Starpuck Confronts her Rival

Starpuck

Friday 3/6 - BOOM!  3 of 3!!

And this concludes the strength training portion of my week.

Warmup - 3 minutes jump rope - maybe I need longer rope, derp.

Inverted Ring Rows

3 x 10

Flutter Kicks

3 x 15

Bench Press

1 x 10 x 45

3 x 8 x 85

Side Step Ups

3 x 10 each side

DB Deadlift

3 x 8 x 40 (20# each hand)

Hold/Negative : 36"

Big hockey weekend.     Leaving for St Louis at 10am.   Have hockey games at:

Saturday

5:20pm

10:00pm

Sunday

10:45am

Then driving home, unpacking stinky gear, and going straight to D&D.

We shall see how I do on tracking this weekend.  Could be difficult with lots of potential eating out and hockey beer food tempting.   Though at least I get to eat breakfast at home tomorrow, and continental breakfast at the hotel on Sunday.   Two lunches, 1 dinner to account for.      LET'S DO THIS!!

tumblr_mpmy09YZQO1sz9qdmo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

WEEK 2 FINAL TALLY SUM UP THINGY

GOAL #1 - Journal & Track My Noms

Aka, track calories in/out in MFP!

Target per week:   6+  

No McDonalds Burritos - AT ALL!!

DAYS TRACKED:  7/6

BURRITOS - 0 Woot!

Ok - seriously guys, I actually tracked ON my hockey road trip weekend.   I mean, cmon!  Totes ridic.

GOAL #2 - No More Slacking!  Move, Lift, Bend!

Strength Train 3x/week

Mobility 3x/week

Total Days in Motion 6x/week

STR SESSIONS - 3/3

MOBILITY - 4/3

MOVING DAYS - 6/6

I had 3 days out in the warehouse lifting weights.   I rowed.  I got 10k steps in on a few days, AND I played two hockey games on Saturday and another on Sunday.   Also, our hotel room was at the very far end away from the elevator (3rd floor) so, carrying a 50lb bag 4x back and forth for what was really, honestly, like a city block length walk to our room?  Nuts.   Bonus points?  I only took the elevator ONCE.

GOAL #3 - Be Creative!

Be Creative 1x/week

Total 1/1 - If I count the creative character writing stuff I did this week.

I really wanted to get more drawing in, but the schedule blew chunks for that.   I DID however, write up a new character for a game I play on, and wrote an IC diary for my D&D Tiefling Warlock.   Since I have to prove creativity occurred for the point, tis behind the spoiler.  

I can't say I was expecting this.    I had assumed my life would be lived out on the streets; learning the next con, mastering the art of deception and quickening my hand.     I'd wanted more, sure -- but it seemed so impossible.

Maybe that's why I finally set out from the cobbled roads I knew and gave the horizon beyond a chance to impress me.    Was it my heritage that drew their attention?   Or my desperation?   The Fey creatures I came in contact with found me curious- and when their Queen herself approached me I thought I had met my final moments.  

But she didn't seek my life.  Only my oath.   I stood before Titania, Queen of the Summer Court - and she asked me a seemingly simple question.  "What do you seek child?"

"More than this!  That's for certain.    I have no family.   No friends.    And no power to change any of that. "   Why I chose to say that?  To answer in such a deep and introspective manner, I cannot say.    For all I know she was asking what I sought in her forest...

"And what if I tell you that I can offer you a means to these things?   What then would you say?   What would you be willing to do?"

"Anything!" I had blurted out.  "I would do anything for these things."

The smile that that played across her lips was both entrancing and frightening as she beckoned me forward.    The details of what happened next I am neither at liberty to say, nor capable of fully describing - but I had entered an unbreakable pact with this Arch Fey; and by doing so, I had been granted powers that would no doubt give me the chance to change my fate.

The irony is not lost on me.   I have long fought against the bias and hatred against my kind, against Tieflings, because of the assumption they are in league with powers greater than themselves.    The difference for me is stark.  I have not bartered my soul with some demon or mad god of times long forgotten- I've entered into a contract with one of the great Fey Dieties.   And perhaps that will keep me from slipping down a far darker slope.

When I said I wasn't expecting this it was only in part to explain the origins of my powers.    The other thing I was not expecting was ... this adventure.   I had run into Rodrick, an old friend whom I owe a great deal to.  In truth, he likely saved my life when I was a child.   I was anxious to repay this debt, and so I followed him along on his journey.    There were others there, two brothers, a half-orc, and a gnome that took his leave after things got too grim.     I've found myself looking out for them, even the half-orc who enfuriates me to no end!   Maybe --- maybe this is my chance to find a place to belong... something to be a part of.   To find a family of a sort ... even if it is not one in the traditional sense.    Rodrick's penchant for trouble has not lessened by any means, and now ... finally, I may have the strength to return those favors from so long ago.    I will stay with him.

My only concern is how much to share with him, and the others, should they ask.   It's a delicate affair these pacts, and I'd not have to contemplate this at all save for the fact that we encountered the fair folk on our last endeavor.   When the Satyr made a whispered comment about knowing my name from somewhere, I thought nothing of it.    When the very creature we were sent to stop knew me by name, my heart stopped.    She had thought I had lured them there intentionally, as a gift for her??  I've never met her, I had never even heard her name before.    I imagine that my having entered into this world by means of my oath, has granted me some kind of extended familiarity perhaps?   But still- Titania is Queen of the Summer Court.   And I had not thought that her kind would partake of the flesh of human kind.  

Now my new companions look at me uncertainly ...after I had just managed to garner some trust with them.    I can't tell them.   But if this keeps happening, they will think I am some treacherous con artist... and that is not what I want at all.

I need to strengthen my abilities, strengthen my mind... and my confidence so that Ta'Amon and the others do not find reason to doubt me.    And perhaps I should try and learn more about this hag we encountered- and how it is she knew me by name.

Data, smata.

WEIGHT MONDAY 3/2:  152.8

WEIGHT MONDAY 3/9: 153.7

WTF MATE, Seriously.    I mean, I KNOW that there are things going on.  I just played super sportsball all weekend, AND shark week started yesterday, which is a full 3 days earlier than I expected it to.    But I seriously feel like I am working my ass off just to tread water and it's REALLY PISSING ME OFF!

tumblr_mcz6jvtsJw1rvvd4uo1_500.gif

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

The scale is such a big fat liar that you shouldn't even be looking at it! Maybe once every 3 weeks or  something but every week can certainly be discouraging.  Have you thought about doing measurements instead? With the strength training you're doing, I'd imagine that's a culprit of this supposed "water treading".

Alsoooo holy cow great job last week!

tumblr_m6k8mafdRY1rziwwco1_500.gif

I take measurements too, but only ever other challenge, because I don't foresee much change happening in even 6 week increments, let alone 1 week increments.     The reason I obsess with the scale is not so much because I am focused on dropping weight every week (ok, that is something I am trying to achieve) but because I can't gauge if what I am doing is WORKING or not, if the scale is not doing anything.     

These past two weeks for example - since the weight loss was so ... all over.    Was I eating too much?   Or not enough?   I don't want to waste 6 weeks doing the wrong thing, so I use the scale as a measure of "Am I on the right path or not".       And when it acts like this, I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing, or the wrong thing.

This is my weight graph from Jan 5th (1st challenge of 2015) through current.

That first challenge, I had 4 weeks of being REALLY spot on.   Then I got sick for three weeks.    Obviously during sickness I wasn't eating as well as I should have, and exercise dropped to nil.  (I was really pretty sick for a long time.)   The 2nd challenge, my first two weeks were about near perfect, spotless.    This is what my weight's been doing for 9 weeks.

WeightGraph_zpsn6jnfgpl.png

CALORIES IN VS OUT OVER THE THE LAST 2 WEEKS

DAY     EATEN     MFP "BURNED"     HRM INPUT/FITBIT ADJUST

2/23     1903        1978                     1730 / 248   (2 hockey games, + strength session)

2/24     1362        284                        -----  / 284   (Rest day, did Nooooothing.)

2/25     1697        588                        249  / 339   (Strength Session)

2/26     1408        521                        -----  / 521   (Rest day, but got 8000 steps in)

2/27     2072        1360                      1056 / 304  (Strength Session + Hockey Game)

2/28     1716        404                        -----  / 404   (10,000 Step Day)

3/1       1620        811                        403  / 408   (Strength Session, +10,000 Steps)

3/2       1801        787                        385  / 402   (Strength Session, +10,000 Steps)

3/3       1405        217                        -----  / 217   (Rest Day, 6000 Steps only)

3/4       1640        427                        312  / 115   (Strength Session, 6000 Steps)

3/5       1738        550                        258  / 292   (Rowing, +7000 Steps)

3/6       1747        680                        287  / 393   (Strength Session, 9000 Steps)

3/7       2326        2256                      1444 / 812  (2 Hockey Games, +17,000 Steps)

3/8       1956        999                        651  / 340   (1 Hockey Game, +10,000 Steps)

Some info on the numbers above.  

• The eaten column is straight up calories into mouth.   
  • The MFP "Burned" column is the 'ADDITIONAL exercises calories burned per day, and totals both my manually input numbers from my HR Monitor + the Fitbit's adjustment.  As a note : my fitbit is set to allow for NEGATIVE number adjustments.  (So no, the workouts are not duplicated.)
  • The final column shows what my heart rate monitor tells me I have burned from: hockey, strength workouts, cardio workouts, dancing, etc.    The Fitbit adjustment, is the extra calories per day the Fitbit thinks I burn based off of random walking around and heart rate while at 'rest' at my desk, etc.   Those are in addition to the calories burnt by my input exercise.

So according to those numbers, really, my 'Net calories' look like this:

net%20calories_zpsb3onrqra.png

Most calculators say I have a BMR around 1400ish.     So, according to the fibit+MFP/HRM input, on my double hockey day, I burned 3600 total calories that day?    And on normal strength days, I burn 2000ish?    And on a day where I really do nothing but work, move around at work, and play video games (my rest days) my Fitbit says my amount of mobility still equals 200-500 extra calories burnt?  Just for walking around?

This is why numbers screw me the hell up.    But when I DON'T track, I end up only EATING like 1100 calories a day.  Ugh.

Halp.

eCHsS5g.jpg

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

I don't think you're eating enough

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Two things:

1) measure every other week, but in cm not inches. You'll see change over that period with the granularity cm provides.

2) what alienjenn said. You're not eating enough, which means you're forcing your body to be more metabolically efficient. This is the exact opposite of what you want for weight loss.

Try the TDEE method of calorie goals: take your TDEE and eat 85% of that as your daily intake. You are going to have to look at increasing your calorie dense foods to get there. Think fats and carbs.

Although, you shouldn't do #2 in one jump, as that will cause weight gain. Instead, just add 200 cal a day in for a week, then another 200, etc. until you reach your 85%.

Battle Log of Awesome

Current Challenge: maigrey goes MAD ..ison

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 34(ish), 5(ish)6(ish)7(ish)8(ish)

I think you'd be surprised at the change you can see with measuring yourself more often (every 2-3 weeks maybe?)

Also I agree with what others have said, I don't think you're eating enough either. Have you thought about protein shakes maybe? If you're not wanting to eat more meals, that could be a good way to get the extra calories and extra protein is never a bad thing anyway.  I know personally my activity levels are definitely less than yours (especially in the carido world) and I still try to get around 1900 or more a day and I've been pretty steadily losing weight, though I imagine I'll hit a plateau myself soonish.  I know everyone's different... but just to show you that we're not all just trying to get you to eat more for no reason hahah.

Either way, you're doing great! Even if you've hit a plateau weight wise... how do you feel? That's what's important.  And you're badass as ever!

starbuck-cigar-o.gif

having been on team plateau for a good long while, I TOTALLY FEEL YOU.

but I think it's totally worth trying to eat a little more.

personally I found that on my crazy tae kwon do day where I'm burning, like, 1500 calories in one morning - that I would get home and dissolve into a pool of tears and angst.

do you have that? it's a super helpful reminder to maybe eat more.

but if you focus on just upping the protein, there's some good ways to do that in a way that isn't too many calories at the same time. like, I really like the nature valley protein chey bars - they're 190 calories and 10 g of protein and don't taste too strongly of protein powder. Also I found something called "betty lou's nut balls" which are DELICIOUS and also hilarious to say.

also I 2nd measurements. and if you do the full body set, you can calculate your body fat percent? and see if this is a thing where you're just shifting weight around. it helped me a LOT when I was long-time plateauing to see how my weight was shifting to be more lean mass than fat mass.

if it doesn't make you crazy, maybe daily weighing will be something to consider. but DON'T DO IT if the scale is going to control you. seriously, you have to go into it as if the numbers are just birds singing outside your window in the morning. something important, but not actually relevant to you. I found it helpful to have the long-term trend to look at. when you're only losing 0.1 lbs a month or something nutty (which I was for a long time) it was still helpful to know I was actually losing.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

HOCKEY RECAP!!

Because Joedog asked!   And because it was pretty amazing.     Ok, so first off the road trip was so much fun!    It was sunny, and the further south we went the warmer it got until it was all the way up to 60 degrees and we could go shirtless Jacket-less!   Everyone that was on this trip got along really well, so no drama or kerfuffleness to contend with.

Our first game was at 5:20pm.    We got to the rink and it was ... straaaaange. 

Older, rustic feeling for sure, but it had this beautiful wooden ceiling.  Awesome!

Locker room, on the one side, was so well heated that you could burn your bum on the changing bench.

The ice?   Welll, decent except the zamboni broke on the first attempt to cut it.  (Was fixed for the other games.)

The lights????  HAHAHAHA, It was like playing at dusk.  Soooo dark.   And there was no crease painted on the one side lol.

540704_10151535376789716_1078712746_n.jp

The team that invited us down, the St Louis Frenzy, were amazing hosts.    FIRST!  They actually printed up our team logo and put it on the outside of our locker room door and made us feel like a pro team hehe!   Then, INSIDE our locker room?  A bag full of water, two cases of Red Bull, trail mix packets, granola bars and a bag of jello shots and a bag of pudding shots!!  Hahahah, way to go ladies.

We got out and started our first game.    Super evenly matched teams - which is the absolute best!      We had an exciting back and forth game, and I scored probably one of the sweetest goals of my life!   I read a pass in our zone that was going D to D, and so I poked the puck out over the blue line and took off straight toward their net.  A breakaway!    But I saw defenders on EACH side of me closing in.   I don't know where it came from (from two weeks of eating healthy and exercising, duh) but I found this second gear, pushed the puck forward and just pulled away from them like I turned on the afterburners!    I charged toward the goalie, faked right, deked, back handed it up top shelf and scored.    It looked a lot like this...   except I was WAY faster (I was!!! Shut up!) AND I actually scored!

e3aqi2.gif

It was saaaaaweeeeeeet!

I then topped this by performing an aerial flip to barrel roll, late in the 3rd period, when I tried to deke a player and misjudged my distance from her.  My linemate Megan, who, omg, we made about a zillion tape to tape passes this weekend, always tells me 'You got great moves, you just need to do them 1 second sooner'.   This could not have been more clearly demonstrated, than by this collision.     I was on the left side coming in, and meant to pull up and cut in to the middle (so turn right) right in front of the defender.    My left skate clipped HER skates and when that happens, all that momentum has to go somewhere.   And I've got 150lbs of it!   I went airborn, rolled/flipped/something, then basically did a belly flop on the ice.   The kicker?  My right hand was underneath me when landed, JUST below the ribs and right in my gut.   HHUUUUUUUUUURRRRRK!   Air. Gone.    I layed on the ice for a bit, and then there were faces all over me lol.  "You ok?"   -- "Yeah, just knocked the wind out of myself."   "You sure?"   "Yeah, nothing hurts.  (yet)"  lol.   Coach and teammie helped me up.   And I took a shift rest before finishing off the game.   It looked a lot like this, except I had enough rotation to end up belly to the ice lol.  (Probably good thing too, less things to bruise if you land belly flop style).

iG4mbzkpQsSZV.gif

After the game, the girl I collided with came out of the handshake line and wanted to make sure I was ok.  She said they had a lot of doctors on the team, and she could grab one if I was hurt.  I assured her that, No, I was fine and I absolutely knew it was my bad.   That I had just tried to cut in and misjudged my position.   Still, just all in all a classy team, lots of fun and afterward, we went to the same bar and all mingled.

Our second game was against a lower level team - so we put one of our skaters in as goalie, let our goalie skate out and moved everyone's positions.   We still won by quite a bit, and once we were up by 3, we stopped outright skating around them and instead tried to just make other passes, or pressure them without stealing the puck when they had it.   It's a fine line to dance, and about impossible to get right.   No one wants to get pummeled 20-1.  But there's a matter of pride too and you don't want a team to go too easy on you to the point where it becomes toying.   

There was a disappointment in this game though for me, and that came by way of witnessing the actions of one of our sub-player teammates.  I've known her for years.  She's a goofball, and funny, and great in the locker room.  But she's ... (and maybe I've just grown more empathy lately) she's mean.    This lower level team we played had some older, bigger, women on it.    For me?  I see that and I am in awe of them.    If you're over 250lbs, and your hair is grey, and you decided to take up and play hockey?   YOU. ARE. AMAZING.      Yes, she was really not very steady on her skates yet, but she was out there and trying!     And this teammate of mine (who is legally absolutely blind in one eye) kept running into her.   And getting pissed at the other woman.    To the point of, at one collision, screaming, "Move it fat ass."    I was so pissed.   I mean, it's hockey, I get it.   Call her a bitch, that's fine.  But don't you dare attack her personally like that.    So that disappointed me quite a bit.   Thankfully, we didn't play that team again, because by that point, shit was stirred between both teams.

We went back to the hotel, showered, and tried to sleep.   Stupid DST stole an hour from us, and then we were up by 8:30am the next morning to play our final game against the first, more evenly matched team.   We won 3-1 on that game, and while I didn't have any epic goals or ridiculous aerial routines, I still felt really solid out there and the other team was super fun again.

My teammie Amanda, who is also trying to watch her weight, and was ALSO using an app to track her calories, made it so awesome for me!    We compared notes, and helped each other make better food choices, and on Sunday, we split a salad and quesadilla so we could each have some of the yummy, but also the healthy.     It was really really awesome weather on Sunday too.  (Until we got back to Chicago's grey skies and low 40s lol.)  

The weekend was a total whirlwind, but it was amazing!     You never know when the last time to do something like that will be, so I really try to cherish every chance I get to do a 'hockey roadtrip'.

Here's a pic of both teams at the bar. :)

10458606_10203641157421400_7761652591358

• Like 3

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

St Louis girls are crazy. I'll just leave that there.  :D

Sounds like hockey was awesome. I really wish we could have come up there. Except I would have probably been the gray haired over 250 girl.  :tongue:

When I get some time later today I'm going to write down this method for figuring target calories that has worked well for me. (The method works well, my ability to stick with it is highly suspect.) 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

A user on MFP called Helloitsdan came up with this program. He calls it In Place of a Road Map. Link takes you to the post in the MFP forums where he describes it in great detail with lots of background information and links. About halfway down the page you come to the actual instructions. In case you don't feel like reading all the background I'll paraphrase it here. Go to this website and use the tools there to calculate BF% by measurement. Or you can use the number from scales or handheld device. He talks about how important it is to know BF% but it really isn't required for the next calculation. On that same webpage you'll see a button marked BMR Calc. Go to that one next. Fill in the required information. Make sure to put in the same weight for "current weight" and "Goal weight". 

If you don't plug in your BF% it only gives you one number for BMR. The other formula requires it. So when I plug my numbers in one formula says my BMR is 2163 cals, the other says 1911 cals. It has the little activity level chart below that gives my goal calories based on my activity. I'm lightly active so that gives me a TDEE of 2974 cals. That means I need to eat 2974 cals per day to maintain my current weight (oh, it's so hard to admit that). Now obviously you don't want to maintain that weight since we set goal and current the same. I'm shooting for a 20% deficit so my target calories for the day is 2379. But I also know that as long as I stay below my TDEE I will be okay. I might even try zig zagging calories and bouncing between 2100 and 2500 days so that my weekly average works out to that 2379 number. 

If that's still too much numbers and obsessive fiddly shit, I can run the numbers for you. Just need height, age, current weight and BF% (optional). 

That offer stands for anyone who is reading this. I like fiddling with the numbers. You can PM me if you don't want all those numbers floating around in public. 

• Like 3

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

AWESOME HOCKEY RECAP!

and I don't know anything about hockey.

except that you are clearly the most amazing.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

A user on MFP called Helloitsdan came up with this program. He calls it In Place of a Road Map. Link takes you to the post in the MFP forums where he describes it in great detail with lots of background information and links. About halfway down the page you come to the actual instructions. In case you don't feel like reading all the background I'll paraphrase it here. Go to this website and use the tools there to calculate BF% by measurement. Or you can use the number from scales or handheld device. He talks about how important it is to know BF% but it really isn't required for the next calculation. On that same webpage you'll see a button marked BMR Calc. Go to that one next. Fill in the required information. Make sure to put in the same weight for "current weight" and "Goal weight". 

If you don't plug in your BF% it only gives you one number for BMR. The other formula requires it. So when I plug my numbers in one formula says my BMR is 2163 cals, the other says 1911 cals. It has the little activity level chart below that gives my goal calories based on my activity. I'm lightly active so that gives me a TDEE of 2974 cals. That means I need to eat 2974 cals per day to maintain my current weight (oh, it's so hard to admit that). Now obviously you don't want to maintain that weight since we set goal and current the same. I'm shooting for a 20% deficit so my target calories for the day is 2379. But I also know that as long as I stay below my TDEE I will be okay. I might even try zig zagging calories and bouncing between 2100 and 2500 days so that my weekly average works out to that 2379 number. 

If that's still too much numbers and obsessive fiddly shit, I can run the numbers for you. Just need height, age, current weight and BF% (optional). 

That offer stands for anyone who is reading this. I like fiddling with the numbers. You can PM me if you don't want all those numbers floating around in public. 

^^  This is what I was talking about regarding looking at your TDEE :)

Battle Log of Awesome

Hey all!

First of all...

tumblr_inline_njrybw65BM1s5jr5a.gif

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice, I promise I am looking at it and getting ready to take it.  It's just a scary leap!    I HAVE lost weight really well before, and I did it without tracking.   (But after the fact, had come to find out I was eating very very small calorie amounts... and that scared me.  And I hit a plateau.  And I gained it all back.)  And my best losses back in old WW days came from zig-zagging points, so I need to incorporate that.

I also want to get to the point mentally and emotionally where my weight on a scale is just whatever the hell it is, and is a side effect of my HEALTHY lifestyle.    But I'm not there quite yet.    Work in progress.

Hockey weekend was awesome fun.   Those same girls are coming up to OUR rink this weekend, so I have two really fun games to look forward to!    My lifting days are gonna end up on the same days as my hockey days most likely... arg!   Woops!    Ah well.   This means I have to find a way to eat tons of extra calories on those days, without reaching for crap.   Nuts, avocado, maybe nut butter on fruit, let's plan this girl, yeah.

Weather here is being super nice.   Which is AWESOME!  But also likely a big fat tease.   So whenever the shoe drops and we get back to being chilly... prepare for angry emo Starpuck!

• Like 2

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

TUESDAY

Dance Central

45 minutes

10 minutes stretching

I am trying to soothe my OCD by getting 5 stars, on all 3 difficulties for all songs, going down the list.

The darn Salsa song is kicking my butt!   Cannot get 5 stars!!!!

giphy.gif

WEDNESDAY

Whse Strength

Warmup - 3 min jump rope, starting to add fancy feet!

Bench Press

1 x 10 x 45 (warm up)

1 x 5 x 75

1 x 5 x 85

2 x 5 x 95

1 x 5 x 85

Glute Bridge

3 x 15

Planks, regular

3 x 60" - woot!

