese with 1 caramel iced latte with lite milk. Comes to 380 calories.

Meal 2 chicken burrito bowl (125 grams of marinaded Chicken oven baked, with lettuce, mexi-bean mix, and nonfat plain greek yoghurt) about 360 calories

Meal 3 125g marinated BBQ steak with about a cup of frozen vegetables 180 calories

Meal 4 125g extra lean beef mince with Dolmio spaghetti sauce and grated zucchini served on 2 small potatoes.

Meal 5 100g plain nonfat greek yogurt with half a scoop of whey protein and 100g frozen fruit (dependent on the flavour of protein, lately the combination has been chocolate with cherries)

I can't remember the calorie counts of the last two meals but the whole day comes to around 1500 calories and 150g of protein. I still hungry all the time, but with an extra 400 calories a day I could fit in a 6th meal and be quite satiated.

Also, with porridge in the morning and museli at lunch, that's quite a bit of oats: they are great sources of nutrition. But I tended to find when my serving sizes crept up to keep me full, they were lots of calories.

Anyway, overall, it looks like a very nutritious diet. Pile in the green vegetables where you can though. They are extremly low in calories and with enough you shouldn't really ever find yourself hungry.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Looks pretty solid to me.  I snack less and eat more meat than you do, but I get to enjoy a square of good chocolate on workout days. :D

In my experience it takes a few weeks of steady calorie restriction to adjust to new eating habits.  Generally, Week 3 has been the worst for me and then it gets progressively better from there.  I've been eating 1600-1800 per day (nearly 1000 daily deficit per the calculators) for almost eight weeks and after the initial adjustment period the only times I felt hungry were following a fast-food meal--and the correlation was so strong that I try to avoid it at all costs now.  When I do feel hungry I just drink more water.

• Like 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

I am seconding the protein idea! 

My go to breakfast is Greek yogurt, nut butter, and cinnamon (290 calories with peanut butter). I don't know, maybe it's weird, but it's delicious and keeps me full.

Another good idea would be hummus and veggies. I've also got a quinoa veggie salad recipe I can possibly dig out of hiding if you are interested.

I am tracking food intake / calories this challenge too. I keep protein at about 30% of my caloric intake daily and haven't been having too many issues with hunger (other than in the morning - I wake up starving these days!). Interested in watching your challenge as I am close to your size (182 lbs) and am eating 1500 / 1900 calories (non-exercise / exercise) days.  

• Like 2

My go to breakfast is Greek yogurt, nut butter, and cinnamon (290 calories with peanut butter). I don't know, maybe it's weird, but it's delicious and keeps me full.

Add chunks of lightly microwaved apple, and it sounds like my dessert...

Dwarf Warrior

I am seconding the protein idea! 

Another good idea would be hummus and veggies. I've also got a quinoa veggie salad recipe I can possibly dig out of hiding if you are interested.

I am tracking food intake / calories this challenge too. I keep protein at about 30% of my caloric intake daily and haven't been having too many issues with hunger (other than in the morning - I wake up starving these days!). Interested in watching your challenge as I am close to your size (182 lbs) and am eating 1500 / 1900 calories (non-exercise / exercise) days.  

So, following the suggestions here, I went out and bought myself a big pot of yoghurt and had yoghurt and peanut butter for breakfast. It was delicious, but only time will tell how full it will keep me! I love hummus so thanks for the reminder, and I would LOVE your quinoa salad recipe if you come across it please! 

If it's not too nosy, can I ask how tall you are? I'm 5"6!

Looks pretty solid to me.  I snack less and eat more meat than you do, but I get to enjoy a square of good chocolate on workout days. :D

In my experience it takes a few weeks of steady calorie restriction to adjust to new eating habits.  Generally, Week 3 has been the worst for me and then it gets progressively better from there.  I've been eating 1600-1800 per day (nearly 1000 daily deficit per the calculators) for almost eight weeks and after the initial adjustment period the only times I felt hungry were following a fast-food meal--and the correlation was so strong that I try to avoid it at all costs now.  When I do feel hungry I just drink more water.

