karinajean fights the abominable snowman

karinajean

Yes... I agree with Hatter.  It's time for negatives, flex hangs, and maybe partial ROM or jumping pull ups.  

I loved a good forms session, too, when I did martial arts.  Which forms are you doing?  My absolute favorites are Koryo and Gae Baek (yes, I know they're from different TKD styles.  My school tended to borrow from anyone it wished).  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

OK jumping back in time.

we got home so late from the show friday night, but miraculously I didn't go way over calories? despite drinking manhattans? go me?

SAT.

up early and out to the dojo. first boxing, which was very strenuous. then weapons with aforementioned elbow stress from shinai drills. then regular tkd class, which was another really good one, involving sparring alternating with keechoes and forms. by the end of all the classes I was a shivery jiggly mess. I came home and drill sargented my husband into lunch prep (when I get hungry there is a slight window before I totally bonk and start crying where I notice and can catch it. when HE gets hungry his brain kind of wanders off and he's terrible at getting food together for himself. so I often will swoop in and snap to action and get as much done as possible). we had leftover boneless pork chops so we podged together cuban sandwiches. SO DELICIOUS. we WERE going to go to the gym for showering, but I was fairly well bonked after my workout so we puttered around the house and ended up staying home. which meant that

SUNDAY WAS A BIG DAY.

we got up and went to the gym earlyish and I ran on the treadmill, yay! and then we showered (full reasons for going to the gym) and went to the home despot and bought light options and spray paint to finish the outside of the bathtub and plastic tubs for the kitchen. then I bonked! for real! and my husband took me to a diner and I rallied and then we went grocery shopping and home and spent HOURS, seriously, HOURS, doing a full spring cleaning without the cleaning on the kitchen. we moved all the food out of the upper cabinets, because they will likely have to take them off the wall. I took down all the pictures. we removed the canning jars from the disaster shelves where they've been hanging out (note this is not a great solution, we should put them back nicer than this). it took HOURS. we cleaned out lots of old food from the pantry and took out 2 loads to the compost. I washed dishes and made food.

it was a lot, y'all. and my elbow hurts.

but the best thing that happened this weekend (OK my classes at the dojo were amazing, but foodwise) was the incredibly fancy ramen we had for dinner both sat. and sun. both days started with a packet of ramen - but we tossed the flavor packet and stirred in some miso paste and chili sauce for the broth after the noodles were cooked. On sat. I topped it with chopped pork chop and pieces of a leftover frittata. last night we stirred in this delicious leftover chicken-spinach-couscous soup I'd made last week, and also put a fried egg on top. SO GOOD. also the best possible way to stretch a package of ramen, and still only like 400 calories, depending on what you put in.

• Like 3

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Nice pull-up progress! I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation, but is it not time to ditch the machine and start doing negatives? :)

Yes... I agree with Hatter.  It's time for negatives, flex hangs, and maybe partial ROM or jumping pull ups.  

I loved a good forms session, too, when I did martial arts.  Which forms are you doing?  My absolute favorites are Koryo and Gae Baek (yes, I know they're from different TKD styles.  My school tended to borrow from anyone it wished).  

so, we have a pull-up bar and I do try to do the negatives at home, and when I'm at the dojo early on tuesdays I do hangs. at the gym I'm doing an assist, but it's an assist up from deadhang and then a slooooooow negative back down again. it's not quite the same but it really feels tough. I'm about at the point where I can hang with my chin/chest at the bar. I am bummed though b/c my elbows are totally sore right now!

Nymeria - right now I'm trying to learn yom bi (of course I can't spell anything) but I am having a hard time remembering all the things. we do koryo with the bo staff, and it is super fun. I would like to learn it without the weapon, though. I have been working hard to fine tune chul gi 2 and pal sai, but I have to say my favorite form to just bust out with is ship soo (or chips?) because I like to pretend I am smashing the universe and throwing fireballs.

I was trying to look up the spelling aaaaand I was reminded once again of how different chung do kwon is from other styles of tkd. I mean, they're very similar, but VERY different. we do a bunch of other forms in weapons, but my regular class is all chung do kwon styles.

Your life sounds so adventurous. :) In some ways, I think I envy you.

Also, that moment when you set the wrong weight and then lift with it anyway. :D That's always fun in retrospect.

it's a good life! but honestly, sometimes I really just have to keep going, because if I stop I might realize how tired I really am. (and then the grizzly's sneak up on me...)

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

WEEK 4 SUMMARY (whiny about my elbow).

GOAL 1 Train your body - workouts 5x a week

I pretty much did good?

scratch that question mark, I did good.