Deadlifts

3 x 5 x 85

**Have not done barbell deadlifts since before my MCL injury.

Assisted Pull Ups

7 | 6 | 5

**I was super tired on these today ...

Hold/Negative : 30"  (was already blasted from the pull ups)

I also pulled my neck muscle while doing pull ups, because for some dumb reason I turn my head left at the top of the bar... STAHP THAT STARPUCK!

Anyway, took Monday as my rest day since it made sense what with the crazy hockey weekend.    And so long as I don't bail out on anything, should be able to get all my lifts and moves in again this week!

• Like 2

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

This means I have to find a way to eat tons of extra calories on those days, without reaching for crap.   Nuts, avocado, maybe nut butter on fruit, let's plan this girl, yeah.

... or just straight nut butter.   Jason's nut butters sells them in single serving packs. :)

Battle Log of Awesome

Jason's nut butters

^/snicker

• Like 3

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

THURSDAY

Sunny Day and 56 degrees?

In Chicago - that means it's outdoor running time.

EXCEPT!!!

I have not run, at all, since September of 2014 before my knee went POP!

So it felt sorta like this...

tumblr_mkz8srvIUH1snvsg4o1_500.gif

I did about 2.15 miles, but I took it super like, carefree whatever, yay it's sunny and I'm outside pace and mindset.

I ran for a while, then I'd walk, then I'd run, then I'd walk.   I ran up to Target, and spent some time shopping in there.    They didn't have what I wanted so I ran over to Walgreens, and then shopped in there.  Then I ran back to where my street connects, walked a bit, ran a bit, so on and so on.  The entire outing, shopping included and the 5 minutes of stretching, took 45 minutes.     It FELT SO GOOD!  (Omg did I just say running felt good??)

My knee -- I am unsure what to make of it.   When I'd run, the first say, ten strides were great/fine.  Then the spot I injured would get tweaky for like ten strides, then it'd get quiet.    It happened every time I shifted from walking to running.   And it wasn't sharp pain, just tweaky pain.    I did do deadlifts yesterday and glute bridges, so some of the stabilizers in the knee area may have still been tired from that.   

I will see what it does tomorrow.   I wouldn't be HEARTbroken if running were no longer ideal for me with the knee, but that said, I DO enjoy the quick calorie burn and midichlorian rise from running, even if I don't enjoy the actual activity of it too much.   So I'd like to still have it as a summer cardio option.

ALSO ALSO!

The Fitbit ChargeHR, as suggested by Fitbit themselves, performed FAR better with a running/walking activity.   It was able to accurately match the Polar HRM on the heart rate zones I was hitting and running in, and the caloric burn came out to be within 20 total of the Polar's tracked calories burned.   I did feel like I needed to keep pulling it up my arm to keep it from sliding out of position from sweat, but it performed very admirably on the run/walk!

• Like 1

Level 72 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Woo running...? I feel a little dirty saying that, but any excuse to get out in the sun is a good one. Hopefully it's just your knee getting used to that movement again and not anything too serious. Running might suck, generally, but it's certainly an easy thing to do on any given day (snowstorms notwithstanding...)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Woo running...? I feel a little dirty saying that, but any excuse to get out in the sun is a good one. Hopefully it's just your knee getting used to that movement again and not anything too serious. Running might suck, generally, but it's certainly an easy thing to do on any given day (snowstorms notwithstanding...)

Or hurricanes.  Don't run in hurricanes. 

Starpuck, you're amazing me!  Good work girl friend!  I am so awed that you can lift heavy and then go play hockey that night.  Yesterday I lifted heavy (for me) and then... stumbled over to the grocery store locking my knees every step to keep the legs working! You're a badass!

I definitely feel you for the weight thing.  I have never come anywhere near approaching where weight is just a number, and what is important is how I feel.  I feel like if I could get to a number on the scale I was happy with that coincided with a look in the mirror I was happy with that coincided with a size of clothes that was easy to find, then I could start holding on to that look and letting go of that number.  It requires all the life style things to fall in to place though, so that you can hold onto that effortlessly, just because the effort is the effort you spend just living your life.  Because it is just, what you do! Its not "OMG I WENT TO THE GYM", its "Yeah... I just got back from the gym, because that's what I do".  

Ya feel me? 

EYF2aPt.gif

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.â€- Mahatma Gandhi