Diglett is human again.

Diglett

Overall Objective:

Short version: Survive engineering PhD with health and sanity intact.

Previous Challenge Recap:

Last challenge, I decided that I wanted to be less of a zombie, which involved sleeping at night and working during the day on a somewhat regular and human schedule. I would say this was pretty successful. (Tangentially, if I was furniture, I'd be a coat tree or a wheel-y office chair.)

This is basically the same challenge as last time, but I'm actually going to keep score this time. Hooray. Attribute points are still too much effort though, so I'll just have a challenge GPA?

Also, hi assassins! :D

Main Quest: Sleep

1. Sleep from 11pm to 7am. Sleep is great. Do I even need to explain this one?

Except: Game week. I'm in charge of strategy for an online game I play. It's a prior commitment, there are 19 other people involved, and I'm retiring at the end of my current term. I'll probably just poof off of NF for a week and then jump right back in afterwards.

Grading: A, 90% of days 11 to 7. B, 90% of days 11 to 7 or 12 to 8. C, less than 90%.

2. Work between 8 am and 6 pm. Regular work times contribute greatly to "sane human being" status. (Homework for my one class outside of that time is allowed.)

Except: I'm coaching a high school team starting at the end of March, which takes up my 2:30 - 5:30 block of time on weekdays. After this starts, pick a standardized time for an extra 2 hours of work. This may be outside of the 8 - 6 window but it must be consistent.

Grading: A, 90% of the days. B, 80% of the days. C, 70% of the days.

3. You snooze you lose, trial version: For the first week, (I don't want to be stuck with this if I decide I hate it), no snoozing the alarm on weekdays.

Grading: A, All days. B, 4 days. C: 3 days.

Side Quest: Rock Climbing

4. Climb a 5.10 (sport climbing difficulty rating). I started taking climbing semi-seriously in December. Prior, I was just fooling around in the off season of my old sport. I went to the gym a few months ago with an old friend and she said I should be climbing 5.10 soon, and my response was "lol, yeah right, that'd be actually good at climbing." But I am actually so close to this, omg.

Grading: A, Sent a 5.10! Aw yess. B, Single fall or break. C, Multiple falls or breaks.

Notes to self: May edit, screen curfew? rewards? GIFs?!?

• Like 2

Level 3 Human Jedi Apprentice / Assassin

{ running, rock climbing, frisbee }

I suck at waking up. I really do.

There is this downright evil alarm app for android called "I can't wake up! free" where you can disable the snooze button, and you can set it up to make you solve all kinds of challenges before the alarm  stops. And then you can program a quick check after 5 mins. If you dont confirm that you are still awake, the alarm goes off again and you have to go through the challenges.

Challenges include math, shaking the phone, typing random letters, puzzles and even having to scan a specific QR code (that you can put as far from your bed as you want).

So... I recommend you check it out...

• Like 2

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Did I just read that you're going through an engineering PhD program??? Seriously, wow. I only have a bachelor's in engineering and that beat the crap out of me plenty, I can't imagine what the PhD program is like! What area of engineering are you studying?

Best of luck to you in your challenge and your degree! Serious props!

There is this downright evil alarm app for android called "I can't wake up! free" where you can disable the snooze button, and you can set it up to make you solve all kinds of challenges before the alarm  stops. And then you can program a quick check after 5 mins. If you dont confirm that you are still awake, the alarm goes off again and you have to go through the challenges.

Challenges include math, shaking the phone, typing random letters, puzzles and even having to scan a specific QR code (that you can put as far from your bed as you want).

.......... that really does sound pure evil. I kind of want to try it.

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Yeap - my dissertation year, I treated it as a job - 8 to 5 in my office.  Weekly report to my advisor with milestones and objectives.  I think that's the only reason I finished and didn't feel that it consumed my entire life.

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Sleeping is the absolute best. Stupidly enough, as a child I never appreciated it (who does) and now, doing my master's degree (hopefully going for phd after!) I don't understand how I could have been so silly. Sleep is great. Cannot get enough of it. Sleeeeeep. 

giphy.gif

If you're close to a 5.10 you should definitely push it and do it! Conversationally, I wonder what is your strength while climbing? The things you climb the highest grades on? For me it's definitely corners, I love the weird positions you get in and I just find them the most fun! (May have to do with the fact I am good at them) 

Those goals seem like they would do a lot toward keeping life under control and enjoyable.

Awesome that you are getting into climbing too! I don't personally think falling is deserving of a lower grade than a break, especially on top-rope (assuming you mean a rest on-the-rope-break and not just resting hanging onto the wall). As long as it's safe, I try to climb until I pop off. It's been surprising to discover I can make moves my mind doesn't believe will work.

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

This might lose me all of my nerd cred, but I don't have a smart phone! (Thank you for the suggestion though.) I have two ringtones, the default ring sound is a "it is actually important to get up on time today" alarm, and the phone's vibrate setting is "it's morning, fyi. get up if you want." I will be utilizing the first one this week!

Did I just read that you're going through an engineering PhD program??? Seriously, wow. I only have a bachelor's in engineering and that beat the crap out of me plenty, I can't imagine what the PhD program is like! What area of engineering are you studying?

Best of luck to you in your challenge and your degree! Serious props!

High five engineers! :D I'm in Civil. In engineering, a PhD is basically a consulting project for some client or municipality or science organization that doesn't already have a standardized solution. So you collect information on what kinds of similar things have been done, and you decide how to solve it. (And solve it, and write about it. While simultaneously learning to teach classes and taking a few more classes yourself.)

Yeap - my dissertation year, I treated it as a job - 8 to 5 in my office.  Weekly report to my advisor with milestones and objectives.  I think that's the only reason I finished and didn't feel that it consumed my entire life.

That's what I've seen people do successfully in my lab and is pretty much what I'm aiming for. And my supervisor has required that weekly report from day one. :)

• Like 1

Sleeping is the absolute best. Stupidly enough, as a child I never appreciated it (who does) and now, doing my master's degree (hopefully going for phd after!) I don't understand how I could have been so silly. Sleep is great. Cannot get enough of it. Sleeeeeep. 

If you're close to a 5.10 you should definitely push it and do it! Conversationally, I wonder what is your strength while climbing? The things you climb the highest grades on? For me it's definitely corners, I love the weird positions you get in and I just find them the most fun! (May have to do with the fact I am good at them) 

Doooo iiiit. Join the crazy. :tongue:

I like things that are fast and acrobatic with decent handholds, though I do well with anything that relies more on positioning and leverage than brute strength. No pullups here, yet!

The one 5.10 I'm working on at my gym is squishy and wedged in the corner and then leaves the corner and gets all spread out and crimpy and that's where I fall off.

Those goals seem like they would do a lot toward keeping life under control and enjoyable.

Awesome that you are getting into climbing too! I don't personally think falling is deserving of a lower grade than a break, especially on top-rope (assuming you mean a rest on-the-rope-break and not just resting hanging onto the wall). As long as it's safe, I try to climb until I pop off. It's been surprising to discover I can make moves my mind doesn't believe will work.

Yes, toproping for this goal. And point taken, I think I'll adjust the grading on this one. (Though it won't matter because I'm going to ace it. ;))

meh I was a poor cashless student once… and then I becace a poor cashless worker… so the smartphone is a recent development…

Here is what I used to do: set ALL of your ringtones to the same music: the one you use for incoming calls. and then set your alarms to use that same ringtone.

You are so programmed to respond to an incoming call with a certain sense of urgency, so if you make your wake up alarm sound like a call, your subconscious will take over and wake you… side effects include yelling "hello" repeatedly at your alarm until you realize it is not a call.

works best if you actually receive calls a lot.

• Like 1

meh I was a poor cashless student once… and then I becace a poor cashless worker… so the smartphone is a recent development…

Here is what I used to do: set ALL of your ringtones to the same music: the one you use for incoming calls. and then set your alarms to use that same ringtone.

You are so programmed to respond to an incoming call with a certain sense of urgency, so if you make your wake up alarm sound like a call, your subconscious will take over and wake you… side effects include yelling "hello" repeatedly at your alarm until you realize it is not a call.

works best if you actually receive calls a lot.

This line of suggestions is pure evil!!!

Me, I get up because the cat has trained me and has very destructive methods of dealing with a recalcitrant human.

funny-pictures-evil-cat-creates-nig.jpg

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

*shrugs* Waking up has been my arch nemesis for as long as I can remember... so while the record is still close to 50/50 % I've been around the block for some time now, and I know of ways to combat with it. Both digital and analogic.

But me? I can sleep through some heavy stuff... like a loud --and I mean loud-- beeping sound for more than 30 minutes, someone walking in to drill holes on the wall right next to my bed without it even disturbing my sleep a little (real story guys), or through ground shaking events (really, I've slept through earthquakes before), so I need to find new ways of tricking my body to wake up in time constantly, lest my body gets used to, adapts to and starts ignoring the new alarm clock method(s).

Back later to make conversation :) , but for now an update!

Main Quest:

1. Sleep

M: 11:15 - 7:00
    T: 12:00 - 7:00
    W: 1:00 - 8:30 (idek what happened here o.O )

2. Work
    M: Pass
    T: Pass
    W: (in progress)

3. Don't snooze the alarm!
    M: Pass
    T: Pass
    W: Fail

Side Quest:

4. Climbing

Got one! With much swinging around and falling off the wall. Current grade so far is a C- (minus because it was rated a 5.10- )

(Colors are route tape colors, not a measure of anything.)

Between challenges: Tuesday, Saturday (post skiing and therefore totally unproductive, oops. Despite them never being a limiting factor, you do in fact use your legs in climbing. Who knew?)
    Current challenge: Monday (5.8, 5.9, 5.9, V1), Tuesday (5.7, 5.10-, 5.9+)

• Like 1

Wednesday you just went to sleep too late so you were too tired to not snooze! :D 

Haha yes you definitely use your legs for climbing. The better you use them, the better a climber you become too :)

howareyoudoing

Some sort of Jedi .....

