Who will take the Iron Throne next? Only the fittest Houses in the Seven Kingdoms can rule – and survive.

GameOfThronesMagnets_Sigils.jpg

In this pvp, all participants will belong to a House, as evenly divided as possible. Your goal is to have a successful attack on another House, while successfully defending against any attacks on your House, ultimately hoping to bring down the enemy House’s castle walls. We will use the 4 basic categories of bodyweight exercises (back-specific exercises are bonus as explained below). Upper pull and leg exercises are attack, and core and upper push exercises will defend.

Upper pull (archers) attack ---à Core (shields) defend

Legs (cavalry) attack --à Upper push (pikes) defend

Back Exercises: rebuild castle walls

If the attackers exceed defense points in an area, excess points are subtracted from one of the walls. Only 1 wall can be attacked per week, no matter how many Houses attack a single castle. Partially destroyed castle walls may be rebuilt with 2 back exercises for every 1 wall point, but the ENTIRE team must do the same number of sets of the same exercise. If some team members do more, only the lowest number done by a team member counts.

To simplify things for the first week, we might just start with 2 Houses unless we have a lot of players join.

Rules:

- Each weekend (or at the end of the previous week), do a 1 minute AMRAP for 1 bodyweight exercise in each category (see tips below).

Points are based on the total number of reps for the week, divided by AMRAP. This helps even the playing field for diverse fitness levels (idea borrowed from the Quidditch Pushups PVP).

- To keep the liklihood of fatigue even, reps for both legs or both arms are equal to 1 rep. For example, if I do pushups, 1 pushup = 1 rep. If I do 1-arm rows, 1 row with my left arm, + 1 row with my right arm = 1 rep. Same would go for leg exercises: 1 standard bodyweight squat = 1 rep, but if I am doing pistols, 1 pistol with left leg + 1 pistol with right leg = 1 rep.

- For holds, the "AMRAP" is the number of seconds you held until fatigue/failure. Points are determined by the total number of seconds held for the week, divided by that initial "to fatigue/failure" hold time.

- Battles are run from 12:01 am Monday – 11:59 pm Saturday, Pacific Standard Time. Any reps not entered in the spreadsheet OR posted to the board by 8 am Sunday, Eastern Standard Time will not count. :-P

- If you have something come up for a week and need to take a break or drop out, post and let us know so we can give your teammates a “CPC.â€

-If there are more than 2 houses playing, choose which House you are attacking before 6 pm Eastern Standard Time on Sunday.

- Each House’s castle has 4 walls. Each wall begins with 50 points. Only 1 wall can be attacked per week, no matter how many Houses attack a single castle, or how few points a wall has left.

- Partially destroyed castle walls can be rebuilt by coordinated numbers and type of back exercises. All team members must agree on the exercise, and do the same number of sets. A single set should be determined as the average of all team members' AMRAPs for that exercise. If teammates all do different numbers of sets of the same exercise, only the lowest number counts.

- Castle walls that are breached (reach 0 points) cannot be rebuilt.

- ANY variant of bodyweight exercise for the appropriate category is fair game, but use the same exercise for each category for the entire week. Some suggested variants are below.

- This PVP is open to anyone in any guild, even new recruits. :)

Tips:

- AMRAP = As Many Reps as Possible. This means to set a 1-minute timer, and see how many reps of that exercise you can complete in a minute. Take as many breaks as you need to, but only count the total number of completed reps when 60 seconds is done.

- Choose a level of each bodyweight exercise that is challenging, but not so hard that you can only do a few in a minute.

- I strongly recommend that you take at least 1 break day in the middle of the week’s battle. Alternating days (or alternating exercises each day) can help prevent overtraining.

-PVPs are not meant to take the place of your regular challenge. Hopefully, this will support your challenge. But if it does not and you need to choose, we understand. :)

- If you do combination sets of exercises, such as regular pullups followed by assisted pullups, deal with them by doing an AMRAP for each before the battle starts, and use the ratio between them to convert the assisted reps to regular reps. As far as using the spreadsheet goes, it is more work on you, but it would work like this:

• - Set an AMRAP for both the full intensity and reduced intensity exercise. Enter the AMRAP for the full intensity exercise ONLY on the spreadsheet.
  • - Calculate the approximate ratio (number of reduced intensity reps that equal one regular intensity rep) using your AMRAP. For example, if the regular pullup AMRAP is 5, and the assisted pullup AMRAP is 15, then every 3 assisted pullups equal 1 regular pullup.
  • - Each day, track the number of each exercise separately. Convert the assisted reps into regular reps, then enter the total on the spreadsheet under reps.
  • - The spreadsheet calculates the points automatically.

Some Suggested Bodyweight Variants for Each Category

Yes, other exercises in these categories work, too.

Legs:

Squats, Bulgarian Split Squats, Pistol Squats, Step-ups, Lunges

Upper Pull:

One-arm rows, bodyweight rows, pullups/chin-ups (negatives and assisted count, too)

Upper Push:

Incline pushups, standard pushups, decline pushups, military presses

Core:

Hollow Hold, bicycles, crunches, V-ups, tuck-ups

Back:

Bent-over Double-arm (or wide-grip barbell) rows, arch-ups (aka superman), hip extensions/bridge, alternating Superman, alternating quadruped

Google Spreadsheet for the battles

I know this is a complex PVP, so take some time to review the sample battle and ask any questions before we start on Monday.

Remember: Winter is coming. We need to be ready.

• Like 2

yay! I'm in.Though I've never watched Game of Thrones. :redface-new:

Questions: How does the scoring work? Is each rep worth one point? In holds is each second worth a point? How are single leg squat/lunges counted- is each leg a point or do you need both legs to count as 1 rep?

This is going to be amazing! Thanks for setting it up, Elsfaire.

Another question; On pulls I do both regular and assisted. Should I do regular AMRAP and then just count my assisted as a half rep? Same for someone who might want to switch from pushups to incline? Still working at your level, but sometimes you can only do a few of the harder ones and need to finish with the easier progression.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

LOVE this idea, looks awesome! But I doubt I'll have time to participate fully with all the other stuff I'm doing so I'm just going to join the Nights Watch and be a fly on the wall this time :D

• Like 2

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

yay! I'm in.Though I've never watched Game of Thrones. :redface-new:

Questions: How does the scoring work? Is each rep worth one point? In holds is each second worth a point? How are single leg squat/lunges counted- is each leg a point or do you need both legs to count as 1 rep?

This is going to be amazing! Thanks for setting it up, Elsfaire.

Another question; On pulls I do both regular and assisted. Should I do regular AMRAP and then just count my assisted as a half rep? Same for someone who might want to switch from pushups to incline? Still working at your level, but sometimes you can only do a few of the harder ones and need to finish with the easier progression.

tumblr_ln80zd8ctK1qhigt0o1_500.gif

:redface-new: I thought there might be a few kinks to work out. :)

How does the scoring work? Is each rep worth one point?

Points are based on the total number of reps for the week, divided by AMRAP. This helps even the playing field for diverse fitness levels (idea borrowed from the Quidditch Pushups PVP).

In holds is each second worth a point?

I had not thought about holds that much... I think for holds, the "AMRAP" would be the number of seconds you held until fatigue/failure. Then points would be equal to the total number of seconds held for the week, divided by that initial "to fatigue/failure" hold time.

How are single leg squat/lunges counted- is each leg a point or do you need both legs to count as 1 rep?

In thinking more about this, I think it will be more fair if reps for both legs or both arms are equal to 1 rep. For example, if I do pushups, 1 pushup = 1 rep. If I do 1-arm rows, 1 row with my left arm, + 1 row with my right arm = 1 rep. Same would go for leg exercises: 1 standard bodyweight squat = 1 rep, but if I am doing pistols, 1 pistol with left leg + 1 pistol with right leg = 1 rep. Does that sound reasonable?

On pulls I do both regular and assisted. Should I do regular AMRAP and then just count my assisted as a half rep?

Honestly, I had not thought about this at all, because I have never done this (thanks for giving me new workout possibilities! Yay!) The most "accurate" way to deal with it would be to do an AMRAP for each before the battle starts, and use the ratio between them to convert the assisted reps to regular reps. As far as using the spreadsheet goes, it is more work on you, but it would work like this:

- Set an AMRAP for both the full intensity and reduced intensity exercise. Enter the AMRAP for the full intensity exercise ONLY on the spreadsheet.

- Calculate the approximate ratio (number of reduced intensity reps that equal one regular intensity rep) using your AMRAP. For example, if the regular pullup AMRAP is 5, and the assisted pullup AMRAP is 15, then every 3 assisted pullups equal 1 regular pullup.

- Each day, track the number of each exercise separately. Convert the assisted reps into regular reps, then enter the total on the spreadsheet under reps.

- The spreadsheet calculates the points automatically.

