Elastigirl: The Road to Kettlebell Strength

Elastigirl

What bothers you with the 1 handed swings? Problems holding on to it? Or does your back get tired?

Wouldn't say bothers me, really just more the DOMS afterward. Doing them, I can do at a pace of about 10 every 45 second, more than that and my back hurts (probably too tired and I therefore twist) I don't feel like there's a bad or wrong pain. I think I just need to get stronger.

I can't do the 44 # one handed. Every time I try I feel like I'm just letting the bell pull me forward .

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hope your chair turns out pretty!

And well, a program like that is never tailored specifically for you so if it is too heavy to do every day, just don't! (Not like you need advice from me, I know you are great at doing the right thing!) Sometimes the only way to go forward is to go backward a little. It does not mean you are actually going backwards, you are just taking another step towards your goal and there's never telling how it will go in time until you have actually done it!  

Wouldn't say bothers me, really just more the DOMS afterward. Doing them, I can do at a pace of about 10 every 45 second, more than that and my back hurts (probably too tired and I therefore twist) I don't feel like there's a bad or wrong pain. I think I just need to get stronger.

I can't do the 44 # one handed. Every time I try I feel like I'm just letting the bell pull me forward .

Maybe you should watch the video I posted in TML's thread, you're probably doing the same thing he is by the sound of this. 

How do you keep a pace of 10 swings in 45 seconds? by putting it down in between?

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl fixes the batcaves

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I have totally gravitated towards the KBs instead of dumbbells lately, and it makes me think of you and your amazing swinging. It's just easier for me to hold when I'm doing things like one-legged squats or bosu squats. Our are in 5 lb increments up to 50 lbs, so I have a lot of leeway. We use them in my new crossfit-y class, too, which is awesome. I just think they are such a versatile tool.

can't wait to see pictures of the chairs! I love a good home improvement project :)

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Maybe you should watch the video I posted in TML's thread, you're probably doing the same thing he is by the sound of this. 

How do you keep a pace of 10 swings in 45 seconds? by putting it down in between?

Thanks, yes I am pretty sure I was doing that, especially with the bigger bell. I'll work on that this week.  I think sometimes form errors become more evident when you up the weight a bit. Really hard to cheat then.

Strongfirst style is to do 10 swings then rest  by walking around until you have your breath back and then do 10 more swings.

As you get stronger you take shorter breaks. Right now the swings take about 15-20 second and my average rest time is 45 seconds.  

• Like 5

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Yea going up in weight is like holding a magnifying glass to your technique! 

And that explains it, I wasn't really familiar with the strongfirst sets. 15-20 seconds for 10 swings sounds exactly right :) The rest time will go down I'm sure! 

• Like 1

With the heavier weights, I get tired out quickly and end up having horrible form through the last half of my sets. I find it is better to find a weight I can keep good form with throughout the set and then up the reps a little until I get stronger. It also helps to use the first set at a higher weight to "see" progress. For instance, if I could get through half a set with good form on the heavier weight and now I can get through 3/4 of a set - that is improvement and very exciting!

Can't wait to see the chairs. We are moving into our new house in about a month and I already have a set of projects to work on :)

Gnome Assassin: [3]
[sTR: 6] [DEX: 1] [STA: 5] [CON: 4] [WIS: 0] [CHA: 1]

âWhat we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

I bought a kettle bell - 9kg. It sat by my tv for a few months. Today I did my first attempt at the simple & sinister. Well named! I have a new respect for your workouts... I could barely do the Turkish get-ups with no weight. How long have you been working on these movements, you beast? I took videos that I will NOT share, for future reference, hahaha.

Elastigirl, you truly are incredible! Thanks for your consistent inspiration!!!

• Like 5

Love as thou wilt.

I have totally gravitated towards the KBs instead of dumbbells lately, and it makes me think of you and your amazing swinging. It's just easier for me to hold when I'm doing things like one-legged squats or bosu squats. Our are in 5 lb increments up to 50 lbs, so I have a lot of leeway. We use them in my new crossfit-y class, too, which is awesome. I just think they are such a versatile tool.

can't wait to see pictures of the chairs! I love a good home improvement project :)

That's cool that you have such a variety of sizes. I like to use them in one legged squats too.

Yea going up in weight is like holding a magnifying glass to your technique! 

And that explains it, I wasn't really familiar with the strongfirst sets. 15-20 seconds for 10 swings sounds exactly right :) The rest time will go down I'm sure! 

Maybe now that I have some form tips to work on the rest time will improve faster.  I messed around some with your tips with no weight, can't wait to really try it out on Monday

With the heavier weights, I get tired out quickly and end up having horrible form through the last half of my sets. I find it is better to find a weight I can keep good form with throughout the set and then up the reps a little until I get stronger. It also helps to use the first set at a higher weight to "see" progress. For instance, if I could get through half a set with good form on the heavier weight and now I can get through 3/4 of a set - that is improvement and very exciting!

Can't wait to see the chairs. We are moving into our new house in about a month and I already have a set of projects to work on :)

Great ideas, thanks

I bought a kettle bell - 9kg. It sat by my tv for a few months. Today I did my first attempt at the simple & sinister. Well named! I have a new respect for your workouts... I could barely do the Turkish get-ups with no weight. How long have you been working on these movements, you beast? I took videos that I will NOT share, for future reference, hahaha.

Elastigirl, you truly are incredible! Thanks for your consistent inspiration!!!

So excited you tried SImple and SInister! I practiced for a long time  (several weeks) without any weight at all too. I was amazed at what a workout that was. And then I started at something 15 pounds, or maybe even just 10. 

• Like 2

Last night I dreamed that first I went and grabbed the chocolate chips out of the freezer and ate a bowl, then I went searching the house for candy. I found a chocolate Santa and ate that, figuring I needed to eat it before Easter. And then woke up craving chocolate. :playful:

Week 2:

Goal #1 Do the Simple and Sinister workout at least 4 days a week/ 5 is better/6 days a week of swings is  ultimate

5 days a week done: that included 2 workout of 5 reps of 30# TGU and one workout of a 44# 80 rep swing

Goal  # 2 Morning routine: Read Bible, 15 minutes kitchen clean, walk then reward is 20 minutes of computer

4/5 days. Did well, the only day I struggled was Friday. I did my to-do's, but then spent more time on the computer

Goal #3 Sugar as a rare treat

Not as well, and I am not sure I care. I started this challenge all gung ho about giving up sugar, but as usual that loses steam. It just takes more willpower to give it up entirely than I think I am willing to invest.  I have cut way back, and when I have it, it is something I enjoy and keep to one serving. I had one brownie on Sunday, another on Wednesday, and then hubby bought a couple of gluten free chocolate chip cookies to have for dessert on Saturday. I can do no sugar for a bit, but when I go longer, I have it, and then feel guilty. Which really isn't a place I want to be in. A popular saying is "everything in moderation" but what does that mean? I mean there's the obvious, don't eat the whole tub of frosting. :redface-new: But I'm not sure how to go about eating just less sugar but still enjoying treats with my family. Still pondering what works for me on this.

Life goal:

Drawing practice from my book: Nope

Paint chair: Yes, chair is painted,Today I will wax it. Then I'm going to bring it up in my dining room and stare at it for a bit and see if I like it before I paint the other chairs.

Other:

On pace for the walkers pvp of 93 miles in 6 weeks, our team is winning in the Game of Thrones PVP

Keeping track of my food on MFP. It really still takes me tracking to hit my potassium levels, I don't think I hit it unless I focus on it. Kind of fun tracking when you are trying to eat more, like oooh I get to eat even more. Don't know if I'm stronger or not. Able to do my 30# TGU's but no big improvements elsewhere. 

• Like 5

Sugar is one of those things that's it's difficult to give up because it's in so many things ... and so many things that are just plain delicious :P

If giving it all up doesn't work, you could set conditions on when you're allowed to have sugary treats?  But figure out what works best for you and go with that.

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Sugar is one of those things that's it's difficult to give up because it's in so many things ... and so many things that are just plain delicious :tongue:

If giving it all up doesn't work, you could set conditions on when you're allowed to have sugary treats?  But figure out what works best for you and go with that.

That is sort of what I'm trying to do, only rather unsuccessfully.  Like I was thinking of saying only on weekends, which would sort of work. Only then last week I went out to lunch with my friends, and there were desserts I could have (rare) and I didn't feel like passing it up. Seems like a bit much, but I may go with these conditions 1) it must be gluten free-that's just a must 2) if I make it I can eat it 2) if someone makes me something gluten free 3) weekends or immediate family birthday 4) if I am at a place that has good gluten free desserts 5) unless it's my birthday or Christmas ,stick to one serving

• Like 3

I had a similar challenge when it came to beer.  Loads of carbs in beer so when I got serious about losing weight I totally cut it out.  Once I lost the weight I knew I needed to make a plan about beer because I really do love a good beer.  My rule is that I have to be out of the house (be in a social situation) if I'm having a beer.  And of course, the "one and done" rule...

tumblr_ll1qpckuey1qc2q1ko1_500.gif

Good luck coming up with your plan for treats!!

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

That is sort of what I'm trying to do, only rather unsuccessfully.  Like I was thinking of saying only on weekends, which would sort of work. Only then last week I went out to lunch with my friends, and there were desserts I could have (rare) and I didn't feel like passing it up. Seems like a bit much, but I may go with these conditions 1) it must be gluten free-that's just a must 2) if I make it I can eat it 2) if someone makes me something gluten free 3) weekends or immediate family birthday 4) if I am at a place that has good gluten free desserts 5) unless it's my birthday or Christmas ,stick to one serving

This is kind of my motto at the moment, except I am trying new gluten free recipes for Rocco's birthday, and have to taste the cupcakes, muffins, etc. to know whether it is really good, or need something else, etc.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

A rather amusing tale of Elastigirl:

Did I mention that my 50th birthday is coming up? One of the side bennies of that age is that shark week (or Ladypow week according to Karinjean) is an infrequent visitor. Of course when it does makes its appearance I am totally surprised and caught off guard. :redface-new:  So after my week last week of giving into the chocolate gimmes and even dreaming about eating a chocolate Santa, guess who stopped by for a visit today. Yep. Shark week it is. :rapture: So, yea, now I have some explanation of why my will power suddenly dropped down to zero. I have to admit, in my almost post shark week wisdom I was kind of doubting whether PMS cravings were real. I thought maybe we just use it as an excuse to eat all the chocolate.  :redface-new: Now, in my very own scientific experiment, I think I have proven that women really do crave chocolate during this time of month.

• Like 5

A rather amusing tale of Elastigirl:

Did I mention that my 50th birthday is coming up? One of the side bennies of that age is that shark week (or Ladypow week according to Karinjean) is an infrequent visitor. Of course when it does makes its appearance I am totally surprised and caught off guard. :redface-new:  So after my week last week of giving into the chocolate gimmes and even dreaming about eating a chocolate Santa, guess who stopped by for a visit today. Yep. Shark week it is. :rapture: So, yea, now I have some explanation of why my will power suddenly dropped down to zero. I have to admit, in my almost post shark week wisdom I was kind of doubting whether PMS cravings were real. I thought maybe we just use it as an excuse to eat all the chocolate.  :redface-new: Now, in my very own scientific experiment, I think I have proven that women really do crave chocolate during this time of month.

LOL, yip I do too, but my last cravings have lasted through and beyond, so I can't blame The Shark.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

lol, shark week. that's a new one to me.

Yeah, I've seen that term on the boards before, but in my naivety, I thought they were actually talking about the TV series.

Not sure where it began, but I think it has been added to the official Nerd Fitness Rebel dictionary of often use terms ;)

• Like 4

Doing pretty well on my morning routine. Monday was a bit of a late start. I have a hate for daylight savings time. It messes with my life way too much. But even though I started slow, I did get all the things done.Tuesday went well.

I've avoided sugar, and am doing a good job food tracking and managing to get good potassium

Monday

walm a.m. 1.2 evening  2 miles

Warm up

Amrap pull ups 6

Push ups 14

Feet together squat 21

Swings- practicing the hinge movement, and correct form

TGU 5 x 30 lb 2 minute rest

Pull up 2/2

Walk total 3.2

Tuesday

Walk 1.2

afternoon 1 mile

Warm up

10 m 35# KB and sledgehammer

TGU+ overhead carry  3 reps 25# n

Cool down flow practice fun

Pull ups 3/2/2/3/3/

Feet togetherSquat 10/10/10/10/10/10/10 ( this is a pistol squat progression-good for balance and mobility)

• Like 4

Practicing correct hip movements huh? You're truly a kettlebellsport athlete <3 even if you don't actually compete, but this is what it's all about really!

And hah, I recognize this moment of finding out it's shark week and being relieved to have an explanation for the insanity of the days before.

• Like 1