Congrats on the 5.10-! Keep us updated on your future attempts there...

Yeap.  I used to help my daughter train for rock climbing.  Former belay slave wants to know!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

I know it's past 11, but I just wanted to check back in and say, whoooo my team just won the game! (See the "exception" under 1.) OMG it's so exciting and I totally won't be able to sleep anyway, so it's ok that I'm posting. *makes up rules*

I'll be back to challenge things and such tomorrow. :)

Q: Why couldn't the bicycle stand up after a long ride?

Main Quest

1. Sleep

T, 26th : 11:00 - 7:15
    F, 6th : 11:15 - 7:00
    S, 7th : 10:45 - 6:30* had a thing to get to

Why I'm giving game week a free pass: Two years ago I moved cross-country knowing nobody in my new town. Being introverted, it took almost a year and a half for me to have new friends and a new set of activities. I really appreciated having some consistency between the old place and the new place, and this game has been mostly the same people for the whole time. Winning was great, but I still recognize that it's terrible for healthy sleep habits, and I'm still done in April. You can hold me to that.(I'll still keep in touch with everyone of course, but I won't be filling in strategy spreadsheets at 3 in the morning.)

Sorry I didn't announce that I was brb-ing to ensure you didn't think I disappeared!

2. Work

All week: Pass

Mostly because I was too tired by the time I got home to try to do the OMG MORE WORK I thought I maybe should be doing.

3. Don't snooze the alarm!

Th, 26th: Pass
    F, 27th: Pass

Grade: 4/5, B

I might resume this one next week.

Side Quest

4. Climbing

Sunday, 29th (5.8, 5.9, 5.10)
Saturday, 7th (V1, 5.8, 5.7 lead, 5.9, 5.10+, V2, V1, V0)

More than two months after declaring that I was getting new shoes, I finally have the new shoes! They are both stickier and the right shape for my foot (if a bit small until I break them in), which is wonderful. I am really happy with them!

A: It was two-tired.

*shrugs* Waking up has been my arch nemesis for as long as I can remember... so while the record is still close to 50/50 % I've been around the block for some time now, and I know of ways to combat with it. Both digital and analogic.

But me? I can sleep through some heavy stuff... like a loud --and I mean loud-- beeping sound for more than 30 minutes, someone walking in to drill holes on the wall right next to my bed without it even disturbing my sleep a little (real story guys), or through ground shaking events (really, I've slept through earthquakes before), so I need to find new ways of tricking my body to wake up in time constantly, lest my body gets used to, adapts to and starts ignoring the new alarm clock method(s).

I'm actually a light sleeper and wake up pretty easily. It's then convincing myself to get out of bed rather than saying "mmmm, bed" and falling back to sleep that I have a problem with. I generally do ok when I actually have something specific to get to (not just a normal work day, that's not exciting enough!). I'm hoping that "You told people you'd stop snoozing," will convince me to get up!

And I've decided that as much as I hate it, I think it's worthwhile and will probably continue with this one for the rest of the challenge.

Wednesday you just went to sleep too late so you were too tired to not snooze! :D

Haha yes you definitely use your legs for climbing. The better you use them, the better a climber you become too :)

Yep! Thanks for the advice!

Congrats on the 5.10-! Keep us updated on your future attempts there...

Yeap.  I used to help my daughter train for rock climbing.  Former belay slave wants to know!!!

I'm going to (obviously :P ) keep working towards it, but I think I can do it by the end of the challenge if I hit it on a good day. Currently, 5.8 is easy, most 5.9 are doable, and I'm still looking for a good 5.10 to project for the rest of the challenge.

I don't know if it's a function of splitting my energies between work and climbing, but some days I feel strong, and other days I feel meh. I can still climb, but tend towards easier climbs. I'll have to see if I can correlate this to anything in order to make it work to my advantage. (Sleep? Time of day for climbing?)

• Like 1

I don't know if it's a function of splitting my energies between work and climbing, but some days I feel strong, and other days I feel meh. I can still climb, but tend towards easier climbs. I'll have to see if I can correlate this to anything in order to make it work to my advantage. (Sleep? Time of day for climbing?)

I find this same thing. Generally, I can climb after work on weekdays. The combination of the day leading up to it and the timing of a meal both seem to effect (negatively) my climbing. When I get out on a weekend and try the same routes, after a great night's sleep, I feel I am unstoppable (comparatively). I approach the situation by training weeknights and then feeling like the weekends are my "performance days" to nail something I've been struggling with. Not sure if that's helpful...

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

I find this same thing. Generally, I can climb after work on weekdays. The combination of the day leading up to it and the timing of a meal both seem to effect (negatively) my climbing. When I get out on a weekend and try the same routes, after a great night's sleep, I feel I am unstoppable (comparatively). I approach the situation by training weeknights and then feeling like the weekends are my "performance days" to nail something I've been struggling with. Not sure if that's helpful...

Mhm. I know after work naps or a heavy dinner kill any evening workouts for me. Not getting enough sleep last night probably did me in today.