Mad Hatter bends over backwards

Mad Hatter

just now catching up to all the split success (whooohooo) all the amazing bendiness and strength in your video (woah!!) and couldn't agree more with KB Girl on perspective. Inspiration is all good and well if you don't forget to enjoy the awesome starting point you're at already ;)

Thanks for all the grrrrrrreat tips and hints sparkling all over your thread (so stealing, too)

And the inspiration you are to us here  :love_heart:

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Oh wow, that's so sweet of you!  

On a different note - happy Friyay everyone! :D I'm excited, for once I'm going to have both the evening and tomorrow morning completely to myself. Tonight it's going to be me, laundry and wine and it's going to be blissfully boring and great.

oooh that sounds absolutely blissful to me right now :D My week has been crazy busy while not achieving much and I am only now getting on top of things again. Will think of you tonight and soak up the deliciously boring until I've created my own space for it (sometime soon)

ENJOY!!

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

I think there's two things that make them scary. One is that if I balance too far forward I won't be able to use my go to pirouette bail. It's completely irrational because the worst thing that can happen is that I'll end up in a bridge and I'm fine with that. I used to be able to a rather controlled handstand to bridge, but I lost that skill somewhere and now that's scary too. Same thing with handstand to forward roll (Though I've always struggled with that). The second thing is that I don't have as much rotational control as back and forth control and since I have long, heavy levers I find it difficult to resist any sideways wobble. It's what I find difficult in elbow stands as well, now when I think about it. If you have any good strengthening tips I'm all ears. :)   

My go-to bail is the forward roll, so I don't have any advice on the pirouette bail.  Generally, though, if I'm losing my balance and then pull my front leg downward and back leg more up, I can force myself to just end up standing.  Have you tried placing a cushion or huge pillow right behind your hands when you do the handstand?  At least then, you can practice the bailouts without having to worry about splatting down on your back.  

And I am kind of shocked that the bridge bail out wouldn't be extremely easy for you from a split handstand.  You're so flexible, and your leg would be so close to the ground already.

I'm glad you had a much better climbing day!  Yeah, climbing can be so frustrating, but it is a huge problem when the frustration reaches a point where it just isn't fun anymore.  Sometimes, I wish they would just remove all grades, so we wouldn't be burdened with preconceived notions of what we ought to be able to climb.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Happy Friday! Fridays with wine are the best kinds, really. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Oh, also re: handstand to bridge -- have you tried doing some drills to get out of the scary mental place it has for you like bridging onto a raised surface like a mat or against the wall or something?

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My go-to bail is the forward roll, so I don't have any advice on the pirouette bail.  Generally, though, if I'm losing my balance and then pull my front leg downward and back leg more up, I can force myself to just end up standing.  Have you tried placing a cushion or huge pillow right behind your hands when you do the handstand?  At least then, you can practice the bailouts without having to worry about splatting down on your back.  

And I am kind of shocked that the bridge bail out wouldn't be extremely easy for you from a split handstand.  You're so flexible, and your leg would be so close to the ground already.

I'm glad you had a much better climbing day!  Yeah, climbing can be so frustrating, but it is a huge problem when the frustration reaches a point where it just isn't fun anymore.  Sometimes, I wish they would just remove all grades, so we wouldn't be burdened with preconceived notions of what we ought to be able to climb.  

I know that my body can easily do it, the fear is completely irrational and entirely in my head... I could really do with a progressive bailing session again to try and get over it (again). Silly brain. :P

No grades climbing would be nice. But then I'd probably compare myself to the good guys instead and that would suck even more. ;)

Happy Friday! Fridays with wine are the best kinds, really. 

Indeed. :D

Oh, also re: handstand to bridge -- have you tried doing some drills to get out of the scary mental place it has for you like bridging onto a raised surface like a mat or against the wall or something?

Not recently, but that's what I need to do. Bring it back to baby steps. :)

oooh that sounds absolutely blissful to me right now :D My week has been crazy busy while not achieving much and I am only now getting on top of things again. Will think of you tonight and soak up the deliciously boring until I've created my own space for it (sometime soon)

ENJOY!!

It's the worst when your to-do list just piles up. Hope next week will be more quiet so you can sort yourself out. Don't want chores to interfere with fun. ;)

THANKS!

• Like 1

Today I still felt the lack of sleep, but I feel much better! I went climbing, on my own this time, and I actually had a decent session. I focused on simply putting in the work rather than in the feelings that I suck. I hope I can stick to that mentality because I've been so incredibly negative towards climbing lately and I don't want to associate climbing with bad thoughts, it is fun after all! 

^^^ That is exactly the feeling I'm struggling with when climbing. I haven't found a way yet to 100% focus on the work rather than my suckiness. It's so much easier when the gym is relatively unpopulated, specifically with the people who warm up on the routes that are my projects...