To my credit, I didn't snack this much until I started having much smaller meals! I didn't used to snack at all during the day time! I'm glad to hear that there's such a thing as an 'initial adjustment period', 'coz hopefully that means I'll be adjusted soon!

i think you might be a little light on protein. I was going to say: "up your fibre" but it sounds like you're doing pretty well there already.

Lean protein takes a bit longer to break down in your stomach and so can increase your satiety. I notice no meat in your diet, I'm assuming vegetarian? If that's the case: nonfat Greek yoghurt and reduced fat cottage cheese are both great sources of protein with not a whole lot else. Plus there's egg whites, and of course protein powders (both vegetarian blends and milk subtypes including whey and casein)

The other thing I did was break my meals down into a bunch of smaller meals instead of 3 bigger ones.

My meal plan looks like this (and yes, it's very brotastic but it works for me)

Meal 1 chobani yoghurt and I light mini babybell cheese with 1 caramel iced latte with lite milk. Comes to 380 calories.

Meal 2 chicken burrito bowl (125 grams of marinaded Chicken oven baked, with lettuce, mexi-bean mix, and nonfat plain greek yoghurt) about 360 calories

Meal 3 125g marinated BBQ steak with about a cup of frozen vegetables 180 calories

Meal 4 125g extra lean beef mince with Dolmio spaghetti sauce and grated zucchini served on 2 small potatoes.

Meal 5 100g plain nonfat greek yogurt with half a scoop of whey protein and 100g frozen fruit (dependent on the flavour of protein, lately the combination has been chocolate with cherries)

I can't remember the calorie counts of the last two meals but the whole day comes to around 1500 calories and 150g of protein. I still hungry all the time, but with an extra 400 calories a day I could fit in a 6th meal and be quite satiated.

Also, with porridge in the morning and museli at lunch, that's quite a bit of oats: they are great sources of nutrition. But I tended to find when my serving sizes crept up to keep me full, they were lots of calories.

Anyway, overall, it looks like a very nutritious diet. Pile in the green vegetables where you can though. They are extremly low in calories and with enough you shouldn't really ever find yourself hungry.

Protein is the only thing that makes me regret being veggie a bit! (yes, you were right about the vegetarianism!). The tricky thing is finding stuff that's the right ratio of high protein but low cal. Bought yoghurt. Will buy cottage cheese next, because I adore it, too. And I need to remember to eat more chick peas. 

Your meals sound delicious, by the way! Glad it's working out well for you! 

So, following the suggestions here, I went out and bought myself a big pot of yoghurt and had yoghurt and peanut butter for breakfast. It was delicious, but only time will tell how full it will keep me! I love hummus so thanks for the reminder, and I would LOVE your quinoa salad recipe if you come across it please! 

If it's not too nosy, can I ask how tall you are? I'm 5"6!

I hope the yogurt / peanut butter works for you. I love it! I will look for the recipe and post it when I find it.

I'm 5'10", so a little taller than you. 

Recipe time!

My normal quinoa treatment is to cook it, make a basic vinaigrette (think salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice), and then add in fresh veggies / herbs based upon whatever flavor palette I feel like. For example, I'll do mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, olives, and basil or carrots, spring onions, and hot chili oil.

I am awful about using recipes - I cook by taste mostly. Here is one that I've tried before and was a hit with the family. Also, not sure how you feel about corn, but this is a salad we make regularly. 

Protein is the only thing that makes me regret being veggie a bit! (yes, you were right about the vegetarianism!). The tricky thing is finding stuff that's the right ratio of high protein but low cal. Bought yoghurt. Will buy cottage cheese next, because I adore it, too. And I need to remember to eat more chick peas.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

First bit is meats, but there's a list that shows other options.