Food

Breakfast- Banana, Strawberry, bread

Lunch- Roasted veggies, bacon, fruits

Dinner- Roasted veggies, pan fried shark steak, fruits

Writing

30 min creative writing

Exercise

100 push ups 40 min walking/ jogging

Rant: Last night and today, I noticed that my muscles started losing flexibility. My fingers move slower, and sometimes, twisting and turning give me severe muscle cramps that I had to scream in pain just because I turn the wrong side in my sleep. It felt like a small creature with sharp teeth is trying to escape from my bones into my muscles. Picking up a dropping pen today led to me holding on to my tricep, face on the table, trying not to scream or sob in a coffee shop.

I researched and found that I may or may not have Thyrotoxic Myopathy... The disease of consequence from Hyperthyroid. It causes extreme muscle pain, cramps, weakness, and rapid muscle loss. I have a doctor's appointment for hyperthyroidism in June, but I will have to ask the doctor about the symptoms somehow sooner. There is hope, and it seems pretty common within the hyperthyroid patients.

I can still exercise with the same regime, as long as I do it slowly and assume the right position. My body seems to be used to these movements and it doesn't cause me any pain, but reaching my arm too far? Big Nope.

Just when I thought I got back on the horse, something horrible happen again, but I am ready to face this shit and stomp it to pulp... as long as someone hold my legs for me, that is.

• Like 1

Thursday

Food

Breakfast- Peanuts, honey, green smoothies

Lunch- Bacon, greens

Dinner- Spinach and mushrooms, chicken and wine sauce

Writing

30 min academic writing

Exercise

40 min walking

Friday

Food

Breakfast- banana, bread

Lunch- Fries, Gyros

Snack- Baklava

Dinner- Cabbage stirfry, tuna eggs, noodles

Writing

30 min academic writing

Exercise

100 push ups

100 squats

30 chin up

Chest and arms

40 min walking/ jogging

Saturday

Food

Breakfast- Banana, apple, plums

Lunch- Leftover eggs, noodles, cabbage

Dinner- FEAST (My roommate held a party tonight, and oh, we didn't finish eating til 10... we had some veggies though, and I didn't drink anything other than water)

Dessert- Baked corn cake

Writing

30 min academic writing

Exercise

20 min walking

Saturday was the day I performed as a wingman. A friend of mine wanted to be in public because we have... 2-3 single ladies in our social circle and want to expand the horizons. I just went to a coffee shop with him and just ordered coffee, so that we could get used to the crowd. We felt a little creepy (haha) but we didn't plan on hitting on anyone. I felt like a teenager-- which was ridiculous because I spent teenage years studying.

Sunday

Food

Breakfast- none. Intermitten Fasting started today.

Lunch- Leftover from the night before: vermicelli-spinach salad under peanut sauce, roasted pork belly, and Broccoli... SO MUCH BROCCOLI

Snack- Banana, corn cake

Dinner- Tofu and fish spicy soup, white rice

Writing

30 min creative writing

30 min academic writing

Exercise

Leg exercises at the gym

Week 5 Conclusion

0.jpg

Food is okay, desserts are inevitable. However, I got a rocky start on Intermitten fasting. We will see what happens next.

The first day of intermitten fasting went a little rocky. I waited until I couldn't (about 11 am.) Dessert is involved, and I felt so hungry. But hey, things will get better with time. 

Exercise is excellent! I have done a lot during break. However, with what I suspect is a mild myopathy (muscle degradation after hyperthyroidism)... my muscles lack flexibility they needed. Everytime I did anything wrong... stretch, stand, lift, I feel like the muscles (mostly on my left torso) are ready to tear off my bones like a chunk of brisket. Hopefully that makes my muscles bigger faster. :/

Obvious good point is that, I know my exercises are in excellent forms, or else I would be crying and curling in a ball by now.

Writing is rocky, but meh, break. I got my story to about 5,000 words and some academic progress.

Guess I'll do the fishstick! I mean-- I'll do it over again. I won't back down!

First week of intermitten fasting.

Weight: 149.4 lb

Waist: 33.7"

Chest: 36.5"

Hip: 36.5"

Basically, I am back to square one. But now, after the disease, I know I can fix damage again.

sorry about the myopathy...hope the doctor has some good advice. I'm hoping that are able to get relief from the symptoms with some adjustment to medication. It's frustrating to work out so hard and consistently and to be held back by something beyond your control. But I have to think that all your hard work and years of building technique have made your body strong and flexible. You'll come back from this.

Great work on being a wingman and good friend!

With the coffee shop plan, do you find that fruit fills you up enough? I have a really hard time with that one....once I'm hungry, I need something more substantial than fruit. I fight it by carrying around small containers of trail mix (mostly almonds). If the fruit works for you, that's great. If not, you might want to think about other options that could be acceptable. Sometimes it's hard to find much though...

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

sorry about the myopathy...hope the doctor has some good advice. I'm hoping that are able to get relief from the symptoms with some adjustment to medication. It's frustrating to work out so hard and consistently and to be held back by something beyond your control. But I have to think that all your hard work and years of building technique have made your body strong and flexible. You'll come back from this.

Great work on being a wingman and good friend!

With the coffee shop plan, do you find that fruit fills you up enough? I have a really hard time with that one....once I'm hungry, I need something more substantial than fruit. I fight it by carrying around small containers of trail mix (mostly almonds). If the fruit works for you, that's great. If not, you might want to think about other options that could be acceptable. Sometimes it's hard to find much though...

Thanks Xena. I talked to the doctor today, and it wasn't myopathy. It was vitamin D deficiency-- another side effects, but this one is an easy fix, now I'm taking the supplements.

I was considering about the coffee shop event, and found it hard for people today to find a romantic interest. Maybe my friend and I should join a dance/ sports/ reading club?

I haven't tested the coffee shop plan. I've been out of town last week, and now the coffee shop is closed for renovation. I found green tea helpful for hunger-- especially it has some flavor which helps a lot. I didn't have to go to any cafe at all. However, I noticed that I still crave dessert after the meals (and they are always available), so I have to fix that. Maybe I should pack my own lunch with fruits and eat it outside now that it is spring. I'll try that on Wednesday-- Tuesday is lunch with the focus group.

Monday

Food

Breakfast- Green tea

Lunch- Couscous salad, Chicken BLT salad, roasted cauliflowers, orange... (I know, but it's after fasting)

Snack- Cookies (available at lunch)

Dinner- Greek salad and veggies soup

Writing

30 min academic writing

1 hr of creative writing

Exercise

40 min biking

W6: Eat: Green 1/7-Dessert 1/3-Paleo 0/3 | Exercise: Bodyweight 0/3-walk 1/7 Writing: Acacemic 0.5/2.5-Writing 1/2.5-Positivity 0/1

• Like 1

Grief, you're not catching many breaks right now are you?  Glad the vitamin D is at least an easier answer.  Is it helping yet?

Teirin, thanks. It helped a little, but now resulting on my doctor prescribing more blood check. :)

Tuesday

Food

Breakfast- Green tea

Lunch- Goat cheese pizza

Afternoon wasn't great... I am failing a class because of Hyperthyroidism early on made me slow and did not catch on some basics. The professor said she'd help me a bit, so we'll see. The discussion made me feel frustrated and helpless, but I have lost my time for this bs enough, so I'll whip something up

Snack- A donut (party left over-- I ate this angrily after the meeting), banana

Dinner- Leftovers from party. Ate til I was full

Writing

1 hr academic writing

Exercise

40 min biking

10 min jogging-- I can jog outside without feeling like my heart is killing me again! Small win.

W6: Eat: Green 2/7-Dessert 2/3-Paleo 0/3 | Exercise: Bodyweight 0/3-walk 2/7 Writing: Acacemic 1.5/2.5-Writing 1/2.5-Positivity 0/1

Small wins add up.  Hope you can catch up with some help in the class.  This was a big disruption to everything.  It'll take some time to settle your routines again.

Hi Teirin, yup. As for the class, it was my responsibility to seek for help sooner. But I will fight anything in the way to get back on track again. :)

Wednesday

Food

Breakfast- Green tea

Lunch- Noodles with vegetable pickle and stewed bacon, bread

Snack- Homemade bread

Dinner- Egyptian street food, with pasta, lentils, chickpea, and tomato sauce

Writing

1 hr academic writing

Exercise

50 push ups

1.5 hour commute biking

W6: Eat: Green 3/7-Dessert 3/3-Paleo 0/3 | Exercise: Bodyweight 0.5/3-walk 3/7 Writing: Acacemic 2.5/2.5-Writing 1/2.5-Positivity 0/1

• Like 2

I am so sorry you're experiencing so much pain and so many health issues.  I hope your doctor can offer some sort of solution.

But seriously you are handling what life has thrown at you like a super hero! You are doing just great on this challenge!

Thanks, Raxie! Though I still eat at least one dessert a day... :( Well, slow move.

Thursday

Food

Breakfast- Green tea

Lunch- Leftover

Snack- Pecan bread

Dinner- Leftover

Exercise

-  30 Chin up

- 1.5 hr of commute biking

Academic/ Creative

- 30 min academic

W5: Eat: Green 4/7-Dessert 4/3-Paleo 0/3 | Exercise: Bodyweight 1/3-walk 4/7 Writing: Acacemic 2/2.5-Writing 1.5/2.5-Positivity 0/1

Positive Thinking of The Week: Screw Phyto-Man

I spent the past few months swimming in the mess.

My brain failed me. My body shifted shapes so fast I couldn't catch up. My social life went to toilet because my personality changed. I am now under medication, and it made me pimple in the places I can'r reach. I had to put many of my academic projects on halt, but they still keep flooding in. I felt so helpless and unintelligent, and the back of my mind told me that I would never be as smart or as focused as before ever again.

It was ugly, and I was waiting for Phyto-Man.

Who's Phyto-Man? He is me before Hyperthyroidism took hold. Cool, calm, collected, confident. He took care of all projects with a whirlwind of capability-- a charming, strong gentleman. The muscle guy. Basically, compared to me now, he is a miniature Asian anti-Superman who fights for ecosystem.

I was waiting for him to be back, to sweep me away from the flood that'd drown me. I wanted to be saved... I waited and I waited for several months, and he never came.

He might be trapped by a superhero somewhere and was beaten to pulps. Maybe he was put in the jail made of Okranite. Maybe he decided the world's not worth saving against humanity. Whatever, I learned now that he would not show up anytime soon.

Screw him and his stupid superpower. I've waited long enough.

I am no dude in distress. I have my mortal power, albeit slower than Phyto-Man, and I have some people in my team. I will fight the evil and escape the work and insecurity that comes attacking. I will slay any self-doubt and mortifying thought that Phyto-Man would never come back. Ever. That he was dead. 

I would kicked down the door of the hero's lair and save him myself. 

Starting from the subject I'm failing, I'll get a C-- whatever I had to do. Then I'll make the most kickass dissertation proposal I have ever seen. I'm not waiting anymore.

Maybe Phyto-Man will eventually come back. Maybe he had already been back, but is recharging his power. He'll show up whenever. But now, only I will do.

I will win against anything that's in my way. 

skyrim-249651.jpg

• Like 4

You are so amazing!  After everything you are still so mentally strong and pushing through this!  Maybe Phyto-Man is gone, but that doesn't mean you won't come out the other side of this as a just as awesome a person as Phyto-Man, maybe just different, because going through what you have gone through is sure to change a person.  And you're making that change for the better :)

• Like 3

You are made of awesome, and that post is exactly why. 

Powerful_internet_hug.png

Thanks, Teirin!

You are so amazing!  After everything you are still so mentally strong and pushing through this!  Maybe Phyto-Man is gone, but that doesn't mean you won't come out the other side of this as a just as awesome a person as Phyto-Man, maybe just different, because going through what you have gone through is sure to change a person.  And you're making that change for the better  :)

Thanks, Raxie. I will sure try.

Friday

Food

Breakfast- Green tea

Lunch- seitan salad, fruit leather

Snack- Hell broke loose on this one, cheese dennis and apple fritter

[Fighting to focus myself into working, ended up depleting my willpower]

Dinner- Spicy beef stirfry with rice

Exercise

- 10 Chin up

- 1 hr of commute biking

- 3 hr of Muay Thai

I sparred with a really big guy that day, and I didn't win against him. He could have swiped my forehead off with the back of his foot, but he stopped just enough for me to feel it. My defense is getting better, and my reflexes are slowly improving back to its original state. So that's a win! 

His guard was loose, but his chin was so out of my reach he didn't have to bother. :P 

Academic/ Creative

- 1 hr academic

Saturday

Food

Breakfast- Green tea

Lunch- Leftover pasta and rice, rolled over with dying kale, strawberry, and tomatoes. Served with soft boiled eggs. Weirdest food I've had in a while. Bananas

Snack- peas and carrots

Dinner- Honey-pineapple baked ham, deviled eggs, bread, potato, homemade peanut butter cake.

Exercise

40 min of commute biking. 

Academic/ Creative

- 1 hr academic

Sunday

Food

Breakfast- Green tea

Lunch- Leftover deviled eggs and potatoes, baked peas and carrots

Snack- Green tea

Dinner- Leftover ham and bread, baked peas and carrots, Bananas

Exercise

-  Leg day at the gym

- Plank

Academic/ Creative

- 1 hr academic

• Like 1

WRAP UP

Skyrim-Cabbages.jpg

It's been a good challenge. I slipped and slid all the way with the sugar dust and syrup. I'm not going to beat myself over it. It is nice to look back and see the path I have walked on in the past six weeks, and here are some conclusions. 

The Good:

Writing and exercise stay consistent. I did a lot of body weight exercises and get a lot of writing done... even though I still have some leftover chemicals, I am chugging academia along just fine. In term of food, I eat something naturally green everyday for 6 weeks and extremely proud. 

The Bad:

Some coursework is harder to catch up than the other, and I've fallen behind. Frustration made creative writing harder toward the end. The vitamin D deficiency slowed down my exercise a bit, and Paleo is not as good as planned. Intermittent fasting isn't perfect (+- 1 hour) but it's going somewhere.  

The Ugly:

I consumed pastries consistently throughout the entire challenge with the average of 5.5 pastries per week. With the average price of $3, I wasted $100 on pastries in the past six weeks, sending my progress backward quite a lot.

I cherish myself for the good, shrug for the bad, and forgive the ugly. The new challenge is about to begin. 

In the next challenge, I should closely monitor what I eat and incorporate some vigorous cardiovascular exercise in a way that make the more interesting. Dark_Raider, you have recommended the NoS diet on the other forum, and I found that interesting to try. No sweet. No snack. No second.

Now go, Phyto. LEVEL UP!!

levelup.gif

I give myself a B in this challenge. (Tsk. Easy grader. ) That means I have 8 points to add to my stat.

STR 13 | DEX 6 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 8 | CHA 5

I will see you guys next challenge!

• Like 3

Congrats on fighting through all the way to the end!

I agree 100% with Raxie. I think you are in the middle of building yourself back into a superhero, but I think we are always changing, so I wouldn't expect to be the same.

I was really proud of you in one of your recent posts where you were talking about the problems with the course. You really owned your responsibility in the situation (although I'm sure it was hard to realize that you needed help, impossible to know how you were going to feel as the semester progressed, etc). Anyway, I was impressed by that.

Hope you have a good off week, and see you back soon!

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Congrats on fighting through all the way to the end!

I agree 100% with Raxie. I think you are in the middle of building yourself back into a superhero, but I think we are always changing, so I wouldn't expect to be the same.

I was really proud of you in one of your recent posts where you were talking about the problems with the course. You really owned your responsibility in the situation (although I'm sure it was hard to realize that you needed help, impossible to know how you were going to feel as the semester progressed, etc). Anyway, I was impressed by that.

Hope you have a good off week, and see you back soon!

Xena, thanks. I think it's not healthy for people who blame themselves on everything... (My dog had diarrhea, my fault. Got stuck behind road construction, my fault. My boyfriend has a hairy back... my fault.) But at the same time, I think a person should examine the problem and learn from it. :) I should be more sensitive about my academic problems. It's all well now.

Fortunately, this week is my university's fitness awareness weeks. There are a lot of things for be to try. Tomorrow is Body Combat. Wednesday is Yoga. I am going to try them all and see how they are. :)

^^  This you are handling recovery, workouts, writing, and coursework Like a Boss.

You've got a few new things to try next time.  All will be well.

Thanks Teirin. Many things are new and shiny for the next challenges. :)