SpiderMonkey Avoids Shiny Distractions

Fortuositea

I like progress bars too! I've been trying to figure out how to make one for my mileage for this challenge! 

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Wow I love your project! I <3 <3 Doctor Who! And congrats on the miles too. NYC is a great city for a long walk.

Thanks! I'm just glad it came out looking similar to what I was picturing in my head. The white strands around the TARDIS are slightly glittery but it doesn't really show up in the picture. 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Progress bars are fun to watch change as you knock out goals.  It took me a bit to figure them out.  Okay so next to the twitter icon there is the one for progress bars.  In the first blank line put in a simple color.  In the next big space type the number for the % without the "%" sign.  So for 50% completed just put in 50.  Viola!

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Another 2.5 miles down! YAY! That's 11.5/50 miles.

Let's try my hand at this progress bar thing...

23%
23%

2.5 miles on Monday night on the treadmill, running and walking with Run the Edge and Zombies, Run!! I usually do run/walk intervals, and I've been running for maybe two years now. It still disappoints me a bit that the run intervals seem so difficult sometimes, even when it's only a minute and a half! I've added distance to my workouts over the months, but haven't been able to ramp up the speed much. I have dreams of half-marathons and maybe even a marathon, but it seems like I'll never be able to do one if I can't even run a 5K without walking. Do they let you walk in marathons? Most of the races I've seen have time limits, and I know it would take me several hours since I'd have to walk a lot. 

Maybe it's just a case of the treadmill blues. Most people say that running on a treadmill is easier, but I'm one of the ones who disagrees wholeheartedly. I always seem to do better running outside. I think seeing 19 and 20 minute miles is getting me down a bit. We're in the midst of another ice storm today. I can't wait until Old Man Winter hits the road and I can stretch my legs outside again! I think the solution is just to stick with it. 

On the upside, Zombies, Run is awesome, and somehow the Run the Edge plan gets me to run for 10 straight minutes when I don't even feel like I can run a minute and a half. 

Took a break on Tuesday because my husband spent a long time cooking a big dinner and it was late and we were sleepy by the time dinner was over. I considered waking up early to do some treadmill miles but we had an ice storm overnight and I had to go make sure the driveway wasn't one big slip and slide. (It was.)

My boss bought me a soda at work (he didn't realize I'm trying to give it up) so that's another lost point for no-soda-at-work. I did have to call our water bottle company and request an earlier delivery since we're almost out of water in the water cooler bottles - guess I've been drinking a lot of water!

I was supposed to have a meeting for work tonight, but it's been cancelled due to the bad weather. That means treadmill miles for me! If I'm going to complete 10 miles this week, I still need to do 7.5, so I'm aiming for 2.5 tonight. 

So loath the treadmill too.  It is hard for me too and boring no matter what I do.  I will run in 10 degree weather before I will do the treadmill.  

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

So loath the treadmill too.  It is hard for me too and boring no matter what I do.  I will run in 10 degree weather before I will do the treadmill.  

I usually hate it too! I've grown to tolerate it this winter because it's the only thing that kept me running when it was too icy outside. My husband works out with me and we throw on a movie so it's not AS boring, but there's no end to this bad weather in sight, so I'm losing my patience!

• Like 1

I use a treadmill at work and am subjected to what they put on the tv there.  One tv will have close caption and the other not while some other music is blasting some kind of noise.  Boy that made me sound old.  LOL

• Like 1

I used to run on a treadmill at work and the TV was broken! It was the worst!

I did two miles on the treadmill on Wednesday. Yesterday, I watched V for Vendetta while on the treadmill. The next run on my Run the Edge program started off with a straight 15 minute run and I just didn't think I was up for it so I didn't bother keeping track of the time. I think I may have run for fifteen minutes anyway- at a nice easy 3.6 mph. 2.5 miles in total. 

Still doing pretty good on the water, and I've been working on some projects, but not the ones I said I would. For instance, we're hanging pretty pictures and re-organizing rooms, which is good, but not on my to-do list. I keep coming up with new projects but ignoring the old ones! Tonight, we are taking my mother in law out for dinner for her birthday, and after that I plan to do two more treadmill miles and then crochet, crochet, crochet. 

50 miles toward Mordor

32%
32%

You are doing fantastic!  Hey the pace does not matter as long as you are getting out there and doing what you enjoy.  Looks like you are on track for the distance goal and dong well with soda.

Why are you avoiding the old projects?

• Like 1

V for Vendetta! Awesome movie.

I'm wondering if your switching of projects is related to your switching workouts? Do you know of any feelings that come up when you change things? Or the feelings that come directly after the decision?

Love all the running.     Good water too.     Great work.     Keep At it!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

You are doing fantastic!  Hey the pace does not matter as long as you are getting out there and doing what you enjoy.  Looks like you are on track for the distance goal and dong well with soda.

Why are you avoiding the old projects?

V for Vendetta! Awesome movie.

I'm wondering if your switching of projects is related to your switching workouts? Do you know of any feelings that come up when you change things? Or the feelings that come directly after the decision?

Love all the running.     Good water too.     Great work.     Keep At it!

Why do I avoid old projects... at some point I realize that it's been so long since I worked on something that I have to spend more time to figure out where to start up again. Apparently, I like new and shiny, but when it's not new anymore, it's boring and not exciting and I'm not excited to finish it. Someone once told me I had grand plans, and it is extremely clear to me in this challenge that it's true.

I'm getting to the point where I would think about switching workouts, because I've been doing this for a week and I'm not seeing any results. I know this is ridiculous, because it's only been a week! But then I see some workout that might be more effective, or more fun, and I'm like, always looking for something better. Switching it up all the time isn't getting results any faster, I know, but I just feel like a failure, like I picked the wrong workout.

I didn't realize when I started this challenge that I'd picked things that were really hard for me. Maybe it's good for me. 

• Like 1

Dinner with my mother-in-law went REALLY late - we got home & went to bed, so I didn't do any crocheting or extra miles. I did have more water than soda at dinner. I've been ordering water and soda and drinking mostly water, so I'm getting to the point where I could stop ordering the soda. I did one treadmill mile yesterday morning then we ran out to get our taxes done. My sister was coming to visit, so we shoveled some more snow off the driveway so she'd have somewhere to park! We hung out, did some puzzles, listened to some music, and I finally went to bed at 1 AM. We ran some errands today and now I'm trying to motivate myself to do something with the rest of my night. I didn't manage to do the ten miles I wanted to do because stuff kept getting in the way, and I have to try to stop getting in my own way now!

• Like 1

Wow. we are in some similar patterns right now, RSMR.

I'm not sure how much experience you have with exercise and planning your workouts so not sure where to jump off from.

SO, I will take my chances and assume you have just started in the past year. With that assumption, I'd like to talk you through a thing or two. Take what you want, leave the rest...

*Terinatum stands up in front of you with a smile and warm heart, practicing being a motivational speaker.*

I'm one of those that knows a lot, but doesn't really get to doing them! Familiar!? hehehe I thought so!

I/We find interesting knowledge and instantly want to incorporate it into our lives. This may be stretching a bit, but again, chance taking. I find it very important to be smart and look like I know what I'm talking about. Notice, I didn't say doing. With this comes the desire to collect underpants (a Steve article). With up-to-date info, I can convince myself that NOW I have what I need to get better. Unfortunately, it also means I'm not actually spending enough time testing any of these theories. And I, like you, really desire the immediate evidence of all this new knowledge. When that doesn't happen (because it's not built like that and I'm not doing the work), I give up on it and move to the next thing on my 'bucket list of things I will likely never do.'

What's this mean for us? First,

I believe we need to create a list, materially is best, but on the computer is good too. This list should contain all the things we succeeded at. Even if we jumped ship three weeks later, doesn't matter. The list is our evidence, our boost when feeling like we can't do anything. When you see 14 things on that list, you can't say with any truth, that you can't do anything. It doesn't fix the shiny object piece directly, granted. But you can go back to that list anytime and realise again and again, that your passion is in the game! You know how to be all-in. So what's the next step?

