Mad Hatter bends over backwards

Mad Hatter

Those splits are impressive!

If I tried, I'd put money on I can't go past 90 degrees... if I get to 90 degrees.

Thanks! And hey we can always improve wherever the starting point. :)

Day 5 update

I feel a bit sad and guilty after all your amazing comments since I broke my streak yesterday. :( My day just turned weird. First of all I had slept really badly the day before so I was super tired all day. I meant to go to the gym at lunch time but I decided to go and eat with my colleagues instead. Then I thought I'd do it after, but B and I decided to meet up for a coffee at 3 ish as a break from work. But who was I kidding, I wasn't going to go back to work afterwards. So we just went back to mine. Procrastination followed, then hunger, more procrastination and then I realised I hadn't eaten or drunk anything except for an espresso for 8 hours and that I was a mess. In the end we watched a movie for which I was asleep about 80%. Weird day. I wish I had done something but no point in dwelling on that now. Today I'll do better, promise!

Yes you should feel sad and guilty! You are the queen of awesome and you need to lead us! :D 

Nawww joking it's okay, life happens right? That's what you always say to me when I don't do perfect and get annoyed and want to hide from you all! :) 

zaWUE.gif

Which movie did you watch? Probably not a great one if you fell asleep? 

Make today a great one! 

• Like 3

Thanks darling, I needed that! I watched Guardians of the Galaxy, and I actually really liked the bits that I was awake for. :D It's so refreshing with a movie in that genre that doesn't take itself so bloody seriously. I half-watched/half slept through another say 50% on one of my flights so by now I'm sure I've seen about 75% :P.

• Like 3

Day 6

I didn't do anything too strenuous, some handstand core work and a few drills, then backbends. I didn't feel like I could get into a flow in any of the movements, but at least I did put in some work and I'm happy about that. And to be fair pretty much anything would suck after last session's success. 

Tomorrow: Climbing aaaand something, haven't decided. Probably a yoga video and some flow work. :)

• Like 3

Thanks darling, I needed that! I watched Guardians of the Galaxy, and I actually really liked the bits that I was awake for. :D It's so refreshing with a movie in that genre that doesn't take itself so bloody seriously. I half-watched/half slept through another say 50% on one of my flights so by now I'm sure I've seen about 75% :tongue:.

Lol :P You should make a compilation for yourself to watch of the scenes you've missed, then you can just steamroll through for the last time :P 

Tomorrow: Climbing aaaand something, haven't decided. Probably a yoga video and some flow work. :)

YEAHHH CLIMBING! Climb some tricky corners for me because I love those and I want to live through you (we're not going climbing this week because time and because life) 

I agree with Twilight.  Sometimes, things just work out where planned workouts just don't happen.  As long as you're on track most of the time, a missed workout here and there is no big deal.

I hope you have a great climbing session and get out of your climbing funk.  :)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Day 7

Sadly there was no climbing today. :( B was feeling crappy so we didn't go. In the evening I got into a bit of a funk for no apparent reason, and I really really didn't want to do anything. But I didn't want to miss another day even more so I ended up doing half an hour of yoga with some push-ups thrown in, some active flexibility work and pelvic stability exercises. I hated every minute of it. I tried doing some flow movements to cheer me up, but that failed too and since I didn't want to "spoil" the videos I gave up on that idea. Pretty crappy session but I did it and I'm counting that as a win. I'm a bit concerned that I pushed it a bit too far on my good day though. My right hamstring is still feeling uncomfortably tight. I usually get a bit of DOMS after stretching it but it feels stiffer than usual. I don't want to have another deep stretching session until it's fully recovered so I'm hoping it will go away soon...

Tomorrow: Not sure yet, something fun! :)

Lol :tongue: You should make a compilation for yourself to watch of the scenes you've missed, then you can just steamroll through for the last time :tongue:

LOL, great idea. :D

• Like 1

Hating every minute of it is probably your body telling you you really needed some rest! But you should be proud for giving it a go and actually finding out wether or not there was something in the tank :)

I think i stared at your splits photos for 5 minutes. They are great! (also love your hair and your butt is a lovely size!) 

What are you doing for that hamstring of yours? I've got the same problem.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Hating every minute of it is probably your body telling you you really needed some rest! But you should be proud for giving it a go and actually finding out wether or not there was something in the tank :)

I think i stared at your splits photos for 5 minutes. They are great! (also love your hair and your butt is a lovely size!) 

What are you doing for that hamstring of yours? I've got the same problem.

It didn't feel like I needed a rest day, but maybe I did. I am proud of myself for not bailing though. :) I'm really good at coming up with excusing and justifying why I don't have to do things to myself, so it feels good to break that pattern for once.

