Nianne eats crickets.

Nianne

Glad to hear you are feeling better!  

Those shoes sound neat.  I have fallen arches and need supports to keep injuries away (found this out the hard way) since I am on my feet so much.  Are these shoes the type you can add inserts (really need arch support)?  My husband said he wants to start sprinting again and as it appears that the weather broke we are talking about starting our Saturday morning family tennis time.  We do not play the actual game but have fun smacking the balls around.  :)  There is a killer hill not far from there and I want to try some barefoot sprints up it too for fun and to see if I can strengthen my feet some.  Anyway those shoes would be a nice second pair in the future for some runs/walks (thinking of when doing sprints with husband and perhaps family walks).

Those posture exercises look great.  I started to think how they could be used as part of a warm up for cool down for strength training.  Might have to print them out.  Some days my posture is good and other days I definitely let it slide.  I have noticed that when I start having different aches and pains it is pretty much always related to poor posture I was maintaining sitting or standing.  Do you have that happen?

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Sorry haven't kept up in a while.  Surprised you haven't reported back on the crickets yet!  Nice solid pair of shoes.  I loved Born to Run, definitely a hard book to put down and go to sleep.  The two times I tried cooking with cucumbers left me unsatisfied, so the time you did good with them you added them like a minute before done or so?

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

The posture exercises make a great component to a warm-up or cool-down. I especially like them after doing chest exercises like pushups, because they really open up your chest.

I do have a lot more aches and pains when I let myself have weak posture. I find the best fix for me is to focus on "reaching for the sky with the top of my head," in order to extend my spine a bit as often as I can remember it throughout the day. If I can think of that pretty regularly, everything hurts less and feels more natural.

• Like 1

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

With the cucumbers, yeah, I just added them and then basically stirred them in and turned off the heat. That's the same way I do if I'm adding green onions to my egg scramble.

About the crickets, I know, I know! I have this problem of getting over-ambitious about projects I'm going to do and then not finding the time and energy to do them. I really will get started with that this week. For real!

• Like 1

Weekend three recap (Sat & Sun), Nianne gets back into it gradually

On Saturday morning I thought I would start off really slowly on the exercises, but actually I was feeling pretty fresh so after breakfast (leftovers of the fried potatoes o'brien I made for my hubby on his way to work) I went out to the start point where I do my rowing and I did a full sequence of 4 sets of ten rows interspersed with various warmups and balancing exercises. The weather was a bit windy and rainy, but at 54 degrees F it was really not unpleasant. Just invigorating. I had my new shoes on, which I'm still having a lot of fun with. I ran carefully for about a mile and then I stopped to do my kung fu, which I had to be careful with because these shoes have less tread and the ground was a little slick. Then I jogged back and did another 4 sets of 10 rowing with more posture exercises and cool-downs. This was about a half-mile farther than I'd gone with the new shoes before, and I can definitely tell there's parts of my calves that are getting a major workout. If I set myself for a five mile run in these, I'd probably end up limping home or calling someone for a ride.

After that, I put my regular running shoes on and went for my Saturday walk.

For lunch I had my favorite spinach soup and a smoothie. I was sortof regretting the potato breakfast -- I've definitely eaten too much heavy carbs the last few days. Then I laid around watching Star Trek and hanging out with my cockatiel until Nick came home. We had chicken masala for dinner (made with lemongrass-marinated chicken, onions, and paneer cheese -- that's an Indian cheese with a texture similar to tofu that's meant to be cooked with as a sort of meat substitute, and it's totally delicious).

On Sunday I didn't go for my Sunday run because I'd gone the day before. Instead I did "housecleaning party day" to make up for the fact that I'd done almost no cleaning for a week. There were dishes EVERYWHERE. Not even kidding about that. So, pretty much all day I cleaned the kitchen and the living room and the bedroom, then I took stock of what was in the fridge and went shopping. I'm going to try to be a bit more frugal with our grocery budget, so I planned carefully for the week ahead. I also made a big pot of veggie soup with carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, celeriac, and leftover rotisserie chicken, which could serve for a dinner or two as well as lunches. I munched my way through my spinach soup and a smoothie for brunch. When Nick got off work in the afternoon we went out for a late lunch and I ordered a salad with chicken, cranberries, apples, candied walnuts, and a vinegar dressing. So good! (Not very frugal.) Then we had my veggie soup for dinner!

Score for two days: +6 meals, +2 sleep, +2 exercise

• Like 1

Here's an observation.

I'm not very happy with the way I've done my food goal this challenge. I thought it was a good idea, but I find myself eating way more junk food than I wanted to. Apparently I can keep running even when it's not a goal, because I have so much fun with that, but I can't (or don't) really keep abstaining from treats if it's not a goal. I just have such a hard time resisting.

Right now I'm at 53/63 possible meals during the first three weeks, which is also less than I was hoping. For now what I'm going to do is challenge myself to go back fully to the "no wheat, no dessert" goal I had last challenge, and for every day I accomplish this perfectly I'll give myself one bonus meal point. Hopefully that will help me get back to eliminating these things, which are just so tempting, even though I don't really like how they make me feel. I will keep looking for ways to accomplish a more complete adherence to the three good meals a day rule as well.

• Like 1

Last challenge that goal really did work well for you.  Treats have started to creep in more for us too.  Hey as long as I am hungry then it is okay but I need to reign it in as well.  Shoot we had flaming peeps on Sunday (think smores but instead of igniting a regular old marsh mellow my husband uses his mini torch and sets the peeps ablaze on top of the chocolate) and that was after having a cupcake on Saturday.

I make an okay spinach soup.  How do you do yours?

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

W4D1, Nianne makes Monday a great day.

Breakfast: spinach soup and a smoothie.

This was my first work day after recovering from that cold, so when I went to do some morning pushups I found I could only do 25 in a row (as opposed to the 40 at once I did a week earlier). I didn’t give up, though. I kept going back to it throughout the morning and I made it up to 150 pushups by late morning, along with my regular complement of stretches and such. In the afternoon I switched to planking and made two sets of planking for 1:30 each.

Lunch was some of my vegetable soup, followed by chips and cheese which happened to be in the break room, followed by a chocolate cookie that happened to be there as well. This was the point when I decided I needed to re-evaluate my challenge goals.

After work I stopped at my little spot on the way home and did another mile and a half on my new shoes. Then I went home and did my kung fu while cooking steak and salad for dinner. I wrapped up my exercise day almost 12 hours after it started with a plank that I held for 2:53, my longest one for this challenge, bringing me up to almost six minutes total for the day.

I haven’t been commenting on it every day, but I’m getting better at getting to bed on time. In fact, some days I’ve been getting started even half an hour earlier, just as a natural adaptation to getting up more consistently in the mornings.

Score: +3 meals, +1 sleep, +1 exercise

• Like 1

Flaming peeps! Bless my soul!!

Scary part is this was my daughters creation and we all giggle as we make them.  Really really good and sooooooooooo much fun!  Whenever you can use a torch in cooking it has to be fun.

Great to hear about the sleep and your day overall.  Break rooms can be tricky to navigate.  I know where not to look for things since the person I share a space with has it loaded with soda, cream cakes, nutty bars, and a myriad of other treats that are tempting when having a rough time and she keeps reminding me to help myself.  

Killer exercise day!  Way to go with not getting frustrated with your push ups and wow, great job on the planks.

Awesome job on the planks!  I know for me long planks have a huge mental component in addition to the shaking, does this seem to be getting easier or start later as you work on them?

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

During my last challenge, I did do enough practice that the "easy" part extended through the first two minutes. I do start shaking pretty early on, but it would stay at a controlled level for longer and longer as I practiced.

Absolutely, the mental component is huge. Every time I made a breakthrough of more than 20 seconds at once, it was due to yet another way of looking at the exercise, or at the moment, or at myself or my life.

W4D2 - W4D4, Nianne gives up wheat (again).

I've finally gotten better at getting to bed on time. (Meeting the goal I stated at the end of the second week.) And the giant pot of veggie soup I made certainly helped in getting in my three healthy meals a day.

I found it more difficult than I thought to go back to not eating wheat, though. On Tuesday morning I went out for my early run like I've been doing. Stretching, rowing, running, deadhangs and kung fu, then running back and doing more rowing and stretching before hitting the car. I wore my old shoes because I wasn't sure I could go so far in my new ones. I emulated my new stride for a while, but I did find the need to take a break from it now and then along the way.

I did everything right that day until after dinner, when I experienced actual anxiety over the idea that I might not be eating any bread today. That was unusual and unexpected. I put it off for a while, but eventually I caved in, resolving to keep working toward the goal.

On Wednesday I didn't even make it through my lunch break. I ate my soup -- with a biscuit and an apple tart. Darn pastry box, why are you so delicious! I stopped on the way home after work and did a short run (mile and a half) in my new shoes. This distance is starting to seem easier with the new stride. I can now go through the whole way without being preoccupied about how far it is.

On Thursday I went morning running once again (making this a pretty solid habit). And finally, I made it through the day with no wheat!

I haven't had any particular desire to go back since then, either.

Score for three days: +10 meals (one bonus on Thursday), +3 sleep, +3 exercise.

• Like 1

W4D5, Nianne turns in notice at her job

On Thursday night I went to bed on time, but then I laid in bed awake for literally eight hours thinking about my job. It's been getting worse and worse, and the next day was my friend's last day at work. Life was going to be 100% harder without her.

Then I went to work in the morning and started sorting out what belonged to me and what didn't. Sometimes when someone turns in notice, the managers send them away early instead of risking that they would mess around and cause problems during their last days (you get paid for those days anyway). Then in the afternoon I asked the managers to meet me in a private room, I said my piece, and let them know that I was turning in notice. They were like, *shrug,* "Okay." They didn't send me away early, though.

Whatever.

I ate well on Friday, but I didn't get any exercise. Nick's been really supportive for the last couple months. He knew this might be coming. He's a little worried about the budget, but I'm betting I can make it work, and my resume's pretty good, so I don't expect the down time to become a permanent situation. Just a little break between jobs.

Score: +4 meals (one bonus), +1 sleep, no exercise

• Like 1

Weekend Four Recap

On Saturday I went out for a little jog early in the morning. I did some rowing and I increased my new-shoes distance to about 2.5 miles, which felt fine. It was really gorgeous outside. I've definitely noticed my balance improving with the regular practice, both from the kung fu and from the balance exercises that I've kept out of last challenge's scout mini.

The Beginning of Spring

Afterwards I went for my regular Saturday walk, did the shopping, and worked in the kitchen. I marinated a pork shoulder for my first ever attempt at making pulled pork. I felt a little antsy about the big change in my life, but Nick reminded me to think positive, and we spent a nice evening together. We actually wound up staying up too late. Whoops! That ended a nine-day streak in my bedtime practice. Well, I've got time to top that before the end of the challenge.  :)

On Sunday we hung out together as well, talking, exploring our neighborhood, and watching movies. I threw the pork in the oven and left it there for five hours. It came out fantastically, aside from the fact that it had too much salt. Live and learn. We got at least three meals' worth of meat for less than one of our average, though, so that's good. I did let myself have a soda with dinner, so I didn't get a bonus point this day, but I still haven't been bothered by giving up wheat.

Pulled Pork

Pulled Pork Dinner One

I'm writing this on Sunday evening. I was thinking I'd get some exercise tonight, but it's getting late so I guess I won't be. Off to bed on time though!

Score for two days: +7 meals, +1 sleep, +1 exercise.

Hey. Turned in your notice huh? Good.

Your balance is getting better, that's fantastic. I've been slowly working on my hip/lower back stabilizing muscles so hopefully my balance will improve this spring as well.

Sounds like your new shoes and your new stride are working out well. Great.

I'm happy to hear that you and your beau have been spending some good time together. He seems like a really great influence in your life. Keep cooking and living the good life.

Cheers

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Wow lots of changes.  Work has been such a pain lately for you.  The root of most of your stress.  Good for you.  

That pork looks delicious.  Anytime you can stretch an item like that it is a win for sure.   Getting in lots of good workouts and no wheat.  Nice.  Do you notice a difference with how you feel without wheat?

Keep kicking butt!

• Like 1

W5 recap, Nianne faces the unknown, eats crickets.

This week went by in a bit of a blur. I stayed active for the most part, but it was less jogging and more walking, and I haven’t been pushing it as hard on the strength exercises. Still working on them, but I just haven’t had the fight in me to push it to the limit. I’ve been keeping up with the eating veggies with every meal, basically repeating the same things I’ve been eating for the past month. I only had any dessert on two days out of the seven, and I’ve still stayed away from fast food altogether. Doing good on that. I was also doing really good on the sleep goal for a while – until I actually caught up all my sleep debt and started waking up earlier than usual. Then I gradually started staying up later again. Oops. I’ve proved that it can be done though, and it felt really good to get the extra sleep, so I’m going to keep working on that.

Nick, my hubby, is still being super nice and supportive. I’ve applied to five jobs so far, one of which I think I have a really good shot at. Even if I stay out of work for a while, though, things should be okay. (And I sure wouldn’t find having the time to work on my house and stuff.)

I finally opened up the crickets and cooked with them! I decided to start with a savory recipe instead of what I think of as the stereotypical one, which is cookies. I got a recipe for broccoli fritters, and since I hadn’t made them before, I divided it in half and added the powdered crickets to half the batter.

The first thing I was worried about was that I’d heard crickets have a strong odor, but I didn’t find it that way. They do have a little bit of their own smell, but not the level that would carry into another room. In fact, they smelled considerably less strongly than the brand new bottle of olive oil that I opened at the same time. They have a little bit of a dusty smell, and oddly, they smell a little bit like a roasted bean, like coffee or chocolate. Maybe adding chocolate to them and working them into a strongly-flavored cookie is actually smarter than I thought.  

I’m glad I made the control batch of fritters, because the recipe I had was no good. The fritters wouldn’t hold together at all, and I wound up with a bowl full of tasty broccoli crumble. I mean, it tasted fine, but not what I was expecting.

The crickets version turned out a little grey in color, which wasn’t quite as appetizing, and the texture was a bit more grainy. Nothing inedible about them, but clearly not the right recipe.

Next time, cookies it is!

Score for seven days: + 26 meals (5 bonus), +5 exercise, +5 sleep

• Like 2

I'm still having fun with my new shoes. The muscles along the outside of my calves that control heel landing are no longer coming to their limits after a couple miles, but I'm still going really slow with the increases in distance. I don't want a repeat of the bursitis I had before. At the same time, I'm also finding myself picking up my knees more and getting more work out of my upper legs in general. Coupled with the fact that the weather has been simply gorgeous here, going for a jog has often the best part of my day lately.

• Like 2

Yay you tried crickets!  I was wondering how to use cricket flour (how it impacts recipes specifically) and from what I saw it was used a lot in baked goods but then I saw it popping up in soups.  You can add some powder to different soups to up the protein.  

That is awesome to hear how the shoes are working out.  Very cool indeed.  

Oh, I never thought of using it in a soup. I tend to make clear soups, so I'm not sure that would blend in, but some kind of thickened stew might be fantastic.

I saw recipes adding them to chili (although I think it was or the whole critter) and I think lentil soups.  Try adding a tsp to a soup and see how that impacts it.  I bet they would work great in a simple broccoli soup.  Broccoli is a strong enough flavor and if you puree it all together it should be good.  I cook up broccoli with veg stock, onion, tumeric, garlic, oregano, and then puree it all together.  When eating I add curry sometimes and a tbs of sour cream or greek yogurt to it to make it creamy and extra delicious. 

So cool you are trying cricket flour.