Thister Goes As Far As He Can

Thister

I met with a mentor today who was familiar with some of the troubles I have faced over the past five and a half years of the PhD process who commented, "You stand for something. You stand for protest; you are a symbol of righting wrong. They know that, and they fear it. You strike fear in them because you are a fighter who not only held them accountable when they needed it, but you as you stand now, you've also shown them your mettle as adult and as someone you truly knows how to persevere. Be emboldened by your strength through all of that to now and never look at the past and all the difficulties that arose as a negative or as some weakness or character flaw; it is, instead, your finest attribute. Look to it, embrace it, and let it serve you as press on."

His perspective challenged my thoughts on the troubled past with my department and the tedious PhD process; I had never considered my actions in this incendiary fashion. Was I really this person? Had I become a symbol and not realized it all this time? I reflected quietly. My voice and my actions shook them up, so much so that many combatted me with threats, public humiliation, and ostracism. Yet, despite their fury and despite all the uncertainty and pain, I remained. My tenacity, or perhaps my masochism, kept me together and steeled me even in my darkest moments and lowest lows. Why had I not seen this before? And why had I given in to their insecurities and taken them as my own?

"Quitting isn't really an option for you," he continued. "If it was, you would've done it already, and you would've blamed yourself for it. Somewhere inside, you know that the past and all you've endured are not because of something you did wrong, but because of who you are and what you represent to them. You are revolutionary because you challenge the way things are, and in that you are a force to be reckoned with in all you do in your time there and even beyond."

My mind spun as he spoke. His perspective was not only positive, it was powerful. I suddenly began to realize that I did not need to change my behavior or actions to conform to the system for the sake of the process; rather, I needed to devise ways to make the system work for me in the process of finishing up and moving forward. I needed to see myself as the person I was all along, not the person I was made into because of others. I was change and I was strong, much stronger than I had ever given myself credit and more powerful than I realized.

"Be who you have been all along," I told myself, "and have the courage to go as far as you possibly can."

Inspired by my meeting and the personal revelations in conversation with a mentor, I'm going into this challenge reminding myself to go as far as I possibly can each day and week of this challenge. While my goals haven't changed much from the last challenge, my mindset has in how I have reconceptualized myself. 

Also, to make things more eventful and fun (and since my goals are so similar to the previous challenge), I'm adding in some "mini-boss" battles along my challenge every week or two. 

Quest One: Weight Train to Win

Do Bodyweight Brigade Level 2 or Dumbbell Division Level 2 or Resistance Band Routine or Yoga any other weight-training related exercise at least 18 times (approximately 3 or more times each week). 

A = +3 STR, +2 CHA; B = +2 STR, +1 CHA; C = +1 STR, +.5 CHA

Quest Two: Capitalize on Cardio

Interval run for 15-20 minutes or Run 3-5 miles or Bike (15-40 minutes) or Stair Climb (15-20 minutes) or Swim (20-60 minutes) or other cardio at least twice a week or at least 12 times total.

A = +3 DEX, +2 STA; B = +2 DEX, +1 STA; C = +1 DEX, +.5 STA

Quest Three: Disentangle the Dissertation

Write for my dissertation at least five days of the week—regardless of how good it is—and edit it the next day. Using 750words.com, I'll attempt to write at least 750 words or three pages during each sit-down session. The optimal goal would be to have approximately 54-63 pages total (or roughly two dissertation chapters) done by the end of this challenge.

A = +3 WIS; B = +2 WIS; C = +1 WIS

Life Quest: Find and Follow the Good Path

I consider myself "chaotic good," which means I fight for others, but my unpredictable and free spirit also allow me the freedom to go carve out my own path. As part of following my own path, I'm challenging myself to find the good in each situation and to reframe the negative in a way that best serves my interest. I'll do this by not only challenging negative thoughts in the moment, but by also journaling everyday, even if only a page, to disassociate the negativity and further reframe the negative to find and follow the good path for me.

A = +2 CON; B = +1 CON; C = +.5 CON

Random Mini-Boss Battles (more may be added later)

1. Pound the Puller on High!: ​Complete one legit pull-up without assistance
  2. Outrun the Octagorn: Complete a mile in 8 minutes or under.
  3. Dive into the Waters of Win: Swim laps for thirty minutes without stopping for more than a two minute break once.
  4. Battle with Bikram: Do Bikram Yoga at least once a week or four times total in one month (given that I am traveling a bit in March).

Really excited to kick off this challenge and continue the progress I am making. Even more excited to be continuing on with all you crazy runners and stunners!

• Like 5

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Wow, what a powerful conversation! It's great not only to have something you stand for passionately, but also to have someone who believes in you.

Now I'm going to have to check out Bodyweight Brigade....

• Like 1

"Magic?" the old man replied, his raspy voice curling around the pipe like smoke,

"There's no such thing as that; not the way they mean...

There's sight, there's wisdom, and there's motion.

The rest is just...seeing what happens."

As a general rule, heroes don't realize what they are until they are far, far down the path which - being who they are - they could not have avoided if they were to remain true to themselves.  You have a wise and perceptive mentor.   Hopefully, he speaks standard English ....  ;-)

a6ae82cd0ddb815ffc826469750dc902.jpg

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

What an outstanding conversation and realization.  Love the challenge.  Life quest and mini boss bits are very inspiring.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I am even more motivated to move forward with the support and cheers from you all.

Pre-Challenge Day

• Did Bikram Yoga for the first time and I LOVED it. In fact, I'm planning on going to a studio I found around my home once I get back from my trip to visit my advisor out east. I was impressed with myself at not only being able to fully endure the full 90 minutes, but I was also impressed with the fact that I could do the various poses fairly well. Sure, there were some I could only do the first or second extension of, but I was able to do all of them. The yoga I've done in the past six weeks must've helped for sure. (So, I'm adding a Bikram mini-boss to my challenges above.)
  • Journaled as part of my "good path" routine. 1.5 pages. It's interesting to see how your perspective changes over time and when you are able to challenge yourself to see things different and to let go of thoughts altogether. In fact, it reminds me of this story I head on NPR's Invisibilia Program about thoughts. Totally worth checking out if you haven't heard it and if you struggle with negative thoughts or emotions.

Day One

• Did BBL2 B with added variety in resistance bands (that were 12-15 lbs, by resistance). (I did BBL2 A on Saturday, so that's why I'm starting with B for the challenge). The workout went very well and, despite the yoga yesterday, my body felt pretty good. I didn't push it too hard with the resistance bands because of the yoga yesterday. My goal is to be injury free.
  • I'm jumping on 750words.com right after this post, so I'll update with progress after.
  • I'll journal later this afternoon or tonight, and possibly update this post to reflect this.
  • Like 1

- — Thister — -

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Solid day 1!  I am definitely going to listen to that show tomorrow at work.  

It's worth your time. I was thrilled to hear it through for the full hour. I don't think I've ever learned so much that felt so timely and personally relevant from one program before. (I love my NPR!)

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Day Two

• Day of rest. We have snow here today, so I didn't go out running. I did get some light walking in, but that was about it. Today was mostly spent enjoying the company of my friends here and absorbing the time with them because it's the first time it has felt mostly positive to be back here.
  • I wrote 750 words today(!), but not yesterday...but that's ok! One day at a time and always time to recover in the future.)
  • Journaled last night and I'm about to journal again tonight. Learning to let go of thoughts has been so incredibly helpful. Sometimes you stumble upon what you need most in your life, and I know I've been fortunate enough to find that in my life in this moment.

Tomorrow may be a kind of hectic day. I would like to do BBL2, but it's looking like walking around for two hours will have to suffice since I won't be able to get to my bat cave to workout until the evening. Laaaaaame! It's not an excuse. I'm literally bound to my friend's schedule if I go on campus, unless I hail an expensive cab or Uber it back. So, BBL2 on Thursday and Saturday, Bikram Yoga on Sunday. That'll be a complete week of workouts without missing any workouts for my goals.

Hope you all are doing well! 

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

It does stink having to work your schedule around someone else's at times.  Sounds like you have a solid plan so that is definitely a win.

• Like 2

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Good job fitting in workouts.  You don't want to be a hermit, and the best way to build a life-long habit of exercise is to flexible!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Hey Thirster.

It's taking me a bit to check on everyone. Either I'm busy or we have lots-o-Scouts this time!

How did the week go? Granted it isn't quite done so this may well be premature, oops.  :rolleyes-new:

Awesome life challenge, mate. It is extremely powerful to step back just a little and give yourself permission to be okay with whatever's happening. I find then I don't have to fend off or hold back high emotions. There in there and I can feel them without having them explode outside or inside myself. I find at the very least, I recover from high emotions and situations faster and with the ability to take some wisdom from it fairly immediately as opposed to 2 years later.

Any boss fights, yet? Look at me all rushing you. My bad. Just post pics of the fallen bosses! LOL

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Hey all! 

Apologies for the extended AFK time from here. Between traveling back out West and then getting ready for my 30th Birthday Celebration down in Texas, I've been hopping around quite a bit.

I have, however, managed to stay on top of my goals. Mostly. Here's the low-down:

Week One

• Did BBL2 two times with resistance bands
  • One day of yoga/stretching
  • Three solid days of writing
  • Journaled every night

So, for those keeping track. I was slightly behind going into this second week in my weight training workouts and cardio and writing, but not by too much.

Here's a snapshot of Week Two:

• Completed two DDL2 workouts with 10 and 15 pound weights
  • One day of Yoga
  • Four solid days of writing
  • Journaled everyday; approximate 1.5 pages a day.

I'll get my second day of cardio/yoga in tomorrow and I'll get my third weight training in on Saturday. I need to catch up to my goal, so next week, even though I'll be in Texas, I'll have my resistance bands with me to work out four days of the week. (I should make this a mini-boss goal! In fact, I will!)

Other than that, things are going great! When I met with my advisor two days before I left I was confident, calm, and composed. His words and detached nature didn't bother me at all for once. I explained to him what I was doing, what I felt was missing from our conversations, and what I didn't need from him, which may have been a bit of a shock for him. Still, he wasn't offended, and, even if he had tried to offend me with some things he said, he didn't succeed. I've got such a great mindset about my project and work right now that, short of outright insulting me, there isn't much stopping me from making good progress. I mean, I even went out to dinner alone at a semi-formal restaurant with a book and a pen for taking notes for my diss chapters. No shame. No worry. I've got this and I'm going to finish by the end of June. No question.

I leave for Texas this Saturday and my big 3-0 is on Monday! I'm looking forward to the warm weather, fun times with friends, and keeping up with my workouts. The time away will be nice, but I'm not giving up on my goals even though I'm a little behind. That just makes me want to do even more to finish up my writing each day and catch up.

I'll be updating again daily for the next three days and, hopefully, most everyday into the next week. 

Thanks for the cheers, all!

Challenge progress continues;

I'm unstoppable.

(So...I cheated a little on that haiku!) ;-)

• Like 2

- — Thister — -

With all you have going on you have done fantastic and you are so calm and confident sounding.  Impressive.  

I hope you have a wonderful time with friends and an excellent 30th birthday!!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

So...get this! I flew down to Texas and I've kept up with my workouts AND got my friend who never works out to work out with me. Hah!

Update for Week Two:

Friday: Interval Running for 15 minutes, and 10 minutes of running at a 9 min per mile and 20 minutes of stair climbing. (Crazy cardio day!)

Saturday: Yoga for 30 minutes. Desert routine with Pocket Yoga App.

Sunday: BBL2 with Resistance Bands. 

Traveling and working out is hard, but it's kinda cool to know that I inspired my friend to get on it. Maybe I can get another person in on the Academy! 

The Big 3-0 is tomorrow!

• Like 3

- — Thister — -

Happy Birthday!

Great job inspiring friends. I feel like a pyramid scheme converter. But maybe one of them gets a step closer to putting themselves first.

Great running!

Have a blast with Week 3!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Sweet!  I got a friend interested in the academy today as well.  LOL  What an awesome experience to get a friend to workout with you and inspire them.  Way to go. 

Hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow!

• Like 1

Happy two-days-after-your-birthday!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Chicken Teriyaki Meatball dish as per request.

We will do everything in one skillet (except for cooking rice).

Thaw the chicken teriyaki meatballs if necessary

Get rice boiling per package directions - either a 1/2 cup or 1 cup of rice

Chop 1/2 of an onion, half green pepper and half of red pepper.

Grate 1/2 of the zucchini

Fine chop about 2-3 kale leaves after removing the big stem.

Brown the meatballs on medium heat. The meatballs are heat and eat right?

Once browned, add the peppers and onion and a little soy or teriyaki if you want. But If the meatballs are teriyaki flavored already then that should work.

Still on med heat, cook just a few minutes. You want vegetables to still be crisp.

When done, take the veggies and meatballs out of skillet and into a bowl.

We will use the same skillet that we did the meatballs in so don't clean it.

Into your, still med heat, skillet goes the grated 1/2 a zucchini and the kale. If there is no moisture in the pan add some stock/teriyaki sauce to it. Sauté those for a few minutes.

Add the fluffed rice and more sauce if needed. Stir it together.

Add the bowl of meatballs and veggies. Stir in and get them warmed up again.

Serve!

78471a86d1473aef2cb5ec6a1d26109b.jpg

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Do you make the meatballs from scratch ... or have a supplier??  (That dish looks YUM!!)

Some sort of Jedi .....