karinajean fights the abominable snowman

karinajean

I actually can kneel down and put pressure on my knees with no problem.  I guess I technically have the full ROM, but it is so uncomfortable to do a heels to butt kneel that I can't really hold it more than a few seconds.

And OMG on that bathroom!  Is the toilet the same hideous yellow as the sink?  I had to banish the 1960's from my house, too, by purging bathroom fixtures that were blue, yellow, and bright pink.  I still have ugly tiles to do something with, but I haven't quite figured out what.   Good luck with the remodel!  I'm sure it'll look fantastic!

It's a bit uncomfortable to kneel for any length of time but not out and out painful for me.

As for heels to butt, I can't, there's probably a good 2 inches to go.  But my surgeon also told me to try and stay away from that extreme ROM.  I believe the exact words he used were "Even if you were a super yoga master I would tell you to do child's pose on your toes, not on the top of your feet."

And KJ, isn't it the best feeling when you realize your leg works the way it's supposed to?

We're due for a floor remodel on the bathroom, the lino wasn't sealed quite right and shower water = staining and a teensy bit of mold.  However, the reno master (aka TheBuddy) tore part of it up without asking the landlord if it was okay first so I made him stop until he asked. 

Also first-dateiversaries are the best.

Man, you kids, with your badges and your sense of community and your validation of your efforts.

In my day, if we wanted badges and all that, we'd do a push ups for a while before climbing a mountain and wrestling a bear. Not many of us came back in those days. Guess they decided they couldn't come back and face the shame.

:D

Also, here's how warped my sense of aesthetics is: I don't think that bathroom looks half bad.

• Like 1

Hahaha, I cracked up at your URGENTLY comment.  Too funny.

And holy moly I am jealous.   I want a Captain Fitness badge!!!  That's amazing.

_gif__steve_rogers__captain_america___co

You had a super amazing week again, woo hoo!!  Keep crushing it chica!    You're super helping my own motivation.

(And I can't wait to watch your bathroom update progress pics, don't stop sharing.   I LOVE bathrooms.  I want to redo mine so bad.)

I will share a pic a day, because of you!

OUTSIDE RUNNNN!!! SPRING!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYY!

Very nice week 3. :D

of course this morning I was woken up by DRIVING SNOW?! it was just a squall but it was, seriously, blizzardy. oh well. I'm sure spring will really come. the earth keeps rotating around the sun.

I mean, it wasn't as terrible as everyone else's (and by everyone else I mean the east coast). We got some snow here but mostly it's been cold and stuff. So when it finally gets to be decent weather when I'm off work (which is the real deciding factor here) then I get really excited.

AND I DID ALL THE THINGS! Sort of :D

YAY! all the things! it is the assassin way. :)

Sooooooooooooooo proud of you for running!  Who's amazing?  YOU'RE amazing!

no YOU are amazing!

So much positivity :-) Well done on a really successful week.

I also suffer with the 'weekend eats' and just don't know how to stop myself. I usually have one cheat day but then generally I don't eat healthy meals either. Maybe more forward planning is required?

I'm really not sure what to do with this - I mean, I do a great job of exercising hard on a sat., eating a super good breakfast and lunch, but then family special dinners are always, like, 1500 calories. that's a lot!

I actually can kneel down and put pressure on my knees with no problem.  I guess I technically have the full ROM, but it is so uncomfortable to do a heels to butt kneel that I can't really hold it more than a few seconds.

And OMG on that bathroom!  Is the toilet the same hideous yellow as the sink?  I had to banish the 1960's from my house, too, by purging bathroom fixtures that were blue, yellow, and bright pink.  I still have ugly tiles to do something with, but I haven't quite figured out what.   Good luck with the remodel!  I'm sure it'll look fantastic!

oh my gosh the toilet base, sink, and tub all miraculously matched each other. complete with brushed bronze fittings. the floor lino was a dingy grey and the walls a dingy flat paint that might be primer. We had a terrible leaky faucet in the bathroom and the tiles were falling apart. when my husband moved in he decided there was nothing to be done and bought all mis-matched towels in different bright colors.

OMG what a great week!! Fabulous!

:) thank you!

And KJ, isn't it the best feeling when you realize your leg works the way it's supposed to?

