Iyona (rgbb) - Ready for the challenge and the change!

rgbb

I’m Iyona and this is my first challenge!  I have steadily gained 30 unhealthy pounds and several dresses sizes over the past five years.  Food is my favorite form of comfort, therapy, celebration, and procrastination; thanks to work, excuses, and a hefty dose of ADD I haven’t been able to get a grasp on a healthy lifestyle. 

I had high hopes of losing weight for my wedding this past fall, but went about it in the wrong way (relied on pre-packaged "diet" food, over-exercised, jumped on the scale multiple times a day, put myself down).  I lost weight quickly then gained it all back!  I learned that 1) self-esteem in my own skin is the most important thing, 2) slow and steady wins the race, and 3) I want to try it again, the right way.  Plus, our yet-to-be-planned-but-soonish-honeymoon-with-a-new-bikini and my upcoming HS reunion are amping up my motivation.    

My focus right now is food before exercise so that I can build a firm foundation for long-lasting change.  I have a mighty hard time with organization and follow-through when there are too many different steps, so I'm keeping it simple  :glee: 

Main Quest:

Drop about 2 dress sizes by November to increase my energy, reclaim my health, and fit back into some of my favorite clothes from years past.  This will be somewhere around 20-30 pounds and 20-25 overall inches.    

For this 6-week challenge, I’d truly be happy to master my mini-quests, lose a few pounds, and to be able to comfortably wear my most recently purchased pair of jeans again.    

Quest 1:

Eat at least 2 "freggies" per day.  Right now I eat them *maybe* once every two weeks.  I have big dreams of going to the farmer’s market on a weekly basis this summer and actually eating the fruits and veggies I buy.            

Quest 2:

Drink only water, green tea, and milk as my liquids during the challenge (the occasional alcoholic drink is okay, I only have one every 2-3 weeks at most). I want to stay hydrated and fend off the heartburn!    

Quest 3:

No "sweet treats."  Candy, pastries, donuts, cookies, ice cream, hot chocolate . . . This will by far be the hardest, but I want to push myself to do something courageous. I don't believe in living a life without desserts, but at this point I haven't been able to have "just one." My sweet tooth is strong!  For this challenge I'm not completely cutting out all sugar across the board; this is just focusing on the snack/dessert aspect.

Fine Print:  In March, my husband and I are taking advantage of a couple discounted 3-course meals at some of the best restaurants in our city.  These may include a dessert - if so, I'll eat it.  If not, I won't order one.  Also, my mom volunteers at my work once a week.  She brings me a special hot chocolate and we chat together while drinking our morning beverage.  I will probably still do this to keep our tradition going.  That's it! 

Life Quest:

Read The Fellowship of the Ring.  I have loved the movies since they came out and seen all three of them dozens of times, but I have never read the books!  I tried to read The Fellowship in high school but didn't make it very far.  Reading has always been one of my favorite activities and I've been good about making time for it this past year.  

Motivation:  

Me!  I want to feel confident, strong, and healthy.  There’s a bold and brave person inside me who’s been dying to get out.  I want to appreciate the wonderful life, husband, and dog-babies that I have and to honor my body and my health.

I'm also doing this for my stomach - it's overly sensitive and it just needs a little TLC.  

Week 1 Measurements:

Neck: 14 in.  

Arms: 14.25 in.

Chest: 39 in.

Waist: 36.25 in.  (Main Quest: ~32 in.)

Belly Button: 41 in.  (Main Quest: ~35 in.)

Hips: 47 in. (Main Quest: ~40 in.)

Thighs: 26.5 in.

Calves: 15.5 in.

Weight:  185 lb. (Main Quest: below 165 lb.)

Height: 5'8"

I took so many measurements because I want to see what changes happen around my body.  Since I'm not doing any exercise (aside from the occasional walk or hike), I'm curious what simply cutting out sweets/desserts, adding in fruits and veggies, and drinking more water will do for me.  Included are a few goal measurements for my Main Quest, though I'd be happy to lose some inches elsewhere as well.  I won't be upset not to lose any weight or inches after this challenge.  I'll take my next set of measurements in Week 6, and won't be tracking throughout.  