For the benefit of anyone new coming to check out the PVP, I am editing the first post to include these rules clarifications. If we need to make further changes, we can. :)

Any feedback?

Great! I would love to recruit some more people, but we definitely have enough to run the PVP at this point. FYI - we can take new participants each week as the houses do recruiting. :)  Ironically, I am not a big GOT fan either, but my husband is, and I do watch it with him sometimes (like last night, now that he bought season 4 on DVD).

So far we have:

Evermist in House Targaryen

And with House TBD:

Elsfaire

Elastigirl

Hazard

And 1 in the Knight's Watch: Ryuu1011

For the second house, I would think using either Lannister or Baratheon makes the most sense, since they are the most active in the series. Any preferences?

Ok - so I am setting up for this week as follows. We will take additional player(s) for week 1 through Tuesday in an attempt to even out the teams.

House Targaryen:

Evermist

Elsfaire

(and CPC if no other player joins by Tuesday)

House Stark:

cmwanderin

Elastigirl

Hazard

And 2 in the Knight's Watch: Ryuu1011 & Illuviel

Spreadsheet is active! Remember to enter your AMRAPs for each exercise, and decide on what back exercise to do to strengthen your walls.

Woo Hoo!! Winter is Coming!!!

It seems it would be fair of me to sit out until we get one more person, since I was last to join.

I will put in my AMRAP tho in the mean time.

Let's go House Stark! On the sidelines due to some fool from House Lannister pushing me out a window. 'Hear Me Roar', yeah, I caught them roaring alright.

• Like 1

@barefootdawsy you're a GOT tragic aren't you? :)

Endor, are you playing?

:)

Endor, are you playing?

:)

Umm I might be interested but the wall of text put me off TBH! What's the short version?!

- How many in a team?

- Can I pick my team mates?  (a certain Assassin will be recruited to my team who will crush you all mwuhaahaaha! :P )

- How often do I have to do stuff?

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Tips:

- AMRAP = As Many Reps as Possible. This means to set a 1-minute timer, and see how many reps of that exercise you can complete in a minute. Take as many breaks as you need to, but only count the total number of completed reps when 60 seconds is done.

"Held" exercises like Hollow Holds would have to work differently.  Rep Max within a 1-minute timer doesn't work for those exercises.  They would need to be  1-attempt maximum hold time for their "amrap" before the battles begin.  And then something like having total time spent in the "hold" of that exercise throughout the week divided by that single max-time-held set.

Same results as AMRAP, just different requirement for how to go about it because of the type of exercise those are.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Here are my starting AMRAP-in-1-minute numbers and exercise selections:

Legs - bulgarian split squats: 20 reps

Pull - bodyweight inverted rows: 14 reps

Push - decline pushups: 24 reps

Core - hanging knee raises: 15 reps

Already put the numbers in the spreadsheet.  Just figured I'd post the exercises & numbers in case it helps anyone to see them.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Umm I might be interested but the wall of text put me off TBH! What's the short version?!

- How many in a team?

- Can I pick my team mates?  (a certain Assassin will be recruited to my team who will crush you all mwuhaahaaha! :tongue: )

- How often do I have to do stuff?

Hi Endor-

Sorry about the wall of text. I was trying to be thorough, and, well, I do that. :redface-new:

To answer your questions:

-I think the best thing to do at this point might be to have you and your friend form another House, then we can add the next person to join today to your House to even it up.

-You do stuff as often or as seldom as you want to. Battles run Monday - Saturday, so all reps you do during that time count, as long as you post them to the spreadsheet OR this board by 8 am Sunday, Eastern Standard Time.

What House do you want to be?

Phalanx and Evermist -

(Welcome, Phalanx!)

How about doing alternate supermans for our back exercise? We need to all do AMRAPS for it so we can get an average.

• Like 1

Following Hazard and Elastigirl (great minds think alike ;) ), here are my week 1 starting stats:

Legs – standard bw squats.                   AMRAP 27 (I am going to regret that…)

Pull – bodyweight rows under my desk. AMRAP 12 (Or chinup/pullup negatives, AMRAP 6 for a 2/1 ratio)

Push – standard pushups.                    AMRAP 8

Core – V-ups.                                        AMRAP 17

alternating supermans AMRAP 29 (meaning, did 29 with each side in 1 min)

Hazard and CMwanderin, we need to choose back exercises. Do we want to do supermans? 

Edit: Just remembered that hip bridges are part of my warm up routine, so I vote for those.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27