HanShotFirst - Challenge Numero Uno

HanShotFirst

My introductory post can be found here.

At this point my main goal is to drop body fat, increasing muscle mass/lifts is a welcome side effect. In reality this may be more of a 5 "and a bit" week challenge as I'll be departing to the UK for a wedding at the end of March, I'll shift to purely body weight routines for the last week but diet may be an issue.

Main Quest

Lose weight/bodyfat (3kg+) whilst maintaining or increasing strength/muscle mass.

I had 98kg listed in my introductory post, apparently this is now 99.3kg. Some is possibly muscle but I'll put the majority down to festive season excess.

Quest 1 : Complete four gym sessions a week utilising free weights and bodyweight exercises, must also include mobiliy work. (typically a combination of Agile 8/Limber 11)

Quest 2 : Complete minimum two light cardio sessions a week.

Quest 3 : Follow dietary plan unerringly.

I eat at a deficit with lean protein, vegetables, fruit (post workout carb source) and brown rice. Interimittent fasting is utilised with a 16/8 window and one day of "cheating" followed by a 24 hour fast. All food intake will be logged using Myfitnesspal, success will be defined as hitting calorie goal intake with approximate macro breakdwowns.

Life Quest

Quest 1 : Get to work prior to 9:30am each morning.

I'm lucky enough to have a job with flexible working hours, on occassion I may be working after midnight but will attempt to reign this in as it does mess with my sleeping patterns.

Happy to take any input on board. i.e. if I've done this completely wrong and should make a few modifications.

<Edit> Condensed down to three subquests for main quest re: week 1 challenge, also gussied up the formatting a tad. </Edit>

• Like 1

Level 2  Mul Ranger
STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1.5 | CHA 1.5
Challenges : 1 2

that extra 1.3kg could also be water weight and other things, so don't totally beat yourself up about it :D

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Warriros' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Hello and Welcome to the Rebellion!

My name is Amdhiel and I’m an ambassador for the Assassin Guild. I see that your challenge includes a few things that we Assassins enjoy and we’d love to help you crush your goals! 

If you want to gather some more information about the guild, stop buy the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements thread to find out what’s happening. If you want to find someone with similar interests, including body weight and mobility training, take a look in the Assassin Phonebook.

If you want to get to know our crazy guild better or just ask a question stop by the Assassins' Den or the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread for Level 1’s and introduce yourself. We’re a friendly and supportive guild so don’t be shy about sending us messages or asking for help!

If you ever have any questions or need any help, please let me or any Assassin Ambassador know.  You can get in touch with me by posting in my challenge thread or by sending me a private message. 

The Ambassadors and I will be checking in on you from time to time to see how you’re doing. Remember that most successful path is one that includes plenty of support. You're an amazingly strong person and I know you can crush those goals!

• Like 1

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Week 1

Day 1 : First day of the challenge! Full of optimism but also a recovery day, will hit the gym tomorrow with a vengeance. Nutrition on point and even managed to get to work by 9:30, fell asleep on the train nearly sabotaging the latter. Watched Terminator 1/2 back to back, not a bad day. :)

Day 2 : Day two down, first day at the gym. Deadlifts! Mobiliy work completed and nutrition within parameters, leisurely one hour walk for cardio. Unfortunately also gave notice to current gym due to "dropping of weights" rule, one does not simply place a deadlift down delicately past a certain weight. My lower back will thank me for it, played some board games to unwind. Bring on the rest of the week, I may even go for 5 from 5 getting to work on time.

Day 3 : Thankfully another recovery day as nil sleep last night, I am the walking dead. So much coffee, early night tonight. Still made it to work on time, go me.

Day 4 : Cheat day, so many noms. Hit the gym, upped overall load on single arm dumbell press/rows. Legs stiff as hell, front squat remained the same.

Day 5 : Day one of famine during this 6 week challenge, tough as ever but sipping on BCAAs seems to help along with copious amounts of black coffee.

Day 6 : Metal festival day one, Slipknot tight as ever and a few other random bands thrown in. Japanese metal, nuts as ever. Quality of food at festivals has definitely gone up, pre-planning allows hitting of nutrition goals.

Day 7 : Sore from moshing, still managed to get a workout in. Wide grip pullups get easier with time right? Finally got to see Ministry and Godflesh, didn't that would ever happen. General bucket list/life goal items ticked off. Nutrition within parameters.

Week 2

Day 1 : Think I broke myself, two days on your feet in the heat plus moshing with a workout chucked in takes a toll on the flesh. Ouch. Recovery day, nutrition within parameters. The weekend just gone counts as two items of "light cardio" surely? :)

Day 2 : Purchased a heatpack the day before, can't believe I've gone years without one. Still going light on deadlifts, looking forward to rejoining new gym. Nutrition A-Ok.

Day 3 : Recovery, nutrition fine. Broke out Zombicide, really need to use the kickstarter games I've backed more. My only complaint being you can't mess with the other players. Hour walk total, to and from a mates place.

Day 4 : Managed to up weight on all exercises within my workout, doesn't happen often. Good day, nutrition requirements hit.

