James lifts the space shuttle

JamesCoombs

[You have entered the warrior's camp]

Hello everyone! Yet another new recruit here, fresh from two tours of duty in the newbie zone. Determined—as they always are—to prove himself worthy of his own tent in the camp (not just sleeping on the floor with the dogs), and the title of warrior.

Yeah, I know, its going to be a long hard slog. I’m 180cm and weigh 68kg. When I started this journey I weighed just 63kg, which put me very near underweight according to the general BMI measurement. I’ve got nearly 15kgs to put on before I get to the upper limit of what that measurement, which isn’t even supposed to account for large muscles, considers normal.

My eventual goal is to be 85kg with reasonably low body fat. That’s 20kg of lean muscle to put on… Needles to say, this is going to take a while.

Which brings us to my first challenge as a warrior!

This is the space shuttle Endeavour. She was built to replace space shuttle Challenger, which was lost one year before I was born. Without cargo she weighs 71 tonnes, which is not light. My goal for this challenge is to lift her.

ap_space_shuttle_los_angeles_2_ss_jt_121

How the hell am I going to do that?

Well...I first heard about the idea of measuring workouts by tonnage about a month ago and realised it was an interesting way of getting a ball park figure of how much work I was really doing across all my muscles in any particular workout.

I also realised I wasn’t nearly lifting enough. I might be doing maybe 1-1/2 tonnes in a typical workout and it was the work of just a few workouts to up that to three tonnes. Not by trying to work the system, but simply by lifting more.

My workouts at the moment consist of mainly large compound movements supported by some accessory lifts.

I workout on alternative days, one day focusing on upper body and one day on lower body.

That makes for 21 workouts during this challenge.

NOW… Endeavour weighs 71 tonnes, which divided by 21 workouts makes for a average tonnage per workout of 3.4 tonnes. Can I do that? Well that’s what we’re going to find out :)

Main goal: Put on 1.5kg

Pork%20Loin%20Boned%20Rolled%201.5kg%20N <---- 1.5kg of meat :)

SDMA at challenge end: > 69.4kg

Sub Goal: workout 21 days out of 42 [80% = success = +1 STR]

8414a2aead0c10708578449ca3741c9f.jpg

Sub Goal: Lift at least 3.4 tonnes on each workout for a total minimum of 71 tonnes [80% = success = +1 STR]

Hercules_Tire_Flip.jpg

Sub Goal: Eat at least three square meals every day [90% = success = +1 CON]

tumblr_ly04o4NxyG1qlvj4w.gif

Previous week’s gains:

SDMA (Seven day moving average)

16th Feb, 2015: 67.9kg - SDMA: 67.44kg
17th Feb, 2015: 67.7kg - SDMA: 67.54kg
18th Feb, 2015: 67.6kg - SDMA: 67.55kg
19th Feb, 2015: 68.6kg - SDMA: 67.76kg
20th Feb, 2015: 68.2kg - SDMA: 67.82kg
21st Feb, 2015: 68.2kg - SDMA: 67.94kg

[Your challenge has been set, good luck young warrior]

Right! Challenge set! Time to lift stuff! RAWR!!!!

• Like 1

Ideal weight: 78kg | starting weight: 63.8kg

LeadVonE - Level 1 Warrior

Past challenges: 1 2 3 4

I'm working with the opposite, I'll trade you some of my excess weight if you want. But when it comes to bmi I wouldn't put too much trust in it. There are so many different body types that you being healthy could interpret as a bad bmi. Hell in my case (according to my last body fat analysis) if I lost every pound of fat in my body I would still be near the obese line.

So what I'm trying to say is have confidence in yourself and go for what your body says feels good when you are done the challenge.

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

http://raystightshirt.blogspot.com/

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

Also one thing that will help with strength and adding some good muscle weight try taking a good creatine after your work outs, you will gain weight from increased water being stored in your muscles and will also help with a quicker recovery.

Hitting up a blogger for my journey to make a hot sexy body for my hot sexy red shirt 

Failure is an option, sometimes it's the only option. Giving up, that isn't an option

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Love the shuttle goal!

