HeatherAllyse- Chapter 1: Exit, Blerch

StarRuby

THE QUEST: Weigh 165 lbs and continue to be 5'4" 

Losing height is an automatic FAILURE! NO SHRINKING SPELLS PERMITTED 

(that's a joke, I don't anticipate becoming magically shorter)

SMART Goals to get there:

Dietary Challenge: Drink 4 glasses of water per day (32 oz total). Do this EVERY DAY. 

Fitness Challenge: Lose 10 lbs

Dietary Challenge: No more soda or energy drinks

Lifestyle challenge: Make 5 positive self-statements per day. Write all five things down. 

Why am I doing this: My weight has always kept me from doing things I've wanted to do. I don't ask people on dates because I feel like I'm not attractive enough to pursue people. I don't audition for musicals and did not pursue acting on a serious level because I did not feel I would be cast as a person who was overweight. My body has been a source of shame and embarrassment for years and I want my body back. I don't care what shape it is in, but I want to be proud of it. I want to treat my body and myself in a way that is worthy of respect and care. 

I am doing this because I deserve this. 

I have walked through the fire, I have struggled, and I have come out charred but alive. I deserve the same degree of love, care, and self-respect as everyone else. I am worthy of doing things that will boost my self-esteem. I want to show all of my friends that getting healthy doesn't have to be a miserable, terrifying process. I want to be the person that I pretend to be when I play table top games. 

• Like 9

-S t a r . R u b y -

"I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!"

heatherallyse

str: 1, dex: 1, sta: 1, con: 3.5, wis: 3.0, cha: 1.5

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Hey, look! It's the completely awesome Battle Log I keep neglecting!

I love your motivational statement for why you want to do this. I am only 5'1", so I absolutely agree that losing height is a failure. ;)

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

hehe, I'm so glad losing height isn't a problem we need to worry about ;)  As a matter of fact I think the more weight i manage to lose the taller i get (ok not *that* tall), but i think it has more to do with my posture correcting itself cos I'm not struggling under the weight.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Adventurers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thank you!

It's super hard to be nice to yourself sometimes, especially when you've had a hard go of fitness things in the past. Then you end up in a sneaky hate spiral and all of a sudden everything you ever do is terrible and RWAAAAAR YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING GO LIVE IN A HOLE FOREVER.  

But just to make sure we're all in agreement- nobody is going to get shorter this go 'round? I have a hard enough time reaching things on the top shelf so, really, I think I need to change my motivational statement to this: 

Why am I doing this: I want to be able to reach things on the highest shelf in my kitchen, and I want to be able to easily climb on the kitchen counters to get there. 

• Like 4

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Hey! You're walking to Mordor, too! I'm super excited. One of the big, lofty goals I considered for this challenge was making it to Rivendell, but I wasn't sure if I could make it that far in six weeks. 

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

I am?

I am.

I am!

That is a hold over from my signature when I was doing that last year (complete fail, it happens) but I do have a running goal, and I do walk my dog a LOT. So I will keep it. I haven't thought about distances this time around (I still have the uber map I made of Middle Earth though to track my progress somewhere). Hrm. 458 miles to Rivendell... 10 miles a day.

That's a lot of walking. How far is it to Bree? Like 135 miles or so? That's a doable 3 miles a day, 4 miles easy (to make up any distance errors). It's 240 to Weathertop. 5.7 miles a day. That is a little more of a challenge, but probably still doable. I might shoot for Weathertop, fight me some Nazgul at the end if I make it there. A quest should end in an epic boss fight, don't cha think? Wanna go along? 

For reference, because I... well nerd moment, this made me really happy:  Bag-End to Rivendell

• Like 2

Miles walked to Mordor: 2 --> Still in the Shire

Current Challenge, Miles walked to Weathertop: 0

2014 Past Failed: Challenge

Do I want to walk to Weathertop with you?! Of course I do, adventures don't work if you split up! 

Besides, I kinda wanna get to the end of this and figure out precisely what it is I have to do to fight a Nazgul, but that's bound to be some seriously self-improving stuff. I'll admit, I think my self-improvement goals might kick my butt. It's really hard to be nice to myself sometimes, but it's nice to find people with the same struggles who also totes have it on their agenda to kick butt and take names. 

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

This is the first morning of the six week challenge and the blerch is strong with this one. 

For those of you who haven't read The Oatmeal's comic, I thoroughly recommend it. To quote Matthew Inman, "The Blerch represents all forms of gluttony, apathy, and indifference that plague my life." Over the weekend, I managed to completely fail at depleting my coke and energy drink stashes. I still have an Ol' Glory sitting in my house somewhere, and all 160 mg of caffeine called to me this morning. 

This is the conversation I had with myself

Brain: Hey, Heather?
Me: Ngggggh *rolls over and sleeps more*
Brain: You have work this morning. What time did you go to bed?
Me: *grumblegrumble* One in the morning
Brain: Man, you're going to be really tired during your workday. Maybe you should have an Ol' Glory
Me: No, brain, we're quitting Ol' Glory. 
Brain: But you're so tiiiiiiired, and the bed is so warm, and you only have fifteen minutes before you have to get out of bed and go to work. Wouldn't you like caffeinated liquid sweet tarts?

The conversation went on like this for another ten minutes, wherein I eventually rolled over and got myself out the door for work. Having time left before I had to report in, I stopped at a gas station to pick up some breakfast. I know that's gross, but I have a bad habit of eating gas station food before work because I don't really get myself out of bed in time to cook a good breakfast (suggestions welcome if anyone has any ideas how to get my butt out of bed to make nummy foodstuff). I grabbed a green tea, but felt super weird when I passed all the soda and the energy drinks. 

Ever since I decided to stop soda, it's been all I could think about. I know there has to be a point where I don't crave it, but man these next six weeks are going to be nasty. 
  • Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

What did Heather do today? 

Let me tell you what Heather did today, and I'm pretty excited about the fact that I survived today. I'm excited enough that I will, in fact, be doing CrossFit for two days in a row (because I am one of those people who can't stop talking about CrossFit. I am not ashamed.) The CrossFit saga, however, is in my battle log and thus I shan't bother you with the horrors. Suffice to say, I think if this keeps up 10 lbs in six weeks shouldn't be so bad. 

On the other fronts, I managed to drink a crap ton of water. I'm not joking, either. I drank 48 ounces of water over the course of my work day. Another 24 when I got home. I noticed that I have a bad habit of reaching for things (snacks, candy, soda, something sugary, blahblah) when I am bored at work. Instead, I made the conscious decision to drink some water instead of eating something. It turns out, I wasn't as hungry as I thought I was, I was really just wanting something to keep my mind busy. I wanted sensory input and that input was satisfied by sticking something tasty in my mouth and enjoying the flavor. Then, instead of just leaving it be, my brain kicked in to overdrive and thought "If there is food, you need to finish it. Don't waste food. Wasting food is BAD." 

The problem is, of course, that I don't need to eat things when I'm not hungry. It was interesting. 

Day two without soda has gone pretty well. No cravings yet, but I did eyeball someone's Dr. Pepper pretty hard at lunch. 

Bonus round:

FIVE THINGS THAT ARE POSITIVE ABOUT ME (to build good self esteem) 

- I am a lot tougher than I give myself credit for

- I like that I try to make good on all of my commitments

- I am proud of the fact that I am doing home remodeling projects on my own

- I've done a pretty dang good job of taking all of my medications on time and as prescribed this week

- I provide freaking awesome customer service, despite having social anxiety

And thus, a question to all who may follow: what are your five things? What are five things that are positive about you? What are you proud of?  

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Two days without soda, whoop!  A few years ago I made it 5 months, then broke down on a hot day in McDonald's.  I'll never forget how terribly acidic my stomach felt (though that didn't stop me from immediately picking up the habit again).  Good luck for Day 3!

Hooray for 5 positive things!  

• Like 1

High Wood Elf - Level 2

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge:  2.2  Past Challenges:  2.1  1        A little about me . . .

GET SMART: Put your tiny goals to the test!

For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

Q: Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

A:

Dietary Challenge: Drink 4 glasses of water per day (32 oz total). Do this EVERY DAY

I believe that this goal is completely reasonable. It isn't difficult to swap a soda with a glass of water. Drinking water is incredibly important to being adequately fueled for working out or feeling healthy. This one is just a "Do this one thing and do it well" quest. 

Fitness Challenge: Lose 10 lbs

This is a hardcore, tangible goal to get closer to being 165 lbs. Losing 10 lbs in six weeks is the equivalent of losing 1.67 lbs per week. This is within the limits of what people deign to be a safe rate of weight loss. 

new fitness subquest: Walk to Weathertop

During this challenge, I want a lot of my weight loss to be able to be centered around building up tolerance for moving long distances and not getting tired

bonus fitness subquest: Deadlift 115lbs. 3 sets of 5 reps

This isn't required during this cycle, but it is something I would like to do over the course of six weeks. I want to comfortably deadlift this much. My Battle Log lists some of my physical goals as well as my more intangible goals, so I figure by working on those goals I can reach the overarching goal of being 165lb. 

Dietary Challenge: No more soda or energy drinks

This is another "just focus on this one thing" goal. It could almost be considered a swap goal. Swap soda for water. I figure that this would be a good lifestyle change that would actually be a pretty decent effort for me. 

Lifestyle challenge: Make 5 positive self-statements per day. Write all five things down. 

I believe this quest builds towards my main goal because it will help improve my mental health as well as my self-esteem. Having a positive self-concept will help me build healthier coping mechanisms in the future that don't include crying and eating a bunch of unhealthy things. 

Share the Love subquest: Make 5 positive statements per day about fellow NF members.

Q: Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

A: I believe that all four goals are realistic, though losing 10 lbs in 6 weeks might be a little unrealistic for me given my current level of activity and my generally busy social schedule. These goals, however, are capable of being scaled. I changed what the definition of a pass was. The goal is to have all gold stars, but I will be okay if I get a bronze in one or two things. 

Q:Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?

A: Weight will be recorded in my day planner every Thursday at CrossFit using the same scale. Water consumption, miles walked, work out time will be tracked via the Argus app on my cell phone. Positive thoughts will be written in their own positive thought diary and posted online at the end of every day. 

Q: How are you grading your goals?

A: Please find below the new rubric for success and failure 

Dietary Challenge: Drink 4 glasses of water (32 oz) daily. Every day.

Scale:

+448 oz water per week: gold (“Aâ€)= Gold star

336-447 oz water per week: silver (“Bâ€)= Silver star

335-252 oz water per week: bronze (“Câ€)= Blue star

251- 168 oz water per week: honorable mention (“Dâ€)= Red star

>167 oz water per week: participant (“Fâ€)= No stars awarded

Fitness Challenge: Lose 10 lbs

Scale:

up to 10 lbs in six weeks. 5 lbs in three weeks: gold ("A")= Gold star

up to 8 lbs in six weeks. 4 lbs in three weeks: silver ("B")= Silver Star

up to 6 lbs in six weeks. 3 lbs in three weeks: bronze ("C")=  Blue star

up to 4 lb in six weeks. 2 lbs in three weeks: honorable mention (“Dâ€)= Red star

gained weight during the six weeks : participant (“Fâ€)= No stars awarded

new fitness subquest: Walk to Weathertop

walk 120+ miles in three weeks: gold ("A")= Gold star

walk 119-96 miles in three weeks: silver ("B")= Silver Star

walk 95-84 miles in three weeks: bronze ("C")=  Blue star

walk 72-83 miles in three weeks: honorable mention (“Dâ€)= Red star

bonus fitness subquest: Deadlift 115lbs. 3 sets of 5 reps

completion of goal= Red star

exceeding of goal= Blue star

Dietary Challenge: No more soda or energy drinks

Scale:

0 cheat days in two weeks: gold (“Aâ€)= Gold star

1 cheat day in two weeks: silver (“Bâ€)= Silver star

2 cheat days in two weeks: bronze (“Câ€)= Blue star

3 cheat days in two weeks: honorable mention (“Dâ€)= Red star

4 cheat days in two weeks: participant (“Fâ€)= No stars awarded

Lifestyle challenge: Make 5 positive self-statements per day. Write all five things down.

Scale:

35 positive things per week: gold (“Aâ€)= Gold star

34-28 positive things per week: silver (“Bâ€)= Silver star

27-21 positive things per week: bronze (“Câ€)= Blue star

20-14 positive things per week: honorable mention (“Dâ€)= Red star

Up to 13 positive things per week:  participant (“Fâ€)= No stars awarded

Share the Love subquest: Make 5 positive statements per day about fellow NF members.

35 positive things per week: gold (“Aâ€)= Gold star

34-28 positive things per week: silver (“Bâ€)= Silver star

27-21 positive things per week: bronze (“Câ€)= Blue star

20-14 positive things per week: honorable mention (“Dâ€)= Red star

Up to 13 positive things per week:  participant (“Fâ€)= No stars awarded

Q: What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

A: If I become ill or injured, three out of the four main goals will still be attainable, and possibly beneficial to a speedy recovery. In the event that I become injured or ill and can’t perform physical exercises, I will take the initial scale parameters and cut them in half, making them more attainable.

Q: Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

A: I did not factor in special occasions for this quest. Most of the goals can be completed throughout the day and, as a result, do not require special planning. In the event that I can not be in a situation without drinking soda, I will stick with something that is caffeine free.

Q: Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

A: Exercise is built into the end of my day from 5:30-6:30 every day. I try to exercise 3 times a week. If I can not exercise later in the day, then I can go for walks at lunch and/or exercise before work at the local YMCA. If exercise is not feasible, then I will make attempts to change my diet. The other goals are lifestyle goals that do not require additional time to make

Q: Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?

A: While weight loss is something I would like, building a healthier lifestyle will make this easier. The first challenge is being used to lay the ground work for the kinds of changes I need to make to be a healthier person both mentally and physically.

I think I gained my +1 WIS for this week's mini goal!

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

The Star System

Cash Values: 

1.00 gold  $10.00 USD

1.00 silver = $  5.00 USD

1.00 blue   = $  2.00 USD

1.00 red     = $  1.00 USD

Conversion rates: 

1.000 gold = 2.00 silver = 5.00 blue = 10.00 red

0.500 gold = 1.00 silver = 2.50 blue = 5.00 red

0.200 gold = 0.40 silver = 1.00 blue = 2.00 red

0.100 gold = 0.20 silver = 0.50 blue = 1.00 red

All the stars work as a money system. Items, treats, prizes, etc. all are assigned a star value and trading in your stars earned will allow you to win bigger and better prizes. The list of stuff you can buy with stars changes and is consistently updated. 

Generally, it follows this rule:

Over $50.00 = Costs gold

$50.00 - $35.00 = costs silver

$34.99 - $20.00 = costs blue

Under $20.00 = costs red

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Great money/star system!  I like the idea of keeping it open for you to decide what you want at the end of the challenge and cashing it in on something special.  And that you still award stars even when not making the "bottom-line" goal.  I still haven't decided on my challenge prizes, but thought about awarding the A/B/C rankings with different money amounts to buy something at the end.   :teapot:

• Like 2

High Wood Elf - Level 2

Current Challenge:  2.2  Past Challenges:  2.1  1        A little about me . . .

Great money/star system!  I like the idea of keeping it open for you to decide what you want at the end of the challenge and cashing it in on something special.  And that you still award stars even when not making the "bottom-line" goal.  I still haven't decided on my challenge prizes, but thought about awarding the A/B/C rankings with different money amounts to buy something at the end.   :teapot:

That could be cool! One of the things I like about the reward system is that it also kind of helps with budgeting? Because, like, if you have these special things as prizes at the end that you can cash in, you aren't just going to go and get them anyway. It ceases to make the prize special, ya know? 

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

What did Heather do today?

Heather forgot her water bottle at home today. That wasn't a big deal, because they do have water at work, but I have to refill all the time and I've found I'm actually pretty thirsty for most of the day. I drink water now when I'm bored and today was preeeeetty boring on the work front. 

I didn't get to walk as much today, and instead opted to take a nap in my car. I've concluded that the time I spend napping in my car would be better spent walking around outside and enjoying the day, so I think I will do that tomorrow. It'll also help get me closer to Weathertop. I've got a pretty heft deficit right now and I'm gonna have to bust tail to hit 120 in three weeks. 

Still no soda, either! I considered throwing the Ol' Glory away, but I can't bring myself to do it. I think I'll pawn it off on someone at work. Mwahahahahaaaaaa!

And now... Nice things!

FIVE GOOD THINGS ABOUT ME/WHAT I DO: total - 5

• I tried to blerch out and not go to work today, but I didn't and I went even though I was sore and didn't want to go. I'm upping my will save against the dreaded blerch! I can totally be strong and steadfast when I need to be
  • I confidently held three conversations with complete strangers today and did not panic. I'm becoming more confident in social situations and less anxious. 
  • Speaking of anxious, I have taken all of my pills on time and as prescribed for ONE WHOLE WEEK! Woop wooooop! 
  • I take good care of my pet guinea pig (it's a small thing, but small things are important) 
  • I have not lost my cell phone, keys, or day planner for a week

Bonus! Five positive things about my fellow Nerd Fitness people: total - 5

• @Gabz
    • Gabz got me excited about tackling what I was pretty sure was going to be an impossible task (walking to Mordor). It inspired me to go acquire a posse and make our own mini fellowship. 
  • @Mr_Willes
    • Seeing his daily workouts really inspired me to try and push harder in my own work outs. Seriously, those maneuvers he is pulling take dedication.
  • @JMitch
    • She is always there to say something positive and encouraging for people here. I. Freaking. Love. It. Also, she has a Batwoman icon, and you really can't get much better than Batwoman. 
  • @Illuviel
    • Fellow tea drinker! Her posts always seem like she's super in-tune with what her body needs, which I don't mean to sound creepy. She is killing it right now, even with the chronic conditions she mentioned in some of her posts. She also has some seriously badass goals. 
  • @Kirkz
    • I think that Kirkz is incredibly brave for joining Nerd Fitness. It's hard and scary to make lifestyle changes, but she laid out what she thought her problems were and completely owned up to them. That's some serious guts, and I hope to see more of her. 
  • Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

I considered throwing the Ol' Glory away, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I'm doing this with the Milanos in my desk.  Every time I open that drawer I see them and think, "Why don't I just throw these away?"  But it feels wasteful, and a little part of me wants to save them in case I have an emergency that only cookies can fix.  Plus they sort of last forever (eek), so maybe I'll eat them again in six weeks  :highly_amused:

• Like 1

High Wood Elf - Level 2

Stopping by to say I'll be following your challenge. I hear you about your weight keeping you from doing things you want to do. There's not much worse than that feeling of pretending that you'd rather not, when really you're just too large and/or too terrified. I'm really glad your goals include so much self-love. Please keep bringing it. Have loved to see the affirmations you've posted here. 

Hang in there!

• Like 2

My username is from Alice, and the queen who has believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. What the hell--let's make it seven.

I use female pronouns and masculine honorifics. So: she/hers and sir/mr. I am an (aspirationally) old-school butch, as in Stone Butch Blues (rest in power Leslie Feinberg).

I'm from Kentucky, bounced around a lot, currently living in Minneapolis.

I'm really glad to be here. :pirate:

What did Heather do today? yesterday?

Yesterday! 

Okay, so! Here is what happened yesterday. 

I have been averaging about 7 hours of sleep per night (a little less on most days, but it rounds), and I am most assuredly not an early riser. This week, I've found myself hitting my second wind around 8:30 or 9:00 once the "OMFG I'm so tired" of CrossFit has worn off on the days that I am there. So, I kept myself up way too late playing with the Unfuck Your Habitat app (Unfilth your habitat, if you want to look it up on iTunes. Unfuck your habitat if you look for it anywhere else)

My sister had some amazing breakthroughs and I got to practice jump roping- which is hard. I did not remember that this was hard. I learned how to do squats properly and much or my problem with the exercise comes from a lack of flexibility. I bend my knees too soon and end up crouching instead of squatting. Woe abounds, but! I am super proud to learn how to do this. 

Also, I did 100 sit ups. That is right, one hundred fart-knocking sit ups! I could have made it to 150 but we ran out of time and my sister and I needed to go home. When I was in high school, I could only do twenty sit ups tops. This was the first time that I managed to make it this far. I was beyond proud, because I always thought I had weak core muscles and it turns out? I am not as weak as I thought I was! I want to go home and do sit  ups now with my legs hooked through the bottom of the couch. 

Drank 56 ounces of water, to boot! There was soda in the house and I didn't even go for it. Morale is high on the soda front. 

And now, without further ado, five positive things: -5

- I have a stronger core than I thought I did.

- I successfully managed to clean the tops of my nightstands, making for a nice and tidy bed space. I am committed to making positive changes in my environment

- I have a good eye for color and decorating

- I've managed to take my medications and vitamins every day this week! 

- I am considerate of the needs of my friends

Bonus round! Five positive things about Nerd Fitness members:

• @rgbb : I love her goals! I feel like we're taking similar journeys and having someone around who has the same struggles as I do is really affirming. Also, seeing where she is has helped me try and gauge where I might want to be. 
  • @sevenimpossiblethings : When I read her motivational statement, I felt like it was really coming from a place of empowerment. Not only that, but her posts always feel really motivated and I totally dig that. Keep up the good work, sir!
  • @RandMart : Randmart doesn't know it yet, but I am sneakily studying his running skills. Not only that, but RandMart makes a lot of really awesome running inspirational posts. It helps me because, most of the time, I just plod places angrily. Reading those posts made me excited about running when I really... really wasn't feeling it. 
  • @Sovellis : Oh my buttons, archery! Sovellis is doing some really awesome things, and they're really exciting. Not only that? But his role playing posts describing the things he's done are spectacular.
  • @Noor : Speaking of spectacular writing! Noor posts some great things, and on top of being a stellar writer, I'm pretty sure there isn't a single lazy bone in that woman's body. She's hardcore committed, and I dig it. 
  • Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Good luck with the challenge. I'm just starting CrossFit (two days in) and am always excited to see what others think. I have definitely drank the Kool-Aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Level 2 Bralani Eladrin

STR 2.5 | DEX 0 | STA 5.5 | CON 2.5 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

Challenge: 1, 2

Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.

~Margaret Thatcher

Good luck with the challenge. I'm just starting CrossFit (two days in) and am always excited to see what others think. I have definitely drank the Kool-Aid.

Best of luck to you, too! I'm doing an on-ramp class right now, too, but I'm having a blast. I've found where I'm strong and places that I'm weak. Like I said in my intro post, I want to find the places I'm weak and make those my strengths. So! Uh, I guess I'm gonna be doing a lot of squats. LOL. 

I'm not doing crossfit yet but I'm really interested and will try as soon as I'm not afraid of it anymore :tongue:

I'll follow you to see how it goes :).

And congrats on your start !

Depending upon where your box is, you might find somewhere that you really enjoy. I go to the same place as my sister, and a lot of people we see in the locker rooms just kind of stare and go "Oh, wow, I could never do CrossFit, it seems so intense!" 

It isn't terribly scary. It can be intimidating, but if you end up with the right coaches for you then you'll have a lot of fun. In my experience, it's been a very positive environment. It seems scary, and at first you feel a little ridiculous because a lot of the lifts are really weird. Nobody ever taught me to really lift anything other than little hand weights, so doing these drills with a PVC pipe to make sure I had the form right felt super weird. Once your body gets used to it, though, it makes you feel pretty confident. 

I feel like CrossFit has helped me feel more confident. I always kind of felt like I was out of shape and awkward because I'm big, but then I started lifting and I felt great. It helped me find strengths that I didn't know that I had. I recommend at least trying a couple class periods. 

• Like 2

-S t a r . R u b y -

heatherallyse

Onramp is next week for me. At the box I'm going to you do a week free to decide if it's for you and than you do a foundations class which is lifts using a pvc pipe to get form

• Like 1

Level 2 Bralani Eladrin

STR 2.5 | DEX 0 | STA 5.5 | CON 2.5 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

Challenge: 1, 2

Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the high road to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.

~Margaret Thatcher