Haha thanks! :D (Though my butt and the rest of me would be much happier if it lost somewhere between 7 and 10 kg at this point  :unsure: )

So I strained my hamstring where it attaches right near my butt. I don't know where your injury so this might not be applicable for you, but here's my plan anyway. I've had a few different treatments but the one thing that was really effective in breaking up the scar tissue was use acupuncture and TENS at the same time. That got me from bad to 90% in two sessions. I can't remember why but I stopped the treatments and now I can still feel the remaining 10% every time I push it. I'll probably have to go back for another few treatments but I'm also trying to strengthen it. It's kind of hard to isolate that area but I recently came across one exercise that seems to really hit the spot. You stand on all four, lift up one leg behind you and pulse it up and down. It can be bend or straight (a bit harder). But the key is to tuck your pelvis while you do it. Only then is it possible to really isolate that area. To make it a bit harder still, bring your leg up as high as you can (you can do a small backbend here and the leg can be bent) widen your arms slightly and do really slow push-ups keeping the leg in place the entire time. Surprisingly difficult, at least for me. 

• Like 2

Week 1 summary

Goal #1: Streeeetch!

• I did something 6/7 days. I won't include the first Sunday in the count, but since I kind of started my challenge on Sunday I want to include it in the things I did. Which is 2x heavy leg stretch, 2x backbends, 3x active flexibility work (including 1 movement flow), 3x yoga, 2x handstand core work (and 1 or 2x climbing.) (Huh, when I look at it written out that is a fair amount, no wonder I was tired on Sunday). Technically I didn't quite hit my goal, but considering how much I did I think that's just fine. Even if I keep missing one day every week week I'll still be a very happy bunny. 
  • It feels like I'm back on track and taking the challenge seriously again - and it feels awesome! It really helps that I only have one goal to focus on and that everything else is fluff that indirectly works towards my main goal.
  • I had one major, very unexpected win, with one day where I got both my right and middle split, which is freakin' amazing. It's really encouraging now that I know it's really possible and exciting because I know this is just the beginning. Not just this challenge but in general.

Grade: Major win

Goal #2: Fix my environment

Good things:

• I have been mindful about my activity throughout the day and trying to find opportunities to move, like walking to the far bathroom and doing some movement in my pee breaks.
  • I'm standing up for most of the day at work. On average I've only been sitting for 2 hours every day including lunch breaks, but I found that actually makes my hips very tired. So I've started to kneel or sit cross legged in my chair some of the time.
  • I have been walking a lot more than usual considering the season with an average of 6.5 km per day. I have been using some of my lunch breaks to get a short walk in which feels nice. In general it feels really good to be walking more. 
  • I'm back to sitting on the floor more.

Things that could be better:

• I have days where I'm ignoring my break reminder app for long periods of time. I'm usually, but not always, good at work, but at home I should take more opportunities to move about or at least change position.
  • I'd like to hang more. I have a pull-up bar so that's easy enough. I also like doing random handstands but there's not enough room in my current flat right now. Maybe if I move some furniture around...

Grade: Win

Goal #3: Shinies!

• I only played with shinies the on Day 0, which is too little as this is my fun goal and fun is important.
  • I discovered some movement flows that I really like and I'm looking forward to more play this week!

Grade: Ok

Goal #4: Love the process! (WIS+2, CHA +3)

• I posted starting pics of both my backbends and splits
  • I'd like to take more video but it's not always easy with the setup. Hopefully I can get something up this week.
  • I posted here everyday (though not necessarily the same day)

Grade: Win

Overall I'm very happy with week 1 and ready for week 2! Let's do this!

• Like 8

:D

Excelleeent. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Great Week 1 Hatter! You should definitely be happy with it! You're gonna crush Week 2!

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

Challenge Thread || Walking PVP Thread

Level: 0 - Future Assassin || STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Walking 1,000 Miles in 2015 // 167.30 miles as of March 7, 2015

16.7%
16.7%

Body Fat Percentage // 44% as of January 1, 2015

44%
44%

You are doing amazing! I think that being more active overall is the key to a long healthy life. It can fix almost anything!

I need to try that yoga app, I appreciate the recommendation. I think I might try some forearm hand stands to see if that's better for my body than regular ones. I'm just not quite there yet. I think when I've lost some more weight and gained some more strength I'll be in a much better spot. I just have to get over my head not liking being upside down ;)

Thanks for the video link, that led me to Ido Portal and OMG I think I'm about to spend some hours lost on there.

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

You are doing amazing! I think that being more active overall is the key to a long healthy life. It can fix almost anything!

I need to try that yoga app, I appreciate the recommendation. I think I might try some forearm hand stands to see if that's better for my body than regular ones. I'm just not quite there yet. I think when I've lost some more weight and gained some more strength I'll be in a much better spot. I just have to get over my head not liking being upside down ;)

Thanks for the video link, that led me to Ido Portal and OMG I think I'm about to spend some hours lost on there.

I completely agree - more movement more better. :)

I've just started working on forearm stands again myself, they're quite fun! You can start with dolphin pose, it's a great prep pose before inverting fully. :)

I love Ido Portal's stuff, he has some interesting ideas about movement and the videos are just so inspiring.

Only the beginning, I like it :) Way to go!

