SpiderMonkey Avoids Shiny Distractions

Fortuositea

I am so proud of you for sticking to the program!  It has definitely paid off for you.  Congrats on getting some projects done too.  That is awesome.  I am to the point with water that I start me day with a glass before I even grab coffee.  It may not all be drank before the first sip of coffee but I have it done before I leave for work.  It does get easier to ignore soda and go for the non sugary options.  I usually do water or unsweetened tea when out to eat.  Then again we rarely go out.  LOL

Recovery week is a great idea.  Walking is still time on your feet and mileage towards your awesome goal.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Such a good day! Husband and I went to a get-together for my grandmother's 81st birthday. We were asked to pick up chips, so we brought guacamole, tortilla chips, and Doritos. Didn't touch any of the Doritos or the soda, and it sort of seemed easy. Didn't feel like I had to give anything up. No running today, because we were running around. My husband's switched to iced tea when we go out, and I'm still doing ok with water.

and here - pictures of one of my finished scarves!

scarf1 (480x640)

scarf2 (640x480)

scarf3 (480x640)

I was also assigned a new project... a small lap blanket for my grandmother. Tack that on my list of things to do!
  • Like 2

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

So awesome to hear...all of it!  Oh that scarf looks divine.  Honestly i saw that and thought it would be amazing when the weather is chilly and I am on my bike or out for a run.  Consider a commission in the future?  Once you have your other projects tackled and your newest assignment (grandma's blanket) are complete of course.  Some of us (me) try to be crafty but really lack any talent.  If I do not end up bleeding at some point then I must not have tried on that project.  LOL  Running joke with family.  I will stick with cooking for everyone as gifts instead.  ha ha ha

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

So awesome to hear...all of it!  Oh that scarf looks divine.  Honestly i saw that and thought it would be amazing when the weather is chilly and I am on my bike or out for a run.  Consider a commission in the future?  Once you have your other projects tackled and your newest assignment (grandma's blanket) are complete of course.  Some of us (me) try to be crafty but really lack any talent.  If I do not end up bleeding at some point then I must not have tried on that project.  LOL  Running joke with family.  I will stick with cooking for everyone as gifts instead.  ha ha ha

I would be absolutely delighted to make you a scarf!

I've crocheted several squares in Grandma's blanket already, so I hope I can get that finished by the end of the week. My sister's already made two full blankets! She's such a show-off! =) We are lucky that we get our crafty thumbs (crafty thumbs.. that's a thing now) from our mother. She's the crafting queen! 

Meanwhile, I am NOT the best cook. Long has the story been told of when I cut my finger while cutting potatoes AT my own christmas party. Maybe that's why I'm not surprised the sweet potatoes didn't turn out the way they were supposed to!

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I was fortunate that my dad taught me to cook at a very early age.  We have continued that tradition with our daughter.  Mastering many skills early has helped make it so I can be creative in the kitchen.  Not always a win granted but most of the time it is either really good to excellent.  Our kiddo has mastered a few basics like light and fluffy scrambled eggs and creates her own drink recipes.  Pretty awesome.

Too funny that I can cook but not craft without blood but you seem to have it the other way around.  LOL  Sweet potatoes do take a fair amount of time in the oven.  Try nuking them first for about 6 minutes in a covered bowl to get them started and make sure the oven is around 350-400 and fully heated before popping them in.  You may need to lightly rub in an oil of your choice to make sure the skin crisps up some before popping them in the oven.  Nuking leads to wet skin on potatoes in general.  

Get your other projects done before taking on more and then decide on a price.  :)  

• Like 1

Quick update:

Biked 4 miles, ran 2 miles on Monday. My running plan is calling for a recovery week and I'm just worried about cutting my activity in half and falling off track as a result, so I added some biking. Maybe it will be warm enough soon to take out my real bike! I did absolutely nothing yesterday. Water like crazy. Had soda while out getting food one day because I forgot my water bottle and I didn't want to buy another. I've said "No" to soda so many other times during this challenge I have no many idea how many bonus points to award myself now.

It's funny how one good turn deserves another. I'm cutting out a lot of bread. I have ordered burgers without buns.. at Five Guys. I pick the meat and veggies off sandwiches and leave the cheese untouched. We have had serious discussions about portion size. It's all good. 

