Thais, a eternal beginner trying not to lose on the tutorial.

Thaisf17

Hi,

I already introduced myself in the recruits, but I’m check in with the scouts so...

My name is Thais, thats my first challenge.

I have always been kind of active nerd, sport's fan and all.... but a couple of years I let myself go and got overweight for the first time in my life, that was when met My fitness pal and start take running more seriously, I lost 6kg very fast, but like everything in my life, I got distracted/bored and stop improving, so now,  I'm more than year late on my goal to run a half-marathon and still in need to lose 3 kg of fat.

I already participate of two 10k races, go to gym sporadically, run sporadically and pretend to diet (It's not ideal, but still is a great improvement from 2 years ago).

My goal this year is change the sporadically for regularly, eliminate the “pretend†part of my diet and finally run my first 21k.

for the challenge, my main goal: lose the last 3 kg of fat.

goal 1: workout at least 4 times a week

4 times: A

3 times: B

2 times: C

1 time: E

Goal 2: Cut out soda and sugary drinks - Sugar is my mistress and worst enemy, so soda is my starting point

rated weekly

No soda: A

1 time: B

2 times: C

more than 2: F

Goal 3: Run 10k in less than a hour. (my best time is 1:03)

I’m still thinking how rate this one weekly.

Life goal: one easy and one hard, go to sleep earlier and keep room my straight .

Motivation: I’m turning 32 and my life is very far from where I wanted to be. So, I want to finish the challenge get more focus and discipline and finally put in real life all this potential that my friends and family see in me that I never really reach.

• Like 2

A potential trying to become a full vampire slayer.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foswell Buxton

Level 1 Human scout

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 1

I bet you will break the hour mark for the 10K.  What kind of workouts are you doing towards the first goal?

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I’m planning to do a long run in the weekend, shorter with a faster pace in the beginning of  the week and try to put a interval training there somewhere, but my running will be  more dictate for how feel that day. Also I’ll go to the gym two times a week to work on my strength.

I already try to use a running plan for runner's world magazine to run a half marathon in 4 months, but kinda felt like fastest way to turn something you love to do into a chore.

• Like 1

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foswell Buxton

Level 1 Human scout

I've read a lot of running plans, I get the gist of it, but I have never, ever followed one for any length of time (except sorta c25k, but even then I was mostly just trying to go out every 2nd day which often ended up being 2x per week instead...). I always come up with reasons why I am a unique and beautiful snowflake and the plan doesn't quite fit... :)

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Om with you in the don't-make-it-a-chore thing. You're right to have a plan of sorts though, rather than just whatever. Long run at the weekend with shorter, faster runs in the week is my MO too, and I think you'll make a lot of progress that way.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Do you do any strength training? I've dropped my 1 mile time from 10 min to 7 min purely from strength training. I haven't tried running much at race pace yet since I need to add distance and quickly, I'm about 4 weeks behind where I should be...oops. 

And as for ranking the 10k time goal, make it a quest instead. Since it may or may not happen in this 6 wks. 

"my running will be  more dictate for how feel that day" I've found this phrase to be the death of my training. Once I put a hard plan together I knew exactly what I had to do to reach my goals, I tweaked it a little as I went but I knew when I woke up that today was 6 miles, and tomorrow was 10x hills, and the next day was yoga\rest. I even had "dog days" where I took the dog with me and he dictated how fast and far we ran. Changed things up a little bit when I had to sprint after rabbits. If you can do that, more power to you, it never works for me. I even have my runs scheduled on my calendar so my phone reminds me its time to get up and go.

• Like 1

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Week 1

I know the challenge start on monday, but I usually start to  count my workout of the week from Sunday (there is a whole probably OCD explanation for that), so I’m counting my 40 minutes run on sunday. (1 workout)

Day 1 -  I’m on a week vacation from work (finishing my dissertation for my specialization course), I had a small breakfast, a chicken breast with salad for lunch with fresh orange juice to drink (small cheat: a little not so healthy salad dress and feel pieces of fried sweet potato), eat some fruits during the day, at dinner, I realized that I should start to plan my meals ahead, I didn't had much health options of meal at home, so I end up with eating sandwich with whole grain bread and white cheese, but got hungry later on and ate crackers with gely and some boxed juice (So sugar, sugar, sugar)   but Wohoo! No soda.

I didn’t workout today, because my body was a little sore from sunday.

Day 2 - I had a latte with bread with butter and cheese, I usually save that for the weekend, but since I’m on vacation…

Before lunch I snack a orange juice put in a blender with a apple and Kale.

for lunch I ate grilled fish with rice and salad with some ice tea to with it.

I went to the gym, so one more workout this week, two to go.

For dinner I had whites of two boiled eggs and white cheese. and NoSoda!

Days 3, 4 and 5

My brother was visiting, so this days  weren’t good in what regards the challenge, I ate lot of junk food and didn’t workout a day, but I didn’t had any soda (even my brother drinking a big cup, right on my face, every five minutes).

I still have one day to at least get a B in goal 1 this week.

Thank you all for the inputs!

Do you do any strength training? I've dropped my 1 mile time from 10 min to 7 min purely from strength training. I haven't tried running much at race pace yet since I need to add distance and quickly, I'm about 4 weeks behind where I should be...oops. 

And as for ranking the 10k time goal, make it a quest instead. Since it may or may not happen in this 6 wks. 

"my running will be  more dictate for how feel that day" I've found this phrase to be the death of my training. Once I put a hard plan together I knew exactly what I had to do to reach my goals, I tweaked it a little as I went but I knew when I woke up that today was 6 miles, and tomorrow was 10x hills, and the next day was yoga\rest. I even had "dog days" where I took the dog with me and he dictated how fast and far we ran. Changed things up a little bit when I had to sprint after rabbits. If you can do that, more power to you, it never works for me. I even have my runs scheduled on my calendar so my phone reminds me its time to get up and go.

My plan is go to the gym at least 2 times a week for some strength training. I started because was having constant problems with my ankles and feets and now  I’m pretty much injury free since I started.

When I was picking my goals for the challenge, I seriously thought  about  making the 10K thing my main goal, but I felt the I needed something that I could objectively measure every week, and to push me to work on my diet.

About running plans, maybe after I get some solid routine started I would give the half marathon running plan another try.

• Like 1

Level 1 Human scout

Week 1 - Day 6 and 7

Pretty useless days, I didn't workout but at least I didn't indulge in  junk food.

Still no soda.

Resume of the week

goal 1: workout at least 4 times a week

I only workout 2 times - C

Goal 2: Cut out soda and sugary drinks

I didn't had any Soda and not much boxed juices - A

I guess goal 3 will only be rated in the end, I'm looking for race that will happen close to the end of the challenge.

This week (week 2) real life begins, I will go back to work and my brother is leaving.

I guess is easier for me to keep my diet when I'm working because I can manage to stay far from the temptations, but it's harder to get the energy to workout after work.

Week 2-  day 1

I ate a latte and crackers with jelly for breakfast and chiken with whole grain pasta with salad for lunch, I ate some processed potato chips and just realize that was a bad move after ate half of the plate.

For dinner, I just heated up some not so health take out left over from sunday.

I ran 40 min, so 1 workout.

didn't had any soda.

• Like 1

Level 1 Human scout

Goal 2: Cut out soda and sugary drinks -- rocking this goal, congrats!

It's hard to separate days into goals and activities done. Judging the whole day, or two in this case, is hard not to do. But I encourage you to note each goal as it's own thing. Because not having soda for two days, and more, in a row, is great work.

Keep up the motivation and you will succeed where you need to. We got your back!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Week 2 - day 2

Today I manage to eat healthier than the onder days.

When I came home from work I had a headache, was kind of tired and, you know, Tomb Raider won't play itself (can’t let poor Lara stranded in that island), so workout today looked like a distant dream for me…. but I woman up and practically kick myself out of the door, I did interval trainings and actually had a good time.

So one more workout for this week and still no soda.

• Like 1

Level 1 Human scout

week 2 - day 3

I had a good day, ate relatively health, went to the gym to work on my strengh and get in the last touches to finally finish the last paper for my specialization course, I was dragging this forever, the plan is having everything done by the end of the week.

It was hard to resist the sugary drinks this day, theres something in the red meat that make me want to drink a coke really bad, but I resisted, even having people around me drinking.

week 2 - day 4

Today I took the day off and didn't workout, but tomorrow I'm definitely having the fourth workout of the week and getting my A.

I had a chicken and salad for lunch, but had calorie bomb pasta for dinner and holding strong on the no soda thing.

• Like 2

Level 1 Human scout

Week 2 - Days 5, 6 and 7

I went to the gym on day 5, took the day off on day 7, and had this really good of running on sunday, when leave my doorstep start raining, so I postpone that run for monday.

Summary of week 2

Goal 1

I had 4 workouts - A

Goal 2

I didn't got any soda - A

Yeeees! double A

Something I decided this week is that I'm going to hide my scale until the end of the challenge, because even that doesn't make any sense at all, I keep weighing myself everyday and getting frustrated.

And thanks for the support.

• Like 1

Level 1 Human scout

Good idea.  Weighing every day is pointless.  Weight normally fluctuates a bit each day and the last thing you want to do is sabotage yourself mentally.

You are doing fantastic!  Just awesome.

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Well, it’s been a while…..

I didn't completely abandoned the challenge, but I let life get in the a little bit.

let’s summarize:

Week 3

I came down with a really strong cold, and only run monday when it was still starting to catching me.

so….  this means a E on goal 1

But cold or not I didn’t had any soda so A on goal 2.

Week 4

I was recovering (was a  pretty bad cold) but I manage to have 3 workouts, 2 run and one day at the gym.

Goal 1 - B

Still no soda

this is been easier than I thought it will, I guess will become harder, when I focus on the others sources of sugar in my life.

Goal 2 - A

Week 5

I run one time and went to the gym 2 times, keep letting things get in the way and I found that it's been hard to squeeze the fourth workout in the week, but I will push harder to at least get a A on the last week.

Goal 1 - B

No soda and feeling proud.

Goal 2 - A

• Like 1

Level 1 Human scout

NO SODA FTW!!

Great effort there.

I found that my desire for soda was different than more desire for sugar foods. Perhaps the same will be for you.

Really hope you have fully recovered.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I have had that kind of stuff happen too in other challenges.  Despite it you are nailing one goal (woot!) and keep on working on the other and doing really well I think.

• Like 1