Anathema Adds It Up

Anathema

Our game actually ended, which was kind of a surprise to everyone, including the DM. This one story has been running for a year and a half or more, and he was saying that he had an end in sight, but he thought it would play out over 2 or 3 more sessions. But two players had amazing rolls of exceptional success. My best friend is one of those guys who always tries to talk the DM into letting him do some ridiculous scheme (one last year involved a stolen airplane and an army of strippers with flamethrowers . . .) and he was getting annoyed at the DM that none of his ideas in our climactic fight with a flying demon were okay. He said, "Fine, whatever. I'll just throw the stupid magic ashes into the air. Maybe they'll hit it." And then he just kept rolling successes to the point where the demon was obliterated and our DM was like wow, I did not see that coming.

I'm actually going to DM the next game. It's a Vampire: The Requiem game set in Ancient Rome, I'm a very rookie DM, but having participated in a multi-year VtR game, i feel like I know the rules pretty well. And the Ancient Rome setting will be neat.

• Like 1

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

Monday, March 9 • 153 lbs

Macros: yes • $1

No refined carbs: darn Luna bar • $0

5x5 Stronglifts: no • $0

Mindful spending: arg. can't recall. don't think I spent anything? • $1

No food after 8: yay • $1

Housecleaning: yes • $1

Today: $4 Challenge to date: $37

Luxury spending: $100 on lunches out

$22 on books

$8 on snacks

$11 on drinks

$14 on takeaway food

$14 on clothes

$11 on makeup

Total luxury spending to date: $176

Tuesday, March 10 • 153 lbs

Macros: ugh, over by 1% in fat • $0

No refined carbs: roti bread • $0

5x5 Stronglifts: yes! • $1

Mindful spending: nail polish • $0

No food after 8: bah • $0

Housecleaning: yes • $1

Today: $2 Challenge to date: $39

Luxury spending: $100 on lunches out

$22 on books

$8 on snacks

$16 on drinks

$14 on takeaway food

$14 on clothes

$16 on makeup

Total luxury spending to date: $186

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Army of strippers with flame-throwers, hm... That gives me an idea for my next challenge...

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Our game actually ended, which was kind of a surprise to everyone, including the DM. This one story has been running for a year and a half or more, and he was saying that he had an end in sight, but he thought it would play out over 2 or 3 more sessions. But two players had amazing rolls of exceptional success. My best friend is one of those guys who always tries to talk the DM into letting him do some ridiculous scheme (one last year involved a stolen airplane and an army of strippers with flamethrowers . . .) and he was getting annoyed at the DM that none of his ideas in our climactic fight with a flying demon were okay. He said, "Fine, whatever. I'll just throw the stupid magic ashes into the air. Maybe they'll hit it." And then he just kept rolling successes to the point where the demon was obliterated and our DM was like wow, I did not see that coming.

I'm actually going to DM the next game. It's a Vampire: The Requiem game set in Ancient Rome, I'm a very rookie DM, but having participated in a multi-year VtR game, i feel like I know the rules pretty well. And the Ancient Rome setting will be neat.

I have never got to play V:TR, but I want to play in your games.

I have a group of SCA friends that are playing D&D (the newest edition) in an Ancient Rome setting.  The humans are all Romans, and the elves and dwarves are conquered peoples.  The party are all members of a secret legion, and are being sent on missions by authorities that have their own agendas. 

You might also find inspiration in Jim Butcher's treatment of Romans in his Codex Alera books.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Hey guys. I've been super stressed out with work, behind on everything, all that stuff. I'm sort of contemplating just dropping this Challenge but coming up with . . . something. Maybe just trying to check in regularly without having it be as "official." I'm still doing the daily calorie tracking and FitBit stuff, so it's not like giving up entirely, just feeling so overwhelmed that having one more thing I have to do is adding to my feeling yucky. But I also know that it was a horrible week for stress last week, so I think I'll just try sort of being halfway here, not seeing this as a leveling up round, but just sort of try to maintain. And then hopefully feel more human next Challenge. Or who knows even next week. I do tend to snap out of this sort of panicky stuff relatively easily but I'm not feeling it right now.

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Sorry about the excessive stress.

Sweetie, if you want to just post how you feel or name your favorite color, it's all good. Reporting everything is a stressor. Most times it helps us perform the goals we want. But other times it adds an overwhelming sense of stress and that's the perfect time to say, reporting can suck it!

So post and say hi or post on other folks' threads and you can still have the community close to you without the pressure of saying anything you don't want to right now.

And if you decide to stop posting during the rest of this challenge, that's a choice we will respect and understand completely. Find all the things that don't work right now and set them aside for the time being. We will always be here for you.

Best of everything,

Teri

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Thanks Teri!

The crazy week is a little better . . . story is too complicated and not interesting enought to go into, but basically I had a series of contractors working on a project for almost 2 years. People came and went, paperwork wasn't always done exactly right, etc. Now that all of the contractors have moved on and the project is supposed to be done, I'm doing a "final" audit and finding tons of things that need fixing. They weren't even incompetent, just missed stuff on a very complex and long-term thing, but now I'm the only person who can fix it, and I feel like every layer I peel off I find more stuff that needs doing. I'm writing a lot of emails that begin, "Back in 2013, my colleague contacted you about this item. We never seem to have received it, and now it's urgent. Please oh dear god please tell me that you either sent it and can find and resend, or can easily fulfill this request." My boss knows none of this is my fault, and has apologized that I'm the last man standing, but there's not much that can be done. And I have a full roster of other projects that are suffering while I try to debug this one. Oh, the joy.

But all of that said, I'm going to try to keep checking in, and even reporting on my challenge stuff to some degree, infotmally. Becuase I don't want to fall into the "I'm too stressed to go to the gym I need to be at work til midnight and now I just ate 27 cookies for dinner because stress." Because actually, that won't help me feel any better.

So, I'm actually leaving work at a reasonable hour and heading to the gym, and will check in tomorrow.

Onward, ever onward!

• Like 1

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Hey Anathema

Good to hear things are easing up enough to let you take care of yourself.

Good luck with the digging through the paperwork. I soo get that place!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Okay, it's Monday, I've basically taken a week off from the Challenge, darn it, I'm back. I did sort of track for the past week, but also didn't really push myself. My hellish project is still fairly hellish, but getting better. And my boss has actually said we can shelve it for a bit if need be, to concentrate on things that have better short-term payoff. I'll check in at day's end with an official report!

• Like 1

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

But all of that said, I'm going to try to keep checking in, and even reporting on my challenge stuff to some degree, infotmally. Becuase I don't want to fall into the "I'm too stressed to go to the gym I need to be at work til midnight and now I just ate 27 cookies for dinner because stress." Because actually, that won't help me feel any better.

So, I'm actually leaving work at a reasonable hour and heading to the gym, and will check in tomorrow.

Onward, ever onward!

We all have busy weeks.  You are doing well in keeping things in perspective.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)