Hopped on the scale last week and it was down four pounds. Trying not to do victory dances, because I know how weight can fluctuate, and it's on me to stay on track, but it's the first time it's gone in the RIGHT direction in like, the last four years. 

I was fortunate that my dad taught me to cook at a very early age.  We have continued that tradition with our daughter.  Mastering many skills early has helped make it so I can be creative in the kitchen.  Not always a win granted but most of the time it is either really good to excellent.  Our kiddo has mastered a few basics like light and fluffy scrambled eggs and creates her own drink recipes.  Pretty awesome.

Too funny that I can cook but not craft without blood but you seem to have it the other way around.  LOL  Sweet potatoes do take a fair amount of time in the oven.  Try nuking them first for about 6 minutes in a covered bowl to get them started and make sure the oven is around 350-400 and fully heated before popping them in.  You may need to lightly rub in an oil of your choice to make sure the skin crisps up some before popping them in the oven.  Nuking leads to wet skin on potatoes in general.  

Get your other projects done before taking on more and then decide on a price.   :)

Attempting the baked sweet potato tonight again with your tips... I'm going to try it in the oven instead of the microwave this time. 

My dad's a great cook but he also doesn't have patience for things like giving instructions, so I'm usually on my own! I've got a few specialities, some casseroles and such, and I'm a great baker, because all of those boxes come with directions! =)

I'm rushing home to start on the sweet potatoes and work on my projects!

• Like 1

Ah, RSMR, this is all so wonderful. Scarves, and blankets, and water, oh my!

Glad you're enjoying your crafty side. You look so happy in the scarf pic. Very nice to see. It made me smile.

Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Hope the sweet potatoes turned out!  Getting any more miles to Mordor?

Sweet potato swung over to the other side of the spectrum - slightly over-cooked. Very mushy but SO DELICIOUS! I stuck it in the microwave first and then tossed it in the oven for probably 45 minutes. We didn't wind up doing the twice baked potato this time around, we just cut them in half and enjoyed. 

Ran two miles on Wednesday. I'm not a very obedient patient so when recovery week tells me to run half of my workout, I just increase the speed... so now I'm working my way up to 5 mph. I'm so excited that I might be able to run a 12 minute mile at some point this year!

Biked 1 mile, ran 1.5 last night while listening to Zombies, Run! I'm ready for nice weather because I think that it will be way more fun to run to outside, but they're calling for snow tonight. SNOW. 

I wasn't sure if I was going to count my bike mileage toward Mordor, but my husband said, "Well, maybe you found a bike while you were walking." and I decided it's my challenge, and I'm counting it! 

37/50 miles to Mordor!

• Like 1

Awesome.  Hey however you can get to Mordor.  My daughter likes to pretend that our bikes are our trusted steeds.  We name them and everything.  It looks like you are going to smoke your Mordor goal and go even further if you keep it up!

Recovery weeks are very important.  Do not sell them short.  They give your body time to fully recover obviously and can definitely help prevent injury.  Push it and an injury could sideline you.  I learned the hard way.  I also heard and understand, for me, that I need to continue with weight loss first and then speed will naturally follow.  Of course speed work is fun and any improvement in speed feels fantastic.  I have run a 10 min mile but honestly I like a slower pace right now as I increase distance.  When trying to out do my best pace it usually means one sloppy mile and only one mile at that pace.  I know I prefer to go slow and long during my runs.  I am adding sprinting for little workouts for fun because I also like to go fast.  However short and fast or slow and long.....slow and long will win out most every time.  :)    

• Like 1

Awesome.  Hey however you can get to Mordor.  My daughter likes to pretend that our bikes are our trusted steeds.  We name them and everything.  It looks like you are going to smoke your Mordor goal and go even further if you keep it up!