NF Mini-Quests:

Week 1: Let's get SMART +1 WIS (completed)

Week 2: Making Friends +1 CHA (completed)

Week 3: The Library +1 WIS (completed)

Week 4: Checking Your Starting Credits (completed)

Week 5: The Cafeteria +1 CON (completed)

Week 6:

• Like 4

High Wood Elf - Level 2

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge:  2.2  Past Challenges:  2.1  1        A little about me . . .

I go to the farmer's market once a week, buy veggies and incorporate those into my meals.  I only buy what looks good, what i know i will eat and only enough for one week.  That way I'm forced to use those veggies (and no others) when I'm cooking.  I've learnt to make some really amazing things and learnt to love a whole more veggies (not that it was a problem for me to start with).

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Adventurers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hi there! 

I am an emotional eater, too, and I have been battling Sugar Monsters, Snack Monsters (especially of the Emo kind) ever since I joined NF.

I don't know if going cold turkey on sweets / candy / etc. will work for you, I only know that for me it wouldn't. So when I started here, I eased my way into it: In my first week of the challenge, I'd allow myself sweet stuff on 6 days out of 7, the second week I'd reduce it to 5 days, and so on, ending up with 1 "sweet" day per week at the end of the challenge. 

Just a thought, but you'll know best what works for you and what doesn't. :) 

Good luck and "have fun storming the castle"! :star:

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Hey Swampling - thanks for the advice!  Yes, I know how hard it can be to go "cold turkey", eek!  I have tried several times in the past and been both tremendously successful and ridiculously unsuccessful.  I also find that when I try to ease out of it, I have such a hard time controlling myself!  My hope this time around is that when I do get that sugar craving, I'll replace it with a lovely piece of fruit   :apple:  These are high hopes indeed and I like your suggestion of taking out one day a week - I will keep that in mind if I find the complete cold turkey too difficult.  Thanks! 

High Wood Elf - Level 2

Current Challenge:  2.2  Past Challenges:  2.1  1        A little about me . . .

Great challenge! Starting with one fruit and one veggie each day is a wonderful place to start. Small changes add up to make a big difference.

• Like 1

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

Challenge Thread || Walking PVP Thread

Level: 0 - Future Assassin || STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Walking 1,000 Miles in 2015 // 167.30 miles as of March 7, 2015

16.7%
16.7%

Body Fat Percentage // 44% as of January 1, 2015

44%
44%

Hi Iyona!  Thanks for commenting on my thread - you're right we are practically quest twins in some of our quest goals. I am following and look forward to reaching some of these goals together! 

• Like 1

On my way to becoming a (wizardly) Warrior Princess!

Level 0

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 |

Day 1:

Quest 1 - apple, banana, lots of spinach/lettuce on my sandwich

Quest 2 - water only!

Quest 3 - resisted temptation for all sweets

When I got to work in the morning I was hungry and thought, "Ooh, I left cookies in my desk, I'll just have one of those!"  I was literally reaching for the bag when I remembered my goals.  I had a banana and water instead!

Right after work was the hardest part of the day.  It was one of those afternoons where I definitely would have picked up a soda and cookies on the way home.  For about 5 minutes I really resented signing up for this challenge.  THEN, I came home, had a sandwich and a big glass of ice cold water, and played with my pups.  How awesome it felt to stay strong!     

• Like 3

High Wood Elf - Level 2

When I got to work in the morning I was hungry and thought, "Ooh, I left cookies in my desk, I'll just have one of those!"  I was literally reaching for the bag when I remembered my goals.  I had a banana and water instead!

Right after work was the hardest part of the day.  It was one of those afternoons where I definitely would have picked up a soda and cookies on the way home.  For about 5 minutes I really resented signing up for this challenge.  THEN, I came home, had a sandwich and a big glass of ice cold water, and played with my pups.  How awesome it felt to stay strong!     

Way to go!!!!

• Like 1

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

Level: 0 - Future Assassin || STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

16.7%
16.7%

44%
44%

I love waking up the morning after a day with no sweet snacks or soda.  My stomach feels so relieved not to have the extra burden.  I know it's going to get tough after the first few days of the "New Challenge High!!" but I'm ready to take that on.  If Galadriel can resist the temptation to rule the world, I can certainly resist the temptation to eat a bag of Sixlets.  

• Like 5

High Wood Elf - Level 2

I added some "fine print" to my third quest (no sweets) to accommodate a few things.  It allows for one special hot chocolate per week with my mom (a tradition) and the *possibility* of one or two desserts showing up in 3-course meals at nice restaurants (date nights with my husband).

I promise I'm not looking for ways to sneak my sweets back in!  These are two situations which would have left me feeling upset and prone to falling off the wagon out of frustration.  Taking Swampling's advice not to go cold turkey without a backup plan.

But that's it - I'm still committed to saying no to sweets, even if there's a big lovely cake at our school's potluck this Friday or I win free donuts for six weeks.  

• Like 4

High Wood Elf - Level 2

Making some allowances for yourself is a great idea. I'm actually going to be making some adjustments to my goals today. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Lady of Gallifrey

Human Time Lord

16.7%
16.7%

44%
44%

Day 2:

Quest 1 - apple, banana, carrots, broccoli

Quest 2 - water only

Quest 3 - no sweets

I didn't find myself having many cravings during the day, but as soon as we finished dinner I wanted chocolate like crazy!  I had a piece of fruity gum, though I'm trying not to rely on that as a permanent fix.  I will say that I'm proud of myself for going two days without sweets - I probably haven't done that in over a year.   :pride:

Veggies are rough!  I just need to get used to eating them.  I'm hoping to find more variety (I'm mostly stuck on carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower for the ease and portability).  There's no excuse not to have them in my diet, though I'm glad I started with 1 per day (more if I can) to get started.  

• Like 2

High Wood Elf - Level 2

Getting ready for the day I rediscovered this article (again) from back in the day, before I eve knew about Nerd Fitness:  http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/03/04/how-to-lose-weight-without-doing-one-minute-of-exercise/.  I saw it first probably a few years ago, then again from around this time last year (my friend and I were gearing up for a "biggest loser" style competition; spoiler alert:  she won the money every week because she lost the most weight, but then we both gained it all back :uncomfortableness: ).  

I'm uplifted by the thought of making small changes over time that will get me to a place where I can eat healthily and exercise for fun, rather than pretend that slogging through hours at the gym will make up for all that silly food I like.   :cool-new:    

• Like 1

High Wood Elf - Level 2

I'm super excited about making small changes, too. I think that the little ones are easier to stick to than the complete life overhaul things. One of my long term goals is to write down and cook a different recipe every week. I figure I'll exhaust everything I know how to cook in two months, but do you want to be my learn-to-make-new-healthy-food buddy?

-S t a r . R u b y -

"I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!"

heatherallyse

str: 1, dex: 1, sta: 1, con: 3.5, wis: 3.0, cha: 1.5

Challenge Chapter I : Exit, Blerch : Chapter II : Enter, Self : Chapter III : Phoenix Ascendant 

Challenge Zombie Arc: 2016 - Infected : Infected, Part II : Typhoid Ruby (Infected, pt II continued)

Hey, look! It's the completely awesome Battle Log I keep neglecting!

way to go with small changes!

also, I've been trying to focus on other things than just the 'looks' part of the problem- eg. with sweets, it's a Lent resolution, so it's about working on the spiritual part of me, reminding myself that I am indeed strong enough to live without sweets, etc, etc. For me it helps to take mind off of the part I tend to become obsessive about and gives everything a deeper meaning.... hope it'll help in any way! :)

Lv 0 Half-Elf Recruit

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

introduction

my current challenge

I'm super excited about making small changes, too. I think that the little ones are easier to stick to than the complete life overhaul things. One of my long term goals is to write down and cook a different recipe every week. I figure I'll exhaust everything I know how to cook in two months, but do you want to be my learn-to-make-new-healthy-food buddy?

I would love to hear about recipes that you make!  In total honesty I really can't stand cooking, and since my husband loves to do it he's pretty much in charge  :hopelessness:   But I really would love to know if you find any yummy dishes that are simple!  I'm thinking for my next challenge I'm going to include a cooking portion.  

• Like 1

High Wood Elf - Level 2