Miw-Sher: Building Habits to Remain Sane

Miw_Sher

Hi, I am Sher. Or, well, I am actually used to being called Miw when using this nickname, but somebody recently called me Sher and I decided I liked it. :)

Current stats: 23, 162 cm (5'4"), average weight. 

I have been waiting for this challenge impatiently – I have to admit, now that it has come around, I am kind of nervous. I have a rough time ahead and I am unsure how I well I will fare through this challenge… ah, well….

So, why insanity? Well, basically, these 6 weeks fall over a period during which I will be moving between countries once and between homes twice, not to mention that I have three youth conferences scheduled and am holding a leadership position at all of them. While these are loads of fun and I wouldn't miss them for anything in the world, they are also seriously effed up in terms of workload and schedule. The first one is next week and I already know I will have to skip over one morning routine and one workout if I want to sleep at all. So my main goal for these 6 weeks is – maintain habits I have built over the past two months.

Main Overall Quest: Balance & Strength

In truth, my main goal is much more lifestyle-related than fitness-related. I have a desperate focus problem and am unable to persist through a goal. I will keep getting bored and moving on to the next shiny thing or try and do too many things at once. This must change. Now. Which is why the next year is going to be focussed on building habits and sticking to them, and generally gaining some balance in my life.

I do also have a specific fitness goal and motivation as well, though –  my boyfriend and I are volunteering for a zero-emission merchandise transport end of July. On an old schooner. We will be sailor trainees. Part of the trainee programme, if desired, is learning to climb up the masts and riggings. I want to climb up the masts and riggings. Problem: I have no upper body strength. Solution: Learn to do pull-ups.

Sub-Quests:

As mentioned above, my goal for these six weeks, to achieve my overarching goal, is to maintain my workout habits throughout insanity.

Goal 1:  Keep up my current morning routine (wake up reasonably early, 10 mins meditation, 20 of yoga) over the next six weeks + add stretching to improve hamstring flexibility to make up for the fact that I won't be attending yoga classes. I can skip up to *six of these due to the aforementioned conferences.

*Number may vary as I get more information on the programme. Depending on whether the wake-up times are humane or not, I may lower my budget of missed morning routines or not.

Goal 2: Do the Beginner Bodyweight Workout 3 times a week. Swap with Hotel Room Workout when nothing else available and if possible. I can skip up to three of those once again due to those conferences. 

Goal 3: Finish the C25K programme. I am a week 3, so that coincides perfectly with the time-span of these 6 weeks. Ultimately, I want to add running to may daily routine, so finishing this will help me achieve a level of stamina decent enough.

Life Side-Quest:  Finish one observation drawing per week. It cannot be a quick sketch or gesture drawing – I already do tons of those. It has to be a finished drawing or something I worked on for 4+ hours. To keep myself accountable, I will be posting them in this thread.

Personal Bonus (for personal accountability) – Have all my speeches for the aforementioned conferences written and prepared at least six hours ahead of the time I actually need to hold them. I know that we are only supposed to have four challenges, and I will delete this one if required, but either way I will have to prepare and hold those speeches, and having it written down helps. :( I won't assign myself points for this or anything, as it is more of an annoying task I need to get over myself and do than a habit I want to build and keep.

Anyhow, super, super excited AND nervous for this. However, also super motivated and driven. Now, all I need to learn is to view this as a marathon and not a sprint...

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Really? Waiting impatiently? :D;)

Glad to see you here, subbed you!

Will be coaching you to get the workouts done! And maybe i can give you some tips on the running. I got that pretty much figured out (for myself).

Oow and always been curious about meditation, but a little busy now for something that i want to give enough time. So that's gonna be for another 6WC!

No excuses, we WILL do this!

... a little odd in the head ...

That sailing trip sounds like a blast! When you do your workouts, you can picture yourself climbing the masts.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

wow what a 6 week challenge this is going to be for you.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Assassins' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

@mr_willes ok, so I wasn't really waiting and just went ahead and got started. :P Thanks! If you have any tips on how to keep proper form, I will gladly take them. I have no problem running thus far, but I noticed that I get a mild pain in the back of my leg after running – it seems to disappear after a light massage though. I'd hate for it to get worse. :/

@Elastigirl it really does! I am ridiculously excited about it. We should have gone last year already, but we missed out in it due to a mild hip injury on my side. Which would have been perfectly preventable if I had done any sort of physical exercise.