Step Two: Self Compassion.

It's the hardest lesson for those of us that feel like we never get it perfect - oops, I mean, get it right! Or do I? We are so tough on ourselves, we take our love and affection and give it away, none left for us! We are so disappointed, we can't let ourselves off the hook. Others? Sure no problem. But, for us? We expect us to just jump up and start again. But without love, our excitement has to come from somewhere else. Enter Bright Shiny Thing. And the wheel turns...

Step Three: Don't look for the answer to life the universe and everything!

Really. We don't need the perfect answer or even the second best one. We need to let ourselves be fine where we are:  choosing water over soda even when they are both on the table in front of you and NO ONE will look at you twice if you chose the soda, but may well seem confused if you don't touch your soda at all. With all the pressure we have on us, when we make a hard choice like that and are able to see it as a victory, that's when we say, 'This is MY Bright and Shiny.' 'I am creating my shiny life.'

Nothing else matter, Spider Monkey, nothing. You are your parent now. You are in charge. 

All the love I can send through the atmosphere is yours. Take real good care of yourself. You deserve the best from yourself.

Hug.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

*Terinatum stands up in front of you with a smile and warm heart, practicing being a motivational speaker.*...

*Spidermonkey claps furiously*

Seriously, thank you for this. 

I have always spent my life with my grand plans, but never following through, I think mostly because I am scared that they won't turn out right, or it will be hard, or for whatever reason, it just won't be the "right" thing. "So Scared of Failure that Sometimes I Don't Even Try", a Novel, by me. Even when there is no chance for failure, like with running, I start to think I'm going to fail and run toward something else that practically guarantees success - I mean, how in the world could I possibly fail at using a running program? To be honest, the only way to fail at using a running program is TO QUIT, which is exactly what I've been doing. I always let my head defeat me before I've even begun. I need to look out in my life for situations where I start to fall into this routine so I can break out of it. I have to stop quitting when I don't get the results I want on the first try. 

I started running in summer, two years ago, just going out for runs and walks a couple times a week, but it was an amorphous blob of a thing. I didn't have a goal, I didn't have a plan. Then I started a running blog, and that brought a little more order to things, but I was still just running and not seeing any results. I keep going through this cycle where I work out and I'm really conscientious about food and everything for maybe... two weeks. Then I let myself get defeated because I'm not losing weight, or I'm gaining weight, or some big life thing happens that knocks me off course. It's like this with a lot of things in my life. When it gets hard, I run in the other direction. I just can't ignore the voice in the back of my head that tells me I'm a failure. Then another two or three weeks goes by and I start to feel bad about not working out, so I find a shiny new workout and the whole thing begins again. 

This six-week challenge is better than therapy. 

• Like 1

Another week begins! So far, so good.

I am kind of learning a lot about myself and my own personal challenges during this six-week challenge, and my intense therapy session with Terinatum has solidified the things I've been thinking about into an actual plan. Somehow I managed to pick goals that really exposed things I have trouble with, so this is sort of a game-changer.

I am terrible at follow-through. I realized that I do have grand ideas, but I don't actually have a goal until I make a plan. If I want to make 50 miles to Mordor this challenge, I could just wing it, but I might wind up having to try to make up 15 miles in the last week and that's definitely not going to work. So now I know I need to walk at least 8 1/3 miles a week to make it. Now that I see it, it's easier to figure out how to achieve it.

I ran 2.5 miles yesterday. In my Run the Edge plan, I just started the first day of week 3 - a ten minute run, followed by a five minute walk and a five minute run. There was also a ten minute run in week 2, and I am please to report that it was much easier to run. I approached it feeling more confident that I could do it, and before I knew it, I was already through the first five minutes! No pain or soreness or anything today, so that's awesome. The next workout starts with a fifteen minute run and that doesn't seem as daunting as it used to be. I saw a cool ab workout I wanted to start, but I was like, WAITAMINUTE you're in the middle of another workout. Finish that first. I filed it away for later. 

Still doing great with water. I could really use some caffeine this morning, though!

and now, a list of things I have succeeded at doing this week!

- I ran for a full ten minutes yesterday at a fairly decent clip without stopping. 

- Last night I finished crocheting the two scarves that were on my life goals to-do list! I still have to sew on buttons, and I will do that tonight before book club.

- Husband and I fixed our record player and hung up some pictures that have been sitting around the house. 

19.5/50 miles to Mordor

39%
39%
  • Like 2

WOOOOO HHOOOO

Look at you all focused and in gear!? Great effort and wonderful pay-offs!

So glad you're sticking with the running. Terribly bias that I am of course! I just love the freedom I feel. I'm running. I'm deciding to do this. I love it. It's all good on the trails!

Congrats, Sister!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

*Spidermonkey claps furiously*

Seriously, thank you for this. 

I have always spent my life with my grand plans, but never following through, I think mostly because I am scared that they won't turn out right, or it will be hard, or for whatever reason, it just won't be the "right" thing. "So Scared of Failure that Sometimes I Don't Even Try", a Novel, by me. Even when there is no chance for failure, like with running, I start to think I'm going to fail and run toward something else that practically guarantees success - I mean, how in the world could I possibly fail at using a running program? To be honest, the only way to fail at using a running program is TO QUIT, which is exactly what I've been doing. I always let my head defeat me before I've even begun. I need to look out in my life for situations where I start to fall into this routine so I can break out of it. I have to stop quitting when I don't get the results I want on the first try. 

I started running in summer, two years ago, just going out for runs and walks a couple times a week, but it was an amorphous blob of a thing. I didn't have a goal, I didn't have a plan. Then I started a running blog, and that brought a little more order to things, but I was still just running and not seeing any results. I keep going through this cycle where I work out and I'm really conscientious about food and everything for maybe... two weeks. Then I let myself get defeated because I'm not losing weight, or I'm gaining weight, or some big life thing happens that knocks me off course. It's like this with a lot of things in my life. When it gets hard, I run in the other direction. I just can't ignore the voice in the back of my head that tells me I'm a failure. Then another two or three weeks goes by and I start to feel bad about not working out, so I find a shiny new workout and the whole thing begins again. 

This six-week challenge is better than therapy. 

So that post, especially the first part, is my history.  Granted I never went for a new shiny but just found more ways to beat myself up.  

You are doing amazing.

• Like 1

WOOOOO HHOOOO

Look at you all focused and in gear!? Great effort and wonderful pay-offs!

So glad you're sticking with the running. Terribly bias that I am of course! I just love the freedom I feel. I'm running. I'm deciding to do this. I love it. It's all good on the trails!

Congrats, Sister!

That is exactly why I love running! Because decide to do it. It's my thing and I do it only for me.

So that post, especially the first part, is my history.  Granted I never went for a new shiny but just found more ways to beat myself up.  

You are doing amazing.

and so are you! It's a tough cycle to break out of, but the running has helped a lot. 

• Like 2

Woohoo Wednesday! 

I admit, I had some coffee this morning, which might explain the peppiness. 

I've been drinking water only during the day, maybe some chocolate milk after a run or some iced tea with dinner, but no soda. I was expecting some kind of sugar withdrawal but I haven't really noticed any adverse affects. 

I attempted  a really yummy looking twice-baked mashed potato last night with sweet potatoes but they just didn't want to bake enough to get mushy! I kept putting them back in the microwave until they had been cooking for at least ten minutes. They were impossible to mash. I wound up pretty much pureeing them with broccoli and cauliflower, which turned out to be surprisingly good, even if it looked like baby food. I might try again tonight and cook them in the oven, I'm not sure our microwave is working too well. 

I ran 3.1 miles last night! It was awesome. I'm really excited to be able to do that many miles in one go, even if it took almost an hour. I've always admired runners who could run for more than a mile at once. I'm going to write more about this on my regular blog and maybe cross post later, I don't want to take up too much space when I should be talking about my challenges! My Run The Edge workout today was supposed to be cross-training, but since I'd had a rest day yesterday, I just really wanted to get on the treadmill - didn't quite expect to run 3 miles though!