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Putting on weight - this used to be a challenge for me to. You can do it

Good luck with the challenge - I will be following to cheer you on!

Thanks Tkdgirl! I've been struggling with this for years now. The train seems to have finally picked up some momentum.

Hi raymith!

I'm working with the opposite, I'll trade you some of my excess weight if you want. But when it comes to bmi I wouldn't put too much trust in it. There are so many different body types that you being healthy could interpret as a bad bmi. Hell in my case (according to my last body fat analysis) if I lost every pound of fat in my body I would still be near the obese line.
So what I'm trying to say is have confidence in yourself and go for what your body says feels good when you are done the challenge.

Would gladly do so :) And yeah, I don't put any real trust in it, not as a goal setting tool. But I figure its probably pretty accurate in terms of what's underweight and I was pretty close to it. My "ideal" goal of 85kg is actually several points into the overweight category, but that doesn't worry me.

Also one thing that will help with strength and adding some good muscle weight try taking a good creatine after your work outs, you will gain weight from increased water being stored in your muscles and will also help with a quicker recovery.

Ah ye, I already do this :) haven't for very long mind you. Started towards the beginning of the last challenge. How much do you use btw? I just follow the instructions on the side of the tub but it seems like in the BB world that's rarely what's actually done with anything.

Thanks for the support! :)

• Like 1

Hi wildross!

The 3.4 tonnes per workout is very doable.

I kinda figured it would be. I've been reading bodybuilding and fitness advice for years now and been lifting stuff sporadically for nearly two years now. But measuring in tonnes rather than sets and reps really makes the whole thing very clear and obvious.

Why am I not surprised that I didn't think of this first :P

And holy chaos, that's a lot of weight being moved around in a very short period of time. Yeah. Like I said, I should be able to really up my game on this... I wonder if I should create a stretch goal for total weight moved. Maybe include the cargo of the shuttle? Would add another 22 tonnes.

I've hit 60,000# in a single workout.  I typically aim for 20,000# a day.  We have another member that cracked 100,000# in a day.

Tally Sheet for 2019

Hi raymith!

Would gladly do so :) And yeah, I don't put any real trust in it, not as a goal setting tool. But I figure its probably pretty accurate in terms of what's underweight and I was pretty close to it. My "ideal" goal of 85kg is actually several points into the overweight category, but that doesn't worry me.

Ah ye, I already do this :) haven't for very long mind you. Started towards the beginning of the last challenge. How much do you use btw? I just follow the instructions on the side of the tub but it seems like in the BB world that's rarely what's actually done with anything.

Thanks for the support! :)

I use the Musclepharm, luckily it comes with a scoop but I get in 5000mg and don't go over that. from what I seen 5000mg is about the standard serving. Some say to preload with more servings at the start I would just ignore that. 

I use the Musclepharm, luckily it comes with a scoop but I get in 5000mg and don't go over that. from what I seen 5000mg is about the standard serving. Some say to preload with more servings at the start I would just ignore that. 

Ah, good to know. That's also what my tub prescribes. I've been seeing people suggesting going up to four scopes and such like but I'm generally pretty cautious about going over what the instructions say since I've no idea what the long term effects may be.

I've hit 60,000# in a single workout.  I typically aim for 20,000# a day.  We have another member that cracked 100,000# in a day.

... Glad you have that encouragement for noobie lifters link in your sig :tongue:

yeah, 20,000lbs (I assume # means lbs, yesh?) is what, about 9 tonnes?

So given that my current bench press 1 rep max is 42kg (with dumbbells), and my current (calculated) 1 rep max for squat is 45kg, 3.4 tonnes per workout isn't actually a horrible goal.... maybe?

Ah, good to know. That's also what my tub prescribes. I've been seeing people suggesting going up to four scopes and such like but I'm generally pretty cautious about going over what the instructions say since I've no idea what the long term effects may be.

I've heard overdoing it could cause some liver damage, but keeping at 5000mg is more than safe, also keep in mind too that creatine is the single most tested supplement in the market, and they haven't found it to cause damage at normal doses.

5000 g is good, maybe a bit much but not because it's dangerous, just because its unnecessary. You can get a lot from red meat too.

