Mad Hatter bends over backwards

Mad Hatter

Heeeeheeee.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Nice video, and nice gym :) I have no idea how it's possible to do that sliding backbend in reverse! In the gif in your original post I thought the second half were just a rewinded version of the first bit, but apparently not, and you're actually working on it! The splits must be super hard too as you have much less of your bodyweight being pulled into the right place by gravity (your legs, as opposed to all of you when you're doing normal splits).

Will be interesting to compare the video to how you're like in a few months' time when you're even more flexible and strong :)

I've edited the update with workout details since I did lots of things I don't usually do if you're curious. Dan, this is what I did on the rings:

Bird's nest (normal and one leg variation)

Splits (Tried to but it was tricky with the wobble)

Skin the cats (tucked, not quite full ROM)

Elbow hangs (not so much a trick, more pain conditioning for future tricks ;))

I definitely need to spend some time on the rings to get used to the instability. Things like the splits are so much easier on a bar. :) I think I also overcompensated by gripping extra hard because my forearms got fried really quickly.

Yep, the forearms'll get used to it - for example the first time I used rings (November 2014) it was difficult to hold the support position. The second time, it was quite easy. Have you tried holding support at all? (body vevrtical; hands by your hips, holding the rings)

The bird's nests positions look so hard to get into... I guess you go into a skin the cat, but at the end you leave your feet on the straps and adjust the rest of your body accordingly?

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Aw, I can't watch the video because Germany sucks. But the picture it shows looks pretty darn amazing for you saying there's not a single pretty point in there :P

Grrrreat week 1! It's so much fun following along your adventures.

What are you going to be doing over the last weekend in April? And if the answer isn't "hang out with you of course" I will be very disappointed! :D

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

I don't think its a Germany problem. cant watch it from Mexico either.

At least I can tell you are rocking this challenge's socks off. keep it up

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Aw, I can't watch the video because Germany sucks. But the picture it shows looks pretty darn amazing for you saying there's not a single pretty point in there :tongue:

Grrrreat week 1! It's so much fun following along your adventures.

What are you going to be doing over the last weekend in April? And if the answer isn't "hang out with you of course" I will be very disappointed! :D

Thanks! And of course the answer is hang out with you!!!!! :D :D

Nice video, and nice gym :) I have no idea how it's possible to do that sliding backbend in reverse! In the gif in your original post I thought the second half were just a rewinded version of the first bit, but apparently not, and you're actually working on it! The splits must be super hard too as you have much less of your bodyweight being pulled into the right place by gravity (your legs, as opposed to all of you when you're doing normal splits).

Will be interesting to compare the video to how you're like in a few months' time when you're even more flexible and strong :)

Yep, the forearms'll get used to it - for example the first time I used rings (November 2014) it was difficult to hold the support position. The second time, it was quite easy. Have you tried holding support at all? (body vevrtical; hands by your hips, holding the rings)

The bird's nests positions look so hard to get into... I guess you go into a skin the cat, but at the end you leave your feet on the straps and adjust the rest of your body accordingly?

Definitely possible. :) It looks kind of silly in the gif, but it can be done prettily too, like this girl. (Who incidentally she trains at my studio)

The splits are definitely harder to do when inverted. Especially when you have balance to contend with. Too much multi-tasking involved to focus on extending the legs. :tongue:

Nope haven't tried the support hold yet. I haven't done any real strength training for a while now, just climbing, but I'll give it a go next time.

It's not too difficult to get into the bird's nest position, it's actually one of the very first tricks taught on trapeze. You start from an upside down hang with the body straight, I think you called it bat hang (?), then place the feet on the straps and look forward and sink down with your chest into a backbend. It's a fun one. :)

Great video!  But, noooo..... the split handstand is not scary.  Or, it's the least scary thing out of all of the other things you were doing in the video.  I actually love that feeling when you're just barely grazing the wall with one toe, and then you can pop off into a full balance.  Maybe I'm weird or something, but I feel like I have much more balance and control in the split handstand than any other one.

And damn, you're flexible!  I'm especially amazed, because you're so tall.

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

That was a great video, Hatter.  Your control is amazing.  Well done

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Mannnn, contortion is intense. The return portions of those backbend slides looks so difficult. That video is awesomeee and of course, you'll only get more awesome, so it'll be nice to look back and see your progression. :)  And I'm with Nymeria. Split handstands over regular handstands anyday! They are so much easier. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Really loved watching that video :) It's really cool and inspiring to watch someone in the middle of learning this stuff. And yes, I thought you were incredibly impressive :) Though just watching made my back hurt a little, haha. And gee... if that girl trains at your studio no wonder you feel a little noobish sometimes... but girl, perspective yo.

