Awkward Active, Ragnars and Ultras Oh My!

Anamal

WEEK 2 Wrap Up:

1) Training:

1 Long Run (value 2pts)) - Fail - 0pts

2 Hills Session (value 2pts/ea) - Check - 4pts

2 Recovery Runs - Check - 4pts

8/10

2) Strength and Cross Training:

1 Bike Commute - Check and then some! - 2pts

3 Barre3 Workouts - check - 6pts

8/8

3) Nutrition:

Tracking food as accurately as possible (3pts) 1pt

Staying under calorie goal (3pts) * 1pt

Staying under carb goal (3pts) * 1pt

Total weekly Potential Points: 3/9

WEEKLY TOTAL POINTS: 19/27 70% = C! I'm doing better but still not as well as I would like to be. The added stress of not having a car resulted in a few days of really spot on eating, one day of a total meal failure, one cheat meal on the day I crashed my car, and on Sunday I didn't bother to track food I ate while hiking although I didn't eat that much so I'm certain I didn't go over that day. I really like this points system so far. It allows me to see what I'm actually succeeding/failing at and it keeps my on track weekly instead of viewing the challenge as a whole. I'm dissapointed in myself for not getting a long run in, but this week left me feeling really run down and I just didn't feel like I could handle it. And our hike on Sunday, although very steep wasn't enough for me to qualify it as a long run and I basically still felt kinda sick all day long.

For this week in an effort to do better nutritionally I've already packed a weeks worth of lunches and planned out a weeks worth of breakfasts so the majority of my food is taken care of through Friday. I'll have to buy some dinners but as it turns out buying a weeks worth of food is kind of a challenge on a bike. Besides I'm eating at the bf's tonight so I'll only need to buy 4 dinner meals after work on Tuesday.

Today I'm feeling worn out from our hike Sunday so I just did a 40min Barre workout and rode my bike to work and that in and of itself felt plenty challenging.

I keep my running shoes and other times in a backpack which is very handy in a pinch.  LOL  Pretty smart to give yourself a bit of a cushion with the additional cals considering how much you have to bike now.  Sorry to hear about the car.

The food as reward thing was so tough for me.  Worse was trying not to use it as a reward for my kiddo.  You do not realize how ingrained those habits are sometimes until you see that you use it to reward or comfort someone else.  That is how it was when I was at my family's home.  It was easier to recognize stress and food then reward and food for me anyway.  Stress is associated with not good things but hey a reward...that is a good thing right?  LOL  No doubt you will do great.

All this extra biking and so on is just going to make your legs that much stronger!

I usually have all my gear together, but by the time I put in stuff to workout and shower at the gym (no towel service where I go) work clothes, lunch, and if I'm heading over to the bf's after work, clothes and everything for the next day it seems like a lot of stuff. But it's managable so long as I don't have to run errands after work.

Food as a reward is such a struggle for me. But really the whole reward system is something I've never really figured out in terms of getting something that feels like a reward vs something that feels like a bad reward like food which is just enforcing negative binge eating habits. But then again, I've always known food is my work place.

The biking will definitely make me stronger! I feel like right now I'm in the place that happens with all new workout programs, where you're feeling tired but haven't started seeing benefits yet.

• Like 1

Guys I feel really bad, but I just don't have the mental capacity to keep up with every body elses challenges right now! I want next week to be better and hopefully work won't be as insane, but for the time being I'm just going to update my thread and I'll get back to reading all your amazing success stories this weekend/next week. Sorry!

Monday - Food was awesome 2/3 meals. Dinner the boy made chicken alfredo with salad and even remembered to buy me gluten free pasta! Not an ideal meal for sure, but I'm not going to turn that down. Besides I'm aiming for consistantly good, not infrequently perfect. For training I rode my bike to work and to the boys house after - total 17 miles and did a 40 min Barre session in the morning which felt way harder than it normally does.

Tuesday - Woke up feeling like I'd fallen down a flight of stairs, sore all over and tired. Riding to and from work (another 17miles since I'm coming from the boys place). But I had the foresignt to pack 2 lunches and a breakfast on Monday so I had a healthy breakfast and lunch waiting for me when I arrived at work. Hoping I'll feel better as the day goes on and I can get a quick recovery run tonight and/or a barre session in before bed. In general energy is just low, but I'm telling myself that's my body adapting to the added stress I've been placing on it and I'll start feeling better soon.

My mantra for this challenge will be "stay positive"

• Like 1

Wednesday -

I'm still so freaking tired and it feels like my muscles really aren't recovering at all! Last night I slept probably close to 10hrs and still don't feel great today. But I knew that if I had any hope of getting all my workouts in this week I needed to get in a run in today so I went for a very short recovery run. Frankly it was more like a recovery walk but I'm so tired I'm counting it. It was also very apparent that I really needed a rest day today. It seems hard to believe that adding on a little extra bike riding (about 50 miles a week) has been so exhausting, it's also quite discouraging for both my fitness levels and my level of preparedness going into my April and May races. I'm just about a month out from Ragnar and I'm really starting to freak out about it!

Diet has still be pretty spot on this week. Packing lunches and breakfasts for the week was such a time and energy saver. And one of the real benefits of riding my bike home is that swinging by the grocery store becomes a massive hassle and as a result I'm not buying food I don't need or spending extra money.

Also, took my 1 month measurements today. I was up 1lb (which is within standard deviation for me) from last time I weighed, but down 3.75 inches over all from when I took measurements last month. Didn't take progress pics because I couldn't find the swimsuit I'm using. I really hate doing these measurements but its the only way to track progress and without them I tend to assume that I'm failing so I'm glad I put my big girl pants on today and got it done.

• Like 2

Sorry the biking is taking such a toll.  I had the same thing happen when I first started riding.  I went from barely a leisure ride to 50-60 miles a week out of necessity.  My legs were so dang tired.  Then again I did not have the training going on that you do and was not looking at a Ragnar either.  Glad you are getting some rest and your legs will adjust.  Remember...stay positive.  You got this!  That sounds like it will be such an epic expereince!

Do you have any days that you can take complete rest...no riding or exercising?  

Fantastic about the food.  I know when we had to start carrying all our food home in back packs we became picky about what purchased as well.  Awesome about the measurements!

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I'm just going to go ahead and call last week a total failure. Nutrition, training, life, everything got sidelined by massive amounts of stress and general insanity and everything that wasn't necissary went to pot.

But it's a new week and I'm ready for a respawn.

In addition to life stress I think what derailed me last week was the realization that my races are so close, and due to illness I'm just not ready at all. Ragnar is just two weeks away, and my first ultra marathon a month after that. This resulted in "why even bother" few days. I'll still show up at the start line for both events, but running even 8miles now takes nearly 2 hours and it just feels like I'm starting all over again in my run training. It's a little overwhelming and I get really sad thinking how excited I was for these events and now I just know it's going to be a slow slog. I know that trying to increase training too rapidly will just end up in injury, and I'm already dealing with a few little nags here and there. All I can do now is try and get a few long efforts in during the week and maybe some longer mid-week runs to try and boost mileage. This challenge has prooven to be a total flop and I'm really bummed out by it.

Sucks to not train like planned for a race.  Seems like a sound strategy to focus on your weakness for this race which is the endurance and make sure you have recovery/rest days and a little more before race day (aka mini taper for the relay and an actual taper for the ultra).

• Like 1

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Aw crap! Sorry AA. Life is a never-ending turn of events and keeping steady and on course is impossible to do ALL the time. I agree with B, working on the pieces that are weak or may result in injury is certainly where I would focus my training were I in your shoes. Good Luck!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Glad to hear you are still showing up at the start line.  It may not be the events you had anticipated but you are still doing it.  Better than giving up and not doing because it may not be what you dreamed they would be.  It pales in comparison but the half I ran, my first real event, was far from what I imagined and my training was off the month before hand.  It was terrible weather, made sooooo many mistakes, and I knew at the starting line I was not as ready as I *should/could* have been if my training had not suffered that last month (such a mental set back).  Took a bit of time for the blah feelings to fade but I am so dang proud for doing it.  I was proud at the end of the race, don't get me wrong, but I was also frustrated which I had to keep in check and focus on the fact I completed it.  I would still be regretting it if I threw in the towel.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Wow thanks for the support guys!! To be honest I kinda threw the towel in on this challenge. I'm still training and several things have aligned so that I'm much less stressed now.

All I can do at this point is my best. Ragnar is next weekend and my 50k a month after that, so I'll keep on keeping on and see where that gets me. I'm going to take a breather this weekend with a trip to the mountains and I'll get back on the challenge train in time for the next one... or maybe the one after that.

• Like 1

Awesome to hear you are less stressed and have such a great weekend planned.  So are you going to post somewhere about how the Ragnar goes?  Ever since I heard of them I decided that is one I want to do and I look forward to hearing about your experience.

• Like 1

Awesome to hear you are less stressed and have such a great weekend planned.  So are you going to post somewhere about how the Ragnar goes?  Ever since I heard of them I decided that is one I want to do and I look forward to hearing about your experience.

There is a brief race report on my current challenge if you care for a read.