Creatine gets converted to creatinine as it breaks down in our bodies. It also causes an increase in creatine kinase (CK) in the blood. Of course, these two molecules are the go to blood test markers for liver, kidney, and general organ damage. And ck is normally elevated in post workout recovery for strength athletes like powerlifters.

Tl;dr, creatine creates false positives in blood tests for liver and kidney damage. Make sure you tell your doctor you take it if they want to test your blood.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Duplicate post :( Not sure how to delete it

You can't.  This happens because someone else updates the thread while you are editing it.  If your update hangs, open another windows and see if it posted or not (it usually has).

Tally Sheet for 2019

One day early but workout day is today and tomorrow is rest day so we're starting here, even if it doesn't count towards the goals.

Lower body day.

https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/38690180/

Squats, deadlifts, a pathetic attempt at hip thrusters, and practicing form on stiff legged dead-lifts.

Total weight: 3.1 tonnes, so 0.3 of a tonne under my target.

• Like 2

Day one daily weigh in: 67.7kg

One of my long term objectives is to be able to do overhead squats. Right now I just have neither the glute and leg strength, nor the hamstring, shoulder, and ankle flexibility. Whenever I try to overhead squat I just end up looking ridiculous as my arms angle massively in front of me.

Anyway, I tried standing up from a chair with my arms straight above me and after a few minutes of struggling and experimenting, managed it. Seems to be an interesting way to sneak in some training as I'm going about me everyday business. Its working muscles in ways that my standard barbell squat just doesn't, even with zero weight.

• Like 1

Yesterday was upper body day :D

https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/38738159/

Dumbbell bench press, overhead press, and bent over rows.

Still not quite sure about bent over rows. Feel like I work my upperbody and my shoulders more than my back. However, that might also be because I just did bench press and overhead press and the rest of my body feels pretty shagged out by that point... But then, shouldn't that make it easier to target my back muscles? :o

Clocked in my tonnage at 3.4 :) so bang on target.

Weighed in at 67.1kg, so way down, but I hadn't been taking my morning smoothie with the creatine in it for the last three days, so I hypothesized it was mostly water weight. And after taking my smoothie and drinking around 2 liters of water throughout the day, I clocked in this morning back at 67.8kg.

I'm intrigued by standing from chairs with my arms above my head. Must give it a go!

I find it varies greatly depending on how high the chair is. Most chairs are pretty tall and I can stand up from them without too much theatrics now. However, my squat stool is only half the height of a chair and on that one my arms still can't get back far enough.

I'm thinking to stack books on the stool to create a progressive lowering chair :)

-------------------------------------------

Weight

Feb 24th, 2015: 67.1kg

Feb 25th, 2015: 67.8kg

Tonnage

Feb 25th, 2015: 3.4 tonnes

• Like 2

Epic lower body day :)

https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/38794264/

First workout where I'm pretty damn sure I hit every damn muscle in my lower body.

Calves, glutes, hamstrings, quads. All whacked and accounted for.

Started out trying to figure out stiff legged dead lift to target the hamstrings and lower back and after a few form checks I could really feel them being worked. So success :)

Moved on to a kind of halfway house between barbell glute bridge and hip thruster, using my foam roller as a stand in for a bench (supported by a couple 10kg weights behind it to stop it rolling back). This seemed to work quite well and I'll probably stick with this method of working the glutes for a while.

Next up was calves--standing barbell calf raises--which I did with an 18kg barbell and a 20kg plate to act as a step. Couldn't get many of the reps without losing my balance but I'm figuring this is something I will get better with as time goes on.

Finally I did barbell squats, which didn't go as well as before. Last round, I did 5x10 at 32kg. This time I tried for 34kg but could only manage 1x8 and 1x6 before failing. I figure this is mainly because I was doing the squats at the end of my workout rather than the beginning and I guess that if I encounter this situation again, the correct move is simply to drop ego and weight and go for the original goal for rep and set count at a lower weight.

All in all, lots learned today and my legs are done done done :)

Daily weigh in: 68.3kg

Daily tonnage: 1,300 + 1,300 + 828 + 272 + 170 = 3.87 tonnes (wow, no wonder I feel so shagged out)

• Like 1