Day 5 : Two workouts today! Went after work with work colleagues, may end up joining two gyms and have a workout buddy for one of them. Benched using the barbell for the first time in a few months, a bit paranoid benching solo. Hit 100kg for 5 reps, pretty happy with that! Nutrition fine.

Day 6 : Cheat day and recovery day! Picked up a Deadpool vinyl to cheer up a friend, hope he likes it.

Day 7  : Fast followed by feast, birthday barbeque and unfortunately overdid it on the protein. Had to slip up eventually right? Yay, meat coma. New workout plan started today, few variants but primarily the same mixing up sets/reps and replacing conventional deadlifts with dumbbell RDLs until I return to a gym without a noise policy.

Week 3

Day 1 : Day one of week three, discovered my old gym has been kind enough to give me this month free. Workout at 10:30pm, I've missed the flexibility a 24/7 gym allows. The music is definitely better, less top 40 and more Faith No More/NIN etc. Feels like I've returned home.

Day 2 : Officially have three gym memberships now, will be dropping down to two shortly but it just seems ridiculous. Unscheduled gym session with workmate.

Day 3 :  Part of the new workout plan is the inclusion of incline DB chest press in addition to flat bench, the difference in angle really makes a difference. Feeling it.

Day 4 Recovery day, threw in some pyramid "sets" of shuttle runs and jump rope.

Day 5 : Missed my scheduled "real workout", but replaced with an arm workout from hell with work colleague.

Day 6 : Recovery day, jogged around a local park but damn it's warm of late.

Day 7 : Cheat day, workout and an old friends bday. Think I'm going to switch to an assisted chin-up machine for pullups until my ROM improves, just feels like I'm cheating currently.

Week 4

Day 1 : Mini quest for this week, actually update this thread every day. As with last week throwing in additioinal workouts with my work colleague, if I managed to hit all my scheduled workouts plus two with him that will equate to six workouts a week. Currently we're just doing what appeals to us when we go to the gym to get him back into the swing of things, when I get back from the UK we'll take a more structured approach. Two days of a set lifting program and one day of cardio, most likely boxing/pad work with jump rope and shuttle runs etc. involving him and I'll most likely throw in an extra cardio and lifting session a piece for myself. Today chest and boxing/pad work, my arms are still shaking a little.

Day 2 : Failed at updating this thread yesterday but on the upside... passed out for 7 hours straight! Happy days.

Day 3 : Had to choose between breaking my "curfew" and updating the thread, sleep won out in the end. Six hours straight! Doesn't sound impressive but I'm pretty happy with it. :) Late night workouts may be something I need to engage in more often.

Day 4 : Managed to hit 75kg on DB chest press! Failed the previous week/was a bit optimistic.

Day 5 : Chest/shoulder day, definitely seeing a difference in chest shape. Arnold presses deceptively difficult.

Day 6 : Cheat day! Nothing quite like getting half a hour into a walk then a storm auditioning for typhoon status hitting, saturated was an understatement. Good workout to warm up after.

Day 7 : I think the extra workout sessions are taxing my body too much, pullups were just laboured/needed breaks. Either that or the alcohol imbibed last night. :tongue:

Week 5

Day 1 : Coming to the business end, also just about at lift off for my UK trip. Finally booking accommodating and organising my social calendar, sticking to nutrition is going to be a challenge but workouts should be fine. On the plus side my life quest will take a backseat as I'll be holiday! :) I think my new workout buddy is trying to kill me, who the hell wants to do chinups/pullups at the END of a workout when you're already tapped out?

Day 2 : Recovery

Day 3 : Workout, maintained PB on DB Chest Press. Looks like that's stable at least. :)

Day 4 : Random session with work colleague, no real pattern/plan. Need to introduce a more consistent plan/routine when I get back.

Day 5 : Missed primary workout, shifted to next day. Got in additional session with work colleague.

Day 6 : Cheat day! Workout, think I've finally mastered this jump rope thing... never been a strong point.

Day 7 : Bad day for nutrition/drinking, but managed to get a workout in. Last day in sterile commercial gym, other than the location can't say I'm going to miss it.

Week 6

Day 1 : Just as well i checked the itinerary, I fly out at 12:50am tomorrow instead of 12:50pm as previously thought! Somehow don't think I'll be hitting the gym tonight, need to go home and pack. :S

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Level 2  Mul Ranger

Wow you worked out during a metal festival. Where did you go? Looks like a great start for your challenge.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Wow you worked out during a metal festival. Where did you go? Looks like a great start for your challenge.

The metal festivals in Australia unfortunately pale in comparison to those in Europe, no camping. :( The only "real one" in Australia tends to be in the middle of each city which does make transport a bit easier.

I hit up With Full Force out in Germany a couple of years back, y'all know how to party. :)

• Like 1

Level 2  Mul Ranger

Week three challenge time!

Motivation on my three main sub-quests is definitely high, but I am finding myself struggling with my life side quest. Getting to work on time, this is primarily due to lack of/poor quality sleep. As detailed in my introductory post I endured a prolonged period of insomnia, looking back I have no idea how I used to deal with not sleeping for 2-3 days consistently. While I now sleep most nights, occasionally this may only be a couple of hours or poor quality in general. I have no doubt this is impacting on recovery from training as well as weight loss.

I found this article on NF, most of these points I've read previously and already knew but we are all creatures of habit and I can see more changes to ingrained habits are required.

I'll be making sure to,

• to get into bed at a decent hour on weeknights (by 10pm) and read a book, rather than playing around on my phone/tablet.
  • restrict caffeine intake after lunch, I am a bit of a coffee fiend.

I'll take +1 WIS on this one.

• Like 3

Level 2  Mul Ranger

I found this article on NF, most of these points I've read previously and already knew but we are all creatures of habit and I can see more changes to ingrained habits are required.

I'll be making sure to,

• to get into bed at a decent hour on weeknights (by 10pm) and read a book, rather than playing around on my phone/tablet.
  • restrict caffeine intake after lunch, I am a bit of a coffee fiend.
I'll take +1 WIS on this one.

Looks good to me. I got rather similar tipps, when I couldn't sleep yesterday and it worked for me last night. Went to bed at 21:45 and read for 30 minutes in a book (printed, no ebook). I think I fell asleep around 22:20. Oh, and I decided to close the blinds. This way I was able to sleep until 7 am.

I'll try to drink less white, black and green tea and reduce my coffein intake, too. I have done this before an can tell you, it can be hard the first weeks. Perhaps you want to substitute some of your coffee with green tea in the first week. That helps me a lot, when I'm stepping down from coffee after midtherms.

And we completed 1/3 of the challenge already. :)

• Like 2

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Good job on your main quests!  It's almost level up time!

How are the bedtime modifications treating you?  I did a quest my very first challenge about getting to sleep on time as well..... it helped a ton!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Hey bro, how's it going almost at the end of week 3!

Thanks for the nudge man, I'll get better at updating day to day from now on. Scouts honour! Going well, will check in on your thread shortly.

Good job on your main quests!  It's almost level up time!

How are the bedtime modifications treating you?  I did a quest my very first challenge about getting to sleep on time as well..... it helped a ton!

Cutting back the caffeine intake post morning has made a difference, restricting usage of electronic gadgetry towards bed time has unfortunately been problematic. Work has stepped it up this week, part of the joy of working for an "evil global corporate". Time zones are the bane of my existence.

I think the change on the two nights I was able to adhere to the plan made a difference, hopefully things calm down this week. Thanks for checking in. :)

• Like 3

Level 2  Mul Ranger

Week 4 Challenge!

1. Goal allocation:

Quest 1 : Complete four gym sessions a week utilising free weights and bodyweight exercises, must also include mobiliy work. (typically a combination of Agile 8/Limber 11) = 2 STR & 2 DEX
Quest 2 : Complete minimum two light cardio sessions a week. = 2 STA
Quest 3 : Follow dietary plan unerringly. = 2 CON

LQ : Get to work prior to 9:30am each morning. = 1 CHA & 1 WIS

2. Mid Challenge Summary:

Q1: A (100%) Superceded planned gym sessions due to additional sessions with colleague.

Q2: A (96%) Superceded cardio sessions planned due to reason as above.

Q3: A (100%) Only one failure, in retrospect attending a bbq on a day of fasting wasn't the best idea but was unavoidable on the day.

LQ: B (75%) Fallen over on this one comparatively speaking, technically percentage is higher as I chose to work from home a couple of days but that's just cheating. :)

3. Challenge allocation:

Q1: A (100%) = 2 STR & 2 DEX

Q2: A (96%) = 2 STA

Q3: A (100%) = 2 CON

LQ: B (75%) = .5 CHA & .5 WIS

• Like 1

Level 2  Mul Ranger

Looks good. Congraz on leveling up. :)

• Like 2

Spoiler

Congratulations on the level-up! :D You're doing pretty well in Week 4, and I hope you know you're awesome! Don't worry too much about the BBQ day - you've been eating healthy most of the time, and as long as diet-plan violations are once in a blue moon, you should be okay.

Keep smashin'! You're doing pretty well!

• Like 2

Week 5: The Cafeteria Challenge

I'm sure this is going to be incredibly bland/boring compared to some of the treats/cheat meals others will put up... but on a cheat day this is my go to.

Ingredients : Mince/ground meat of your choice, ridiculous amounts of cheese, canned diced tomatoes, onions, guacamole (with chilli for preference), wholegrain tortillas.

-  Chop onions, then fry in a pan on medium high heat until translucent. (I usually cry at this point, not my favourite task)

-  Add mince/ground meat to pan and brown.

-  Once browned, add canned tomatoes and cheese before reducing heat to medium low for 20 minutes.

-  Post cooling, add to tortillas with guacamole.

I usually try to have my cheat meals on a day when I won't be doing a whole lot, ideally I just stay home and stuff myself with the above monstrosity and go out to a meal with friends stomach space allowing.

• Like 2

Level 2  Mul Ranger