Ready For Action - SkiBlue Challenge Seven

SkiBlue

After completing a true Whole30 back in January, I'm ready for action.

Main Goal: Drop body fat percentage by 10%.

Not going to happen overnight, and that's okay with me. Here's the plan to get that started and going.

Goal #1 (+3 CON): Stay eating Whole30. I came off the Whole30 at the end of January and never should have. So I'm going back. I started last Monday and plan on keeping it going through the entire challenge. I plan to follow a good deal of their recommendations about meal-planning too, not just the required rules, with Steve's advice for losing fat tossed in (more fats on rest days, more carbs on workout days).

Goal #2 (+3 STA): SLEEP. Eating Whole30 has greatly improved my sleep, but not completely. I plan on GETTING up and going to bed at the same time every night. 5:30am was when I naturally woke up (hungry) during the last two weeks of January, and I'd like to get in bed BEFORE 9pm to help regulate my sleep cycle even more.

Goal #3 (+3 STR): Exercise. Three times a week. I'm going to pick up on my strength training routine where I left off.

Goal #4 (+3 DEX): Correcting my posture, all of it. Pick up and continue with my anterior pelvic tilt stretch routine and do it EVERY. DAY. I also plan on adding some general posture therapy into it as well. It came from an article about how you can reset your balance or something to the Earth itself using simple baby movements. I wish I could find the article, but alas, the Google Machine is failing me.

I will be adding posts with some starting stats, a link to my challenge spreadsheet for added accountability, and the routine for APT/posture and workouts. 

HA! I just found the posture thing I was talking about! (Let's not talk about the fact that I spent ten minutes, when writing my original challenge post, typing in all sorts of variations on the title of the blog post I was looking for and coming up empty handed into Google search, when the link I'd been looking for was in my Master Quest Google docs file...)

It's called Vestibular Reset. The information presented in the blog post and video made sense to me. It's also a family thing, to start hunching at the shoulders and starting to look like a question mark. I planned on adding that to my anterior pelvic tilt correction routine (found here, though I'm subbing the deadlifts for partner hamstring raises) to help with my over-all posture problems. Going to be hitting the posture routine first thing in the morning, so that I don't forget it during the day.

Here is my workout routine for the next four weeks, at the least. Warm-up routine was designed to help with the movements in the main workout, followed by some over-all recovery stretching. Short version as follows: alternate workout A and B during the week; A is shoulder press, inverted rows, back squats and B is bench press, assisted pull-ups, and deadlifts, with a core exercise to finish.

This is my challenge progress record. Just for added accountability. Since it's ridiculously late, I'll probably sleep through my 5:30am alarm. >.< With having tomorrow off of work, it'll be a cooking day for me. Pork is already in the crock pot. :)

• Like 1

Okay, here are the starting stats, since I forgot to post them yesterday.

179lb and 38% BF.

Yesterday was a well-rounded day. Staying up way too late definitely made getting up hard, so I slept in, but kept to everything else in my goals. It also ended up being a pretty chill day for me, so I ended up not really prep cooking much of anything. That's okay, since I don't go back to work until Thursday; I shouldn't need food pre-cooked until then.

Today is going better. Woke up earlier, but not at the aimed 5:30am. Probably going to progressively reach 5:30am, since I'm not far enough into my Whole30 that waking up then is just what happens. I woke up at 8am this morning, so I will aim for 7:30am tomorrow.

Also, HabitRPG is kinda awesome. I'm filling it out now for challenge stuff.

Your posture/atp stuff is really interesting! I'm a lifetime sloucher who is now sitting in front of her computer in a hunch  with a straight back (thanks for the reminder)... Looks like a lot of core engagement! 

Love your spreadsheet :)

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Your posture/atp stuff is really interesting! I'm a lifetime sloucher who is now sitting in front of her computer in a hunch  with a straight back (thanks for the reminder)... Looks like a lot of core engagement! 

Love your spreadsheet :)

Thanks! Posture has been a growing problem with me. I wouldn't call it genetics, but it is a family tendency (my brother could be several inches taller if he wasn't hunched over a bit at the shoulders). My hips have been a big problem for the longest time, so I figured that I would try to hit everything at once anyway.

Yesterday was a bad goal-meeting day. Slept in (I couldn't stay asleep to save my life), went to bed at 1am (table top miniature game lasted five hours >.<) and dinner hadn't defrosted all the way, so takeout happened. I'm going to tell you, when he's doing it too, my fiancee is NOT a very good supporter. It's been driving him crazy since Day 1 (which was Monday for him); he apparently doesn't know what to eat, and keeps getting frustrated because he has to come up with something and cook it. Sounds like I'm not the only one in this household with bad eating habits. He constantly thinks about food, food he can't have currently, constantly feels hungry, and is paranoid as all get-out that he's going to wither away because he's not eating enough. I really wish that he would listen to me when I try to explain to him that it's his hormones being off-balance that is still making him feel hungry, that if he just manipulated the macros on his plate and added more here and there that he wouldn't be having this problem. He can't even stick to it for more than a day at a time. While I should still be trying to help him, I don't think I should hold back my own progress; I should be the voice of reason and keep to it, hoping that he will follow suit. *shrug* I did get my workout and posture routine done (while accidentally landing on the dog a few times, he really doesn't have much common sense in that area).

Anyway. Snowed here until 12:30am last night. Kept calling work to see if we were closed and hear nothing. Woke up this morning about an hour ago, kept checking the phone service to see if we were closed; no updates. Get ready for work and check email and website before doing anything else: we're closed (which had been sent/posted last night, let's not talk about that though...). THEN UPDATE YOUR PHONE SERVICE, it's driving your paranoid employees crazy!! While I only went to bed at 1am, I'm not tired right now, so I'll count that toward a "woke up at alarm" check and stay up to finish some prep-cooking and eat breakfast. Maybe I'll play in the snow with my dog later.

(Note, they FINALLY just updated the phone service, and whoever recorded that message freaked me out and must either know me, distinct possibility, or knows SOMEONE who has ferrets...)

Past two and a half days have not been good (too much red on my challenge progress sheet). Going to start putting myself first, since that seems to be the failing. Didn't go to bed on time (1am, actually) because of friends and gaming. Waking up late makes for poor choices through-out the day. Sticking to my guns from now on; if I need to be in bed, good night! (Which means, I need to run. >.<)

You have some really good goals, but they would be very difficult without support. 

Stick to your guns girl! :)

That stuff about posture is really interesting. I think I'm going to have to incorporate it into my workouts because I sit at a desk all day!

Wow I really like your spreadsheet, looks amazing.

Good luck for the next 5 weeks xx

• Like 1

Level 1 Adventurer

Race: Human/Hobbit

Current stats: STR-1  DEX-1  STA-2  CON-1  WIS-2  CHA-3

Current Challenge

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Distance to Rivendell

0%
0%

You have some really good goals, but they would be very difficult without support. 

Stick to your guns girl! :)

That stuff about posture is really interesting. I think I'm going to have to incorporate it into my workouts because I sit at a desk all day!

Wow I really like your spreadsheet, looks amazing.

Good luck for the next 5 weeks xx

Thanks! The last time I did the Whole30, I kind of had to do it on my own, and I did really well with it. This time, since I was supposed to have a partner, is proving more difficult. Being so confided by rules drove him nuts, so much so that he felt depressed, so he's decided that it's not very good for him. I'm on my own again, so I've got to gather a bit of extra fortitude to push through and make my own decisions without worrying about his.

I'm glad that my posture research has sparked some interest, as I'm glad to be helping people with similar problems. :)

• Like 2

Despite my lack of conviction, I'm down 3lb and about 1% body fat. Not bad, though I'm not measuring my success on that. I set out to, at least, complete another Whole30, and that's what I plan to do. Nothing compares to how I felt after those first two weeks. It changed everything. I will get there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Doing much better now. Went to the grocery store last night, so there's actually food in the house. Accidentally slept through my get up and workout alarm this morning, but it's better than missing the go to work alarm. I'll hit the workout after I get home from work. Just need to hope I eat enough before then (work is a bit crazy today, not sure if I'll get a lunch). 

• Like 2

Goal #2 (+3 STA): SLEEP. Eating Whole30 has greatly improved my sleep, but not completely. I plan on GETTING up and going to bed at the same time every night. 5:30am was when I naturally woke up (hungry) during the last two weeks of January, and I'd like to get in bed BEFORE 9pm to help regulate my sleep cycle even more.

Sleep is an ellusive mistress....  But I have found that paying attention to the things that effect your sleep car really be a big help.  A few tips I have learned -

• Vitamin D stops melatonin production!  I take supplements currently (as living in Maine at the moment means extreme lack of sun exposure) and take them as soon as I get up.
  • What has been dubbed "Blue light" stops melatonin production.  So stay away from anything that emits this type of light for a while before bed.  I'm a backpacker so I have taken advantage of my headlamp which has a red light, which has been shown to be the next best thing to absolute darkness.

sorry for lack of sources, I can't seem to find them at the moment!  But I can tell you I have been feeling much more rested everyday, and I haven't been late for work in the last couple weeks since starting to use these!

• Like 1

Level 3 wood elf  Class Scout

Challenges: 1, 2, Current

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

Doing much better now. Went to the grocery store last night, so there's actually food in the house. Accidentally slept through my get up and workout alarm this morning, but it's better than missing the go to work alarm. I'll hit the workout after I get home from work. Just need to hope I eat enough before then (work is a bit crazy today, not sure if I'll get a lunch). 

I did that last night, too... re-stock the fridge so I don't go straight to the barcoded food! What's your go-to for lunch at work when you're going to work out in the afternoon/evening?

• Like 2

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

It's so much easier when you have real food in the house isnt it.

My boy has  heap of junk he likes to eat (coke, cookies ect) but has to keep them in the study so when I'm looking for food I dont see it!

Level 1 Adventurer

Current Challenge

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Distance to Rivendell

0%
0%

Sleep is an ellusive mistress....  But I have found that paying attention to the things that effect your sleep car really be a big help.  A few tips I have learned -

• Vitamin D stops melatonin production!  I take supplements currently (as living in Maine at the moment means extreme lack of sun exposure) and take them as soon as I get up.
  • What has been dubbed "Blue light" stops melatonin production.  So stay away from anything that emits this type of light for a while before bed.  I'm a backpacker so I have taken advantage of my headlamp which has a red light, which has been shown to be the next best thing to absolute darkness.

sorry for lack of sources, I can't seem to find them at the moment!  But I can tell you I have been feeling much more rested everyday, and I haven't been late for work in the last couple weeks since starting to use these!

Thanks for the tips! I stopped taking my Vitamin D sup, so I guess I should start taking it again. I also just got some orange glasses to wear at night. They seem to be helping. 

I did that last night, too... re-stock the fridge so I don't go straight to the barcoded food! What's your go-to for lunch at work when you're going to work out in the afternoon/evening?

My to-go lunch for work is usually the same no matter if I work out before or after work. I tend to bring either some form of chicken and veggies or pork and veggies to work, but if I'm exercising after work, I prep for it throughout the day. I will eat a bigger breakfast than normal, with some extra protein and carbs. For lunch, I'll bring a little bigger portion than normal, and some fat/protein snack, like nuts and home-made jerky. Dinner ends up being post-workout meal.

It's so much easier when you have real food in the house isnt it.

My boy has  heap of junk he likes to eat (coke, cookies ect) but has to keep them in the study so when I'm looking for food I dont see it!

I have to do the same thing. My fiancee hides his food on shelves in the pantry that I can't usually see or get to easily. 

So, I had a mild emotional breakdown on Thursday because I feel like I've been failing really hard these past two weeks. I set out to do something, something I've done before, and I've been stressing out over the fact that I can't seem to get it right again. It ended up making me feel pretty emotionally exhausted. I told my fiancee about it, and he was extremely helpful, reminding me that it's hard, but that I should just focus on doing what makes me feel good. Since I've been struggling again lately with tying my success to my self-worth, it was very good advice. Doing what makes me feel good, which means eating right and sleeping right, will make me feel better, and that I shouldn't worry and stress so much about it otherwise. Just having him understand was helpful too.

That was on Thursday. I'm doing much better now. Exercised yesterday, so I'm going to need some extra stretching and foam rolling to go with my posture routine for the day. Gonna focus on adding extra protein and fat in my meals today as well, to help with the sore. I'll be working out tomorrow before work, so I'm going to be extra careful to go to bed on time, especially since we lose an hour tonight.

• Like 1

Just a quick update:

It would seem that I'm being a bit too hard on myself for the past two weeks. Despite so much red on my spreadsheet, I'm down to 169.4lb and 35.2% body fat. With the pep talk and these results, I should be able to make much better decisions for the next four weeks. 

• Like 1

I spent the better part of yesterday in a mangled stress ball... largely due to eating crap and stuff that was outside my control (ie, I should have chosen to let go of it). exercised the bad food away, and the emotions are stabilizing. We are such interconnected beings, you can't tweak one system without funking up another. 

glad to hear you're cutting yourself some slack. Now to celebrate your awesomeness, because you're rocking this!

Well done on the loss. It's so easy to get caught up and self hate but it seems you are going well xx

Level 1 Adventurer

Current Challenge

Distance to Rivendell

0%
0%

I spent the better part of yesterday in a mangled stress ball... largely due to eating crap and stuff that was outside my control (ie, I should have chosen to let go of it). exercised the bad food away, and the emotions are stabilizing. We are such interconnected beings, you can't tweak one system without funking up another. 

glad to hear you're cutting yourself some slack. Now to celebrate your awesomeness, because you're rocking this!

Well done on the loss. It's so easy to get caught up and self hate but it seems you are going well xx

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm trying really hard not to get too mean to myself about slacking off. I've been following and subscribing to Summer Innanen and recently read Sexy by Nature, both of which are geared toward changing body image and how you feel about yourself in order to help you change your mindset from a dietary one into a healthy, healing one. Like, instead of hating how you are now and trying desperately to change, you love and accept yourself as you are and nurture your body with healthy foods. I'm focusing on the really small things right now, like changing how I deal with bad choices and good choices. It's really tough, but I'm probably going to be adding it as side quest in the next challenge.

This week has been more a product of unpreparedness than anything, on top of a good deal of work stress. But I woke up on time this morning and cooked lunch so I would have it for the next two days at work. Granted, dinner from last night still has me queasy, so I'm eating a light breakfast instead of a full one. Which reminds me, I should defrost something for dinner tonight...

• Like 1

Sexy by Nature is great. I should really read it again.

3lbs in the wrong direction yesterday. I'm not too bent out of shape about it though. This past week was hard for me. I've taken the time yesterday and today to prepare better, which seems to be working (pineapple and red pepper jerky smells so awesome...). My emotional exhaustion slump seems to be passing.

• Like 1

3lbs in the wrong direction yesterday. I'm not too bent out of shape about it though. This past week was hard for me. I've taken the time yesterday and today to prepare better, which seems to be working (pineapple and red pepper jerky smells so awesome...). My emotional exhaustion slump seems to be passing.

As my sister would say... BOOM!  :triumphant:

I had a bad dream the other night that I'd done screwed up the flight plans and we never got to Anaheim. It was terrifying.

Work has been crazy this past week and a half. My co-worker had to leave due to a family emergency (by leave, I mean he drove to Michigan from North Carolina in a day). My schedule has been changing DAILY since then, which was Thursday last week (two weeks ago, technically). Since part of my job responsibility is to teach class, I had to be at work to teach those classes. I've had several half days this past week, but they ended up being longer than planned because, well, work. GAH!

My co-worker is back, and my schedule as returned to normal. Needless to say, I haven't had the chance to prep ANYTHING last week. I took the time on Thursday and Saturday (my only full days off) to prep some food to bring with me this week.