Mad Hatter bends over backwards

Mad Hatter

I can see why from a gymnastics perspective, there's no reason to work against your dominant side.  I only learned how to kick up into a handstand on my non-dominant side, because I felt totally uncomfortable kicking with my surgical leg.  But, now that Hatter is dealing with an injury, she might want to look into the opposite side kick up.  It's honestly not that hard, once you get used to the awkwardness.  I also think being able to bail on either side might be useful, if you find that you're falling in a way where the opposite side bail just makes more sense.  

I'm especially bad with one-sidedness, since every asymmetric yoga hand balance has a good side and an "I can barely lift off of the ground" side.  Since I enjoy feeling accomplished rather than lame, I tend to do my good side first, and then only try my bad side after I've already fried my forearms and wrists, which in turn makes my lame side even more lame relative to my good side.  And for both climbing and parkour, sometimes the obstacles or holds dictate which side you need to use, so it's good to be proficient with both sides.  It should all be an interesting experiment.  

Interesting views, I never considered training one side only and not bothering about the weaker side. Now I see, there is a point to that, too, interesting.

But with pole you don't get around because many of the later moves will require both sides being strong, so you can't just use your good side only. So we train both from the start and I am really glad about that.

Mad Hatter, I love all the cheer in addition to the awesome skills in your thread!! And how you keep your joy running, despite injuries and just expand the fun there is so long. Hats off to the Mad Hatter

hats-off1.jpg

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

It all depends on context I guess. For handstands I'm not too fussed about being able to kick up on my bad side, except that I'm a bit embarrassed about it. :P After all the kick-up isn't the point of the handstand and there are much prettier entries out there (for one of these days...) The bail bugs me more because right now it's the ONLY way I can bail and I end up doing these really awkward manoeuvres to get into it. I also do it reflexively. Sometimes I can feel myself starting to bail preemptively and then have to bring myself back to the midline. Which is kind of hard and kind of annoying. Talk about making life difficult for myself! (Just to clarify we're probably only talking about a shift of a centimer or two, though it feels like a lot more).   

For pole and parkour it makes a lot more sense to train both sides. In parkour you won't always get the option to vault only on your left. And in pole you might have to go through a pose on your non-dominant side to get to another pose on your dominant side. But I'd still it's not necessary to train all tricks on both sides. The basic stuff sure, and the key transitions, but I agree with Raptron that there's little point in training the hard tricks on one side. Better to spend the time on something else. There's also a difference between doing tricks on both sides and training strength and mobility on both sides. Tricks are a lot more complex and can be very difficult to learn on the wrong side (which is not necessarily the dominant side) but it's never a bad thing to try to balance strength and mobility as much as possible for the sake of injury prevention.

• Like 2

There's also a difference between doing tricks on both sides and training strength and mobility on both sides. Tricks are a lot more complex and can be very difficult to learn on the wrong side (which is not necessarily the dominant side) but it's never a bad thing to try to balance strength and mobility as much as possible for the sake of injury prevention.

This clarifies a lot for me here, thanks and it is really such an interesting point. I am fascinated with it now and seriously had just never thought of it before. Aaaah freedom :)

Do you also have the expression that emergencies bring out new creativity and good inventions? Maybe you will find a whole new bail variation by experimenting with these centimeters, maybe they will give you a nuance of skill that is super helpful on something else... well, I guess you will benefit in some way, my point is there might be more than one benefit and that might be worth all the awkward attempts right now?

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Mad Hatter, I love all the cheer in addition to the awesome skills in your thread!! And how you keep your joy running, despite injuries and just expand the fun there is so long. Hats off to the Mad Hatter

Aww that's so sweet, and now I don't know what to say. I was going to rant about being ill and not being able to do anything, but that's not very joyful. :P  

I have however moved house so that deserves a woot! Now that's over and done with and I have somewhere to live for the next... 3 months. :D

Another mixed woot is that tomorrow I'm going on holiday! Holiday is always nice, buuut I'm going to be locked in with B and his family in a cabin really, really, really far up North. For almost a week. With no Internet. :o If I get eaten by a zombie reindeer nobody will ever know! And they are going to make me try cross-country skiing, which apparently is like running, but on skis.  :unsure:  And normal skiing too, which I've done once about 5 years ago and another time about 10 years ago. Meep! Oh I don't know, I'm sure it will all be fun but I am oddly nervous about the whole thing. It's just all so much, the family thing and the being stuck in the middle of nowhere thing... And now my mum's jealous of B's family. It's quite cute actually. :P 

As for this challenge, I'm just going to call it quits. I'm still a bit ill and tired and need to muster my strength for the holiday. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to write an update and catch up, otherwise I'll see you next week. Unless I'll get eaten by polar bears.

• Like 2

YOU EAT THOSE POLAR BEARS RIGHT BACK!

You are going to have tons of fun. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Enjoy your arctic sliding! :) And you made me laugh maybe more than I should at the term "mixed woot"... the internet has given us a whole new extension to language to play with, and you're using it wisely :P

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Hope you are having a wonderful holiday! I haven't tried skiing in... oh like 25 years. And I live in freaking Colorado! tons of skiing here. Cross country might be more my 'thing' though, being as clutsy as I am. And I'm totally jealous of your reindeers up there ;)

I'm thinking about seriously dedicating my time to hand stands again next challenge. All this invertedness is making me want to see some progress !

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Quickie update before bed. :)

I survived both the loooong train ride, and cross-country skiing across the lake to the cabin. (I suck) I saw reindeer and possibly a wolf (!) and we've started working on a big ass snow dragon. :D

211a5458e9904ad3583ff9360c575578.jpg

Cross country skiing is on my list to try one time. Sounds like a fantastic time.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Quickie update before bed. :)

I survived both the loooong train ride, and cross-country skiing across the lake to the cabin. (I suck) I saw reindeer and possibly a wolf (!) and we've started working on a big ass snow dragon. :D

211a5458e9904ad3583ff9360c575578.jpg

Wow that is soooooo cool!!! Too cool for a fire dragon ;)

About those polar bears - good news! Sometimes, they just want a hug

Polar-Bear-Plays-With-a-Dog-In-The-Snow.

Keep enjoying the magical scenery and having such fun with your folks

• Like 1

That dragon-in-progress is pretty sweeeet!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

WOW more cabin updates please. that dragon is amazing!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I know you are cabining, but I just have to share some good news with you - I figured out I can do a headstand!! Oh my goodness, I'm so geeked right now. So now I am practicing headstands EVERY DAY and I'm also working on my wrist strength and working up to doing handstands. Girl, how do you not just do handstands everywhere!? All I want to do is is head balances right now! My abs aren't happy about that, either ;) They are so sore. My back is sore from working the core stuff, but it's all good. I'm still doing my gentle back bends on a yoga ball, and it is all just going so well. Thank you for encouraging the bendiness in me!

• Like 1

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

I know you are cabining, but I just have to share some good news with you - I figured out I can do a headstand!! Oh my goodness, I'm so geeked right now. So now I am practicing headstands EVERY DAY and I'm also working on my wrist strength and working up to doing handstands. Girl, how do you not just do handstands everywhere!? All I want to do is is head balances right now! My abs aren't happy about that, either ;) They are so sore. My back is sore from working the core stuff, but it's all good. I'm still doing my gentle back bends on a yoga ball, and it is all just going so well. Thank you for encouraging the bendiness in me!

Squeeee! :D

• Like 1

Challenge wrap up

Oh my goodness. This has been a weird challenge. I was going to say that this whole challenge sucked and I failed miserably, but when I read through my posts I just had a lot of things going on. Or rather, I did fail my challenge, but it doesn't mean the whole challenge was a waste. So I'm not going to grade the goals because that would give me big fat Fs but focus on things that happened to put it into perspective. Also I've sprinkled in travel updates to make the summary even more incoherent. ;)

Stuff that happened:

• I re-injured my hamstring in week 1, which put a huge damper on my main goal. I'm trying to fix it, but so far it hasn't responded very well to treatment and last visit I got a complete ban on any movement that can aggravate the injury. 

• Met B's family in week 2.

• Found a new flat in week 3 and moved in week 5. In a way I should be used to the process by now but it still causes a fair amount of stress to not know if I'll be able to find a flat in time or not.

• Week 4 was a social week with several work events

• In week 6 I got sick and pretty much gave up on the challenge...

• ...then I went adventuring in the snow in the very north of Sweden!

Things I learned:

• I really enjoyed the focus of the challenge and concentrating on just one thing. Unfortunately the goal didn't have a backup plan and when I injured my hamstring again I lost my mojo a bit.

• Just how important sleep and recovery is. Lack of sleep makes a huge impact both physically and mentally and I simply can't keep up with the activity load if I don't get enough quality sleep.

I still got some wins!

• Got a nice freestanding handstand PR

• I got out my climbing funk

• I got my pull-ups back, again. Well one of them.

• Got my right front splits and middle splits. And promptly lost them, but if I had them once I'll have them again.

• I went back to the studio for backbends class

And some habits-in-progress that I'd like to solidify:

• "Active loo breaks" at work
  • Walking, I felt really good when I walked more
  • More standing time at work
  • More time sitting on the floor
  • Sleeping on the floor

I tried lots of new things:

• Snooker - Not really my thing, but it was fun to try.
  • Snowboarding - Fun! And it was extra fun because B was a beginner with me instead of running off on skis. The first run was terrible and I fell over every 5 meters. After that I could get down the hill without too much damage and I thought I was doing well. Until it struck me that I was basically kitesurfing instead of snowboarding, so instead of turning by getting up on my toes I just changed direction of the board. Whoopsie. Once I realised I tried to learn the correct way, but it felt really, really weird. Funny thing this muscle memory. Unfortunately I only got a few attempts before the slopes closed, so I only just managed to get the hang of the movement.
  • Snowboarding after a snowmobile - Fun! Pretty similar to wake boarding, but since snow is a lot more slippery you can't dig in with the heels the same way as in water and I found it trickier to balance. Many wipe outs happened. I actually managed to hit myself on the back of my head with the board behind me. #BendyPeopleProblems #AlwaysWearAHelmet
  • Cross-country skiing - Hate it. I found it difficult to get into a flow, I mostly felt either like Bambi or like a robot depending on the snow. And it's cardio. 

And saw new things:

• Lots and lots and lots of snow
  • Reindeer
  • The ice hotel in Kiruna, it's pretty cool

And made a snow crocodile that's big enough to ride. It took three people to roll the biggest ball and I'd guesstimate that the whole thing weighs 300-400 kg. Yes we meant to build a snow dragon but because of time and weather we didn't finish it. So snow crocodile it is! :D

Phew. 

• Like 4

You had some pretty big wins despite the hamstring injury throwing the challenge off course somewhat! Hopefully that muscle will finish repairing itself soon and you can get back to the bendy stuff you intended.

You should collect a few more pull-ups - they come in useful for climbing. I'll trade you some of mine if you share some of your climbing technique :P

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

seconding the celebration of your wins. I think you had a lot of awesome things happening, maybe I am a little opinionated because I am so much in awe of things you do that are already normal to you.

But you had a shiny challenge with so much fun stuff. The climbing fun seems to be really great for you and I am glad you enjoyed the snowboarding so much.

Moving home is huge, too.

wishing you a lasting recovery now and will watch you have fun in the meantime :)