We're due for a floor remodel on the bathroom, the lino wasn't sealed quite right and shower water = staining and a teensy bit of mold.  However, the reno master (aka TheBuddy) tore part of it up without asking the landlord if it was okay first so I made him stop until he asked. 

Also first-dateiversaries are the best.

YES it is so the best feeling.

we are getting the most amazing tiles - they look like wood flooring. I am so excited about them.

90E700377_panzoom@2x.jpg

Awesome week! Well done you!

thank you! isn't it funny how you can feel totally blech about a week, and then write it down and it seems ok?

Man, you kids, with your badges and your sense of community and your validation of your efforts.

In my day, if we wanted badges and all that, we'd do a push ups for a while before climbing a mountain and wrestling a bear. Not many of us came back in those days. Guess they decided they couldn't come back and face the shame.

:D

Also, here's how warped my sense of aesthetics is: I don't think that bathroom looks half bad.

well, it wasn't so bad that we didn't live with it for, seriously, SEVEN YEARS. we've been talking about a redo for a while. mostly it needed a total refresh - the paint and tiles and tub didn't match, and we could have bridged it all by repainting (which it badly needed because the original paint was maybe just primer? and was totally dingy?) -- and the vanity drawers didn't work at all, they were just DRAWERS with no BOTTOM which was like the universe pointing and laughing at me.  But while we were going to do something big, I wanted to pull the tub out so the window could be accessible full time, and then we found this AMAZING tub on craigslist for like, $60 bucks, so we have seriously had it on our front porch for a couple of years while we screwed around saving money.

because I think it's hilarious, this is us getting it home:

8089984183_9c3b803cd6.jpg

Also how do you know that I wasn't climbing mountains and wrestling grizzlies as one of my logged activities over the last 26 weeks? that's a long time, it probably came up at SOME POINT during that period. I mean, considering the lifestyle I lead it's almost certain.

• Like 8

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

so this morning was day 1 without a shower at home. we went to sleep super early last night - in bed and lights off by 9:10. man I needed that. I need more of that. but it was a good start. we had to hop out of bed at 5 and this was also the first day of having to be awake enough for peeing that we could get out  of bed and negotiate stairs with a kitty cat trying to help show you the way. the upstairs bathroom is so nice. Of course, it is a huge luxury to have a "powder room" downstairs.

[[off topic but I have decided that everyone should make their powder rooms into a stealth 2nd shower. tile the whole thing and put a drain in the floor, and have your vanity and stuff be waterproof. that way you can take a shower in there, even if you have to stand over the toilet to do so. it would be so amazing to have a 2nd shower in our house. I have photos of examples if people are curious. I think about this ALL THE TIME.]]

up and to the gym, where I ran for 25 minutes straight at either 6.2 or 6.5 on the treadmill. I think I managed to do 25 minutes/2.7ish miles.  I wasn't paying that much attention.

yesterday afternoon I spent some time trying to unravel how I need to connect all the tracking things.

totally boring navel gazing exercise ahead:

* the jawbone is nice to count steps/etc. It links directly into loseit. it will also adjust your calories based on how much you are moving - and I would really like to understand how my calculated TDEE actually matches up with reality.

* the jawbone also has an activity tracker, but it uses formulas to calculate how many calories you've burned. it overestimated my calories from my workout today by about 100 calories when compared to my HRM.

* I have been using my HRM to link up to wazoo fitness, which calculates calories based on HR. (runkeeper and map my fitness take the HR data and store it, but still use a MET value equation to calculate calories burned). wazoo links to runkeeper or map my fitness, and the calories are preserved between platforms and then I've been using runkeeper to link into loseit.

* but now, I am in a place where if I use my jawbone guy while I'm exercising, it will double count calories burned during activity.

but if I don't, I will never ever get enough steps to meet my arbitrary goal.

* so today I'm experimenting. exporting my HRM data to mapmyfitness and then into the jawbone didn't pull the correct number of calories. runkeeper didn't either. I guess at this point my next step is to keep using runkeeper to input into loseit, and see if the calories are terribly skewed in jawbone if I DON'T track activities, but just keep the tracker on for steps. after that the only choice is to just deal with the part that I'll never win any step competitions and take it off when I'm exercising so I'm not double counting.

*** I'm hoping this would all be a moot point for one of the HR-based trackers. and I'm still holding out for the jawbone up3, if it's ever produced.

• Like 3

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Bathroom day 1 results: partial demo. There was surprise cellulose insulation in the ceiling that took the guys a little longer to negotiate.

95a5a4f815f2b72e12058b52426bf531.jpg

That's our attic floor!

13fbd62fd3e84db296a5bb032befa683.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Wow, technology can be super useful for collecting data, but only if the data's on point. I hope you get all that figured out, since technology seems to form the backbone of your efforts.

I find that the daily tracking (and the daily NF forums) keeps me engaged. I hate to think that I'll be doing this forever (the daily tracking part! the daily NF part is fine by me), so I choose not to think that and just imagine a world where I become the best and most efficient me and can always manage to eat exactly the right things and exercise exactly the right amount. Kind of a health enlightenment. I'm SURE it'll happen. :peaceful:

Oh my god, those tiles are amazing.

I've always wanted a holodeck style bathroom - black tile with yellow grout, but it might be hard to sell the landlord on that (or anyone else if we bought a place, did that, and then tried to sell it) - yours are much more regular people friendly.

I wish I could help you with your technology business, but I pretty much ignore cals from exercise and calculate my TDEE with weight gained/lost vs. cals in.

I'm so excited about the jawbone up3. I really want something to fulfill all of my tracking fantasies. I gave up the HRM function and just use my fitbit all the time. I use it for the steps, and then just turn on/off the activity tracker while I'm at the gym. It works ok, right now I'm more worried about the steps.

I'm so with you on the weekend eating stuff. Saturday is my carb refeed day, and I have to be super careful not to let the party roll over into Sunday. I don't like being as militant on the weekends, but if it's a free for all, I pay for it on Monday. It's such a delicate balance. But if I didn't do a refeed I'd lose my mind, I seriously wouldn't have made it this long without some flexibility in my diet.

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Wow, you have so much going on! (As usual, lol) It looks like you are doing fantastic with your challenge. And you are brave to remodel the only full bathroom in the house. I bet it will be awesome when it is done, though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oo oo oo I want pictures of this mythical bathroom/shower thing! It sounds intriguing.

How do you pick a fitness tracker? There seem to be a large amount out there...

Level 5 Human Assassin

Current Challenge: x

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

"Iron Man's got a suit, and the Hulk's pretty strong. And Thor he's like a god, and me I'm just a guy... Just a regular guy in a not so regular world. What's a man to do when I know I'm just a regular guy in a not so regular world?...They're like 'Yo, ain't you that Hawkguy dude?' And I'm like, Nah, you got me confused."

- from "Hawkguy", Adam WarRock

I'm not sure with the programs and apps you are using, but for Fitbit + MyFitnessPal - they're set up to work together really nicely.    I let the Fitbit HR track my daily steps and calorie burn based off the 24/7 tracked heart rate.   (Seems pretty likely to be accurate at rest/idle and during walks/runs.)    For my intense workouts that the Fitbit does not do well with, I use my Polar HRM and input the workout totals into My Fitness Pal.     There's a setting in MFP that allows for "Negative Fitbit Adjustment."   So long as that is set on, it replaces the one with the other and it all evens out.   It's really pretty amazing.    

Maybe your apps and gadgets have a similar setting hidden somewhere?

I also HUG.  Because you make me feel better about my gadget/input/data habits lol!!!  We can't help that we get addicted to allllll the data!

• Like 2

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Dang you're on a roll!  26 weeks?!?!  Actually, no I can believe that haha.  And it seems a lot of people are getting super tired lately (maybe the last yuck before spring moment?).

AND HELLO DESTRUCTION.  I love the wood-like tiles you're getting <3  oh man it must be like nirvana just to see those colours (lavender/yellow?!?) gone lol.

I've seen photos for showers with the shower/toilet combo and just. no.  Well for me anyways.  Though I do wonder how strong the quads are on people who have those and need to squat over the toilet to shower... HMMMM

• Like 1

Challenges | Current |

Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | MFP

OOOOOOO SPARLY!!!  - Jenyne Butterfly (Shit Pole Dancers Say)

I need more Mighty Grip.  Do you have more Mighty Grip?  - Steven Retchless (Shit Pole Dancers Say) 

I'm not sure with the programs and apps you are using, but for Fitbit + MyFitnessPal - they're set up to work together really nicely.    I let the Fitbit HR track my daily steps and calorie burn based off the 24/7 tracked heart rate.   (Seems pretty likely to be accurate at rest/idle and during walks/runs.)    For my intense workouts that the Fitbit does not do well with, I use my Polar HRM and input the workout totals into My Fitness Pal.     There's a setting in MFP that allows for "Negative Fitbit Adjustment."   So long as that is set on, it replaces the one with the other and it all evens out.   It's really pretty amazing.    

I also HUG.  Because you make me feel better about my gadget/input/data habits lol!!!  We can't help that we get addicted to allllll the data!

I wish my Fitbit and MFP were playing well together :( one of the reasons I want to upgrade to the jawbone is because I've had to remove/readd my Fitbit EVERY DAY to MFP to get it to sync :( It's also crapping out and not saving my activity periods. It's driving me crazy.

I actually used to do the Polar Fitbit combination thing, but I stopped being able to use my Polar at work. Right now I'm not eating back exercise calories anyhow, so I let my fitbit sync for overall daily calorie burn, but I try not to go crazy about making sure every workout is tracked perfectly. It's only like 100-200 calorie difference. I'm really hoping some of the next generation trackers can negate a lot of this ambiguity, I'm excited to just wear one thing 24/7 and have it watch activity/steps/HR/sleep in one area for me.

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

I wish my Fitbit and MFP were playing well together :( one of the reasons I want to upgrade to the jawbone is because I've had to remove/readd my Fitbit EVERY DAY to MFP to get it to sync :( It's also crapping out and not saving my activity periods. It's driving me crazy.

I actually used to do the Polar Fitbit combination thing, but I stopped being able to use my Polar at work. Right now I'm not eating back exercise calories anyhow, so I let my fitbit sync for overall daily calorie burn, but I try not to go crazy about making sure every workout is tracked perfectly. It's only like 100-200 calorie difference. I'm really hoping some of the next generation trackers can negate a lot of this ambiguity, I'm excited to just wear one thing 24/7 and have it watch activity/steps/HR/sleep in one area for me.

so I have the most basic jawbone, which *doesn't* have the HR built in. the jawbone up3 will have the HR tracking (through bioimpedance) but it's not out yet and everytime I pretend to buy it it says "not shipping for 11-12 more weeks."  so all the calories that the jawbone app calculates for my exercising is based on MET formulas and when I compare to the HRM calcs it appears to wildly overestimate.

loseit DOES also do the fitbit/jawbone adjustment once you hit your calculated base TDEE, but I haven't gotten there yet. still exploring how it all works, but there are big gaps for sure and I still have high hopes that a HRM-style activity tracker will fill them. but starpuck, it's interesting to see when you use your polar HR, and when you use the fitbit HR.

the real reason I'm holding out for the jawbone up3 instead of the fitbit HR version is because of the bioimpedance. I'm really curious about that! otherwise I think I would have gotten the mio fuse when it was out (I have a mio link HRM) (though it doesn't track sleep).

• Like 1

Oo oo oo I want pictures of this mythical bathroom/shower thing! It sounds intriguing.

How do you pick a fitness tracker? There seem to be a large amount out there...

Dang you're on a roll!  26 weeks?!?!  Actually, no I can believe that haha.  And it seems a lot of people are getting super tired lately (maybe the last yuck before spring moment?).

AND HELLO DESTRUCTION.  I love the wood-like tiles you're getting <3  oh man it must be like nirvana just to see those colours (lavender/yellow?!?) gone lol.

I've seen photos for showers with the shower/toilet combo and just. no.  Well for me anyways.  Though I do wonder how strong the quads are on people who have those and need to squat over the toilet to shower... HMMMM

mostly I love this toilet: although it's not particularly easy to use unless you can get up next to it (straddling the toilet is never fun).

putting it a fully tiled room with a showerhead on the wall and hey presto!

but this one is weirdly ugly, and I can't find anything prettier out there.

modern-bathroom.jpg

this would work with a small sink and toilet, too. but I'm talking a SMALL powder room, like, 3x5? so having the toilet+sink together frees up room. if you put the showerhead on the same wall as a waterproof vanity or medicine cabinet, you've got your storage still too.

• Like 3

Wow, you have so much going on! (As usual, lol) It looks like you are doing fantastic with your challenge. And you are brave to remodel the only full bathroom in the house. I bet it will be awesome when it is done, though. :)

it's going to be SO amazing when it's done, and both my husband and I have showers at work, plus there's the gym.... we have the boys 1/2 time so they will just have to shower at their mom's before I pick them up on our nights (and be smelly on our weekends). I can't wait! I'm starting to think of it as my birthday present.

• Like 3

updates!

THURSDAY:

after my 1 1/2 days at home with the contractors, thursday I felt seriously overwhelmed by all the work I hadn't been getting done. And then there was a big thing that I caught and had to fix that was such a stupid thing to have to clear up and ENTIRELY AVOIDABLE except for senior technical guys and their stupid egos.

so I woke up and did yoga on thursday morning - a 25 minute hip/hamstring stretch sequence, and a 10 min. shoulder stretch sequence that REALLY had my shoulders burning. and then I took a sponge bath, because no bathroom, and went into the office. Thankfully everyone decided to phone in for the construction calls this week, so I didn't have to drive all the way down to my job site.

food was ok today, but not amazing. there were cookies and malted milk balls and cake at work. guac and beer for dinner.

tae kwon do was amazing, though! we had 6 black belts, a yellow belt and a white belt. So we spent most of the class fine-tuning basics and our forms. it was awesome. I super love a solid forms session. the kids bailed b/c of homework and being tired, and I didn't have to worry about them at all.

FRIDAY

up and to the gym where I did arms, and accidentally increased my weight because I was so tired (but it worked so I'm going with it!)

I can do 1 actual assisted pull-up with 40 lbs assistance now. which I think is HUGE. I've been doing increasing assistance, so today I did 1x at 40 lbs assist, 1x at 45 lbs assist, 2x at 50 lbs assist, and 4x 55 lbs assist.

and now I'm at work, and we are supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow wtf nature, and my husband is playing a show in brooklyn tonight so I'm supposed to be driving into the city and I guess I'll just be playing everything by ear.

HOUSE UPDATE TO COME.

• Like 3

Ooo that is a good idea to add an extra one... this gives me ideas.

Eww snow.  Can it just go away now???

And grats on the new lvl of assisted pullups!!!

• Like 1

Challenges | Current |

Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | MFP

OOOOOOO SPARLY!!!  - Jenyne Butterfly (Shit Pole Dancers Say)

I need more Mighty Grip.  Do you have more Mighty Grip?  - Steven Retchless (Shit Pole Dancers Say) 

Woohoo for weight increases for arms!

• Like 1

MONDAY - I'm going all out of order. but this morning I am at home because the contractors are going to come and tear down the ceiling in the kitchen and sister up the best joists out of the 2 sets we have, so we can rely on just one set of awesome joists.theoretically.

MY ELBOW HURTS. I think it's from all the extra weight, plus the trying so much at the pull-ups, plus my seriously intensive tkd class on sat. with the weapons - we did swords, then bo staff, then 2 sword form, and then worked with the shinai's on the blocks where you drop the tip of your sword and BRING YOUR ELBOW UP  and knock the other sword out of the way. we did a zillion awkward figure-8's, and I think that's what put me over the edge. ugh.

so I was going to get up and do some yoga but I still had to clear out the rest of the kitchen, total drag. I just finished and it's time to start working (remotely). so I will see how the day goes but I'm thinking today should be a rest day. believe me, I need one badly. I'm out of order, but I'll spoiler it for you. I AM SO TIRED.

In prep for the potential 3-5 days without a kitchen while they are smashing ceilings and sistering joints. I made steel-cut oats last night and mixed in 1 egg per serving and packed that all up in pint sized canning jars ready to grab and go. I had one for breakfast already and I'm feeling like a genius. I also buy whole milk yogurt in bulk, and packed up 2 quarts of yogurt in 1 cup jars with a spoon of jam in each, so that's ready to grab and go. I honestly don't know what we are going to eat this week but tonight I have the kids and I'm just going to get a pizza. I did get arugula to go on my pizza.

I've found out that a lot of people tell me stories of home renovations where they did dishes in the bathtub for a week. we are now in a situation where we don't have a shower or tub, and I'm not sure we'll be able to access the stove/oven/pots/pans long-term. We had to empty out our pantry cabinets and everything is packed up in tubs in the living room. this is disruptive. luckily we are excellent at camping. plus the birds are back after our loooong winter and Ella is super happy to sit and watch them from all the different windows in the house.