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Goodness me, thanks so much for your lovely comments! It makes me really happy that I can post all sorts of things, good and bad and bloopers and get such an encouraging response. You rock.  :love_heart:  

Great video!  But, noooo..... the split handstand is not scary.  Or, it's the least scary thing out of all of the other things you were doing in the video.  I actually love that feeling when you're just barely grazing the wall with one toe, and then you can pop off into a full balance.  Maybe I'm weird or something, but I feel like I have much more balance and control in the split handstand than any other one.

I think there's two things that make them scary. One is that if I balance too far forward I won't be able to use my go to pirouette bail. It's completely irrational because the worst thing that can happen is that I'll end up in a bridge and I'm fine with that. I used to be able to a rather controlled handstand to bridge, but I lost that skill somewhere and now that's scary too. Same thing with handstand to forward roll (Though I've always struggled with that). The second thing is that I don't have as much rotational control as back and forth control and since I have long, heavy levers I find it difficult to resist any sideways wobble. It's what I find difficult in elbow stands as well, now when I think about it. If you have any good strengthening tips I'm all ears. :)   

They're also new, so it could just be that I need to get used to them.

Awesome job on week 1, and HOLY COW your video is awesome! Stretchy update for me, I am getting closer to being able to touch my toes on a regular basis. Keep up the great work and don't forget to stretch.

Woohoo for touching toes! 

Really loved watching that video :) It's really cool and inspiring to watch someone in the middle of learning this stuff. And yes, I thought you were incredibly impressive :) Though just watching made my back hurt a little, haha. And gee... if that girl trains at your studio no wonder you feel a little noobish sometimes... but girl, perspective yo.

Awww thank you! :redface: And yeah I'm surrounded by some really amazing, top level pole dancers at my studio. It's hugely inspiring to see them work (and they put in huge amounts of work) but it does make you feel like a clumsy hippo too.

• Like 2

Lots of updates coming up!

Day 9

Yeah, this was the weird day.

The day started off as normal, I went to work, spend more time playing with my movie than working, then I went to the climbing gym. Everything felt fine and dandy, but then at some point I just switched off and withdrew from the world. Literally like this:

giphy.gif

At one point I was staring at the wall and couldn't quite understand what was going on when someone asked me if I was going to climb the problem. My climbing was also really nervy and there were two problems that I bailed at right at the end, even though i was past the crux and I'm 95% sure I could've gotten the move.

I didn't feel like I was in the right headspace to do a strenuous stretch session so I decided to be nice to myself and foam roll, do my active flex exercises and some soothing passive stretching. It worked, until I had to try to leave my bubble and then I got into an even more funky mood and ended up completely antisocial for the rest of the evening. I didn't eat anything even though I was hungry, I just couldn't be bothered. Then I couldn't sleep because thoughts and space invasion.

Day 10

I was super tired because of lack of sleep and the day was a bit of a struggle. Especially since the funk wouldn't leave me. I expected the evening to myself to catch up with life but B was in town and proposed to come over. Part of me didn't want to but part wanted to make it up to him for the night before. I hadn't done my flexy work that day and I wanted to be alone for that so he very graciously left the flat for an hour. I did feel very rude but sometimes I'm just desperately in need of that me time. I intended to do a backbend session but I started with the movement flow videos to warm up and ended up having such a good time I didn't stop. The endorphins seemed to really help and now I feel more or less back to normal. I'm very happy that I didn't bail from the workout even in my wonky state and it turns out that sometimes getting the pulse up is exactly what's needed. :)

Day 11

Today I still felt the lack of sleep, but I feel much better! I went climbing, on my own this time, and I actually had a decent session. I focused on simply putting in the work rather than in the feelings that I suck. I hope I can stick to that mentality because I've been so incredibly negative towards climbing lately and I don't want to associate climbing with bad thoughts, it is fun after all! 

After the climbing I wanted to do a heavy leg stretch session but my hamstring wouldn't let me. Instead I worked on my hip flexors and did lots of backbends, where I focused on asymmetric poses. Which basically means I fell over a lot. ;)

• Like 3

Which basically means I fell over a lot. ;)

:)

Glad the flows helped you get out of the funk! 

Not sleeping because of too many stuff in your head is horrible. Hope you're sleeping like a baby now <3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Loved the video! Especially those contortion hand stands. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing :)

Sorry you had a kind of crappy day but I'm glad you hard hatted it through a work out and then did end up getting in a good climbing experience the next day :D

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

:)

Glad the flows helped you get out of the funk! 

Not sleeping because of too many stuff in your head is horrible. Hope you're sleeping like a baby now <3

Yep, like a baby, yesterday I slept for almost 10 hours! Feeling pretty awesome right now. 

May it never leave you!

Sorry. ;)

You just made my morning! :D 

Loved the video! Especially those contortion hand stands. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing :)

Sorry you had a kind of crappy day but I'm glad you hard hatted it through a work out and then did end up getting in a good climbing experience the next day :D

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Thanks so much Raxie. :D

• Like 2