M - arms at the gym
Tu -  only tkd

W - gym run

Th - yoga / tkd
F - arms at the gym

Sat - weapons/boxing/tkd class

Sun - gym run

So I hit 5x, and took Tuesday kind of off, b/c I didn't go any morning activity. but the rest of the week I really did a lot. of. things.

GOAL 2 Feed your face - stay within calories

GOOD.

loseit 032315

better on the weekend than prior weekends. I did have manhattan's at a bar on friday. here's a funny thing - I had kind of a punk rock crisis of faith. not that I am that huge of a punker, but I seriously was like: what are these people even doing at this show. either the music moves you, or the lyrics move you, and there is no moving in this bar. ugh. anyway, it may have been the whiskey that gave me such strong feelings.

GOAL 3 Tweak your skills - pee-and-puh-ups and pull-ups and hangs 4x a week. Bonus: hula hoop!

I NOT do any push-ups during pee-breaks. My week was so disrupted by working at home and I know, I could have done it at home, but I didn't. I did do pull-ups 2x at the gym, which was good. I also did hand-stand practice on thursday for a few minutes. but I wouldn't say I hit this one.

LIFE GOAL. - MAKING THINGS WITH CRAFTS.

Whelp. I stayed home a lot to facilitate the contractor's making things. but I didn't make much. we did go to the hardware store and picked out lights and possible paint colors. we made design decisions. that's kind of crafty.

ALTHOUGH on sat. I pulled out a long-time WIP (that's work in progress for those of you not up on the knitters lingo) and started to work on it again. Actually I got kind of a lot done, and it's possible that I may be done with this (if I keep working on it every day for a few rows) by this week or next. it would be cool to finish something!

OTHER

I totally am dropping still. UM WHAT. (totally cool!)

032315trendweight

I'm not concerned about that bobble up today, because my lean mass apparently has jumped up by 4 lbs?

032315trendweightLEAN

you know, such as it does.

Week 5 planning:

* I'm a little worried about my sore elbow. also about the part where I didn't get much of a rest day this weekend. so today I am resting, I'll try and catch it up later in the week.

* this thursday after tkd I'm going to help teach 18 girl scouts self defense at the dojo. that sounds both simultaneously fun, and terrifying.

* plan this week: M - rest T - gym (run?) W - gym (arm weights? can I even?) Th - gym (run) but it will have to be super fast, b/c I have to get to a training at the office by 8AM. no time for screwing around. Fri - yoga maybe? or gym for arms. I think I'll be tired, but I think I'll need a shower. Sat. we are driving up to albany for my husband's band, and I think I'll be able to do martial arts, but sunday I am not sure if I can fit in an extra run or whatever, because we will be out late and staying over. I am going to bring my sneakers with me, and maybe I can go outside.

* sleep was the pits last week! I need to do better this week.

* I did a great job of not totally going all-out on the weekend this week with food. that said, not having a kitchen this week is stressing me out already (and they haven't even cut into the ceiling). I have prepped, and I am sure it will be ok.

• Like 4

I love how you say "only" TKD, as though that's not a workout.  Ah, my fellow overachiever. :love_heart:

I get elbow pain from too many pull-ups, too......... take care of you.

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

You are handling all this craziness so well! I think your plan to take a rest day today is a good one.

I hope you are able to sleep better this week and feel better while you are doing all these amazing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooof!

*yawwwwn*    I need a nap now just from reading about all that stuff you did!         Holy crow girl!   Ho.lee.Crow.

You had such a busy weekend, and I love how well you are tackling the annoying hurdles of your house construction.   You seem to be really hitting it with a lot of forward momentum and a 'can't stop me' attitude!  LOVE IT!

Be mindful of the elbow, nodnod.   I am dealing with some shoulder pain suddenly - which I am pretty sure is muscular, but yeah, I keep saying I should rest it, but then I am like 'frak that, I am finally back on a good progress route'.   I think a visit to my chiropractor is definitely in order this week, and it's about time I get one of those hour+ murder-massages.  Ugh.

You continue to amaze and inspire me, karinajean!  Much cheers from this lil peanut.

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Yeah, "ONLY" tkd isn't really an only. You were so freaking busy last week, I am just blown away. I've heard a lot of people recently experiencing elbow pain from increased pull-up and push-up work -- a lot of folks doing the PLP challenge have been getting elbow issues in particular. The best thing you can do is give it space and time to heal because that inflammation will not go away if you keep working it.

Good thing you have the gym membership for showers, jeez. Having the bathroom out of commission sounds like a pain in the ass! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Soooo the renovations, funny you should mention them. I'm having scope creep.

The bathroom is good and we are waiting for the plumber.
e371660eb21c0880166dcd062836e7d2.jpg

The joists under the room are not good, and are split and rolling over and will need to be replaced. Not just sistered, as we had initially thought.

8de09e80d5071205012b9472d82c0e5e.jpg
you can kind of see how joists 2 and 3 (counting from the left) are tilted over? that's because they were only fastened with one nail, or no nails at all, to the wall they're resting on (which is a formerly external wall, and load bearing).

The kitchen is surprisingly clean for the amount of tear down required to get all new joists in.
fda396f33fbc0a6e68bedbacb6ed5cc2.jpg

the plan for today (I think?) is to pull the window out (on the right side of the kitchen photo) and bring in new 2x6 joists to be sistered together and replace the old joists. they also have to install a 2x3 or something like that along the ceiling on the left hand side of the photo, because there's not enough room for the joists to sit on top of the load bearing formerly exterior wall. I'm taking this picture from the dining room area, which will need the same kind of repair to the ceiling/floor too - I think we will wait for a couple of months on that one because frankly, there's just no room in our house to shift our belongings around any more so workers can get in and work on things.

eta to bathroom is still 3 weeks.

can't get upset because it's better to find out about this kind of structural issue in your house on purpose, while you've taken the floor out, rather than accidentally when you find yourself impaled on a splintered joist as you fall through the floor while showering.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 2

AND THAT SAID today I had to shower, and I totally bailed out on home repair theater (because I really have a lot of work to do and I am not that effective at working from home this week!) and left my husband home to deal with it.

SIDEBAR: Also I'm super excited, he is going to join our trusty and vaguely annoying yet so cheap and convenient planet fitness as well. he's been going with me as my guest but he's talking about needing to get back into fitness and work his way back up to it. he is a very slow starter and I'm excited that he's kicking this off. he figures he can go on tuesday and thursday evenings while I'm at tkd. yes!

I got to the gym kind of late and hopped on the treadmill with the vague idea I would run 2 miles as fast as I could.

so I warmed up 3 min, and ran 1.5 miles, and then dropped the speed a little, and then told myself I would run for 20 MINUTES instead of 2 miles, and so I finished 2.15 miles in 20 minutes. NICE.

stretching and showering, and then work.

I ate some of my delicious oatmeal for breakfast and I'm ready to get some stuff done. no really. my to do list is insane.

• Like 3

Do you find your construction management/engineering background taking over with the construction guys? We had a great laugh about the poor bastards who were pouring concrete for the foundation of our civil engineer's house. I'm just a technician and I would probably be sampling the concrete just for the hell of it. 

It's good to hear the hubs is going to join you. My Mrs is getting back in the swing of things too. I guess it was spouses weekend to get back in the game! 

• Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

That's awesome that husband is joining the gym for real. Sure you were a big inspiration. :)

I honestly wonder if it's my pecs? he was poking my chest (not my boobs, def. my pecs) and commented on them the other day. ha!

Do you find your construction management/engineering background taking over with the construction guys? We had a great laugh about the poor bastards who were pouring concrete for the foundation of our civil engineer's house. I'm just a technician and I would probably be sampling the concrete just for the hell of it. 

It's good to hear the hubs is going to join you. My Mrs is getting back in the swing of things too. I guess it was spouses weekend to get back in the game! 

I'll be honest - the kind of CM / PM stuff that the GC is doing is the scheduling and coordination nightmare that I try to avoid non-stop. I do keep asking awkward questions like: "so, if we all agree that the bottom joists are broken and also not working well, why do we have to put them back? is there anything else we can do?" that is perhaps at a higher level of structural engineering than what the very competent carpenter is prepared to back-of-envelope design.

and you know I questioned if I should put up such detail/pictures but I thought you would like to see it! :)

it's a really good time of year to shake off hibernation and get back in there! and I love that you and I can be diligent fitness and healthy-minded people in non-scary ways, and I especially love that our spouses want to share that health with us.

• Like 1

YUS for the husband joining the gym! :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I feel like not attaching the joists properly is kind of a critical design flaw that should have been caught somewhere during the initial building process?  Am I naive?

not naive! I think one of the scariest things about having an old house is that you don't know what people did before. And because my house is sooo special - we knew 1/2 of it was built in the 1890s, and half in the 1920s, but it turns out that the 1920s part started as a 1 story addition that was then built up who knows when? there was a LOT of people doing work. the most recent renovation of the downstairs was done by the prior owner and his dad and a bunch of volunteer firefighters that his dad knew. I'm not saying volunteer firefighters can't do a fine job at a renovation, but I will suggest there may have been beers involved.

all things considered, though, with a new house you aren't sure how it's been constructed either, and if materials were up to snuff, and how it will settle. there's opportunities for excitement with both varieties.

AHHH HOME OWNERSHIP IT IS TRULY THE AMERICAN DREAM.

last night both of the boys pooped out of tkd and then I started being really productive and left just late enough to be awkwardly late to class. so I bailed on class too and went straight home and ate eggs with my husband. then I downloaded a TI 99/4A emulator and played parsec for old times sake until bed time.

this morning! we hit the gym. I did arms and took it a little easier on my elbow - no pull-up practice, and I dropped the weight for bicep curls for the last set. also I didn't do the over the head dumbbell tricep things, but instead did bodyweight dips off of a bench. I finished out with 3 sets of reverse crunches alternating with weighted hip thrusts. so, it was a good workout. all things considered.

something I'm finding is that it's much more difficult for me to keep up the intensity level I used to have with weights. My HRM died today, but that awesome thing that is so annoying is happening to me - my HR is recovering a lot faster, and it's staying lower when I exercise. WELL. I mean, yay athlete! but ugh, I can't drink as much chocolate milk and Kahlua (TRUE STORY THIS IS DELICIOUS) after dinner if I'm not burning the calories at the gym. I am trying to remind myself that my exercise and eating are designed to fuel my desired lifestyle, which is a super active one where I can spar at high intensity or sprint or hike really quickly up a mountain. Also I'm a little concerned that relying too much on calories in = calories out is kind of a disordered eating situation.  thinking on this.

That kind of construction is a bit outside my realm. I work with a guy who has built at least 2 house from the ground up. He did all the work from framing to finish to roofing to plumbing. He is a valuable resource when I need to do house maintenance.

Good job on the HR recovery! Except for that less Kahlua part. 

• Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

OH AND.

this is not fitness related,

but the college I went to (cooper union) recently started charging tuition - by it's charter it was compelled to be free, and I have been involved in trying to reverse that decision and find a financially sustainable path forward for the last several years, mostly with the alumni association. it's been exhausting, and tortuous, and whenever I post about a late meeting in nyc that's what I'm doing. there's more information here.

there's been a lawsuit and now this is the exciting headline of the day.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman Is Investigating Cooper Union Probe focuses on financial decisions that led to school’s move to charge tuition
  • Like 1

Workouts getting easier IS A GOOD THING. Better heart rate recovery is an AMAZING thing. lt's also going to be harder to up your workout intensity even further unless you want to switch to more of an eat-to-perform way of fueling yourself, which usually coincides with maintaining weight instead of dropping. Re: the mindset -- have you considered maybe not looking at the calories burned side of things? Obviously it's an important part of the equation, but you know that you are burning more on those workout days and could eat a bit more on them without looking at the hard numbers, right?

I downloaded a TI 99/4A emulator and played parsec for old times sake until bed time.

This is hilarious and adorable btw. 

Raptron, alot assassin

something I'm finding is that it's much more difficult for me to keep up the intensity level I used to have with weights. My HRM died today, but that awesome thing that is so annoying is happening to me - my HR is recovering a lot faster, and it's staying lower when I exercise. WELL. I mean, yay athlete! but ugh, I can't drink as much chocolate milk and Kahlua (TRUE STORY THIS IS DELICIOUS) after dinner if I'm not burning the calories at the gym. I am trying to remind myself that my exercise and eating are designed to fuel my desired lifestyle, which is a super active one where I can spar at high intensity or sprint or hike really quickly up a mountain. Also I'm a little concerned that relying too much on calories in = calories out is kind of a disordered eating situation.  thinking on this.

Oh twin-mindset here.  I have the SAME thing going on.  I'm watching my Fitbit HR monitoring go down and down and down, really, my resting heart rate is UNDER 60 now?    But but but!  More hearbeats = more calories burned!   And during workouts, it's like, go go go!  Yay 150!    Sit, rest, whoa, 90?   No no, get back up there, I want a cookie later.   LOL.

I've always thought it was a bit unfair that the healthier you get, the more efficient your body becomes, and the less you get to eat. :(   And my sister is CONSTANTLY telling me that I have gone overboard on the obsessing on the calories in vs out thing.    I just am so afraid of doing it wrong, and turning the trend in the opposite way of my goals.

Ugh.  so hard!  Right?  MATHFACE >.<

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I've always thought it was a bit unfair that the healthier you get, the more efficient your body becomes, and the less you get to eat. :(   And my sister is CONSTANTLY telling me that I have gone overboard on the obsessing on the calories in vs out thing.    I just am so afraid of doing it wrong, and turning the trend in the opposite way of my goals.

Ugh.  so hard!  Right?  MATHFACE >.<

Oh my goodness, this feeling.  You aren't alone.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire