Fat Shaming/Fat Acceptance Movement

Food can't entirely be the reason though because there are clear outliers.

I think the primary driver of male size is what females collectively over time find most attractive. Nordic chicks are into big dudes, and have been for millennia. The little guys had a hard time getting laid and the big guys didn't, over time the guys get bigger and bigger.

In almost every country around the world, males are 6-9% taller than females (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height.)  This is almost certainly a "hard-wired" biological desire.  Studies have shown that females prefer men who are moderately taller than them; however, attractiveness dips if the height difference is too large.

The evidence is pretty compelling overall that height preference is one of those "hard-wired" desires.  If it weren't, it wouldn't be so universal, so consistent on a global scale.

• Like 1

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I remember moving the the US I gained like 20 pounds the first month, most of it probably in lean mass. I never fathomed how one could take in the recommended dose of protein without breaking bank,

I gained 20 pounds after moving to the US too, but not lean mass-- actually it was mostly fat. :tongue:

I agree that everyone is deserving of loving-kindness and mutual respect, regardless of lifestyle, biology, etc. Where I found heartbreak was seeing how I was treated by (former) friends who were active in HAES/FA and started bullying and criticizing me the moment I started being proactive about my health and wellness and started dropping pounds. Obesity kills and it is dangerous - and I have a right to choose something different for myself.

I respect everybody's right to see themselves and others as beautiful regardless of circumstances; for all humans are born, according to my Peaceful Warrior beliefs, with an innate beauty and innate self worth that is beyond price. But I ask the same respect in return, and the HAES/FA folks aren't always willing to be that way.

I also get tired of walking on a veritable landmine by having to watch what I say and how I phrase things around some of these folks. If you so much as mention that you are watching what you eat and trying to make healthier choices and that you lost weight, some of them take offense to it. They also forget that I have the free will, as do they, and not everybody sees the same thing as being of beauty. (Just ask Shakespeare...)

That is why I came here... At least here I've found a support network that I can trust.

• Like 7

"The only decision that matters is what you do with the time that has been given to you." (Gandalf - LOTR)