Glad to hear you got through your funk, though. I know that feel too. And that video is crazy amazing. I agree with whoever it was who said it along the way, I can't wait to see the amount of amazing after all your dedicated training!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Girl, that video! you are so amazing! you want me to work on handstands again SO BAD! I'm going to watch videos on forearm stands right now just because. I need to be able to do this!

Glad your funk was short lived. I hate that so much. I get so grumpy I can't even stand to be around myself. It's the worst. I hope you have an amazing friday, because coming from someone with a 3-year old, that sounds like freaking heaven!!

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

^^^ That is exactly the feeling I'm struggling with when climbing. I haven't found a way yet to 100% focus on the work rather than my suckiness. It's so much easier when the gym is relatively unpopulated, specifically with the people who warm up on the routes that are my projects...

Glad to hear you got through your funk, though. I know that feel too. And that video is crazy amazing. I agree with whoever it was who said it along the way, I can't wait to see the amount of amazing after all your dedicated training!

Well if you find any tricks please share. :) for me it seems completely arbitrary, sometimes I focus on the work, sometimes on the suck and sometimes I'm just messing around.

Thank you so much Obax!

Girl, that video! you are so amazing! you want me to work on handstands again SO BAD! I'm going to watch videos on forearm stands right now just because. I need to be able to do this!

Glad your funk was short lived. I hate that so much. I get so grumpy I can't even stand to be around myself. It's the worst. I hope you have an amazing friday, because coming from someone with a 3-year old, that sounds like freaking heaven!!

That's so exciting you want to work on handstands. It's really good fun!

And thanks!!

• Like 1

yay on short lived funk and kudos for you being in the flow with those flow videos!!

Tried to incorporate the squat, drop and roll flow you shared into my morning yoga today and while I can roll into a whole shoulder stand without hands no problem (if it doesn't have to be straight  :playful: ) I couldn't for the life of me get up from after the rolls! HOW do you do that?? Will probably try this every morning now, lol, or at least I should so that I can do it at some stage ;) Also the shoulder rolls are interesting in that one side goes very well and the other side is barely doable for me. We humans are so weird in our comfort patterns, aren't we, bet a cat could do both sides no worries.

Cheering you on for the handstand bail outs, so excited to hear how you'll do on that part and how cool it will be to regain that freedom!

Also, looking forward to more videos - it's a new week coming up, surely you will GIVE US MOAR VIDEOS, right?!!

• Like 1

I couldn't for the life of me get up from after the rolls! HOW do you do that??

Maybe your legs untuck too far, leaving your centre of mass impractically far behind your feet? If so, tense your core (sit-up style) as your feet prepare to land out of the forwards rocking motion, and you should be in a good position to stand right up :)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Maybe your legs untuck too far, leaving your centre of mass impractically far behind your feet? If so, tense your core (sit-up style) as your feet prepare to land out of the forwards rocking motion, and you should be in a good position to stand right up :)

will keep that in mind with next attempt, thank you :)

I did it!!! Turned out momentum was the trick plus the things you wrote. Yayyy this is fun

• Like 4

yay on short lived funk and kudos for you being in the flow with those flow videos!!

Tried to incorporate the squat, drop and roll flow you shared into my morning yoga today and while I can roll into a whole shoulder stand without hands no problem (if it doesn't have to be straight  :playful: ) I couldn't for the life of me get up from after the rolls! HOW do you do that?? Will probably try this every morning now, lol, or at least I should so that I can do it at some stage ;) Also the shoulder rolls are interesting in that one side goes very well and the other side is barely doable for me. We humans are so weird in our comfort patterns, aren't we, bet a cat could do both sides no worries.

Cheering you on for the handstand bail outs, so excited to hear how you'll do on that part and how cool it will be to regain that freedom!

Also, looking forward to more videos - it's a new week coming up, surely you will GIVE US MOAR VIDEOS, right?!!

Ooh how fun that you tried the flows! And yay for nailing it in the end. :)

And of course there will indeed be more videos. It's actually quite fun, and extremely useful for figuring out what I need to work on.

• Like 2

And of course there will indeed be more videos. It's actually quite fun, and extremely useful for figuring out what I need to work on.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

No updates for a few days, but don't worry, I'm still on a roll!

I was actually "away" this weekend - to meet B's parents for the first time. :o (They only live about an hour away but it's in the middle of nowhere so it felt really far. :P) I have to admit I was having some anxiety about the whole thing, which probably contributed to the funk last week, but once I got over it I had a lovely time and it felt super nice. It was like a mini-holiday (to an extremely unexciting place, but still). We went for nice walks in the countryside (how quaint), played board games with his sister and one of his brothers (who I already knew from climbing) and generally lazed about. The weather on Sunday was glorious and it was amazing being outside again.

I didn't slack the entire time though!

Day 12

Friday I spent catching up on life, and I did an hour of yoga with heavy focus on standing balances. I was feeling tired but I powered through anyway.

Day 13

Saturday I tried to do my active flexibility exercises, but my body was saying nope, not having any of that. My body felt stiff on one side and too weak on the other so I ended up just foam rolling and doing some gentler passive stretching. 

Day 14

Yesterday I had a mammoth session. First we went climbing for an hour and a half and I put in some good, solid work. My mind was in the right headspace, I managed to complete a route which I bailed at previously and got a bit further on a project. I also worked on some problems with heavy moves that I'm not quite strong enough to do. I'm not going to lie, it was frustrating, but not in a want to throw in the towel kind of way for once, but in a this needs work kind of way. After climbing I had an intense backbend session. Then I went home, ate food and crashed so hard. 

• Like 3

Week 2 summary

Goal #1: Streeeetch!

• I did something every single day this week! (3x backbends incl 1x skill session, 1x active flex, 1x balance yoga, 1x movement flow and 2x passive stretch + 3x climbing) I turned up to do the work even when I was feeling tired or down, and yes it was hard but I did it. In all honesty it's a bit too much at times with a 7 day a week schedule, but on the days when my body said no I simply adapted my original plans and did something else.

• I'm enjoying this rekindled sense of focus. Whenever I've set a daily todo in past challenges I've often done things half heartedly in order to check the box. Now I'm always aiming to put in quality work and then "downgrade" to something easier if I'm not up to the challenge. It helps that I don't have a set amount to do but go by feel.

• I didn't do any heavy splits training this week as my hamstring is cranky. I've still worked on my hip flexors as part of backbends but taken it easy otherwise. It's annoying, but today I've started treatment to fix it once and for all. The estimate is that it will take 4-6 weekly sessions with a small amount of daily rehab work. I won't be able to train my front splits during this time, but I'll keep working on my middle splits as much as I can, my hip flexors and active flexibility and then get back to it. It will be worth it!

Grade: Major win

Goal #2: Fix my environment

• I've been experimenting with sleeping on the floor on just a thinner mattress. I actually found it really comfy and my body feels more "ready" in the morning.

• I've been somewhat more lazy at work, with an average of 3.5 sitting hours. Which is ok in absolute terms, but I've been sitting down for longer periods at a time and it's not ideal.

• I only walked an average of 5.4 km last week. It's a lame excuse but it was cold and rainy in the beginning of the week and I didn't want to. :P

Grade: Ok

Goal #3: Shinies!

• I did the rest of the movement flows and found another movement that I really like. So now I have a top 3 list of moves that I can more or less do but that I'd like to get pretty, and another few moves that are just plain fun.

• I had a big session where I played with various contortion skills, and other weird things like messing around with circus tricks on the rings. :)

Goal #4: Love the process! (WIS+2, CHA +3)

• I posted a video!

• I'm taking it day by day and allowing my body to dictate what work to do.

• My climbing headspace has finally turned around again and I end sessions tired rather than depressed!

Overall I had a great week, even with a slump in the middle. I'm still feeling motivated and excited about the challenge and ready for week 3! I just wish I didn't have soooo much DOMS from yesterday!  :wacko: I might actually have to take a whole rest day today...

• Like 5

A whole rest day would be very deserved. Bummer that your hamstring is still giving you grief, but you adapted around everything so wonderfully this past week and I'm sure you'll continue to do so with aplomb. Going by feel definitely seems to work for you! :D

Raptron, alot assassin

Week 2 was so full of win for you Hatter!! I hope you hamstring feels better soon :)

Sent from the TARDIS

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

Challenge Thread || Walking PVP Thread

Level: 0 - Future Assassin || STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Walking 1,000 Miles in 2015 // 167.30 miles as of March 7, 2015

16.7%
16.7%

Body Fat Percentage // 44% as of January 1, 2015

44%
44%
  • I'm enjoying this rekindled sense of focus. Whenever I've set a daily todo in past challenges I've often done things half heartedly in order to check the box. Now I'm always aiming to put in quality work and then "downgrade" to something easier if I'm not up to the challenge. It helps that I don't have a set amount to do but go by feel.

This is so brilliant. It's like the advanced step from making it a habit. Like when you can do a move roughly and now you are making it graceful. Dedicated quality, yum, you are rocking it :)

I just love it when life comes back into focus, and things are wonderful again! I'm glad you broke through your wall in climbing, that is great news. Once my strength-to-weight ratio is lower, I'd really love to do some climbing. I know it's amazing for upper body strength and grip. It's really my wrists I'm going to have to work on, willy flimsy nerd wrists.

I'm so inspired by you. I am focusing on working on my back's bendiness, with baby steps. After some core work on the stability ball yesterday, I decided to do some gentle back bends, using the ball as support. It went surprisingly well. I also did some baby standing backbends when I was stretching, and did a whole yoga routine on that app you recommended for the lower back. I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I really want to work some flexability back into those muscles.

I just wanted you to know that yoga app is amazeballs, and that you totally inspire me to make my flexibility better!

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee