Naxius gets more INT.

Naxius

Yesterday' goals:

Meditation: no

Brush+floss: yes

Lumosity: no

I did do a thing on my thesis, though! Finished re-drawing all of the line structures. It was tedious, but I had alcohol XD Yep, I'm falling back into old habits again. I figured that since I work on the thesis much better when I have a few drinks (no joke, I was totally an alcoholic when I made the bulk of my progress on the thesis last year) I figure it might be worthwhile to use this poor-yet-effective strategy once again since I'm so close to the end. My alcohol tolerance is also a lot lower now, so I'll need less. I also know that I can stop cold turkey once it's done because I've done it before.

Also, after the surgery I'm going to get in a few months I won't be able to drink for 3 to 6 months, so what the hell, I'm going to have a few drinks here and there right now. Oh, and in the Smarter book that I'm currently reading, it states that, according to Lumosity data pooled from about 40 million subscribers, people who have 1 or 2 drinks daily have the highest scores, so there! Another book I once read also stated that psychopathy and creativity go hand-in-hand because it takes creativity to rationalize shitty behavior, buuuut I digress :)

Tonight I will try to do another thing on my thesis. Probably writing, or making sure that all the non-spectra parts are taken care of. Tomorrow will be a massive rush because I'll be busy all day. Then days off, wheee!

Re. the shit-show argument: It was more of a case of closed-mindedness from one family member (the other is more open about things, brought up a thing while everyone was in the same room, and then BOOOOOOMM -_-) And I will indeed remember that about your liquor cabinet! There's a chance I might have to go to Halifax in a few months, actually.

How is our common goal going?

I'm done. People are correcting it and I will print it on Monday.
Did you already send your thesis in?

this actually ended up being motivating :P

I'm aiming to have it all (re)submitted by Friday, because I don't want to have that thesis shit hanging over my head when I start my new job.

TO THE WRITING LAPTOP! Also, I wish you very little red marks on your thesis once you get it back from the reading committee.

• Like 1

Subb'd to follow this challenge!

Awesome for the new job - we expect excited posts after your first day or two, I hope you understand that.

Tired is not conducive to doing things.  Fact.

*hugs* for the argument with family :(  That sucks, and I hope things improve.  If you were in Australia, I'd offer my comfy chair and sorry excuse for a spare mattress if you needed it, but I expect airfares from Canada may make it not worth it.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the challenge!  You'll kill it - especially once you've got thesis out of the way.  I know how much of a time suck they can be...

• Like 2

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Last few days:

Brush + floss: yes

I did get some progress done on the thesis, though. Little bit by little bit, I am creeping closer to the end! I need to go to campus today to use the NMR computer. I just hope I can find all mah files. I want to have all this fuckery done by Friday ideally.

My quests are somewhat falling by the wayside, but oh well. It wouldn't be the first time that a life quest takes everything over. Worse case scenario: quests 1 and 3 will be a 4-week challenge instead of a 6-week challenge. As for quest 2 of brushing and flossing, I seem to be doing all-right. I was going to skip it last night, but it just felt so...wrong to not do it!

Subb'd to follow this challenge!

Awesome for the new job - we expect excited posts after your first day or two, I hope you understand that.

Tired is not conducive to doing things.  Fact.

*hugs* for the argument with family :(  That sucks, and I hope things improve.  If you were in Australia, I'd offer my comfy chair and sorry excuse for a spare mattress if you needed it, but I expect airfares from Canada may make it not worth it.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the challenge!  You'll kill it - especially once you've got thesis out of the way.  I know how much of a time suck they can be...

