Mad Hatter bends over backwards

Mad Hatter

Duh but when you are in Paris you have to taste the delicious things it is part of the experience! Except I won't be able to as a poor student haha!

Yes I really want to rock the interview because it will be a great lab but also because Paris yay!

• Like 1

Good pre-challenge day! I was looking for nice movements to try out during the challenge and came across these flow movements by (utterly amazing) pole dancer Marlo Fisken and it's exactly what I was looking for. I got through a bit more than half of them, and I'm definitely going to add some of them to practice.

I really loved this one, but I probably look very silly doing it. I wanted to take video to check but my phone ran out of batteries so it will have to be next time. 

I had a huge derpy moment trying this next move, I just kept getting stuck! I tried to reverse engineer the movement and it kind of worked but it felt really awkward and difficult and I thought it just couldn't be right. I left it for a bit and when I returned to try it again I realised I had to look up in order to be able to swivel on my shoulder. Do'h!  

This last one was perhaps not as fun and flowy, but I should work at it since I really struggled with completing the sequence without breaks. Good practice for pretty lines too.

Then I went bouldering, but didn't have a very good session as my wrist is acting up again. I went bowling yesterday and my wrist got really cranky and now it feels a bit hot and inflamed. I played with a few easy problems that I already solved before, and then I attempted some strength moves with big grips that didn't put so much strain on the wrist, but even then I had to cut the session short. Instead I did some leg stretch/strength which felt gooood. 

• Like 9

That is true! Especially when I was only there for a weekend.

I really hope you get the interview! When is it?

The 10th of March, and I will be in Paris from the 9th to the 11th. :) 

Those videos of the flow movements are seriously cool, so pretty! I was watching it pretty damn mesmerized. 

Awesome! I am determined to work on my flexibility too. I mean, we are at a little bit different levels, but as soon as I can touch my toes I am pretty sure a whole new world of flexible opportunities will open up to me. Until then, I will be living vicariously through you on this Challenge. Hand balancing and Gymnast type stuff completely blows my mind, I love watching it! The strength and flexibility involved is just amazing. LOVE IT! Can't wait to see some videos!

• Like 1

I could use some help guys with structuring my fix my environment goal. I have some ideas but I don't know how to make it into a goal. Some thoughts:

• I've downloaded an app for both my computers that remind me to take breaks at regular intervals, so the goal is to pretty much not ignore the alerts. :P I'm better at taking breaks at work than at home, there I've been using the breaks to juggle or to just move about a bit and it's been working quite well. My juggling's improved already! At home I need to tweak the frequency and length of the breaks, but I'm thinking hanging could a good thing to do.
  • Don't know if I've told you but we've moved in to super shiny new offices. It's basically a whole block so it's pretty big so in my breaks I could use it to get some steps in. The corridors are really long and just begging to do cartwheels in, but that might be a tad inappropriate even for me. :P
  • However, the disabled loos are large enough to do handstands in. ;) My favourite thing to do has been standing wall splits, stretches shoulders, hamstrings, calves and hip flexors. Sometimes I've done push-ups. It's been good. 
  • I have an adjustable desk work and I'm usually standing up when I'm working. I should keep that up. At home I try to sit on the floor but I often forget and up lying on the sofa which is less good.
  • I joined the walking PvP, 150 km in six week. It's really not very much per day, but I'm happy to set the bar low considering that it's not very nice to be outside right now. 
  • I want to use my lunch breaks to move, especially on days when I bring lunch to work. Like going to the gym or for a walk.

Hmm I think that's it. There are some good things in here but feel free to suggest more! The bigger question is how can I structure it? Some kind of point system maybe? Halp!

• Like 1

Awesome! I am determined to work on my flexibility too. I mean, we are at a little bit different levels, but as soon as I can touch my toes I am pretty sure a whole new world of flexible opportunities will open up to me. Until then, I will be living vicariously through you on this Challenge. Hand balancing and Gymnast type stuff completely blows my mind, I love watching it! The strength and flexibility involved is just amazing. LOVE IT! Can't wait to see some videos!

Touching your toes is a great starting goal! 

I love watching it too! Now my videos won't be very impressive but as you say, we all start somewhere!

Why do you try to sit on the floor at home as opposed to your sofa?

Maybe you could get points for how many steps you get in a day, subtract points for sitting for too long at work or sitting on your sofa for too long..??

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

Challenge Thread || Walking PVP Thread

Level: 0 - Future Assassin || STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Walking 1,000 Miles in 2015 // 167.30 miles as of March 7, 2015

16.7%
16.7%

Body Fat Percentage // 44% as of January 1, 2015

44%
44%

Those flow videos are amazing! :o If you can do those, even if it is with only 10% of the grace, that's pretty darn amazing too! (I bet Lexphoenix would love them)

I'll give your environment goal some thought... maybe just logging in a little journal? 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Why do you try to sit on the floor at home as opposed to your sofa?

Maybe you could get points for how many steps you get in a day, subtract points for sitting for too long at work or sitting on your sofa for too long..??

Because sitting is evil. ;) 

Not really.

But being in the same position for long periods of time is evil, be it sitting or standing. And when you sit on the floor you naturally change position all the time, you might lie down for a bit, then sit in a straddle, then a squat, then something else. Then you add more movement every time you stand up. It's not much but there is a huge cumulative effect in how much movement you're getting per day. And that's really important for the body's mobility but also overall health. The body doesn't like to be stagnant. I could go on about this but if you're interested I can highly recommend Katy Bowman's work, it's really fascinating stuff on how our environment changes how me move and what consequences it has on our health.

But to be honest health has never really been my top priority. I've simply always been the weirdo that likes to sit on the floor. But now there's lots of science to back it up. :)

• Like 4

Thanks Hatter. That makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely check out her work!

I'm getting an adjustable work station installed at work in the next week or so and I'm SO excited about it! I'm on my computer so much of my work day that being able to stand for part of it will make a big difference.

• Like 1

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

Challenge Thread || Walking PVP Thread

Level: 0 - Future Assassin || STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Walking 1,000 Miles in 2015 // 167.30 miles as of March 7, 2015

16.7%
16.7%

Body Fat Percentage // 44% as of January 1, 2015

44%
44%

Those flow videos are amazing! :o If you can do those, even if it is with only 10% of the grace, that's pretty darn amazing too! (I bet Lexphoenix would love them)

I'll give your environment goal some thought... maybe just logging in a little journal? 

I'll take a video and see if can manage 10%. ;)

A log book would be a lot easier than a complicated point system. I guess it's more an awareness exercise more than anything else. Perhaps the challenge could be to simply try and sneak in a bit more movement every week.

• Like 1

Thanks Hatter. That makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely check out her work!

I'm getting an adjustable work station installed at work in the next week or so and I'm SO excited about it! I'm on my computer so much of my work day that being able to stand for part of it will make a big difference.

That's awesome! I love my desk.

• Like 1

Those videos really are amazing, I finally had time to sit down and watch them and now I want to do them all! 

You could turn the environment thing into a game. Set a timer to go off every 5/10/20 minutes and change your position. Maybe find a graceful and unusual way to get into a new position? That's the only thing my tired brain can come up with at this moment but I'll try and think of better things! 

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

Oooh..  I love the flow videos, and I'm going to have to steal that first one to work through tomorrow.  I doubt I'll even have a small fraction of the grace that she has when doing those moves, though.  These flows are actually very similar to the animal flow and prasara yoga stuff I've worked on in previous challenges, so if you like doing that type of thing, you may want to search youtube for either of those terms.  

And yes, post videos even if you look silly!  I'm going to try to be better about doing the same, rather than cherry picking for only the things that look cool.  

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Ooh that's really soon! Do you have time to see Nuala?

I know right? You should look up her pole work, she moves so beautifully!

Not sure I have time to see her. My boyfriend will come with me so we will do touristy things and visit the Louvre.. Which is fun obviously :D 

About the environment thing, you could also make sure you take at least one break a day where you actually go outside, even if it is just for a few minutes. Some fresh air is really good for you! :) 

Those videos really are amazing, I finally had time to sit down and watch them and now I want to do them all! 

You could turn the environment thing into a game. Set a timer to go off every 5/10/20 minutes and change your position. Maybe find a graceful and unusual way to get into a new position? That's the only thing my tired brain can come up with at this moment but I'll try and think of better things! 

That could be a fun thing to do, but probably not for this goal. I just want to add movement without complicating things too much. Too much for my brain to handle you know. :P I could do it for the new movement goal though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oooh..  I love the flow videos, and I'm going to have to steal that first one to work through tomorrow.  I doubt I'll even have a small fraction of the grace that she has when doing those moves, though.  These flows are actually very similar to the animal flow and prasara yoga stuff I've worked on in previous challenges, so if you like doing that type of thing, you may want to search youtube for either of those terms.  

And yes, post videos even if you look silly!  I'm going to try to be better about doing the same, rather than cherry picking for only the things that look cool.  

I've seen some of the animal and flows but never really played around with it. Will have to do some googling! Though I have to admit that what draw me to these videos is the prettiness of the moves, all pointed toes, not like yogis haha. :P

Ok, except lots of silly videos. Love the process right?

Not sure I have time to see her. My boyfriend will come with me so we will do touristy things and visit the Louvre.. Which is fun obviously :D

About the environment thing, you could also make sure you take at least one break a day where you actually go outside, even if it is just for a few minutes. Some fresh air is really good for you! :)

That's a shame. But when you get the internship you'll be able to hang out with her anyway. :)

Yes I really should spend a few minutes outside every day when it's light outside. Good call.

I'll take a video and see if can manage 10%. ;)

A log book would be a lot easier than a complicated point system. I guess it's more an awareness exercise more than anything else. Perhaps the challenge could be to simply try and sneak in a bit more movement every week.

Good! Right, love the process.

What helped me was using a diary to log, one of those with preprinted dates and such. So that way it would be painfully obvious if I failed to log for a while.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Wheee day 1 update!

I went to the gym today and did a teeny bit of handstand core work to get back as a light reintroduction and then I did lots of backbending. Oh my, my break must have been way too long because it was tough! It didn't help that towards the end my blood sugar plummeted so badly I didn't know what was going on anymore. I also struggled with random muscles cramps so a date with the foam roller is in order. I managed to take a few pics towards the end, I was a complete mess but at least now I have some starting photos. 

Cobra - as you can see I have pretty much zero hip extension which makes this rather pose difficult (and rather ugly). I'm still stiff from stretching yesterday and I didn't do much in terms of warm up for the hip flexors. Not trying to make excuses, it's just for reference. :)

med_gallery_19981_601_363969.jpeg

Bridge - Same problem. Really need to work on those hips.

med_gallery_19981_601_62360.jpeg

Camel - This was a struggle to get in to, but I just about managed. :)

med_gallery_19981_601_431985.jpeg

So yeah this is where I begin. 

• Like 10