The Campfire | Recipes for Rangers Who Eat!

Hammlin

Hey gang- post your delicious how to Noms here!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

tumblr_mfprct4Svd1qewacoo1_500.jpg

• Like 3

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

for the record... my dog did NOT help cook this

before

10998892_10204353774899380_7147574965504

then stuff happens

the big one is soup... SUPER cheap... 

~3# chicken (the 3# bag is 6$ at my walmart

1 bottle hard cider (eh.... 1.33$?? the case was 16$)

put the two together and bake for 45 ish at 350 ish
(go work on the laundry)

take it out and let it cook enough to deal with it

add 2 bags frozen mixed veggies (one was normandy blend... the other eh squash and brocoli and stuff... one was 2.50 the other was 3$)

chopped up rutabega (it was like 2$?)

added a clump or three of coconut oil (do you count this when you count the price for food?? some spices (ital seasoning salt pepper garlic) and 4 bags of home made frozen chicken broth (basically free?... they are roughly a cup each) 

followed the baking instructions above.... but you could probably just go ahead and cook it ONCE for 45 min.... 

total cost roughly 14.80 (not counting power and whatnot) 
roughly 8-10 servings... averages about 1.50 to 1.85 a serving...

10615560_10204353775059384_7741804136812

and after... 

and funny stuffs

cooking some soup in the oven... 45 mins goes by and it's hot but not done and my rutabaga is HARD... and I thought maybe it's because it got partially frozen before I put it in the oven...

so I put it in for another 45 min... come in and get tightly wound up in the Master and the Doctor... go in and check it... WTH it's still hard... can't figure it out... so run it a THIRD 45 minutes...

then the Master dies RIGHT when my last timer goes off and I go in and check it... take a taste of the STILL HARD rutabaga...

then I realized "hey wait a minute Jenn... this rutabaga isn't even HOT like something that had been cooking in the oven for 135 minutes....

apparently when I took the chicken out of the oven the FIRST time (before I put the soup stuff in and turned it on for the FIRST 45 of the soup minutes) I turned off the oven AND the timer... so it was in the oven "cooking" but it wasn't on... so I spent two hours with it not even cooking...

sigh... this is why I shouldn't watch shows that I am distracted by while I am trying to cook....

• Like 3

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Eating my huli huli chicken now with some garlic sauteed carrots and broccolini...   Huli huli chicken is a hawaiian barbecue.  Sadly though mine was broiled, not grilled.   No pic, but trust me, it's good.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I made Budget Byte's Taco Chicken Bowls the other night, it turned out really well!

Ingredients:

• 1½ lbs. chicken breasts $2.90
  • 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa $1.99
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained $1.19
  • ½ lb. (8 oz.) frozen corn $0.57
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder $0.15
  • ½ Tbsp cumin $0.07
  • ½ Tbsp minced garlic $0.10
  • ½ tsp dried oregano $0.03
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper $0.02
  • ¼ tsp salt $0.02
  • to taste cracked pepper $0.02
  • 2 cups dry rice $0.66
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar $2.49
  • ½ bunch cilantro (optional) $0.45

Put everything but the rice, cheese, and cilantro in the slow cooker, and leave it there on low for 8 hours. Cook the rice, put it in the bottom of the bowl, put the chicken mix on top, top with cheese and cilantro, and you're done!

I did make a couple modifications:

• Ate with bread instead of rice, cause that's what I had on hand
  • No cilantro because it's yucky!
  • Just dumped in the whole can of black beans (19oz?)

Other than that it was pretty much the same, and it's tasty! :)

• Like 1

YOU GUYS! THIS LOOKS SO FLIPPING DELICIOUS! Chicken Curry by Rebel Chef Noel.

Edit:

YOU GUYS! THIS IS SO FLIPPING DELICIOUS! I just made it tonight, and not only is it super easy, but it's also really really yummy. Sweet, spicy, and savory all in one bowl! I didn't make the potato, but rather ate it like a soup. Yum yum yum.

• Like 1

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

Part of my newest Challenge was to attempt a new recipe each week.  These are what I've tried thusfar (the pictures aren't mine but are a fair facsimile):

Garlic & Parmesan roasted artichokes. 

These turned out brilliant.  I think my oven cooks a bit toastier than it ought to so some of the outer leaves were a bit crispy but they dipped in avocado & cilantro dressing nicely.  Definitely a huge success and will be trying again soon.

bakedartichokes1.jpg

Bacon-wrapped brussel sprouts.

I'm not the hugest brussel sprout fan but this changes the game.  The bacon flavor seeps into the sprout and turns these little green devils into a mouth-watering delight.  I added some teriyaki seasoning to mine.

bacon-wrapped-brussels-square.png

• Like 4

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Both were super easy, Shadri.

The artichokes cook for around an hour (keep an eye on them after the 60 minute mark) at 350.  Chop off the roughage to expose the hearts, spread the leaves open a bit, drizzle with lemon juice (optional), and then sprinkle garlic and Parmesan to your liking.  Have a dressing or dip around for those leaves!