@Blaidd thank you! :) I am also looking forwards to the mini-quests. :D

@Revy yes, yes I do! I love it dearly and want to make it my profession. However, for some odd reason, whenever I get anxious or stressed it is the first thing that I drop. I really, really cannot explain it because it would actually help me against those and it has never felt like a chore, even when I was drawing five times a week for 5 hours every day for my portfolio. Yet, in times of stress I am incapable of getting close to a blank paper.

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

I decided to do a warm-up drawing today (and attempt to use the NerdFitness gallery). Took between 1h and 2h, done in a coffee house. It is still a bit too close to a sketch to really be considered finished, but I thought I'd still post it to start building some momentum. :)

med_gallery_36075_1651_918259.jpg

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome to the Rebellion!

My name is Amdhiel and I’m an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. I see that your challenge includes a few things that we Assassins enjoy and we’d love to help you crush your goals! 

If you want to gather some more information about the guild, stop buy the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements thread to find out what’s happening. If you want to find someone with similar interests, including body weight training and flexibility, take a look in the Assassin Phonebook.

If you want to get to know our crazy guild better or just ask a question stop by the Assassins' Den or the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread for Level 1’s and introduce yourself. We’re a friendly and supportive guild so don’t be shy about sending us messages or asking for help!

If you ever have any questions or need any help, please let me or any Assassin Ambassador know.  You can get in touch with me by posting in my challenge thread or by sending me a private message. 

The Ambassadors and I will be checking in on you from time to time to see how you’re doing. Remember that most successful path is one that includes plenty of support. You're an amazingly strong person and I know you can crush those goals!

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Ugh, so my challenge started out horribly. 

After doing my usual morning routine yesterday, I walked out to grab some coffee all excited for the challenge to begin… and immediately had an incident with wet, slippery snow. D: I am not sure exactly what I did, but not there is a slight pain in the back of my knee that feels suspiciously like bursitis. D: The pain is similar to the one from the hip bursitis I had last summer, and when I feel in the back of my knew I can feel something like a swollen ball underneath my skin. I also can't seem to figure out what exactly triggers it either, since carefully attempting to do squats caused no pain whatsoever, but kneeling sends pain all the way up my thigh. At any rate, I won't be able to see a doctor until next week, so all I can do is self-care.

Anyhow, I decided to do just the upper-body part of the BBWW, just to get screwed over by the fact that the "Free training" area of my gym (i have been going to the gym to do the BBWW to use their dumbbells) is set up in a ridiculous manner and pieces of equipment constantly get misplaced, so for instance the bank I normally do dumbbell rows had mysteriously disappeared. I tried to improvise with what I could find, just to discover that apparently, doing dumbbell rows hurts my knee as well.

At that point, I got frustrated and did 3 series of five knee push-ups and 3 x 55 second planks, then went home and put on an upper body workout video and did that one.

Luckily, I have an anti-inflammatory cream I can use for it and it's already feeling much better, but just to be on the safe side, I will just be doing upper-body workouts only this week and be setting everything else back one week, probably doing Week 2 again to avoid stressing my knee too much. My yoga routine is also on hold since it works the legs too much. I will be doing shoulder-openers instead. Meditation, drawing and speeches, however, are still on.

What is particularly frustrating is that this happened after I spent my entire Sunday C25K workout paying attention to correct form to avoid precisely this happening - running lightly, feet hitting the floor underneath the hips, proper mobility, etc. I found a bunch of drills that can be done during warm-up to correct posture, and after doing them I could feel a great difference already. But then snow had to come into place.

Anyhow, I am crossing my fingers that I will be able to jump back right into the challenge next week. :/ I will be updating my goals this weekend according to how my knee feels.

• Like 1

Yike! I'm sorry you had such a rough start to your challenge. Issues with knees can be very frustrating. Try not to let it set you back. I have problems occasionally with my right one and it gets so annoying when I can't do what I want.

How has the rest of you week turned out?

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Oh dear, come back and update us on the knee. I hope it wasn't a serious injury.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien