Elastigirl: The Road to Kettlebell Strength

Elastigirl

So tired. Did my regular workout, plus GTG pistols for the Game of Thrones PVP, plus put fertilizer on the garden bed. I didn't have to dig super deep, but even digging a few inches and turning dirt for all the beds is a good workout.

Remember the challenge where I ate heart and liver? I haven't done it since. The grocery store had liver on sale, so I bought some and we mixed it in with the hamburger tonight. Tastes fine.  Need to just do this more.

Sunny day today, a bit cold, but in the forties, so I did my Kettlebell swings outside.

Warm up

Walk 1.2 miles

Swings 44 lb 70 swings 7 min.

TGU  25-30-30-25-30

Today :GTG pistols for PVP

• Like 5

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Main Quest:Be strong and Fit

5862070738_3d501933fc_m.jpgK

Eat sugar only as a rare treat:

The fine print:

Use my calendar and mark smiles for successful days

Little sugar during challenge:

1 free pass token that can be used for a dessert 

Paleo treats allowed :4 tokens

Dark chocolate 80% or more, ¼ of a serving is free

Can use stevia/ small bit of honey on occasion

I will probably go out to eat, and it seems like there is sugar in everything- I’ll do the best I can;same when I am at eating at someone’s house; This is a something to help my life and stressing out over little things isn’t helpful

love the sugar part of your challenge!  trying to do something similar too!  SO much harder that you first expect it!  Keep up the good work!! :)

Looks like a great start. I may be a little jealous that you're able to garden. I'd love to have a wee veggie garden, but sadly the only soil I have access to is in deep shade. The only things that grow are ferns and hostas...

Also, eew, liver. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

My garden is super shady too.  Stuff that doesn't need a lot of sun does fairly well. Hoping for the best this year. If that doesn't work, I may have to rip out our front lawn and plant there.

Mixed in with the ground beef, I really don't taste it. Haven't tried it on its' own yet.

I chicken out every time I buy liver, and end up feeding it to my cats [emoji14] mixing it in is a good idea though.

And gardening is really is a workout, full body!

I've had it in the freezer for a month now. We still have some leftover, I'm not sure what to do with.

Gardening seems like an all around win, sunshine, workout and then yummy veggies!

• Like 1

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I totally brought my old sketch pad in to work because of your drawing goals. I haven't gotten any farther than stress doodling yet, but it's a start. I'm a computer artist, and it's not that I don't love drawing by hand, it's just that I've never really gotten amazing at it. I'm going to order myself a book on drawing manga and chibi right now, and I'm going to work on that while I sit in meetings. So, thank you for that inspiration :)

I want to start a little garden this year SO BAD. We have basil in the house, which I absolutely love. I need to do some reading up on this, but the winter is so harsh here I'm not sure when I can finish making the box and plant. I'll have to discuss this with my hubby further, but it would be fun to do along with you.

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

I totally brought my old sketch pad in to work because of your drawing goals. I haven't gotten any farther than stress doodling yet, but it's a start. I'm a computer artist, and it's not that I don't love drawing by hand, it's just that I've never really gotten amazing at it. I'm going to order myself a book on drawing manga and chibi right now, and I'm going to work on that while I sit in meetings. So, thank you for that inspiration :)

I want to start a little garden this year SO BAD. We have basil in the house, which I absolutely love. I need to do some reading up on this, but the winter is so harsh here I'm not sure when I can finish making the box and plant. I'll have to discuss this with my hubby further, but it would be fun to do along with you.

Glad I inspired you. Now I need to get inspired again. Didn't draw between challenges, and now I keep finding excuses not to again.

We've had a super mild spring, so I'm hoping to get started early. I hope you can, that would be fun. Even if you just plant a couple of things.

My blood pressure seems to have been a bit higher last week and this week (130/85) when I've checked it. I'm going to start tracking potassium again. I decided at dinner to do that, and logged in my day to myfitnesspal. Not only was I low on potassium, but also calories. Ideally I'd like to be about 100 calories over maintenance , so I can make my kettlebell goals. So, looks like I will be tracking for a bit. I have a hate for tracking, but if I aim to do it 5 days a week, that should give me a good idea of how I'm doing.

Morning routine went well today. Skipped the walk, but did some pull ups and pushups instead in the morning. I had one of my paleo treats today. I had planned on that. My friend brought an apple cake to share with us for another friend's birthday. Yum.

a.m pull up ladder assisted 1-2-3-4; push ups 7

Warm up

Pull up assisted ladder 1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4

Pushup 7/7/7

Swing 30 lb 100 sw

TGU 5 reps 9 (ish) minutes

• Like 4

Looks like a great quest EG! I've been wanting to do some KB work but haven't gotten around to it. I'm also struggling getting anything done workout wise with all this cold weather we are having lately. Ready for Spring so I can get back outside and moving around.

Gnome Assassin: [3]
[sTR: 6] [DEX: 1] [STA: 5] [CON: 4] [WIS: 0] [CHA: 1]

âWhat we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

Ok, let's do the weight. Goal for me is to be able to do 100 swings with 44lb in 5 minutes (probably a mix of two and one handed, I don't think I will be able to do it all one handed) Same goal for you?

Same goal here. I'll aim for the 100 one arm swings and 10 TGU. Congrats on the progress already !

New Recruit | Level: 0 | BattleLog | Fitocracy

Long term goal : achieving the "simple" (32kg kettlebell) goal from Simple & Sinister. Started at 9kg, finished the 12kg, currently working on the 20kg, 4 KB size to go! 

30%
30%

Did I just hear liver? :playful:

No need to hide it. Liver makes a fantastic dish on it's own.
Do you know "Berliner Leber"? You need: liver (obviously), apples, onions, potatoes, flour.

I won't explain how to cook mashed potatoes, guess you know that already. :-) Cut liver in small pieces, turn liver in flour (so that a little bit of flour sticks to the liver). Fry onion rings and apple slices in a skillet. Use a lot of butter. Then, take a second skillet and fry the liver.
Serve hot and side with onions, apples and mashed potatoes. Drip the fat from the frying pans onto side dishes.

The trick is to get the timing right. The liver is done when it feels "elastic" - if it becomes hard it's fried to long, will become chewy and not taste good at all. Secondly, cold liver also becomes chevy and not-well-tasting. The "true form" of Berlin liver calls for frying the liver first,  then frying apples and onions in the same skillet and with the leftover grease from the liver (still, add additional butter).  While apples and onions fry, the liver has to be kept warm.
This however, means you have to juggle with the additional time and the temperature of the liver while you fry the apples/onions. And as the key to a well-tasting liver is that it is neither overdone nor cold, this is disaster waiting to happen. Only professional cooks and grandmas may attempt such a daring feat.
So I, personally, choose to cheat and use two skillets. :peaceful:

• Like 1

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

I live in the NW as well and have a raised garden bed that I built for my 11 yo last spring. Sadly, I put it in the spot where the old sandbox (pea gravel) used to be and it turned out to be super shady...  I'm taking a class in a couple weeks at the Pantry (in Seattle) called "From Lawn to Lunch:  Intro to Small Space Gardening.  Hopefully I'll get some good ideas, my son wants to be a chef when he grows up and is also interested in gardening so it could be a win-win if I could get it together.

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Consistency is your superpower indeed! Little bit jealous of that, in a good way :)

Have you grown courgettes? They've always been my biggest yield along with spinach.

Yes, but my complaint has been how much room they have taken up.This year, I got seeds for a more compact bush, so we shall seen. Spinach should grow well in our climate, but I've struggled with it. Which is why I am now reading NW gardening books.

Do you know "Berliner Leber"? You need: liver (obviously), apples, onions, potatoes, flour.

I won't explain how to cook mashed potatoes, guess you know that already. :-) Cut liver in small pieces, turn liver in flour (so that a little bit of flour sticks to the liver). Fry onion rings and apple slices in a skillet. Use a lot of butter. Then, take a second skillet and fry the liver.

Serve hot and side with onions, apples and mashed potatoes. Drip the fat from the frying pans onto side dishes.

The trick is to get the timing right. The liver is done when it feels "elastic" - if it becomes hard it's fried to long, will become chewy and not taste good at all. Secondly, cold liver also becomes chevy and not-well-tasting. The "true form" of Berlin liver calls for frying the liver first,  then frying apples and onions in the same skillet and with the leftover grease from the liver (still, add additional butter).  While apples and onions fry, the liver has to be kept warm.

This however, means you have to juggle with the additional time and the temperature of the liver while you fry the apples/onions. And as the key to a well-tasting liver is that it is neither overdone nor cold, this is disaster waiting to happen. Only professional cooks and grandmas may attempt such a daring feat.

Thanks, I will try that one day. I know it is silly, but so far I haven't been brave enough to try liver on its' own. One day I will though.

I live in the NW as well and have a raised garden bed that I built for my 11 yo last spring. Sadly, I put it in the spot where the old sandbox (pea gravel) used to be and it turned out to be super shady...  I'm taking a class in a couple weeks at the Pantry (in Seattle) called "From Lawn to Lunch:  Intro to Small Space Gardening.  Hopefully I'll get some good ideas, my son wants to be a chef when he grows up and is also interested in gardening so it could be a win-win if I could get it together.

The Pantry looks so cool and the classes weren't too expensive. That class looks like great fun. The spot where I am growing the garden is too shady as well, common problem here. 

Ramblings on diet stuff:

For the next couple of challenges, I really want to focus on reaching my kettlebell goals. Which means I need to get stronger. I have never eaten to bulk (purposely) during any of my challenges. But my newbie gains are leveling off, and people who know things say you need to eat more to lift more. This sort of terrifies me, but I asked on the nutrition thread, and we are really talking about something between 100-200 calories a day. My plan at challenge start was just to do it by intuition. If I work out, I get hungrier, I eat more. Sounds simple enough. But then I keep second guessing myself, am I really hungry or do I just want to eat? Seems like I already ate a bunch so maybe I shouldn't eat more? I also decided I needed to monitor my potassium intake (for blood pressure) so I would need to track my food. I kind of have a hate for food tracking. But sometimes (confession time) it actually does make life easier. I can just check my calorie intake and know whether I am still ok to eat. Which for the last two days, has been yes, I am not eating enough. Right now I am doing MFP for a weight gain of .5 a week.

So, any of you who do actually use this method can give me encouragement or advice, that would be appreciated. This is a pretty big scary step for me.

• Like 1

I'm going to try this! We have chicken livers twice a week for breakfast. My husband asked the other day whether I'm going to try my hand at ox liver. I wonder whether the taste will change a lot if I use either almond or coconut flour?

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

So, any of you who do actually use this method can give me encouragement or advice, that would be appreciated. This is a pretty big scary step for me.

I also have the "head" problem of, am I eating enough when I start exercising, so I eat a little more, and start to pick up weight. I guess if you have to track it, you will quickly see (as you have) whether you are getting in enough, and as soon as you get the rhythm of food and weight, you can probably stop tracking.

See what works for you! Good luck, I know you can do it.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Food tracking is a pain, but I think it's going to be necessary in this case. It might be helpful to record how hungry you feel at each meal also, so you can look back and gauge how accurate your hunger signals are? Just a thought, but maybe that will help you trust yourself, and therefore have to track for less time :)

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Looks like a great quest EG! I've been wanting to do some KB work but haven't gotten around to it. I'm also struggling getting anything done workout wise with all this cold weather we are having lately. Ready for Spring so I can get back outside and moving around.

Thanks

Just caught up and am following along. I'm fascinated by the idea of kettlebells. I have no experience with them. What made you start using them and why do you like them?

Somebody on the board was using them, and for some reason it just sounded fun. Maybe less intimidating then weights. I was sort of plateaud on body weight stuff and needed a change. At first, I just did some workouts that I found online. Bought a set (10#,15#, 5#) from Walmart. Some of what I did was just carry them around, farmer's walk style. Later I bought the book Enter the Kettlebell. I love how simple the workouts are and how well he explains them. I still like bodyweight stuff too, but I feel like I progress faster with the kettlebells, so it gives me more of that feeling of accomplishment.  Kettlebell swings are the best! They build a nice butt :) , strong legs, good cardio, and give me that "I'm ready to conquer the world' feeling after a workout.

No advice, just support. You can do it! 

Thanks

I'm going to try this! We have chicken livers twice a week for breakfast. My husband asked the other day whether I'm going to try my hand at ox liver. I wonder whether the taste will change a lot if I use either almond or coconut flour?

I'd use almond flour, it has less taste. Coconut flour has a strong flavor.

Food tracking is a pain, but I think it's going to be necessary in this case. It might be helpful to record how hungry you feel at each meal also, so you can look back and gauge how accurate your hunger signals are? Just a thought, but maybe that will help you trust yourself, and therefore have to track for less time :)

I like this plan. I think I will use it for snacks. That is when I am doing the am I really hungry or just want food. I rarely eat snacks anymore, that is just an easy way to cut calories. But, I guess opposite is true if I want to add in few more calories, snacks are a good way to go.

• Like 6

Didn't do swings yesterday, my hip was sore. I did go on a 5 miles walk though, and my TGU and some BW stuff for Games of Thrones. 

Workouts for Thursday and Friday- because I don't remember whether I posted Thursday already :redface-new:

Thursday

Warm up

Swings 70 sw 7 minutes

TGU 25-30-30—30—30

Friday

Circuit  5x

Pull ups 2

Push ups 8

Hollow hold 20s

TGU

25-30-30—25-30

walk 5 miles

• Like 4

What do you have in mind for consistency? I'm targeting 2 days work-out, 1 day rest. As for weight, I'll try to match your goal and achieve the simple and sinister routine with the 20kg (44 lb) by June 15th. It's 3.5 month so around 70 workouts on my side I think. That will be 7000 swings and 700 TGU, something to be pround of  :pirate:

PvP is up

• Like 1

Hey, cool. Need to update my thread and check the pvp. This week has been hard with the work and I had very few time for myself. Kept the work outs though.

New Recruit | Level: 0 | BattleLog | Fitocracy

Long term goal : achieving the "simple" (32kg kettlebell) goal from Simple & Sinister. Started at 9kg, finished the 12kg, currently working on the 20kg, 4 KB size to go! 

30%
30%

Week One:

First week in the done box.

First off my thoughts which are semi related to my challenge, but not my goal. My main quest is to build strength and achieve my kettlebell goals. I've had other goals before that were strength related. I'm great at consistency, and for that reason, I was able to get some of those goals. But, I always struggled a bunch. Which may be because I am new to this, and not 20. However, even when I wasn't trying to lose weight, and working on maintaining, I generally had the idea I should eat less or I would gain weight. Any time I tracked calories, I was going low carb or under calories. I heard people say that in order to get stronger, you need to eat over your calories.But I figured, that was for young people who are super skinny. When I tracked in MFP, I usually under estimated my exercise expenditure. 

But, I really wanted to at least come near this goal. And at week 1, after a resting week, my energy was already lagging. So, like I know I said in an earlier post, I decided to just try it, and see what happened if I upped my calories a bit. I started logging, and also really paying attention to my exercise calories. For instance, I usually log my geocache as walking, which is about 150-200 calories. But we go up a bunch of hills most times. When I checked my phone app, it said 547 calories, which is what MFP says for hiking. And I usually checked light strength training instead of heavy, which is also more calories. No wonder I was always so hungry after geocaching. So now my plan is to at to at least maintenance (adjusting to that) and I've set the MFP for a weight gain of .5 pound a week, and I will hopefully hit that some days.

Right now I'm treating this as an experiment. I'm hoping to see some good strength gains by end of challenge. 

And now finally my goals:

Lift Stuff:

Do the Simple and Sinister workout at least 4 days a week/ 5 is better/6 days a week of swings is  ultimate

Did 5 days. I couldn't do it Friday, because my hip was sore. Probably would have been wise to take Saturday off too. Bought a 35 lb bell, so now I have a medium bell to workout with on days I need a lighter bell.

Eat sugar only as a rare treat:

I planned on also limiting paleo treats, but since I'm recording calories, I will just say I can have them as long as I still hit my nutrition goals

I ate my one treat for the challenge. Which was a gluten free brownie that really wasn't that good. Last challenge I rocked the no sugar thing. This challenge, I don't feel it so much. But, I will at still limit it.

Morning Routine

This is a carryover from last challenge. Working to make it something I just do as a habit.

Morning: Read Bible, walk, 15 minute kitchen chores. After that is complete I can set the timer and spend 20 minutes on the computer.

Doing good on this.The 15 minute chores seem like a doable thing to me. Friday, I let the black whole of computer suck me in after I did chore and spent way longer than alloted 20 minutes. I have a timer I set, but it stops after a few beeps. If I struggle with this, I will  go to the kitchen timer, that I have to get up, walk over and turn off.

Life goals (also carry over from last challenge)

Paint the dining room chairs-no more procrastinating. We have our new dining room table so this is a must

This is taking more time than I would like. Realized the lime I thought I could use was the wrong kind. Bought the chalk stuff on Amazon prime to be delivered in 2 days. Only it wasn't on Amazon Prime, so it won't be here until the end of next week. I did sand a chair though. Only sanded one, because I just want to paint one to see if I like it. 

Continue the lessons in my drawing book: at least one lesson a week

Nada. I was busy doing gardening stuff, and then I ...insert excuse here. Just haven't. It's like once I lose momentum, I stop. Well, I can't work on painting our chairs next week, and I am waiting another week to garden, so I WILL do some drawing.

Side Quest: work on mobility squat in the evenings

Yes

• Like 7