I didn't wind up going to book club Monday - splitting migraine. (Hey, maybe that's the sugar withdrawal...) I seriously spent all of last night trying to get those sweet potatoes to soften up a bit, so the scarves aren't entirely done yet. I should have some time tonight - my next workout is supposed to start out with a long run, but I'll probably take it slower than normal so it may take a while. 

• Like 2

Hey it does not matter how fast you go.  You are going and doing what you want.  I look at being slow (slow poke myself) means I have loads and loads of room for improvement!  I am not even close to hitting my upper limit to where I would be fighting for a year to improve those last few minutes/seconds off a time.  ;)  Great job on the 3 miles and enjoying the workout...which is its own reward.

Would love the recipe of what you are trying to do with the sweet potatoes!

• Like 1

Hey it does not matter how fast you go.  You are going and doing what you want.  I look at being slow (slow poke myself) means I have loads and loads of room for improvement!  I am not even close to hitting my upper limit to where I would be fighting for a year to improve those last few minutes/seconds off a time.   ;)  Great job on the 3 miles and enjoying the workout...which is its own reward.

Would love the recipe of what you are trying to do with the sweet potatoes!

Sweet Potato Recipe!

So you bake the sweet potato, then cut in half lengthwise and dig out the center to make two sweet potato shells. 

Mash the sweet potato you dug out with chopped cauliflower and broccoli. I mixed in about 1/2 cup of each. The recipe told me to also add in buttermilk, but I hate buttermilk, so I just used a glug of regular milk. 

Scoop the mixture back into the sweet potato shells, and cover with a bit of shredded cheese. (you can also mix a little of the shredded cheese in with the sweet potato & veggies!)

Bake again for 5-10 minutes. 

^ This is a variation of a recipe I found here: http://2fatnerds.com/2015/01/23/eat-fit-not-fat-broccoli-and-cheddar-twice-baked-potatoes/

& you're right, I've got so much room for improvement, too. I've not even gotten close to the limit of my potential! I like the sound of that. 

Awesome....my husband is definitely interested in trying the recipe and so am I!  Kiddo is not so interested.  LOL Thanks for sharing it.  Hopefully it comes out better for you next time.  I know we sometimes will microwave potatoes for a few minutes in a bowl that is covered with a plate.  Of course we pierce the potatoes with a fork prior to nuking them.  Then we pop them into a hot oven to finish.  Helps dry out the skin and finish the cooking process.  Pretty excited to have a new recipe thanks!

• Like 1

Happy Pi Day! 

I've been doing REALLY well with water all week. I dropped my fancy plastic water cup and it cracked =( so I ran out and bought a newer, bigger one! 24 ounces. It's become really easy to drink at least three-four full cups each day during work. I've still ordered soda the two times I went out for dinner with my husband, but each time, we've been really mindful of what we're ordering. We went to one of our favorite Italian restaurants and I did not eat one bread stick. My husband and I split the entree. And I didn't even finish the sodas I ordered, so I think next time I'll be able to skip the soda and not feel like I'm missing out. 

Forcing my mind to stick with one running program when it feels like straying has paid off a lot so far, too. When I started with this workout program, I was running 1 minute run / walk intervals, and any more seemed really daunting, but this past week had me running for 15 minutes straight, and then tonight I ran at 5 mph for two and a half minutes, which is pretty incredible. This next week is a recovery week, so I'm only going to be running 50% of my workouts, which means I'll have to do a lot more walking to make up the mileage I'm aiming for.

I FINISHED PROJECTS! I finished crocheting the cowl scarves and finally sewed on the buttons today. No pictures, because I also went out today to give them to my friends! So all that's left on my list is my flowerpot snowman. He's assembled, but he still needs a face, scarf, and buttons. 

• Like 2

And I'm more than halfway in my mileage challenge! Almost forgot until I updated by progress bar =D 26.5 miles out of 50!

• Like 2