Phoenix Rising becomes a Jedi Padawan

Phoenix Rising

So my overall mission for this year is to become a Jedi Knight.  As this is my first non recruit mission that places me firmly in the Padawan category. 

For me there are three parts to this.  Firstly gaining control over my mind and being at peace with myself:  meditation, calm, practicing creativity (learning to draw and reading poetry).  Secondly gaining control over my body:  improving my diet, increasing muscle, bodyweight exercises, some weight training, yoga.  Thirdly being able to defend myself and others: unarmed self defence classes, and later more for fun than anything some kind of sword training, possibly sabre fencing. 

My first challenge as a recruit was mostly a success.  So now I’ve joined the assassins for challenge two, which will consist of:

1)   Increasing weight.  I’m 6’2†and weigh 11 stone.  My bodyfat % visually is about 10-15% and I don’t really want that to increase.  I’ve been logging my calorie intake for the last 3 months.  My weight has maintained itself and my measurements haven’t changed.  The amount of calories I eat each day naturally is significantly lower than the total daily energy expenditure calculator would suggest it should be but with no weight change over that period, or the last couple of years whilst I’ve been eating this diet without logging it, I’ve got to assume that my baseline is lower.  My macros split is poor with me almost never eating enough protein. 

So my goal for this six weeks is to track my macros daily and to achieve (i) the amount of calories I should eat or more and (ii) the amount of protein I should eat or more.  If I can manage the fat / carb split as well then that’s a bonus but I’m concentrating on the calorie total and protein total for this 6 weeks.  Aim on a rest day is for Calories:  1787.  Protein 160, Fat 83, Carbs 100.  Aim for a training day is for Calories 2335.  Protein 160, Fat 55, Carbs 300.  This should translate into weight gain if I’ve done my maths right.

2)   Increasing muscle.  I’m skinny with little muscle.  I want the planned for weight increase to be mostly muscle rather than fat.  On my last challenge I aimed for three exercise sessions a week (I managed two every week and three of 4 out of 6).  So for this challenge I’m sticking with the goal of three sessions but specifying that at least one will be weight training using either dumbbells, a kettlebell or resistance bands (which I’ve bought recently to enable this to take place).  If my shifts allow my other two sessions will be one self defence / fitness bootcamp and one bodyweight fitness bootcamp but if I can’t make those classed I’ll substitute them with another weight training session.

3)   Increasing balance.  For my first challenge I took up yoga using online videos aiming for 4 sessions a week.  It went well so for this challenge I’m aiming to achieve the crow position by the end of the challenge.  I’m not sure how realistic that is but I’ll count being able to stay in it for ten seconds or longer as success (more would be great).  I try to achieve this I’ll be practicing yoga at least 3 times a week and at the end of each session will have a go at the crow pose and hopefully by the end of the challenge I’ll manage it.

4)   Increasing creativity.  This is life goal for this challenge.  I really want to be able to draw but lack any artistic talent.  However that’s not going to stop me trying so I’ve bought a couple of learn how to draw type books and my goal is to give myself time each week to practice.  So my goal is to draw something at least twice a week. 

My plan is to log in as a minimum weekly to post results, more often if I have time.  Looking forward to Monday for launch.

• Like 4

Fitness:  Self defence, Yoga, Meditation.  As of July 16 dumbell weight training.

Other interests:  Pre hospital medicine, Role playing, Sci-fi / fantasy, Cooking, Dog.

First Challenge Second Challenge Third Challenge

Don't worry.  Managed to find how to change my badge in the profile settings.  Now if I can just work out how to insert a picture from my computer rather than the web...

• Like 3

Fitness:  Self defence, Yoga, Meditation.  As of July 16 dumbell weight training.

Other interests:  Pre hospital medicine, Role playing, Sci-fi / fantasy, Cooking, Dog.

Mmmm I'm not sure - I remember uploading my picture to NF but not how...  Anywho - good luck in your quest to increase all the things! 

Which books did you get for your creative goal?  Would you recommend any of them?  I'm dabbling in digital drawing with inkscape at the moment and hopefully will be learning some technical arty stuff at some point this year :)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Mmmm I'm not sure - I remember uploading my picture to NF but not how...  Anywho - good luck in your quest to increase all the things! 

Which books did you get for your creative goal?  Would you recommend any of them?  I'm dabbling in digital drawing with inkscape at the moment and hopefully will be learning some technical arty stuff at some point this year  :)

Thanks.  I've got a book called 'the fundamentals of drawing' by a chap called Barrington Barber.  Not sure if its good yet as I'm only about to start using it.  It starts with drawing lines, triangles, circles, then moving onto squares, still life etc.  Because that's the really 'never drawn before' stage that I'm at.

• Like 1

So the below is one of the inspirational pictures I've found for my quest.  

From a techy learning how to use these forums point I've managed to import it as a picture from the website I found it I hope.  I've no idea what size it will be and can't seem to find a way to shrink it as part of this post so just keeping my fingers crossed it isn't too huge.

becomingajediknight_swg_set_06_fd_01_by_

• Like 2

Oh, that's a great image.  I had found a few on the web before SWTOR was released as an MMO.  And I have the full size of my valkyrie as one of my screen saver images - reminds me that I am tougher than what life throws at me. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

howareyoudoing

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Wow, the weeks flown by, mainly because it's been cramped with 12 hour day shifts and actually doing things in the evening afterwards.

So have had a mix of success and less success:

Increasing muscle:  Acheived 3 work outs including one weight lifting one.

Increasing balance:  Acheived practicing yoga 3 times including crow practice.  At present I still topple straight over but it is only week 1.

Increasing weight.  This was much tougher than I thought it would be.  Just eating enough protein and calories has proved a challenge, not helped by a lack of organisation mid week and running out of pots of tuna, chicken etc.

Aim was for Protein 160g and on a rest day Calories of 1787 and on a training day of 2335.  What I managed was:

Monday P 160g, T Cal 2336 Success

Tuesday P 100g, R Cal 1886 partial success

Wed P 64g, R Cal 1578 Fail

Thurs P 123g, T Cal 2025 Fail

Friday P 125g, R Cal 1649 Fail

Sat P 143g, T Cal 1922 Fail

Sun P 138g, R Cal 2180 partial success 

Increased creativity:  hasn't happened at all.  No really good excuses, just general business and haven't set aside the time so it hasn't happened. i.e. bad planning.

So looking forward my plan for success next week is:

Exercise so be fine as shifts work out for me and I can do both my normal classes and a friend has invited me to a Les Mills Bodypump class which will count for the weights.Yoga likewise time slots arranged.  I've slotted in a couple of hours for drawing practice on Sat and Sun next week so that should ensure it takes place this time.  For food I'll be going shopping tomorrow when my night shift finishes and stocking up on the chicken and tuna, but additionally adding some peanut / seed bars that I've seen that are reasonably high in protein.  I need to order some more protein powder as I'm running low and perhaps try adding two scoops to my milk rather than one to up my protein levels.

So in summary a mixed bag this week but looking fowards to rocking this next week.

• Like 2

Yea, getting that much protein can be a big challenge - especially if you don't want to spend a fortune!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

howareyoudoing

Some sort of Jedi .....

So this week, exercise a success with self defence combat bootcamp, a fitness bootcamp and body pump.  Yoga less so having managed only one session, I had the opportunities to fit the yoga in but chose other things instead each night, I need to work on my motivation.  I think I'm going to leave my yoga mat sitting out and I've searched youtube and found a selection of yoga videos that I quite like the look of and am looking forward to having a go at.  Should be able to report improvement in this next week.  Art is an improvement on last week having sat down and done some drawing for one evening but not as good as I was planning for.

Food:  

Monday Succeeded with protein and calorie targets

Tuesday missed both targets

Wednesday Succeeded with both targets

Thursday missed both targets

Friday made the calorie target but not the protein one

Saturday made the calorie target but not the protein one (managed 134g so not far off)

Sunday, not completed yet.

So an improvement on last week in the food stakes.  

Overall a somewhat disappointing week but looking forward to a better one next week.

• Like 1

why is your motivation down for the yoga I wonder - are you doing poses that you don't enjoy as much as before? or feeling tired/short of time?

Good concise report on the food, you're doing pretty well and the main achievement really is that you are tracking!

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

Hi Ocelot,

It's difficult to get my head round the lack of yoga motivation.  I did a 30 days of yoga online thing from Yoga with Adriene and pretty easily managed yoga every day really enjoying it and looking forward to seeing what the next days yoga session held.  I think part of the lack of motivation is due to picking the yoga sessions rather than them being a surprise new one each day.  Partly it's also that I've been busier with overtime from work and a couple of extra hours jobs that I do on the side plus being at Uni once a fortnight, but if I was really motivated I could fit in the yoga sessions still.  I've decided to pick some yoga sessions that are 15 mins each to try to get back into the swing of it.

Today I've achieved my exercise target for the day.  My self defence class was cancelled due to instructor illness so I've done a session of kettle bell exercises from the Simple and Sinister book instead.  Managed my calorie target for yesterday but not the protein.  For tonight success on the protein front, but about 500 off the calorie target.  Can't really face any more food just before bed so will settle for that.  

Going to put down the computer and do a 15 minute yoga session instead now.

• Like 1

Yoga vids I'd picked turned out to be aerobics on a yoga mat rather than yoga. Completed but disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekly update:

Exercise success: Weights, Bodycombat and more weights sessions

Yoga:  2 sessions of yoga, not the three I'm aiming for but I'm struggling with motivation for yoga at present.  

Art:  2 sessions of practicing drawing so success there.

Eating:  Monday calorie and protein success.  Tuesday calorie and protein success, Wed calorie success, protein fail, Thursday calorie success and protein fail, Friday calorie success and protein fail, Saturday calorie success and protein fail.

So improvement on the eating front as managed to eat more calories throughout the week and though not making my protein target for the majority of days I wasn't far off on many of them.  Exercise is going well and I've got three sessions booked in for next week already, art is also going fine, so its just the yoga where I need to refocus my attention.

• Like 1

Good job with the progress!!  I have trouble getting enough protein too.  Are you using protein powder shakes?

Some sort of Jedi .....

Yes, whey protein in milk. Chocolate flavour tastes ok. I've just bought some strawberry as well so will try to increase to two shakes a day. As I'm pretty close most days that should do it.

• Like 1

So far I've got all my exercise in this week.  One session of yoga done, still two days left so should be fine to complete, likewise with being artistic.  My plan to eat lots has kind of gone to pot mainly because I've been distracted with house hunting all week.  Very frustrating so far, got a couple more to see beginning of next week so fingers crossed something there will be what we are looking for.

Monday failed protein and calories.  Same Tuesday.  Wednesday failed protein, passed calories.  Thursday failed both. Today currently failing both, but plan to at least manage protein by the end of the night.  Off to eat more protein.

Good luck on house hunting.  I think it's even worse than job hunting - which is saying something.

I've never been a fan of strawberry flavored anything, but I can see how even chocolate might get old after a while, although, that does sound like sacrilege ....

chocolate-funny.jpg

Some sort of Jedi .....

Thanks, am currently job hunting as well as house hunting so as you can imagine a whole bundle of unhelpful stress. Happily I have an ok job just looking to move to a new one with new challenges. I find I get bored after about a year or so doing the same thing.

This weekend I passed my combat academy level one grading. It's a self defence group. I'm really pleased, gives some concrete evidence that my fitness is improving even if I still mainly look skinny and unmuscular.

As well as managing the self defence moves and takedowns I managed a gauntlet course involving 20 push ups, 30 sit ups, 30 burpees (3x10), 50 squats as well as some tyre dragging, slam balling, and sand bag swinging.

Nine months ago when I started out I'd have almost passed out during the warm up let alone passed the course and been out of breath but not completely dead.

Having said that the next day I'm struggling to fully straighten my arms due to the DOMs and my knees look very bruised. Couldn't be happier though.

Off to house view today followed by night shifts.

• Like 2

proud-of-you-i-am-thumb.jpg

Isn't it great to look back and realize how very far you have come??

Some sort of Jedi .....

Ugggh. So this last week I've achieved nothing. I did three 12 hour night shifts Monday to Wed which took up the whole time then came done with a viral infection so I've been still working my 12 hour day shifts but pretty much collapsing once I get home and sleeping (when not sitting up in bed coughing in the middle of the night). So complete fail on all tasks since last Monday. Still lost my voice at present, last day shift today then 2 days off to try to recover properly.

Hydrate and rest!!!  Since you have so much on your plate with work (what an insane schedule), stick to hitting the basics: sleep, water, and eating as healthily as you can manage.  Can someone bring you soup???

Some sort of Jedi .....