Messy IRL is messy. Sorry for the radio silence.

Abridged version: I’m running into a bit of trouble with the (literal) plan, but nothing “structuralâ€; it does need adapting to our extra-late dinners (meaning bed time must change) and my lil’ bro’s schedule[1] (lest we trample on each other’s feet)[2][3]. Thanks everyone for the "Linux in a Virtual Machine/on a Live CD USB" suggestion, I really hadn’t thought of it.[4] A USB was prepared today and will come into use on Monday. Hopefully by then I can write the challenge goal breakdown for the past 1½ weeks.

Cheers!

1Lil’ bro is a university student, currently on spring break. And since university is somewhat nearby, he’s back here every odd weekend or so.

2Our apartment is small, so we’re forced to share a room. Which also happens to be my work area, where my (stationary) computer sits.

3As of today: Shower, breakfast, then work (via remote connection, from our living room). Workout during the first work break, roughly at 11am or 12pm. Bed time is ½h later, or maybe 1h if needed. The rest is the same as before.

4In my mind, because of how I use them, Live CDs are strictly linked to “help, I need to backup all my data because I want to reformat my HDDâ€.

• Like 1

M (the 13th letter). Lvl 6 Elven Monk.

Mathematics, computer science, martial arts and bodyweight strength training. Also, sometimes, fiction.

Hello, world!

Challenges: “Consistency†⟶ “Preparation†⟶ “Multiplexing†⟶ “Sanity†⟶ “Escape†⟶ “Lockdown†⟶ “Probation†⟶ “Detention†⟶ “Foundationâ€(×3) ⟶ “All In!†⟶ “Happy Hourâ€

This just in: The Master from Heidelberg is visiting us today, and, using a (IMO) not very believable excuse,[1] he made us do seven or eight different versions each of squat-, pushup- and situp-ish variant exercises, all the way to failure.[2] I recognized squats, calf raises (in squat position), lunges, lunge holds, situps, sideways situps, leg raises, pushups, superman pushups and hindu pushups. And then there were other variants whose names I don’t know.

So yeah… I’m-a check off “workout†for today, ’kay?

1“I’m not the tallest person,[3] and I’m not the most muscular either, so I’ve thought a lot about building strength and using the whole body to unleash force.†and “Now let’s do something for our arms/legs/beer belly.â€

2Take for example pushups: My current standard are ≈12 knee pushups, so asking me to do 70–80 pushups of even higher difficulty until failure… well… will probably be over a lot sooner than he’d hope.

3He’s maybe 5′8″. I don’t think that counts as small.

• Like 4

Mathematics, computer science, martial arts and bodyweight strength training. Also, sometimes, fiction.

Hello, world!

Challenges: “Consistency†⟶ “Preparation†⟶ “Multiplexing†⟶ “Sanity†⟶ “Escape†⟶ “Lockdown†⟶ “Probation†⟶ “Detention†⟶ “Foundationâ€(×3) ⟶ “All In!†⟶ “Happy Hourâ€

Acceptable. :tongue:

I think so, too.  From all that painful experiences when our master in Munich felt like "Let's do some push-ups in every possible and IMpossible way." You have my sincere ... empathy ... thingy.

*poke* ... *poke* .... *pokitypokepoke*  ... Don't force me to come over and drag you here :P Just kidding, I hope your schedule isn't too messed up today after that late-night session yesterday :/

The voices in my head might not be real. But sometimes they have AMAZING ideas.

STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 1 WIS 1 CHA 1 - Respawned Level 1 Human Monk

Challenge Jan 5 - Feb 15, 2015

How's the computer situation working out?  Were you able to get something working on one of a laptop?

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Things are going on, even if the layers of dusts and patches of weed on this challenge thread may indicate otherwise.