Recovery weeks are very important.  Do not sell them short.  They give your body time to fully recover obviously and can definitely help prevent injury.  Push it and an injury could sideline you.  I learned the hard way.  I also heard and understand, for me, that I need to continue with weight loss first and then speed will naturally follow.  Of course speed work is fun and any improvement in speed feels fantastic.  I have run a 10 min mile but honestly I like a slower pace right now as I increase distance.  When trying to out do my best pace it usually means one sloppy mile and only one mile at that pace.  I know I prefer to go slow and long during my runs.  I am adding sprinting for little workouts for fun because I also like to go fast.  However short and fast or slow and long.....slow and long will win out most every time.   :)    

Very good advice about the recovery week... I'll try to stick to the recommendations. Today's the last day of my scheduled run for my recover week. I'll probably wind up doing some walking tomorrow too, maybe outside if this stinking snow melts! 

• Like 1

and I REALLY like the idea of naming my bike as my trusted steed. Now to just come up with a good name...

• Like 2

The fun part is the name can change each time depending on the weather and type of ride.  Fun/leisure ride?  Distance ride?  Windy day out?  Sunny?  Adventure ride (riding for the joy with no distance, destination, or other goals in mind...just going to go and see where you decide to stop)?  All can influence the name.  LOL  When teaching kiddo to ride (she was very late to finally conquer the bike...scooter kid was her thing for a long time) the bike would become a different steed each time she crashed/started over during a single practice sesstion.  Hopefully you do not crash at all!  LOL

Wonder if naming my running shoes would help?

• Like 1

The fun part is the name can change each time depending on the weather and type of ride.  Fun/leisure ride?  Distance ride?  Windy day out?  Sunny?  Adventure ride (riding for the joy with no distance, destination, or other goals in mind...just going to go and see where you decide to stop)?  All can influence the name.  LOL  When teaching kiddo to ride (she was very late to finally conquer the bike...scooter kid was her thing for a long time) the bike would become a different steed each time she crashed/started over during a single practice sesstion.  Hopefully you do not crash at all!  LOL

Wonder if naming my running shoes would help?

I absolutely love this. This makes me so excited for spring!

It has been a rough few days.

We went to a funeral on Saturday. It was a lovely ceremony, truly sweet, but the circumstances were really awful. I cry at the drop of a hat, so... that was tough.

We went out to an awards dinner on Saturday night for one of our local volunteer squads, which was a lot of fun! I tried to make good food choices. We skipped the rolls, I didn't drink any soda, and I went for the green beans, which I quickly discovered were completely slathered in butter... oh well, I tried! I also ate the fish and I had a very tiny taste of the pasta. Drank a lot of water, but I got a filling a few weeks ago and it hurts like hell when anything cold touches it, so it's sort of hard to eat or drink at all. 

I have slowly been working on squares for grandma's blanket. I keep planning to finish the snowman but something comes up - last night I had an emergency dentist appointment to discuss why my filling hurts so damn much (oh joy) which got in the way of my crafting time. There's always tonight!

My run last night was awful. The recovery week went ok, I managed to keep the mileage up while doing lower impact workouts, but then I was completely unprepared to jump back into the training program. It called for a fifteen minute run and I struggled right from the start. We threw on a movie (Frozen, if you must know) and I started running, hoping that the movie would take my mind off the ever slowing clock. Nope- every time I looked down, only 1 minute had gone by. I run my heart out and look down... 1:57, 1:58, 1:59... I run and watch the movie, forcing myself to not look down until I'm sure it's been five whole minutes... 2:59, 3:00... I watch the entire "Let it Go" sequence and look down ... 3:58, 3:59, 4:00. Finally around halfway into the run I told my husband I was going to need some encouragement to get to the end. Finally, I stop running! and realize I've stopped one minute too early. I walked to warm up a bit, so I should have stopped running at 16 minutes, but I stopped at 15 minutes. ARG!! I know one minute is not a big deal, but it was to me. I was really annoyed about it. Ruined the whole night. I shouldn't have let it ruin the whole night, but it was pretty close to bed time so I just gave up and saved that fight for another day... which is today!

Killed that fifteen minute run the second time around! It was much easier, although I was still counting down the minutes and it was really rough for like the last four minutes. My calves were getting really tight - I know they're getting a better workout than my thighs on this treadmill, so I'm planning to dial back my workout a little when I start running outside again until my legs have caught up. Two miles closer to Mordor!

I finished the snowman project! Almost. I can't get the cap off the special glue to glue on some buttons. I need a wrench. But he's painted on and his scarf is all done. Still working on squares for grandma's blanket. 

Doing great with water, although my hurting filling makes me drink and eat slower so I'm not drinking as much water because I'm anticipating the pain. 

Went out for a geocaching hike yesterday after work - it's still a bit too muddy but I managed to find two that weren't far from the trail. Walked about a mile on the trails. I'm so excited to get back to hiking for miles. I know my husband is not as excited about it. He likes the hiking part, just not the geocaching part too much. 

• Like 1

Despite everything you just keep going.  Awesome.  There are times I am just trying to get that darn run finished.  Be it that last mile or the last 15 minutes.  I found on a treadmill it is best if I take a little piece of electrical tape and tape over whatever is stressing me out (the distance bit or the time bit).  One other little trick I use when I want x number of miles or minutes is that I give myself permission to do less.  "Hey although I want 4 miles, with how I am feeling (mental can be tricky in masking as physical), I will be happy with 2.5-3 but I know I want 4." is what I am thinking.  Usually when I get to 2.5-3 for this example I often find I can do more.  Sometimes all I wanted or even a quarter or half mile more.  Then I feel that great sense of accomplishment and know that even when I only feel like or struggle with it I have experience to prove I can get through it and do more.  :)

• Like 1

Have you run on the treadmill with it elevated any? Should help your quads and your shin muscle.

I might try geocaching, it seems fun.

I will try elevating the treadmill for my run tonight - I haven't really considered it, I've been focusing on cardio over strength lately. I've been trying to increase speed & mileage but it would probably add another layer to my workouts.  

Geocaching is blast! I like it so much I got a geocaching tattoo. It brings you to cool places, you see awesome things, you meet awesome people, and you solve all sorts of puzzles. It's fantastic.

• Like 1

Despite everything you just keep going.  Awesome.  There are times I am just trying to get that darn run finished.  Be it that last mile or the last 15 minutes.  I found on a treadmill it is best if I take a little piece of electrical tape and tape over whatever is stressing me out (the distance bit or the time bit).  One other little trick I use when I want x number of miles or minutes is that I give myself permission to do less.  "Hey although I want 4 miles, with how I am feeling (mental can be tricky in masking as physical), I will be happy with 2.5-3 but I know I want 4." is what I am thinking.  Usually when I get to 2.5-3 for this example I often find I can do more.  Sometimes all I wanted or even a quarter or half mile more.  Then I feel that great sense of accomplishment and know that even when I only feel like or struggle with it I have experience to prove I can get through it and do more.   :)

I try to trick myself into running more all the time! If my plan calls for a fifteen minute run, I'll say, "ok, I'm going to run for ten minutes. I'm not planning to run for fifteen minutes, but if I get to ten and I want to keep going, I'll count that as extra credit." Then I get all sorts of good feels from going the extra distance. It's like sleight of hand for my brain... sleight of brain! 

• Like 1

The next run in my plan was supposed to be a twenty minute run. After struggling a bit with the fifteen minute run, I figured maybe I would take a little extra time working up to this. The levels in this plan are designed to be flexible so I could spend two weeks working on one level until I feel comfortable enough to move on. 

I went out to meet a friend last night and got home super late... Husband was already on the treadmill waiting for me. I sort of idly lifted weights while waiting for him to finish. He normally walks a mile, but last night he went for 1.5 miles. He's been doing 1 mile every time I run. He's such a good support system!

He rode the stationary bike while I ran. The voice in my head was like, "can you do the twenty minute run?" My legs responded with a resounding NO. Maybe it was just because it was later at night than normal, or I'd not had a filling dinner, so maybe I just didn't have the fuel. I managed 1.5 miles although it was really tiring! I alternated running and walking by feel, and upped the speed a bit on the run intervals since I was doing so much walking. (for dinner, I went out to my favorite diner with my friend and ordered mozzarella sticks but they weren't as good as they used to be. I ordered soda and didn't really drink a lot of it. I've been really good with water, but sometimes I just want a taste of soda, not the whole thing!)

Tonight I am planning to log my miles in my journal, finish my snowman's buttons, and see about some geocaches if it's not too muddy!

• Like 2