Amdhiel's Quest to Become BAMF v4

Amdhiel

Agreed on the small wins - I hate hate hate doing my budgeting but I forced myself to sit down this weekend and do it... woo hoo!  Lots of small victories = big victory :)

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Agreed on the small wins - I hate hate hate doing my budgeting but I forced myself to sit down this weekend and do it... woo hoo!  Lots of small victories = big victory :)

I actually hate doing my budgeting less these days because I gradually changed philosophies when I started using YNAB (You Need A Budget). I find it's easier to budget because it's now a flexibile thing based on my priorities at any given time. I also have the app on my phone so I can keep my spending up-to-date as I go. 

Mind you, I wasn't really taught about handling money in any healthy fashion. My dad was/is a miser about spending money on anything unless it's something HE wants. His philosophy to budgeting was it is the most super secret thing in the world and NO ONE CAN KNOW. He also never talked about money/spending priorities w/ my mom and liked to constantly switch things up on her so money/budgets have been a toxic toxic thing for me.

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

I actually hate doing my budgeting less these days because I gradually changed philosophies when I started using YNAB (You Need A Budget). I find it's easier to budget because it's now a flexibile thing based on my priorities at any given time. I also have the app on my phone so I can keep my spending up-to-date as I go. 

Mind you, I wasn't really taught about handling money in any healthy fashion. My dad was/is a miser about spending money on anything unless it's something HE wants. His philosophy to budgeting was it is the most super secret thing in the world and NO ONE CAN KNOW. He also never talked about money/spending priorities w/ my mom and liked to constantly switch things up on her so money/budgets have been a toxic toxic thing for me.

Ugh this does not sound healthy.

PARENTS NEED TO TEACH THEIR CHILDREN THESE SKILLS, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I had zero money knowledge when I moved out of my house and FIVE STATES AWAY.  Zero.  Learning the hard way is terrifying and NOT FUN, hence my gun-shyness with my budget now.

• Like 1

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

I had zero money knowledge when I moved out of my house and FIVE STATES AWAY.  Zero.  Learning the hard way is terrifying and NOT FUN, hence my gun-shyness with my budget now.

It is near the top of my list of "important life skills to impart upon my potential offspring."  It's so crucial and I don't understand how people just skip talking about it with their children!!!!!!!!!!  I feel very passionately about this if you can't tell.

Good on you for working it out on your own, but it would have been better if you hadn't had to......

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Ohhhhh... looking back on it there was not much healthy about my family situation. Both my parents grew up in families with ISSUES. Thinings could have been worse then they were and I've mostly delt with my parental related issues... mostly... Although you really don't want to hear about the fiascio that was paying for my last year of college. The epic lack of communication combined with depression lead to epic epic epic money related badness that I'm STILL trying to dig out from under.

I sympathize and hated money for a long time because of it.

It is near the top of my list of "important life skills to impart upon my potential offspring."  It's so crucial and I don't understand how people just skip talking about it with their children!!!!!!!!!!  I feel very passionately about this if you can't tell.

Good on you for working it out on your own, but it would have been better if you hadn't had to......

I agree with you that this is a core life skill that should be taught and that society/parents fail us all by not teaching healthy ways of handling money and instead teach kids that DEBT IS BEST THING!!!! and CREDIT CARDS SLOVE ALL!!

• Like 2

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Ohhhhh... looking back on it there was not much healthy about my family situation. Both my parents grew up in families with ISSUES. Thinings could have been worse then they were and I've mostly delt with my parental related issues... mostly... Although you really don't want to hear about the fiascio that was paying for my last year of college. The epic lack of communication combined with depression lead to epic epic epic money related badness that I'm STILL trying to dig out from under.

I sympathize and hated money for a long time because of it.

I agree with you that this is a core life skill that should be taught and that society/parents fail us all by not teaching healthy ways of handling money and instead teach kids that DEBT IS BEST THING!!!! and CREDIT CARDS SLOVE ALL!!

I agree wholeheartedly about the credit thing.  Because I'm older I guess I had the benefit (?) of personal credit being harder to get.  We had to work with the cash we had, and that really clarified life, you know?  If you didn't have the money for something, there wasn't the option of just throwing it on your card and worrying about it later. 

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

I agree wholeheartedly about the credit thing.  Because I'm older I guess I had the benefit (?) of personal credit being harder to get.  We had to work with the cash we had, and that really clarified life, you know?  If you didn't have the money for something, there wasn't the option of just throwing it on your card and worrying about it later. 

On the flip side, if you are disciplined, you can use credit cards to your advantage. I have had a cash back credit card for almost 10 years now. I funnel as many expenses as possible onto it. Groceries, gas, cell phone, EVERYTHING. I also use it for reimbursable business expenses. I have not paid one single cent of credit card interest, but I estimate I have gotten back ~$7,000+ in cash back...

• Like 3

It's a benefit as long as you passed those life lessons on to your kids and made sure they actuall knew how to put them into practice. My dad is 67 so he came from a similar situation. The problem was that a lot of things skewed his opinions about money, how to handle it and communication in general. And as with anything, it's pretty hard to learn how to do something if you're not taught how and given a chance to practice it.

On the flip side, if you are disciplined, you can use credit cards to your advantage. I have had a cash back credit card for almost 10 years now. I funnel as many expenses as possible onto it. Groceries, gas, cell phone, EVERYTHING. I also use it for reimbursable business expenses. I have not paid one single cent of credit card interest, but I estimate I have gotten back ~$7,000+ in cash back...

Ahhh... but the catch 22 is that if you aren't taught how to be disciplined or how to manage your money or how to priortize expenses etc. then you end up having to learn through trial and error. In my case the discipline wasn't an issue... it was the other two pieces.

Hopefully, one day my relationship with money will be less fraught with angst and filled with less parental related land mines. At least I keep making progress in the healthy direction.

• Like 2

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Whooohooo for progress on that and all the freedom coming along with it :)

And whoohooo on knot-free calves to come (I so feel you on those) and on the HIIT progress and all the skills, and strength you gained  :triumphant:

Keep going

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Whooohooo for progress on that and all the freedom coming along with it :)

And whoohooo on knot-free calves to come (I so feel you on those) and on the HIIT progress and all the skills, and strength you gained  :triumphant:

Keep going

Thanks Lucky!! Progress, freedom and all the other gains make this whole process worth it.

Week 1, Day 5 - Wrap Up

Woke up feeling much more rested today, had a positive morning and got out of the house on time. Work went well even though I didn't want to be there and kept checking the forums. I made up for my distraction by regulating my focus which worked out pretty well. Just got home from the gym and a very productive lifting session.

• Squat - 3x8x100 
  • Deadlift - 1x8x95, 2x8x135
  • Row - 3x8x85
  • Bench - 1x8x75, 2x6x75
  • OHP - 1x8x50, 2x7x50

My trainer thinks I should start upping my squats and possibly deadlifts by 10 for a few sessions because I keep hitting max reps. The squats are still pretty easy. The deadlifts are still pretty easy to but I need to change how I reset for each rep. I'm thinking that I will drop the increases on my upper body lifts down to 2.5 because those are getting hard. At least I upped my OHP reps by 2, maybe next time I'll finally hit 8 on all my sets.  I'm also going to have much fun upper body DOMS, the wonders of lifting.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 10:05, caught the 7:45 bus
  • Live life in the moment - Meditated for 5 minutes before getting out of bed
  • Feel the burn - Not today
  • Expand the mind - Not today

Small Wins

• Lots of interesting convo on the forums
  • Cleaned up/simplified how a report updates
  • Almost hit required reps on OHP
  • Put tiger balm on the muscles that are already getting sore
  • Like 3

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

:D Lifting looking very nice!

Money is so fraught. I regularly fantasize about Star Trek-type money-less economies. :P The roughness of the past week was largely due to the fact that the summer program I was accepted to isn't covered by financial aid...which I only discovered this past Wednesday, after most of the deadlines for scholarships I could've applied for have passed. I may have found a way to have my department pay most of the shortfall, but it's been so incredibly stressful to consider passing up a really great opportunity to advance my education and skills because of...money. UGH! Money's so important and so not the point, right?

• Like 1

My body tells me no, but I want more! I. Want. More!

Current Challenge
Pavel Sneaks Back In

Level 2

Half Orc

Assassin

Thanks Lucky!! Progress, freedom and all the other gains make this whole process worth it.

Week 1, Day 5 - Wrap Up

Woke up feeling much more rested today, had a positive morning and got out of the house on time. Work went well even though I didn't want to be there and kept checking the forums. I made up for my distraction by regulating my focus which worked out pretty well. Just got home from the gym and a very productive lifting session.

• Squat - 3x8x100 
  • Deadlift - 1x8x95, 2x8x135
  • Row - 3x8x85
  • Bench - 1x8x75, 2x6x75
  • OHP - 1x8x50, 2x7x50

My trainer thinks I should start upping my squats and possibly deadlifts by 10 for a few sessions because I keep hitting max reps. The squats are still pretty easy. The deadlifts are still pretty easy to but I need to change how I reset for each rep. I'm thinking that I will drop the increases on my upper body lifts down to 2.5 because those are getting hard. At least I upped my OHP reps by 2, maybe next time I'll finally hit 8 on all my sets.  I'm also going to have much fun upper body DOMS, the wonders of lifting.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 10:05, caught the 7:45 bus

Small Wins

• Lots of interesting convo on the forums
  • Cleaned up/simplified how a report updates
  • Almost hit required reps on OHP
  • Put tiger balm on the muscles that are already getting sore

I really like reading your updates.  Huzzah on getting good sleeps!  That's very very good.  

• Like 1

:D Lifting looking very nice!

Money is so fraught. I regularly fantasize about Star Trek-type money-less economies. :tongue: The roughness of the past week was largely due to the fact that the summer program I was accepted to isn't covered by financial aid...which I only discovered this past Wednesday, after most of the deadlines for scholarships I could've applied for have passed. I may have found a way to have my department pay most of the shortfall, but it's been so incredibly stressful to consider passing up a really great opportunity to advance my education and skills because of...money. UGH! Money's so important and so not the point, right?

Thanks Pavel!! I really hope that you can get stuff for Middlebury all sorted!! It would be such an amazing opportunity for you. If I could, I'd totally send you some money to help pay for it :grief:.  LMK if there's anything I can do to help.

I really like reading your updates.  Huzzah on getting good sleeps!  That's very very good.  

Thanks Granny! Getting good sleep makes life a bunch better!!

Week 1, Day 6 - Wrap Up

It was a relatively lazy Saturday for me. I got to sleep around 10 even though my challenge only calls for it on work nights and got nearly 10 hours of sleep. I think my lifting Friday took it out of me or something. Ended up following my normal morning routine and went down to the coffee shop for breakfast. I spent a few hours there reading and did some programming work as well. I got back around noon and did some ambassadoring and 30 minutes of yoga. I also decided to be super productive so I did laundry and cleaned the kitchen while watching LotR extended cut.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 10:07, No need for bus
  • Expand the mind - 60 minutes

Small Wins

• 30 minutes of yoga
  • Cleaned up the kitchen
  • Washed a load of laundry and got it put away
  • Lots of ambassadoring
  • Like 3

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Thanks Pavel!! I really hope that you can get stuff for Middlebury all sorted!! It would be such an amazing opportunity for you. If I could, I'd totally send you some money to help pay for it :grief:.  LMK if there's anything I can do to help.

Thanks Granny! Getting good sleep makes life a bunch better!!

Week 1, Day 6 - Wrap Up

It was a relatively lazy Saturday for me. I got to sleep around 10 even though my challenge only calls for it on work nights and got nearly 10 hours of sleep. I think my lifting Friday took it out of me or something. Ended up following my normal morning routine and went down to the coffee shop for breakfast. I spent a few hours there reading and did some programming work as well. I got back around noon and did some ambassadoring and 30 minutes of yoga. I also decided to be super productive so I did laundry and cleaned the kitchen while watching LotR extended cut.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 10:07, No need for bus
  • Expand the mind - 60 minutes

Small Wins

• 30 minutes of yoga
  • Cleaned up the kitchen
  • Washed a load of laundry and got it put away
  • Lots of ambassadoring

Girl, look at you go!!!  What a great first week you've had.  I see lots of motivation, lots of positive movement on a number of levels.  You're doing so great!  keep up the momentum!  And applause for the dishes and laundry!

• Like 1

Girl, look at you go!!!  What a great first week you've had.  I see lots of motivation, lots of positive movement on a number of levels.  You're doing so great!  keep up the momentum!  And applause for the dishes and laundry!

LOL!! I agree, I'm doing pretty well this week. Getting to bed and out of the house in the mornings will definitely be my biggest challenge. Thanks for all the cheering!!

• Like 1

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Week 1, Day 7 - Wrap Up

Another lazy day for me. I again went sleep around 10 and got a fair amount of sleep. Had breakfast, started food for the week and did 30 minutes of yoga. I spent the rest of the day puttering around watching LotR Two Towers extended cut and rounded out the day with an hour of yoga.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 10:03, No need for bus

Small Wins

• 90 minutes of yoga
  • Made some food for lunches this week
  • Did some ambassadoring

Week 1 - Wrap Up

I think week 1 was a solid start to this challenge. I'll need to work a bit harder this week at making the bus which probably means packing my bag before I go to bed. I also need to make a bit more effort to work on my life quest.

• No rest for the wicked - B for the week
    • Sleep - 100%
    • Bus - 60 %  
  • Live life in the moment - 100%
  • Feel the burn - 100%
  • Expand the mind - 80%
  • Like 6

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Week 2, Day 8 - Wrap Up

So I had an odd night, I feel alseepish around 9:40 and only slept for 30-45 minutes. Finally got back to sleep around 1 and woke up for the day at 5:30. I actually work up rested and feeling good, so I'm going to count it as a win. I actually felt good enough that I did some yoga before getting ready. I packed most of my stuff the night before so I was able to get out of the house on time even though I misjudged my timing a bit.

My session at the gym ended up not going as planned but was really helpful. I keep thinking that my deadlift form is off so I asked the staff memeber of duty for some help. He's done a bunch of coaching for powerlifting and was happy watched my lifts. We then talked a bit about where my mechanics were screwed up. It seems that my calves and/or hamstrings are still causing issues from a flexibility standpoint but I was able to get to a better form with some tweaks. I'm going to have to deload some so that I can do more work on my form which is fine with me.  He also spotted my squats and gave me some small tweaks. He had increase the weight on each set so I did 95, 110, 120 and 130. He thinks that I should push my squats harder than I have been which I think is reasonable. I've been trying to balance pushing myself with being cautious and have probably been too cautious wrt squats. It was a satisfying session even if I didn't get as much done as I would have liked because I'd rather make things better now than later.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 9:39 and 1:06, Bus at 7:45
  • Expand the mind - 30 minutes tonight

Small Wins

• 15 minutes of yoga before work
  • Talked to staff member @ gym with powerlifting background to address issues
  • Like 1

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

I'm such a freak I absolutely love budgeting.  I actually am in charge of the finances for me and my boyfriend I like doing it so much (and he can't stand it/is terrible at it).  Sometimes it can be really stressful to think about, but I always feel better when I'm done.  I also enjoy doing it because I generally am saving for something fun and enjoy seeing how far along I am. I don't use Mint or anything like that either... just Excel.  Like I said... I'm a freak.  haha

Great job last week!  Those are some solid numbers right there. Also that's great you asked someone from the gym staff for help! I'm glad you got your form tweaked.  Hopefully you'll be upping your numbers epically soon :)

• Like 1

I'm such a freak I absolutely love budgeting.  I actually am in charge of the finances for me and my boyfriend I like doing it so much (and he can't stand it/is terrible at it).  Sometimes it can be really stressful to think about, but I always feel better when I'm done.  I also enjoy doing it because I generally am saving for something fun and enjoy seeing how far along I am. I don't use Mint or anything like that either... just Excel.  Like I said... I'm a freak.  haha

Great job last week!  Those are some solid numbers right there. Also that's great you asked someone from the gym staff for help! I'm glad you got your form tweaked.  Hopefully you'll be upping your numbers epically soon :)

Good for you for enjoying taking care of your money!! It def can be a stressful thing and I'm in the same boat that I feel better when it's done. I'm working on the whole enjoying delayed gratification thing and am SLOWLY getting better at it. It's a hard thing to learn when you weren't born with it.

I'm pretty pleased with last week and so far I'm doing better this week because I made the bus again this morning :D. Its funny because when I was leaving the gym yesterday another lifter asked me how I felt because he saw me working with someone and doesn't ever want to ask for help. I told him that the feedback I got was really useful and will help in the long run even if I have to deload my deadlift. I'd rather deload and fix the issues now rather than break myself and hey, I'm paying for access to the gym because it is staffed with people who can help me!

• Like 2

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

That's awesome that you talked to someone and got some pointers.  I think that's one of the things I'm most nervous about when I start lifting - my form!  I'll have to go Berserker Mode and gather up my 20 seconds of courage to ask for help....!!

»  kom starkru

That's really good of the coach to give you all that help, always good to see a gym employing some who knows what their doing and wants to help.

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

That's awesome that you talked to someone and got some pointers.  I think that's one of the things I'm most nervous about when I start lifting - my form!  I'll have to go Berserker Mode and gather up my 20 seconds of courage to ask for help....!!

Yeah I'm hoping that it will help. I might take some vids when I go to the gym on Friday as well. It's worth engaging Beast mode for in the long run :love_heart:.

That's really good of the coach to give you all that help, always good to see a gym employing some who knows what their doing and wants to help.

It is very nice and why I picked the gym. :D :D

Week 2, Day 9 - Wrap Up

I don't feel like I have a ton to say about my day. I woke up late and slowly because I was tired from my efforts at the gym on Monday. The good news was that I still caught the bus. I *think* that I might be making progress on the bus habit which is awesome. I didn't do much besides work because my back was sore today so I put some tiger balm on it and decided that rest was a smart idea. I also was smart and asked my boss about reqs for getting a standing desk. She gave me the name of her contact for dealing with that type of thing so I'll email him tomorrow. My desk will be moving sometime soon and it would be nice to have a standing desk again if I can get one.

I'm also debating what to do for my birthday since I turn 32 on March 17. I'm thinking that I might drive up to Sault Ste. Marie for a weekend because it's only a 7ish hour drive. The only time I've gone to Canada was when I was in high school and that was to Toronto so it could be a fun trip.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 10:10, Bus at 7:15
  • Expand the mind - Not today

Small Wins

• Got info re official "first" day at work (LOL)
  • Made some progress figuring out how to make something work
  • Was smarted and took a total rest day
  • Have contact to ask about getting standing desk
  • Like 3

Assassin

#3, #2, #1

Week 2, Day 10 - Wrap Up

Today was a good day. Last night I got to bed on time for the 3rd time this week! This morning I woke up around 5:15, did my meditation and morning routine then did some yoga while my breakfast cooked. It was a very pleasant morning and I got out the door on time.  

I went to the gym before lunch to lift and surprised myself with my row and OHP. I also talked with E (the person I normally work with) and we're going to video my deadlifts on Friday. After contemplation about my session on Monday, I've determined there maybe some useful nuggets of information in what was provided but that there are also ISSUES so we are going to see about sorting it out. Depending on how things go, I'll switch to StrongLifts either next week or the week after. It will be interesting to see how much higher the weights go while trying not to curse my body for building strength/putting on muscle so easily.

• Row - 3x8x90
  • Bench 1x8x75, 1x7x75, 1x5x75
  • OHP 3x8x50
  • Biceps Curl 3x8x40

This afternoon I registered for the Insane Inflatables race in Denver so now I MUST go see starsapart and everyone there in June!! This is a terrible chore and I think I'll manage it just fine :love_heart:. I'm excited to go and have fun!! After work I did a 60 min yoga session rather than cardio/HIIT since my back is still sore. I decided I'll push those sessions to Thurs/Sat for this week.

• No rest for the wicked - Fell asleep at 10:07, Bus at 7:15
  • Expand the mind - Not today

Small Wins

• Leveled up my OHP, next time 52.5 lbs
  • Registered for Insane Inflatables 5k in Denver
  • Submitted I-9 for new job
  • Added another 4 miles of walking for assassin mini
  • Like 3

Assassin

#3, #2, #1