• First of all, check out this progress table. This has been my baby for the past couple of days. The official reason for this table is to visualize my workout performance over several days, given the rotating nature of my workout program. The unofficial reason is that I started keeping track of my numbers in a text file (JSON), and then I wanted to generate (or at least template) my progress reports on NF from that. Also, using jq[1] to generate the table instead of Python[2] made for a much more interesting problem to solve. (see paragraph #3)
  • Earlier in January, I applied for a study position at the University of Hagen, the single university in Germany which offers distance education, potentially on a part-time basis. As of April 1st, I am now officially an undergraduate[3] student of computer science. So now I don’t have to get into these “but I’m not really a comp.sci. major†talks anymore. On the other hand, it’s still hard for me to not identify as a mathematician
  • Despite the above, I’m still looking for Ph.D. positions in maths. During this season, I’ve sent out two applications. One was for a position in statistics in Northwest Germany, the other one was for a mentoring position for maths classes at the University of Hagen’s local facility in Munich. Especially the latter would be a great complement to my comp.sci. studies, so I’m really hoping that one gets through.
  • My mother has stepped through another set of laptops, so I’ve inherited one of hers. I am no longer bound to my workdesk! The Live USB didn’t work as such, though, because that machine has a really weird display size (1792×768), which mucks up the display in the Live USB’s default configuration. So I installed my favorite Linux distro[4] on it. Disabling Windows 8’s “Secure Bootâ€[5] and fixing the display problems in the Debian Installer took another 4 days or so as well, but… at least now it’s working.
  • Addendum: I would like to particularly thank 7FG for his Week 4 encouragement speech from the last challenge. It’s really the reason why I managed to post this update during week 5, and not during week 7 or so. Even if I’m technically one challenge too late.
  • As far as my challenge goals go, well… I dunno. I’d say they’re inconsistent, if anything, but they’re not failing per se; I’d be much more cynical about them in that case. Exercise is the most critical one; that one (along with working late) blocks sleep, which in turn blocks food (breakfast). I’m focusing on getting that one straight, and the rest will follow, I’m sure. And if not, then… well… I’d better start getting a hold of a recipe for those cakes I wish I hadn’t promised.
  • Addendum: Using technology to force-shutdown my computer on time is really the best thing I’ve done so far in this challenge. If, like me, you’re in danger of not knowing when to stop work because you lose track of time, I highly recommend setting alarm clocks to knock you out of the flow. Preferably the loudest, most intrusive and most obnoxious alarm clock you can find. And if that alarm clock is digital, then you can even add in some extra perks like auto-shutdown.

1I’ve played with this tool, but only interactively, with short-ish and simple JSON snippets (~2 levels deep, only known keys and values, etc.). This is my first larger project, where the input data is reasonably large, irregular, and must be transformed somewhat non-linearly. I’m also rather new to functional languages as well, and it’s hard for me to avoid slipping back into imperative thinking. But overall, this mini-project has been really intriguing.

2My strongest language, particularly when it comes to dealing with nested data structures.

3Since I’m doing this for shits and giggles, since I know that my maths courses won’t be sufficient to skip the full undergrad curriculum, since there are no time constraints as long as I can pay the (puny) school fees and since this way I can do more computer science, nominally, I’m doing a full run: Bachelor and Master of Science in Computer Science. Of course, I’ll be applying for skipping the maths parts, so it’ll be somewhat faster than the full run.

4Debian, in case you were wondering.

5…which should more precisely be called “Obstructed Bootâ€.

• Like 2

Hello, world!

It’s been a while. As always.

I was in Munich on Thursday and Friday last week, in order to (make the Courier) borrow some books from my alma mater’s library: one book on matroids (a generalized linear independence structure), one on semidefinite programming (linear optimization problems, but with positive semidefiniteness instead of non-negativity), and one on data compression (the reason why your portable audio player can hold hundreds or thousands of songs, but CD’s can’t). Afterwards, on Friday evening, we visited TKD Munich-Southwest (the Courier’s school), during a get-together of our two respective schools. My boss’ wife was there too, and having heard I was in Munich during the day, she asked me what I was doing here. When I showed her the books, she said “Put that stuff away, geez, there are kids running around here.†Go figure.

Fast-forward to yesterday, April 1st, and I get a bunch of “giftsâ€, some of which I’m not sure if they’re actually April Fool’s jokes in disguise: a (1½ weeks late?) acknowledgement of receipt for my application as a maths mentor in Munich (see item #3), including that the final decision will be made after Easter; a stack of study materials (some 250–300 pages worth) for my comp.sci. studies (see item #2), including my first set of homework, due after Easter; and finally, 2–3 inches of snow, so that we can hide our Christmas eggs under the Easter tree, or something. Go figure. Bigtime.

Anyway, on the “challenge†side of things… I think it’s time to get ready to learn to bake a cake. Though I am better off sleep-/food-/exercise-wise than at the start of this challenge, I don’t feel like I can boldly claim to have “nailed†this challenge. Meh. At least this isn’t strip poker.

Oh, also, my challenge progress table is now up-to-date as of April 1st 2nd.

• Like 2

Hello, world!