The Obstacle Course of Success - Scout mini challenge

Terinatum

Every Success Counts

The field is in ruins and the bodies are already decaying and smelling of guts and feces. You want to lose your meal, but there are others so you breathe slow and shallow. The creature responsible for this massacre is long gone, but a few huge scales are stuck in the ground or have taken out a roof. Some resistance was made but the wooden fortress walls were shattered and likely the villagers never stood a chance. A few of your loyal Scouts are among the dead. Their swords bloodied and bows hard used and now broken. Arrows were shot almost exclusively at the western wall. The trees there were basically flat and look more like kindling than the tall pines they were just yesterday.

You had helped build this wall and train the villagers. It was hard to see how ineffectual it all was. Your eyes keep moving back to the tree stumps and wall debris in the west. These aren't normal damages? You think, what dragon would bother trampling trees when it could just swoop down and land on the village itself? Good question. So if not a dragon, then what made this horrible scene before you? You find yourself walking up to one of the scales that protrudes from the dirt. It's cracked, probably when it hit the earth. When you yank on it, a piece falls to your feet. It's not small, but it has unusual layers within it.

You turn to get your Commander's attention, but the Commander is already at your side. "Corporal. Take this piece to the Sages in Fayettes. They will know what we are dealing with here." You nod smartly and remove your gear. The pack would have to stay. You grab some rations and your water skin and shove a dagger in your boot.

The Commander's Aide hands you a City-State Marker to get whatever help you may need to get there, faster and in one piece. You hang the marker around your neck and stare at the scale. It's a bit unwieldy and looks heavier than dragon scales. You squat down and manage to pull it up on its edge and test its weight before pulling it up to your chest. The scale is warm and doesn't really smell like anything. That's helpful at least. Your wry humor makes you smirk, internally of course.

You ask the Aide what direction to head off in to join up with the trail that leads to the Town of Fayettes. "If you move through the woods here," the Aide points to the south, "you can move up to the crags and then drop down onto the trail from there. Make it quick, but don't get foolish and get hurt. We can't afford that, do you understand?"

You nod understanding, even if it was a ridiculously obvious command. You head out, walking at first, keeping an eye on your prize possession. If it rocks too much, it may escape your grip. Not a good thing to have happen, especially since you have yet to move out of sight of your group. You get into a groove and begin the slow gaited run for the Sages.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grip Strength!

We know it's important, but do we focus on it enough to really improve our abilities? I don't. So this week we are doing some exercises to increase our hand, wrist, and forearm strength. The vid here is a good place to start. If you don't have dumbbells, try using a jug filled with a challenging amount of weight in it. Do as the vid says, warm-ups and then 3x20 for the exercises. Do all these up to 3  times this week. Report back on Sunday evening, U.S. EST, at the latest and let us know how your hands are faring.

Good Luck Scouts!

Hand, wrist, and forearm exercises with Dr Levi Harrison

• Like 6

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Oooh, cool, I can start this tonight with my triumphal return to the gym. I'm going to start trying to get back to 5x5 but my knee may not be up to a full round yet (technically I'm allowed to start squats & lunges, unless the knee says otherwise . . . we'll see!). So, having some extra stuff to do that doesn't involve the ol' wonky knee at all is a great thing!

• Like 1

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

Looking forward to trying this out! Another fun round of minis I suspect, Terinatum. Thanks for doing different things each time.

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

When you're feeling comfy with the vid exercises, grab something like these and do 3x20 a day for each hand and do them 3x a week. Remember to rest between sets and give your hands good recovery time!

sku_13538_3.jpg121807_ts.jpgSqueezeBallRoundHand500.jpg

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I did a bunch of the vid exercises this morning and did my toe scrunches along with the fist warm-up.

I think I can get some decent progress from this. Heaven knows I need grip strength.

Anyone feeling like this will be helpful?

Do tell.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I'll be curious to see how this helps with my cycling. I've got pretty good grip strength (since I've usually got it engaged when I'm riding.) But maybe this will allow me to hold on longer without getting hand/forearm injuries, or will help me get better at guiding my bike through those rough spots. I'll get started tonight!

• Like 1

High Elf | Scout | Level 3
[ STR 3.5 | DEX 3 | STA 7 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 ]
Second Challenge | Battle Log

"I do not intend to make excuses."

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I'll be curious to see how this helps with my cycling. I've got pretty good grip strength (since I've usually got it engaged when I'm riding.) But maybe this will allow me to hold on longer without getting hand/forearm injuries, or will help me get better at guiding my bike through those rough spots. I'll get started tonight!

Awesome. What you're planning has a lot to do with next week's mission!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

The ground was pretty level earlier, but now seems to be gradually falling into a gully or trench. You look out ahead of you and see trees up high so the ground must go up again. With a little coaxing, you pick up the scale again and head to the widest gap in the trees, hoping for another animal path to help smooth the ways.

Unfortunately, animals don't wander here much. The thicket is getting dense and your feet are finding good purchases hard to find under the crabby low shrubs and the random vine thrown into the mix. You take your time watching closely where you step and what's coming next. The last thing you need to do is find a hole! The shrubs are difficult to cross, but it seems to clear out fairly soon up ahead. You muster your continued strength and focus on balance and the best path forward. It's darker here so shadows play with your depth perception. Your feet touch down gently at first and find more rock than ground. The rocks aren't round and smooth which is great, but flat and pushed into the earth deeply so little shows except the tops. It's strange that anyone would bother with this way out here. Well, nothing to do but trudge on. Light was shining up ahead so that is comforting.

Locomotion focus.

Where are you going? And what is this hand basket you're in?

Where are you right in this moment? Where are you going next?

Are you about to:

step off a curb you cross every time you walk to the store,

turn your bike onto a busy road on the way to work or the park,

climb stairs that you climb every day?

How much of your attention is actually focused on doing that one thing?

* Find 3 things that you do, while going from one place to the next, without much thought, and put more active focus to it.

What is different now?

Is the curb right where you assume it is?

Do you have better balance and confidence on your bike ride to work,

Are the stairs you regularly climb the same height as the other ones across town?

What dexterity attributes can you improve upon now that you are paying closer attention to your movements?

And…

For those who worked on last week's grip strength,

you gain .5 points of STR on your STATS.

Now…

Add to your strength conditioning by working on your ankles this week as well as training and recovering your grip strength.

Let's keep our extremities safe and solid.

Try these and see how it helps your ankles.

Strength bands: 

Do the ankle exercises 3x this week and do 1x of the grip strength work from last week.

Do what you can to find time and energy

to make your body the stable and confident body you deserve.

Good Luck!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

P.S. For those who don't have bands, you can use a rope/strap. You just have to judge the resistance in your hand to see how easy to let yourself move the rope.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Hey All,

It's been pretty quiet here. Are people not interested in these exercises? It's cool, just want to know if I should change up some things.

Lemme know, thanks.

Cheers

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Nah-- not boring. I've just had some busy days with grad schools applications. But I have been trying this being aware thing while moving. It reminds me of my old marching band days, when I was aware of every step and every roll, my posture, my breathing, arm movements, but now on my bike and as I walk.

I'm aware of how I push down, and that's making me aware of my pedaling form and how to improve.
I'm trying to be more aware of my posture while walking; tucking my hips in instead of pushing them back and out like many women are taught to do. There's a natural curve to our backsides, but so many of us push out to over accentuate that and I'm trying really hard to be aware of when I do that.
Finally, trying to be aware of gravel on the road. There's been a lot of snow melt and all the gravel that got put on the road to make it easier for cars has been pushed into the bike lanes, so rather than ride through it and risk my tires, I've been trying to ride the middle of the bike line, right on the edge of the gravel, so I'm not in the way of automobiles, but also am not riding in the gravel.

I haven't tried these ankle exercises, but Maybe I can squeeze some in by this week's deadline.

• Like 1

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

Nah-- not boring. I've just had some busy days with grad schools applications. But I have been trying this being aware thing while moving. It reminds me of my old marching band days, when I was aware of every step and every roll, my posture, my breathing, arm movements, but now on my bike and as I walk.

I'm aware of how I push down, and that's making me aware of my pedaling form and how to improve.

I'm trying to be more aware of my posture while walking; tucking my hips in instead of pushing them back and out like many women are taught to do. There's a natural curve to our backsides, but so many of us push out to over accentuate that and I'm trying really hard to be aware of when I do that.

Finally, trying to be aware of gravel on the road. There's been a lot of snow melt and all the gravel that got put on the road to make it easier for cars has been pushed into the bike lanes, so rather than ride through it and risk my tires, I've been trying to ride the middle of the bike line, right on the edge of the gravel, so I'm not in the way of automobiles, but also am not riding in the gravel.

I haven't tried these ankle exercises, but Maybe I can squeeze some in by this week's deadline.

Nice. Glad it's something you're liking. How are the grad apps going anywho?

I just finished watching this poetry vid and I read your post in the same cadence! It was pretty cool.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Nice. Glad it's something you're liking. How are the grad apps going anywho?

I just finished watching this poetry vid and I read your post in the same cadence! It was pretty cool.

Slowly but surely. : ) I will have one submitted by tomorrow. I got invited to apply to a rather prestigious university in Manhattan and they've waived the application fee, so I'll be submitting to them by the 10th.

Poetry cadence is so cool. I love using song rhythm or poetry cadence to determine my walking speed and gait. What was the video?

• Like 1

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

it's long but inspirational

Rock on with the invite! Do they have what you want at that uni?

Oh my goodness.

This is something I hope the rest of the scouts watch. This was amazing.

They do! : )  I've been invited to three others, but they don't have MLIS, so I'm ignoring them.

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I am finding it hard to work on my ankles. With my bunion and arch drop, everything in that area feels delicate if I work with it directly.

I am continueing grip work by using #B's (bgvanbur) approach to weighted holds. time under tension. It's working alright. I'd like to get where I can do a dead hang. I'm at 195 now, instead of 285 so I think I can make it happen. I need a pullup bar at home. I can't use the new fancy kind as my doors don't really have frames to them. They are flush with the walls! So it's drilling time! So that may not happen any time soon. Uhm. Perhaps it should happen!?

My awareness work has been spotty. I'm doing posture awareness in my challenge so I'm finding it hard to focus around me. Of course if I did, I would likely be much less clumsy!

@ All:

How are folks doing with Week 2's assignment?

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

The path ends abruptly and you drop the scale at your feet. And look down and away from you. It's a marsh bog, pond of muck and tiny islands of thorny bushes. How in the Heavens are you suppose to cross this. You realize as you search for good routes that this isn't the first time you've cursed a certain person under your breath.

That damn assistant to the Commander. How could the assistant NOT know about this? Their job is to keep the commander in the know about the whole kingdom! You fume a little as you draw out in your mind the route you'll take. You also map out a few emergencies pit stops just in case. You growl under your breath, to bring up some needed energy. If it happens to be in the form of hating someone at the moment, so be it.

You take hold of the scale, placing it as securely as possible with enough freedom of movement that you can actually try this. Your feet aren't sinking really, they're just assuring your footprint will last a good long while after you're gone. You muster your strength and your focus. And you're off!

First, if you did last week's mini, then you may have 1/2 a point of strength! Congrats.

Hey hey! Jumping and balancing and jumping again! Maybe some long stretched out steps or maybe several tiny ones in a row. All these tactics and more have some possibilities for you. You don't have to just walk wherever you go. And, yes, you don't have to run either. Albeit, that's the fun'er part by far. You have been increasing your balance and your ankles and grip so let's get to it. This is about strength and balance working together. Movement and time under tension!

So, a few choices this week.

1. Hopscotch!

Yeah, you heard me. Haha We will use the skills we've been working on this challenge and last to have some childhood fun.

Guidelines:

Jumping and landing will be one-footed (unless of course you have two blocks next to each other):

you will jump, land, and STOP, stick that landing (1 second hold there). Then regain your balance before moving onto the next block.  Your turn around will be one-footed with eyes closed! You can jump in a circle with eyes closed or you can shimmy your foot in a circle to turn yourself around, eyes closed. If you touch down with the lifted foot, start over.  Your stone picking up will be the one-legged reach downs we did last challenge (pictured below). Get back to the start line and you're done.

Toss that stone 3 times this week.

2. Hopscotch modified.

For those of us on the injured bench, jumping may still be off limits. So, we will do one footed hopscotch, but we will step to the block, do the star movement from last challenge (pictured below) and then step to the next block with the opposite foot and repeat the star. When you turn around you will either shimmy your foot in a circle, with eyes closed, or do ballet movements to get turned around (pictured below). To pick up the stone, you will use the reach down skill from last challenge (pictured below). Get back to the start line and you are done.

Toss that stone 3 times this week.

3. Trail jumping.
Like your character in the story, you will jump, lean, reach, do whatever it takes to get from point A to point B without relying on both feet on the ground at the same time. Chose uneven ground if you can/able or level ground, inside or out. You can throw washcloths or something on the floor to know where to jump to. Don't make this a long journey. Do about 15 feet maybe? Do jumps side-to-side to make forward progress, remembering to jump, land, and hold yourself balanced one footed for 1 second before moving again. Make turns around trees or benches or sofas by hopping in the direction you need to go, but land in a way that you have changed which way you're facing. Do quarter turns, not huge 1/2 turns. Not yet! When you get to your finish line, still on one foot only, hop up as high as you can, turn around in flight, and land on the opposite foot and stick the landing, facing back the way you just came.
Do this 3 times this week.

4.Long Reach Stepping.
Like your character, you are unlikely to be able to jump with the weight of that damn scale. If you are injured or more comfortable, do this instead. Define the spots you will need to get to. Taking one or more steps to get there is fine. Now One-footed, reach out with your raised foot and touch your foot down in a controlled manner. Turning your foot so that when you come all the way over, you will be facing a different way. When you get to a spot, do the star movement from last challenge (pictured below) and then move on. Do 5 or 6 spots. When you get to the end, do a half turn shimming your foot, change feet and then turn back with the other. Level is safest, but if you can handle uneven terrain then go for it. Snowbanks are fun to use. Especially now that they are melting a bit. Who knows how far down your foot will go!
Do this 3 times this week.

This week is a challenge that focuses on multiple events at the same time . Yeah, multitasking!
Go find some terrain and see how well you can transverse it, one-footed, occasionally with your eyes closed, and make it as hard as you can for yourself. Be safe though!

GOOD LUCK!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way