Hooray! And yes there will definitely be excited posts after the first few work days XD

Tiredness is...slowly leaving, I think. I only have one more 5:30 AM shift. ONLY. ONE. MORE. I can't wait to never get up for 5:30 again. Unless it's for gym, because gym is actually fun. Except for the stationary bike. The stationary bikes can burn in hell. So can the rowing machine, actually. Am I still sore to the point of "OMG SITTING HURTS" from rowing 2 days ago and biking yesterday? Possibly >_>

But yeah, I've been sleeping more lately, and being more tired as a result. I don't even know. I'm guessing I'll start to feel better gradually in the near future as my sleep/wake cycle becomes normal again, though. Next challenge I might even try to cut my caffeine consumption in half! Wait no. That would still be like 4 coffees per day. Cut it in 4. There we go. And count calories like freaking crazy, because I'm assuming that going from a highly physical job to a desk job will not be conducive to the ripped abs I want to have. And then surgery and not being able to gym and...yeah D:

Right. CURRENT CHALLENGE. BBL, need to thesis.

No additional arguments since the last one, which is great. I will keep this in mind if I ever (have enough money to) visit Australia XD NF meetups, go go!!

• Like 1

I'm glad that you're focusing on your thesis, I know that it seems like it's hanging over your head and you just want it over with.

I count my calories everyday because 2/3 of the time I'm sitting on my flat ass staring at computer screens. I use www.loseit.com a free app that you can (and I do) use on your smart phone and desktop, I'm never without it. It's a simple app, that does the math for you and even has a barcode reader for those times you grab a protein bar.

Ah sleep... that's a hard one to get sorted out, hope the new job allows you to form healthier habits in this area.

Good to hear that there hasn't been any more arguments since the last one, I think everyone's tempers are a little frayed being house bound this winter.

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

Skipped all goals yesterday because of celebratory alcohol, and my mouth felt gross this morning because of said alcohol and not brushing/flossing. What was I celebrating? A burst of progress on the thesis! I've also emailed my supervisor re. the tiny little things that still need to be done. It's close. It's so, so close...

I drink more now because I'll probably have to stop drinking again once I start my new job. I'll have so much less calories to play around with when I'm sitting for 8h a day :( The cleaning/breakfast job did have a few perks, like coffee on tap 24/7, and the ability to eat whatever the fuck I wanted whenever I wanted because I'd work it off.

Life Quest 1 stuff:

Mom routinely brings up the surgery thing now, almost always in a nagging manner. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. On the positive side, I get nagged a whole lot worse for many things, like leaving the Keurig machine empty or not hanging up my coat on the correct coat hook, so this might mean that she's slowly getting used to the fact that booblessness is a thing I'm 100% serious about. On the negative side, her bringing this up more often while dad is around is just a spark for more arguments, although no more have happened so far.

Tonight's goal: email the lady from the clinic to remind her that I'm still thinking about a potential surgery date. I mentioned this during the phone consultation, but it can't hurt to send a progress report/reminder. I'm thinking in the late end of May, because East Coast Comic Expo is on May 15 and I don't want to miss it ;P

Life Quest 2 stuff:

I have slowly been decluttering in the last few days, if not weeks. Clothes were sorted, given to friends, and whatever was not wanted is currently in a bag and ready to be sent to goodwill. I anticipate my newly freed space will be used for cosplay projects and meditation or yoga by family to put other junk in while other rooms of the house get renovated :|

• Like 1

It appears that I was celebrating with you last night and I didn't even know it! <g> I've found with this super cold and snowy winter I've been drinking more at night since I've felt so house bound/cabin fever, hopefully spring is on it's way.

Life Quest 1. Will this new job allow you to get your own place or is that still not in the cards? I had to move back with my folks for a period when I was around your age due to $, and they still treated me like a kid. It made things tense from time to time.

Maybe your Mom keeps bringing up the issue so she can convince herself that it's real, trying to make herself immune to the shock of it? You never know, she might be having this discussion with herself even when she's home alone.

Heck, what do I know, I'm just an outside looking in.

Have a great weekend, I'll probably will be celebrating with you tonight as well <g>.

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

On the topic of missing blue socks... I found out recently that washer/dryers actually DO EAT SOCKS.  My front-load washer has been failing recently with this weird error code during the spin cycle.  One of the troubleshooting tips online was to pull open the rubber seal and check for socks that have gotten in there and covered the drainage pipe.  Sure enough, I opened it up and there was one of those little bra pad thingies that always seem to be in my bathing suits!  So um.. if you think you're missing a sock, it might not be because of the cat.

It was not unlike this picture:

5426338559_aba1b4c27c.jpg

• Like 1

(______ <\-/> ______)     Faille | Level 3 Elf Ranger/Druid

/_.-=-.\| " |/.-=-._\     [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx78%--]
    /_   \(o_o)/    _\      STR 4.75 | DEX 7.75 | STA 8.75 | CON 11.5 | WIS 15.25 | CHA 8.75
     /_ /\/ ^ \/\ _\
      \/ | / \ | \/        
Current Challenge | #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6
        /((( )))\           My Battle Log
  jgs __\ \___/ /__
     (((---' '---)))

Whole 30 Progress - Complete!!  1/5/2015 - 2/3/2015 -  Meal Plan

Comic Con Countdown - Goal 155 lbs, 7 to go
0%
0%

It appears that I was celebrating with you last night and I didn't even know it! <g> I've found with this super cold and snowy winter I've been drinking more at night since I've felt so house bound/cabin fever, hopefully spring is on it's way.

Life Quest 1. Will this new job allow you to get your own place or is that still not in the cards? I had to move back with my folks for a period when I was around your age due to $, and they still treated me like a kid. It made things tense from time to time.

Maybe your Mom keeps bringing up the issue so she can convince herself that it's real, trying to make herself immune to the shock of it? You never know, she might be having this discussion with herself even when she's home alone.

Heck, what do I know, I'm just an outside looking in.

Have a great weekend, I'll probably will be celebrating with you tonight as well <g>.

Hooray for celebrating! Last night I had 1/4 of a bottle of wine. This makes me realize that I still have a loooooooong way to go to make it back to where I was in terms of alcohol tolerance ;P In other words, it'll never happen.

The new job will allow me to have my own place eventually, yeah. Not in the first year or so, though, mainly because I'd like to pay off my student loan ASAP :P If I get evicted, though, I won't be out on the street since I'll at least have a decent job.

Mom will forever treat me like a kid, even though she offers me alcohol all the time. It's just one of those things that I accept...and ignore lol. I actually don't mind when she brings up the thing in conversation since we can actually talk about it, and I agree with what you're saying about why she might be bringing it up. I just wish she wouldn't bring it up while dad is in the same room because that's when shit tends to hit the fan x_x

Ah Crap!!! Hey kiddo, check your dryer ok, I'm missing a blue sock?

On the topic of missing blue socks... I found out recently that washer/dryers actually DO EAT SOCKS.  My front-load washer has been failing recently with this weird error code during the spin cycle.  One of the troubleshooting tips online was to pull open the rubber seal and check for socks that have gotten in there and covered the drainage pipe.  Sure enough, I opened it up and there was one of those little bra pad thingies that always seem to be in my bathing suits!  So um.. if you think you're missing a sock, it might not be because of the cat.

It was not unlike this picture:

5426338559_aba1b4c27c.jpg

Sonofa...okay, I have to check this now. Also, the sock in the picture has the exact same pattern as one of the pairs of socks I have. Now I wonder how many swallowed socks were inside the belly of the old washing machine when it got taken away by the delivery guys. R.I.P. for real now, socks :(

The new washer is a top-loader and doesn't have the big-ass peg in the middle, so that one will likely eat none of my things, but the dryer...I'll have to keep an eye on that pesky dryer. It even plays a cheerful little tune once it's done spinning, rather than the aggravating BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ that the old one used to make. Probably to lull users (and socks) into a false sense of security.

• Like 2

Oh right. I was going to post another thing today and completely forgot. I have to review a document for the new job by Monday, and it's all written in legalese and...ugh. I probably don't HAVE to do it, but I feel like I should anyway because I asked the boss if there was anything I should read up on when I had the interview, and he mentioned that document within like 0.5 seconds.

Maybe I can count memorizing legal crap as being +INT in some way. Or +INT for flexing the memorization muscles. I mean, fuck, I used to be a pro at memorizing shit in my first 3 years of university.

EDIT: so I don't spam my own thread too much.

Thesis to-do list:

- print out the page(s) with the re-drawn structures

- Do the IR spectra shit with the re-drawn structures (resize, copy, PDF)

- spectral BS on the computer

- Go over the rest of the minor corrections BEFORE TUESDAY MORNING SERIOUSLY DO IT

- Meet with supervisor Tuesday morning (park out of the way to avoid getting a ticket)

- Contact co-supervisor about the thing with the other spectra? Do we even need it?

- Print that shit out and send it all in to the examining committee

- Make ppt slides

- CRAM AND PANIC

- DEFEND

- DRINK TO THE POINT OF BLACKING OUT

• Like 1

How is ist going?

I am stuck between the first 2 of this:

- Make ppt slides

- CRAM AND PANIC

- DEFEND

- DRINK TO THE POINT OF BLACKING OUT. Not for me.-

I have exactly 48 hours left until I defend. *panic*

And I feel like I know nothing...

Are you in for a final sprint? =)

• Like 1

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Weekends over kiddo, time to get back to work. <g>

Are you ready for your meeting tomorrow (Tuesday), is there anything we out here are do to help out (call in a bomb threat <g>)

Did you review the document for the new job? When does that start or did you already?

Have a great week three.

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

How is ist going?

I am stuck between the first 2 of this:

- Make ppt slides

- CRAM AND PANIC

- DEFEND

- DRINK TO THE POINT OF BLACKING OUT. Not for me.-

I have exactly 48 hours left until I defend. *panic*

And I feel like I know nothing...

Are you in for a final sprint? =)

Oh shiiiiiiit, YOU'RE ALMOST DONE! You can do it! How go the .ppts? The cramming? Totally cheering you on!

I am mostly in for the final spirnt. I only have free time to thesis-sprint on Tuesdays and Thursdays now. And possibly evenings now that I no longer have to work bullshit hours.

Weekends over kiddo, time to get back to work. <g>

Are you ready for your meeting tomorrow (Tuesday), is there anything we out here are do to help out (call in a bomb threat <g>)

Did you review the document for the new job? When does that start or did you already?

Have a great week three.

The meeting with my supervisor went well. I also seem to be a little less anxious about...everything? I'm not exactly sure what the reason is (although I have many ideas) but I'm going to ride the happy wave for as long as I can. I know it'll crash right before defense time lol!

I started the new job yesterday (it's Monday, Wednesday, and Friday right now--part time for the probation period) and it's a wonderful change of pace. I never thought paper work would be such a breath of fresh air. The atmosphere there is also very relaxed, and a lot of my co-workers are into Yoga and probably meditation, too. THIS MEANS I MIGHT BECOME BETTER AT IT! Hooray! Positive influences!

Tomorrow will be filled with filing, I think. Oh well. Way better than mopping.

I approve of that to-do list.  That to-do list is good. and you can do it!

Sucks that your mother brings things up at inopportune moments :(  We're here for you if an argument does go down...

The to-do-list will get murdered by the end of the month, yeeyuh!

Mom accidentally said "he" a while ago, then "corrected" herself. I was like "no no, the first one was ok" ...but got no further comments. Pff. And TY to you all for being here :3

I, uhh...might have a date in mind for the surgery thing. I have not mentioned this to anyone yet. I know it's the right thing because I normally agonize over decisions like crazy, but with this it's like I didn't even have time to be indecisive, and my brain went on auto-pilot and said like "ok yeah, let's just book this date ASAP and then worry about telling everyone later" and the more conscious part of me was just like "ok".

Now I just hope that this date doesn't get booked solid by other people before the money transfer between my bank accounts happens (the clinic needs a 10% down payment at the time of booking x_x).

Oh right, my quests. I forgot to keep track of things, so let's just make this a 4-week challenge instead of 6-week challenge eh?

Last night:

Brush and floss: yes

I'm still reading the book called Smarter. So far the author has decided to add Lumosity to his INT training regimen. I already have it on mine for this quest, but I suck at doing it. Other things he has added include: physical exercise, music training, and mindfulness meditation. I have the first one down, the second one not at all, and the third one I'm working on. Not terrible?

I'm also getting INT back in other ways, like by sleeping and being less stressed! So even if I fail at my goals I can still bullshit myself and say that the challenge wasn't a complete faceplant :D

• Like 1

Last night's quests

Meditate: no

Brush and flosS: yes

I FUCKING SWEAR THE CAT KNOWS WHEN I AM TRYING TO MEDITATE. I continued to read Smarter for about 20 minutes before bed, while being pestered by the cat. She eventually clued in that she wouldn't be getting attention and then left. I waited a few minutes to be sure that she was gone, turned off the lights and prepared to meditate and...OHEY, THE CAT IS BACK!

I'll go meditate right now. This is fucking ridiculous. It's only five minutes. FIVE. MINUTES. And I still can't do it.

Will be EDIT'ing this in 5 minutes, hopefully with something positive.

EDIT: Meditation success!

• Like 2

Aaaand my old enemy, the alcohol monster, is back. 4 drinks on a Wednesday, Nax? Really? -_-

So I made this post on my tumblr:

HI NAXIU5, THIS IS YOUR CONSCIENCE SPEAKING

Yes! It is I! The part of you that you always ignore. The part of you that has been saying that you need to do things that you never do. The part…oh, fuck this. You know damn well who I am, and fuck you for ignoring me.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. YOU SEE THIS PICTURE? YOU SEE THOSE ABS? LOOK AT THEM!

tumblr_inline_nl2pswv9Og1rrhhbl.jpg

YOU WILL NOT HAVE THOSE ABS BY HAL-CON UNLESS YOU PUT DOWN THE FUCKING VODKA, NAXIU5! No, no, DON’T reach for the dry red wine or the tequila or the maple liqueur—ESPECIALLY the maple liqueur. What? No, I don’t give the slightest fuck if the maple liqueur is local and you think you’re helping the economy by drinking it. Just…stop. STOP!

You know what? Put this promo shot of Balem on your phone unlock screen, and every time you feel like getting shit-faced on weekdays—which is what, ALL THE TIME?—then look at the picture. LOOK. AT. IT. And have a glass of water. (Look at it while you’re at work and getting tempted by the bottomless well of pastries, too, actually!)

And if you’re going to be a fucking moron and disobey your conscience, at least go listen to Uptown Funk on YouTube while you’re drunk so that it’ll get stuck in your head for two days again. This way I can at least laugh at your expense.

Sincerely,

- Naxiu5′s conscience

Old habits -_- Why can't they stay the fuck gone?

EDIT: Oh, and I go by Naxiu5 on tumblr because Naxius was already taken ;\

• Like 1

I should offer some adult advice at this point, but I'm 3/4 drunk not the best role model!

Good grief, we so need a weekend kiddo! You know what I mean, not trying to be creepy.

Ok, back to my wine and Supernatural reruns.

I'm going to hell right?

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Yes, there does need to be a drinking weekend. And it's not being creepy...unless you live in a haunted house that eats people in order to self-renovate?

Last night's goals:

Meditation: yes

Brush and floss: yes

2/3! I need to get a freaking grip on the last one, though -_-

The next chapter in Smarter deals with cognitive enhancers. Let's see if I can cheat at getting more INT!

• Like 1

Oh goodness, can I join the drinking weekend in spirit from across the world?

Nice work on the goals - as a famous (and therefore always correct) man said, two out of three ain't bad.  You've still got a few weeks to get on top of the last one :)

And hope the thesis is going well!  Congrats on your surgery date!

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Lol fuck I'm so brain-dead this morning. FORGET ALL THE THINGS! And then procrastinate on the rest. I did accomplish a Life Quest 2 (declutter) thing, though: delivered a box of clothes to some friends that I hadn't seen in a while. The clothes fit fine, and my friends were totally happy.

Hmm. I wonder if I can clutterbust the rest of my old clothes before the day is over. Funny how these ambitions goals always pop into my min when I'm supposed to be the most boring of thesis-related tasks.

Oh goodness, can I join the drinking weekend in spirit from across the world?

Nice work on the goals - as a famous (and therefore always correct) man said, two out of three ain't bad.  You've still got a few weeks to get on top of the last one :)

And hope the thesis is going well!  Congrats on your surgery date!

Absolutely!

The surgery date might be up in the air again, actually :\ A lot of the main people at work will be away some time in April, so there's a chance that I might have to postpone it by a few weeks. The worst case scenario is that I miss East Coast Comic Expo (May 15) but...eh, there will be other cons. I just don't want to get it done in June when the heat + sweating will be likely to cause problems (and I want to be able to work out again ASAP to get dem abs before HalCon in November lol)

• Like 2

I've always found that when I have a very important project to do with a strict time limit, I get SUPER ambitious to do something else!

A couple week delay in the surgery isn't the end of the world, and I don't think you'll have an issue with being too hot this summer because I'm pretty sure we won't be having one. You see what's coming on Sunday?

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

I've always found that when I have a very important project to do with a strict time limit, I get SUPER ambitious to do something else!

A couple week delay in the surgery isn't the end of the world, and I don't think you'll have an issue with being too hot this summer because I'm pretty sure we won't be having one. You see what's coming on Sunday?

Yes. Yes I saw ;\

tumblr_nl0pz7uyBf1sszxiso1_500.jpg

• Like 2

Bam. May 7th is the confirmed date. Well, almost-confirmed. It'll be confirmed come Monday, fo' sho'.

I completely forgot where I was with my goals since I've been forgetting to keep track, sooooo LET'S ADD ANOTHER CHALLENGE GOAL:

NO MORE ALCOHOL FOR THE REST* OF THIS CHALLENGE. Because fuck, the alcoholism monster is back. Fortunately, I've beaten the alcoholism monster before, and this time I'm seeing it coming. I'm assuming it got through my defenses due to 1) having more days off and a stable work schedule, and 2) the feeling of "oh I won't be able to drink after the surgery so I may as well drink more now!" ...oops?

*Graduation will be an exception to this new goal, if I happen to graduate before the challenge ends.

* Tonight also doesn't count because I'm already drunk ;\

• Like 2

Bam. May 7th is the confirmed date. Well, almost-confirmed. It'll be confirmed come Monday, fo' sho'.  Congrats! Not to wind you up, but do your folks know?

LET'S ADD ANOTHER CHALLENGE GOAL:

NO MORE ALCOHOL FOR THE REST* OF THIS CHALLENGE. Because fuck, the alcoholism monster is back. Fortunately, I've beaten the alcoholism monster before, and this time I'm seeing it coming. I'm assuming it got through my defenses due to 1) having more days off and a stable work schedule,  My issue as well, plus on nights for a month makes my "days off" boring and 2) the feeling of "oh I won't be able to drink after the surgery so I may as well drink more now!" ...oops? As long as you take control of it and it not take control of you kiddo.

*Graduation will be an exception to this new goal, if I happen to graduate before the challenge ends.  Every rule needs an exception or 6...

* Tonight also doesn't count because I'm already drunk ;\   Sounds like my logic, wish I wasn't stuck at work or I would join you.

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild