Nice job on the handstand! And I am curious as to whether you like the GMB stuff. It's a program that whenever someone mentions it makes me go OOOH YESSSS SOMEDAY but it always stays like that :P 

Sweet handstand PR! Congrats! :D And very nice one arm hang too, reminds me that I need to work on that...

Why is the idea of running the business side terrifying? I think it sounds like a fantastic idea! 

Oh i'm loving it that I can beat most people at hanging without even trying. It's hilarious when all the ring training guys keep complaining about their hands and i'm not even bothered. Gotta love kettlebell benefits.

It's terrifying for me because... well i'm not shy exactly, but i'm definitely introverted and worry far too much about what people think about me. To properly do the marketing for the gym I really ought to put myself out there. And this is something i've been struggling with for a long time. You guys here on NF even helped me over some hurdles, but the issue is still BIG in my mind. 

I would have to make sure we get a functioning website, take care of all the Facebook posts etc. That's.. scary.

I think having the NATIONAL CHAMPION run a nutrition practice off the side of the gym, assuming that's the kind of thing that your thinking.

Oh i'm definitely doing that, but that's not scary so it wasn't what I was talking about. 

Just organizational things and mostly marketing for the gym.

Agreed that I think it sounds like an awesome idea -- especially if it's something that's completely neglected right now and could probably use a loving hand to help it out. 

Still hitting linear progressions? That is just awesome awesome awesome. And heck yessss, handstand PR!

It's very neglected! And yea..I think we could do a lot better with the gym if people actually knew we existed. That's where a good website and marketing work comes in. We ought to be doing blogposts and regular Facebook posts.. It'll make a big difference. But it's weird for me to put myself out there.

Great job with the handstand PR!

And honestly, I'm jealous about the gym opportunity.  I think running a gym as a career sounds pretty awesome.

It does. And I really deserve a beating for complaining about it :D 

Apart from the fear of promoting things i'm honestly also completely terrified of failure. 

Nice job on the handstand! And I am curious as to whether you like the GMB stuff. It's a program that whenever someone mentions it makes me go OOOH YESSSS SOMEDAY but it always stays like that :tongue:

Yea i'm liking the GMB stuff.. but it wouldn't work for me to actually follow their programming. So i'm just stealing bits and pieces.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Google calendar just suggested to me that you guys have a meet coming up real soon, is that right?

Not sure if you meant NF meet or KB meet... but if its the second; 12th of april! www.en.kettlebell-open.nl

Check out the participants list. It's the second time/year we run this competition and i've got high hopes for it. If we make over 50 participants next year i'll be really pleased.

I'm not sure, is it? :o

I'm not available on the 5th, so I won't be there. Maybe another time ;).

The 5th? Did we really plan something? :o I didn't write anything down. 

If you guys feel like watching a kb competition on the 12th you're more than welcome!

Nice work on the handstands!

Oooh hangs, shiny ...

Thank you! Shiny things are awesome, but hangs not so much really, hurts your hands ;)

I can see why you would be nervous about the marketing. That does seem like it requires more of really putting yourself out there and promoting your gym. And running your own business is harder than just going to work for someone else. Do you have some other people you know that run their own business that you could chat with and get some help, and maybe just hear the positives and negatives of it all? Would it be too stressful to do both, a part time job in an office and the gym? That might just help you get used to it a bit slower, than if it was something you liked you could transition to full time at the gym.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

The kettlebell competition looks nice :). If the weather is nice I might come over to watch :).

About the job... How is the job market for you? Are there any full-time jobs at your level available around here at all? If they are very sparse, it might be nicer to work at the gym at least part-time, and decide after some time if you want to go looking for another job. Any amount of marketing work that you can do is positive, and once you've designed the flyers, cleaned up the website, etc. you've already provided a long-term benefit for the gym :). If you don't enjoy it, you can look for a regular job later ;).

One thing about putting yourself out there that I've noticed is that it is a lot easier when it is something you are PASSIONATE about. I think this may fit the bill for passion for you. Just a thought to consider. :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Here's another thought on the gym thing:  If the business side has been neglected for too long, and if things are a huge mess, you could just plan on working at the gym for a month or so to tidy things up a bit.  At that point, you might have a better idea of whether you could handle doing the gym management full time, or whether you'd rather get a regular job.  It's great that you can already recognize a lot of things that need some attention with the gym.  It should give you a great starting point.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Oh and I would like to chime in, that you are a very enthusiastic person when talking about the things you love, and it is definitely contageous <3 

Oooh, that's a very good point!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

A bit sad I missed the end of this challenge and a bit disappointed I didn't stick with it strongly! I do understand the circumstances with the whole 'decide on your future' bomb and running around organizing this competition at our gym... but I really want to have another strong challenge. They do wonders for me! And you guys are the best, I did read your comments (on my phone) and really appreciate them. They helped me think! 

I can see why you would be nervous about the marketing. That does seem like it requires more of really putting yourself out there and promoting your gym. And running your own business is harder than just going to work for someone else. Do you have some other people you know that run their own business that you could chat with and get some help, and maybe just hear the positives and negatives of it all? Would it be too stressful to do both, a part time job in an office and the gym? That might just help you get used to it a bit slower, than if it was something you liked you could transition to full time at the gym.

This was a great tip, I did get in touch with a guy running his own gym in a small town nearby. He's doing very well with his marketing and making a good living. I definitely learned a lot and it helped put things in perspective!

The kettlebell competition looks nice  :). If the weather is nice I might come over to watch  :).

About the job... How is the job market for you? Are there any full-time jobs at your level available around here at all? If they are very sparse, it might be nicer to work at the gym at least part-time, and decide after some time if you want to go looking for another job. Any amount of marketing work that you can do is positive, and once you've designed the flyers, cleaned up the website, etc. you've already provided a long-term benefit for the gym  :). If you don't enjoy it, you can look for a regular job later  ;).

Didn't see you at the competition, though the weather was nice! ;) Just kidding of course.

The job market is really horrible for my profession. You're right about the long-term benefit. I did decide to go ahead and give myself time to try this out until the end of summer. 

One thing about putting yourself out there that I've noticed is that it is a lot easier when it is something you are PASSIONATE about. I think this may fit the bill for passion for you. Just a thought to consider.  :)

That it definitely does :D 

Here's another thought on the gym thing:  If the business side has been neglected for too long, and if things are a huge mess, you could just plan on working at the gym for a month or so to tidy things up a bit.  At that point, you might have a better idea of whether you could handle doing the gym management full time, or whether you'd rather get a regular job.  It's great that you can already recognize a lot of things that need some attention with the gym.  It should give you a great starting point.

You're right, it did give me a good starting point. Still feeling a bit overwhelmed, but decided to at least give it a try until the summer. I'm carefully positive so far!

Oh and I would like to chime in, that you are a very enthusiastic person when talking about the things you love, and it is definitely contageous <3 

Thank you :) That's definitely good.

Another thing is that you're not really putting yourself out there. You're putting the gym out there and you are not your gym.

And what's the worst that could happen? :)

In this case it's a bit of both.. the best way to promote the gym is by personal branding these days. The worst that could happen? I could fail :D But i do get your point. 

Could you trade knowledge or services with someone who does marketing so they can get you started?

Got a meeting with a guy on tuesday, will let you know how that goes :)

• Like 1