Annyshay the Hobbit flees from the Black Riders

annyshay

Sorry to hear that. Take care!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

tumblr_mzzj3aQMX61t088jso1_400.gif

Hope you feel better soon!!!!

And yea .... data is data.  I've been off the rails with eating on a few days, but keep recording it to see how my 'bad" days stack up.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Coming soon .....

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Thanks guys!  *hugs back*

This has been a stressful, draining week.  I had a stupid head cold.  It was shark week.  My attending at work has been a horrible boss.  I was "brought into the principal's office" due to a misunderstanding with someone at work.  We were short staffed.  I had to give a presentation.  So many things that stress me out.

Grateful for:

- prioritized sleep like crazy (8-10 hours every night)

- continued to track my steps, food, and sleep even when I made less than ideal choices

- expressed my frustration (perhaps too often) instead of silently fuming

- honest conversations with roommate about expectations

- NF encouragement and inspiration

- excellent co-workers and friends

- FIRST time for me to be able to acknowledge to myself that I was thinking angry thoughts on purpose to fuel my anger.  Then chose to reframe the thoughts!

- maintained either some meditation or yoga each day

- realized that I was falling for triggers and could resist if I wanted to

- recognized that I was going through the motions with my journal and skipped it instead of not actually paying attention

Room to improve:

- willfully choosing not to eat mindfully is counterproductive

- falling for old food triggers

- putting off cooking for myself

- choosing to be sedentary and play video games instead of walking

OK, hope that wasn't too boring to read.  I'm finding it very helpful to debrief weeks that I feel like a failure.  When I am objective about it, I actually find far more things to be grateful for than to improve.  Progress, not perfection.

Success-Quote-By-George-Bernard-Shaw.jpg

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Week 3 Wrap Up

Notice - 6/7

Record - 7/7

Journal - 6/7

Say Grace - 57%

Deepen Practice - worked through a lot of the doyouyoga challenge and stress meditation pack on headspace, backed off for a day or two when I felt crappy with my cold.

Extras - didn't make 25

Week 4 Wrap Up

Notice - 6/7

Record - 7/7

Journal - 5/7

Say Grace - 48%

Deepen Practice - 76% - I have been keeping myself in the motions despite my cold and general funk. Still, I was willfully avoiding more meditation or sun salutations, which would have helped me care for myself even better.

Extras - didn't make 25

There. Not the end of the world, crazy perfectionist Shannon. You are allowed be sick and make some decisions about which goals are most important. It is wise to prioritize, not lazy. Also, you didn't gain weight and got better from your cold fairly fast... so be NICER to yourself. /self-rant

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

nazgulfinalblog.png

(from this website...)

Annyshay leaned against a tree and released a silent sigh.  They had been running through the woods since the sun went down, trying to lose the Black Riders in the woods to no avail.  The woods were strange at night and more difficult to navigate.  Luckily, Merry and Pippin knew these woods inside out from all their childhood adventures.  Still, the Black Riders were not hampered at all by the dark or their unfamiliarity with the terrain.  They came even closer.  The sniffing sound echoed through Annyshay's head as she locked eyes with Merry.  "I have to leave the Shire," Annyshay mouthed.  Pippin looked horrified.  Sam tightened the straps on his pack.  Merry nodded solemly and mouthed, "Buckleberry Ferry."

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Food Triggers (sorry this was so long coming!)

- morning report

- Grand rounds

- getting a snack when walking by the cafeteria, med-peds office, or resident library

- snacks on the table in the resident library

- finishing rounds

- boredom

- filling out forms

- laying on the couch after work

- RRT (urgent situation at work)

- waiting at an office

- break time at academic half days

- getting home

- finishing a meal

- watching netflix

- seen all my patients

- offered food by friends

- thirsty

This really surprised me initially, but also totally makes sense.  If I summarize them, in order of frequency, I am triggered to eat food:

1) in places with food availability (cafeteria, couch, offices, work rooms, work meetings)

2) as a reward when I complete a task (including meals)

3) under peer pressure from friends

I had been so focused on the fights with friends about food that I had neglected the more automatic habits of locations and completion of tasks.  These are less emotionally loaded things to focus on, and might be easier to dismantle even when I am stressed out.  Also, they are more common!  So, my focus for the rest of the challenge will be on identifying these risk situations, employing a craving control strategy (distraction, relaxation, mindfulness, etc.), and desensitizing myself to these triggers.  I do not expect perfection, just progress.  Sounds like a plan!

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Sounds like a great plan! Knowing the battlefield gives you a huge advantage. :)

You are doing well. Forming new habits takes time, and you are moving in a good direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your debrief and how thoughtful you are about your challenges. Interesting how you noted that you were using angry thoughts to fuel your anger, I haven't thought  about it before, but uh, yeah I think I do that too. :redface-new:

Have you done any more kettlebell  workouts?

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Like the summarizing you did. I wish you luck for the next step! Start small, every little win counts!

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

I like your debrief and how thoughtful you are about your challenges. Interesting how you noted that you were using angry thoughts to fuel your anger, I haven't thought about it before, but uh, yeah I think I do that too. :redface-new:

Have you done any more kettlebell workouts?

Thanks! The thoughts to fuel emotions idea came from my mindfulness app. I think it's often true for me!

Yes! Now that the cold is gone, I'm working on them again. A few times each week... hoping to move up to most days. Currently, I'm doing 6x10 swings with my 20# bell then TGU with the bell (!!!!) on each side once. I should probably take a video soon to check form. Also, time to start increasing reps on the TGUs. :) I really like how short, simple, and effective kettle bells are... I may get hooked. ;)

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

Thanks! The thoughts to fuel emotions idea came from my mindfulness app. I think it's often true for me!

Yes! Now that the cold is gone, I'm working on them again. A few times each week... hoping to move up to most days. Currently, I'm doing 6x10 swings with my 20# bell then TGU with the bell (!!!!) on each side once. I should probably take a video soon to check form. Also, time to start increasing reps on the TGUs. :) I really like how short, simple, and effective kettle bells are... I may get hooked. ;)

I do find them a bit addicting. :)

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Week 5 Day 1

Notice - paid particular attention to location triggers, ie, the cafeteria and resident library. Walked by the cafeteria three times without getting anything ( and singing a silly song to myself). Also, did not eat cake at the end of the day when they brought it to chill in the res library (I had already enjoyed it at lunch time).

Record - under calories!

Journal - yup

Say Grace - 2/3

Deepen Practice - sun salutations, meditation, yoga challenge with roommate :D

Extras - studying, quiet time, meditation, focused movement (kettlebells!), cleaning (5/25)

Watch out, week 5, I'm coming for you. ;)

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Great! Singing a silly song is a great pattern interrupt. Looks like it is working!

Great! Singing a silly song is a great pattern interrupt. Looks like it is working!

It has been my go to since I was, well.... Since I can remember. :). Today, everything is awesome is the on,y thing that kept me from getting in a fight with my boss.

But! Kettlebells! (All with my 20#)

Warm up (prying squats, halos, bridges 3x5)

Swings 5x10 in 5 min

TGU 4x1 in 6 mins

Yoga cool down

Also, our work presentation went really well and I have only four more days before my next rotation (more working from home and flexible schedule, yay!). So, really, Everything IS Awesome.

:D

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

howareyoudoing

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Coming soon .....

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

C'mon, you've been doing so well this challenge. Last days!!!!

The past does not equal the future. If you made some bad choices, oh well. They are now in the past. We have all done it, and we understand. :)

Challenge Wrap Up

OK, I have a lot of thoughts and feelings about this challenge.  I started early and did better on my week 0, so I'm going to start from there.  First, let's look at things by the goals...

Notice - 83% - I will pay attention to the cravings, triggers, and coping strategies I use.

Record - 90.4% - I will record my observations in the RR app after each meal and whenever I notice something important related to my eating.

Journal - 76% - I will spend at least 5 minutes every night reviewing my day and eating habits in writing.

Say Grace - ~60%

Deepen Yoga/Meditation Practice - 90.4%

Since I got over 90% on two categories, I get to choose two big fancy rewards.  Details coming.  ;)

Overall, I think my challenge gets a solid B.

Lessons Learned

- I am way too hard on myself

- debriefing from supposed failures is very educational

- eating only when hungry is crazy stressful

- cravings ARE habits

- knowing my weight is irrelevant and harmful

- overfocus on numbers and recording takes me away from my actual goals

- sleep is paramount

- recognizing and expressing my emotions is important and stressful

- yoga and mindfulness help even when I feel my worst

- list of food triggers!

- most of my food triggers are related to places, not emotions or people

- kettlebells are fun and fast

- you guys are the best :)

From all this, I've realized that Annyshay needs to sort out her priorities.  Join me?

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

I think that was a great challenge, with some great realizations. You are definitely learning and growing!

I like a lot the "lessons learned" list. I use to do that after every challenge, there are always lots of new things that have been discovered.

• Like 1