The brussel sprouts were about the same.  I washed them up nice and then sprinkled with teriyaki seasoning before wrapping in a third of a bacon slice, and then sprinkle salt and pepper.  They only cooked for about 10 or 15 minutes though.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Since I just posted this on my Facebook I thought I'd share it here: http://paleomg.com/pumpkin-espresso-french-toast-rounds/ they are noms!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Oh, those don't sound hard at all. Did you cook the bacon at all before wrapping the sprouts, or is it all just baked together?

Just wrapped 'em and then baked 'em.  I like my bacon a tiny bit on the rarer side anyways, but this turned out perfect.

And O-M-G, Hammlin, those look incredible.

I didn't get photographs because they disappeared too quickly

stuffed acorn squash

2 medium squashes - sliced around the circumference so it intersects with the stem... seeded and de-gooped

1/2# sausage

1/2# gr. beef

1 red onion chopped 

1 yellow onion chopped 

brown the ground/chopped stuff... I added some five spice... 

fill the squash with the browned stuff... bake @ 350 60 minutes ish... 

enjoy... 

the dog LOVES the squash peels... especially since they are so meat/greasy!!!

the picky kids love the whole thing!!

(this served three... and a dog - the peels... happily)

Spoiler

I was impressed enough with my dalliance into the fine world of artichokes that I had a stroke of brilliance... artichoke nachos!

I peeled (tore actually) the leaves off the artichoke hearts and then laid them out on a cooking sheet in somewhat overlapping layers.  Cooked up a pound of ground beef along with onion and green pepper.  Broiled the artichokes to appropriate crispness.  Threw the beef'n'veggie combination on top and then added cheese.

Turned out brilliantly too, I might add.  Couldn't find such a recipe on Pinterest either, which boggled my mind.

• Like 2

I made sort-of-inspired-by ratatouille the other day... I was too lazy to make zoodles for spaghetti night, so I chopped the zucchini into quartered medallions, chopped up some bell pepper and turkey, threw it all together and put the tomato sauce on top. It's not even close to actual ratatouille, but that's what it make me think of. It was delicious anyway. ^_^

Also, I made delicious italian dipping oil for my veggies too - I just added garlic powder, onion powder and oregano (I think? can't remember) to some olive oil and mixed it all up. It tasted pretty awesome.

Most of my kitchen adventures are me throwing random crap together because I'm too lazy to cook xD haha. I need a bigger repertoire of recipes. And more money for groceries.

• Like 2

"In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." -Uncle Iroh

Another impromptu kitchen adventure!! Inspired by Hu Hot and wilty veggies :0)

HOW YOU DO (basic recipe)

Basically, toss a bunch of veggies in a skillet with some oil/butter and sauté(/stir fry?) them. Add whatever spices you want - I used hot pepper flakes, onion powder and garlic powder. Add the crunchier veggies first so they have more time to soften up.

HOW I DO (what I specifically included)

I started with green bell pepper and purple cabbage, and gave those a couple minutes to cook. Then I added a few slices of cucumber, waited another minute or two. Finally, two big handfuls of wilty lettuce. Added my spices, stirred it around and let it cook until the lettuce started to cook down, then served hot! It was a delicious way to eat those vegetables that may not be quite so appealing to eat raw anymore.

I think I'm gonna make a big batch of this later this evening to take to work for lunch the next few days... cos we have a poop-ton of wilty lettuce left in the fridge! xD

• Like 1

More adventures in cooking with Rurik!

400px-Modest_Cookfire.jpg

A friend from work was cleaning out his freezer lately and dropped off a care package of approximately 15lbs of various cuts of elk.  Some ground elk, a few packages of pork-elk mixed sausage, and several packs of inside round.  The sausages are heavily seasoned and delicious, and the ground elk makes for wonderful chili, but my first foray into elk steak was a dismal failure with entirely too much game flavor (and likely overcooked).

So I had an evening to myself tonight and set off to experiment.  My marinade consisted of a tablespoon of soya sauce, a teaspoon of garlic powder, a shot of sriracha sauce, and equal parts maple bacon sea salt & pepper.  This was left in a tupperware in the fridge for a good 6 hours and was flipped half-way through.  I then seared both sides in a pan on the stovetop and left it simmer in the leftover marinade until cooked.

Voila, succulent and tasty elk inside round!  I paired this with some butter-fried brussel sprouts coated in the same maple bacon sea salt & pepper.  If only I knew how to take better pictures, I could share it with you.

ed4f7f953b64cc8ac0a52976e6e3d21e.jpg

Not my picture as usual.

For my next experiment (and last pair of elk steaks) I'll be attempting a blackberry glaze sauce to smother my steak in.  The perfect grizzly bear meal.

• Like 1

FYI, I'm inviting myself over for dinner.

Me too
  • Like 1

Spoiler