:D

• Like 1

Day 8

Today I went to the gym for a few hours and just played! I had loads of fun messing around with handstands, different contortion skills and attempting circus tricks on the rings. Wonder what all the gym bros thought haha. I took video of both my handstand drills and of silly movement attempts and I'll put them up as soon as I put them together. :)

I really liked the combo of handstands and then going straight to bridge work. In my normal backbend routine I do lots of cobras, camels, bow poses and strengthening exercises which leaves me completely drained when it's time for bridges. Skipping the middle bit might leave me a bit less flexible but at least I have the energy to hold myself up and I can play more with the actual skills. Will have to do this more often.

Tomorrow: Climbing! Not sure what flexy thing yet since my hamstring is still cranky. I guess it will have to be some balance-y yoga or perhaps movement flow.

Edited for workout details since I strayed from my regular routine. This is what I can remember:

Handstands work (The usual stuff)

Conditioning

Wrist and shoulder warm up

Seated straddle leg lifts

Tummy tucks

Prone shoulder lifts

Candle sticks

Shoulder push-ups

Hollow body holds

Front support holds

Drills (some coming in video)

Weight shifts

L-stand to handstand

Arched straddle to hollow straddle

Tuck negative

Other balances (some coming in video)

Contortion handstands

S-bend handstand (more a stretch than a hold)

Split handstand

Elbow stand

Rings

Bird's nest (normal and one leg variation)

Splits (Tried to but it was tricky with the wobble)

Skin the cats (tucked, not quite full ROM)

Elbow hangs (not so much a trick, more pain conditioning for future tricks ;))

I definitely need to spend some time on the rings to get used to the instability. Things like the splits are so much easier on a bar. :) I think I also overcompensated by gripping extra hard because my forearms got fried really quickly.

Bridges (some coming in video)

That move in the first gif of the challenge

Deficit standing backbend (The floor was really far away... The way I set it up I couldn't bend my legs very far to compensate for lacking flexibility so nope.)

Run arounds

One leg elbow bridges

• Like 3

Awesome job with all your splits and with week 1! I may have to steal your weighted stretchy things because my hamstrings need some serioussss attention.

I also think your unscheduled rest days were totally appropriate, and you still rocked it last week anyway :)

You did super amazing last week! Go week 2!

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Ooh, what "circus" things have you been doing on the rings? The gym bros were probably too busy ogling themselves in the mirrors to notice that you were having more fun than them :P I'm glad your gym has enough floor space for the balancing and stretchy stuff... even the huge commercial gym I sometimes go gets pretty cosy when more than 3 people want to stretch on the mats...

Do all the things when you have DOMS to help the muscles recover: warmth, water, protein, small amount of sugar after workout, extra vitamin-rich food, anything that gets the blood flowing, sleep, light stretching/mobility, lying with legs up against the wall for a few minutes (for leg DOMS), etc.

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Awesome job with all your splits and with week 1! I may have to steal your weighted stretchy things because my hamstrings need some serioussss attention.

Thank you! Please steal away, I'm actually curious to see how well it would work for others. 

Ooh, what "circus" things have you been doing on the rings? The gym bros were probably too busy ogling themselves in the mirrors to notice that you were having more fun than them :tongue: I'm glad your gym has enough floor space for the balancing and stretchy stuff... even the huge commercial gym I sometimes go gets pretty cosy when more than 3 people want to stretch on the mats...

Do all the things when you have DOMS to help the muscles recover: warmth, water, protein, small amount of sugar after workout, extra vitamin-rich food, anything that gets the blood flowing, sleep, light stretching/mobility, lying with legs up against the wall for a few minutes (for leg DOMS), etc.

It's kind of a weird gym actually. It's one of those mostly unstaffed ones, it doesn't have loads of machines and there's a relatively big weightlifting area, but it's not quite a basement either. It also has a lot of crossfit stuff like rings and ropes but it's not a crossfit gym either... Just after work there was a lot of personal training going and then it was pretty tight for space to do weird things, but in the evening it was just the lifters left and me. It's a bit hidden so I don't think it gets the same amount of traffic as the bigger ones though.

Good points, even if not everything I do is DOMS inducing if I'm going to keep up this pace I'll need to be more careful about recovery. Cheers for the reminder!

• Like 2

I've edited the update with workout details since I did lots of things I don't usually do if you're curious. Dan, this is what I did on the rings:

Bird's nest (normal and one leg variation)

Splits (Tried to but it was tricky with the wobble)

Skin the cats (tucked, not quite full ROM)

Elbow hangs (not so much a trick, more pain conditioning for future tricks ;))

I definitely need to spend some time on the rings to get used to the instability. Things like the splits are so much easier on a bar. :) I think I also overcompensated by gripping extra hard because my forearms got fried really quickly.

• Like 1

Rings fries forearms sooooo fast when you don't use them for a while. All those little stabilizers. There's a reason male gymnasts have gorgeous forearms. ;)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1