They made Tanuki go to rehab...

Tanuki

Saturday step count: 11,602. Not only did I do the grocery shop (walking), we walked to and from the restaurant for a meal out together. Demolished a burger and glass of wine. Wasn't actually all that great, to be honest, but we did expect that as it was a chain restaurant and it was more about my kids having a good time than us :) We may have an adults-only meal out planned later in the month, our first in 6 whole YEARS! So that'll be awesome.

Workout log: Sunday morning. I'm being good and doing warmup sets (5, then 10 regardless of if I feel I can do more) just to ensure no aches or sprains. The remaining sets, I just went with the flow. Then time to test out rows and presses on the 22.5kg. Because really, I just like the 3-5 rep feelin'. It's nice to have that 'oh god just one more rep' sensation, especially at home with only light gear, and after two months of very rarely feeling it (it's just not the same thinking 'oo can I lift these 2kg dumbbells just one more time? Can I? Oh yes, I am a beast.')

16.5kg, 36lbs

Row: 5, 10, 12,

OHPress: 5, 10, 12

Squat: 5, 10, 15

22.5kg, 50lbs

Row: 5, 8,

OHPress: 5, 8

Squat: 10, 10. Decided against a final set as I was concerned I wouldn't get it back up off my shoulders, precisely the injury that probably got me in this mess in the first place!

Physio stretches to finish off.

• Like 1

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

I really wanted to beat every muscle into submission this evening, but fatigue got the better of me. There's a creeping stiffness in the shoulder too. But I'm not too worried this time, as I know the physio can shake it out for me :D

Warmups:

Physio stretches x 8

Holding the top of the door for 30 seconds - seriously! This is a LOVELY stretch! The door and I are perfect heights for it, and it feels like a good way to prepare for getting the pull-up bar out this week and trying to hang.

16.5kg barbell row, 3x10

16.5kg barbell squat, 3x10

16.5kg barbell OHPress 3x10

Flat leg raises, arms off the ground, 3x10

Warmed up, so into the 22.5kg

Row 5, 5

OHPress 5, 5 - and then the imbalance was too much to risk more. Lefty got tired.

Squat: 8, 12, 12.

Would like to go heavier, of course, but can't risk being unable to lift it back off again.

Would have done more :( Left arm just wasn't for playing ball anymore so I left it at that.

Nutrition:

After the birthday blowout, I was a bit worried about looking at the scale. It was scary! 56.3kg! 124lbs! So much for maintaining around 116. But what can I say. When I do cheat day, I DO cheat day. All four of them.

Thankfully I just weighed myself and I'm already down to 55.4kg, 122lbs, after, what, 14 hours? So I guess that's a whole lotta water gone. Normally I'm 2kg UP if I weigh at the end of the day. But it's been a good eatin' day - bran cereal, whole milk, protein shake, a 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and chives, the all important Greek yoghurt with flax, then fish and steamed veg for dinner. Oh, and a speculaas Christmas cookie. 1252 cals for the day. I don't even feel that hungry as I'm probably still living off days-old food, like a snake that's eaten a boar.

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

The Proof

So, let's have a look at this core work then.

Flat Leg Raise

Hollow Body Hold

Didn't warm up so I think I may be a bit shabby here; shoulders too high on the hold? Should I look up or forward? Leg raise, could have been some lower back movement there. But videoing is helpful. I can compare it to tutorial videos and work on them from there.

I also need to clean under the sofa.

Listed 7 items for sale on Ebay. I'm almost through the pile, and I think that makes 17 items sold!

Recipe reminders: still need two fish dishes, two high protein family dishes, one cake of average complexity, one batch of granola and one bread. Running out of time!

I have some ideas though. Smoked haddock chowder - perhaps with the homemade bread? - and a Greek lamb kleftiko roasted with all the veg and tossed with feta. Granola this weekend with the children. Cake in the final week to take to my in-laws.

Wednesday Workout log:

I wanted to start with pushups and see what I could do before fatigue kicked in. I did the final set at the end, to see if warming up helped. Still feels uneven, but the left will catch up I guess. I put the pull-up bar back up and nervously did some 5-sec hangs (ow) and negatives (wobbly, with one sleepy arm and one raring-to-go arm.)

Pushups: 4, 4, 4, 5

Chin-up negatives: 5, 5

5 second hang x 4

Knee raise x 3 but that was a bit advanced for today.

16.5kg Row: 8, 12, 12. Did two sets of dumbbell rows, 15 reps, as form was failing.

16.5kg OHPress: 12, 12

22.5kg Squat: 12, 12, 12 - shoulder fatigue an issue. Can't add weight. Need to hit the gym, but can't 'til after Easter - I have a number of Sunday family commitments. All enjoyable stuff :)

22.5kg OHPress: 5, 5, 5

Hollow body hold: 36 seconds, new record.

Flat leg raises 3x10

8x Physio stretches to wind down.

I feel uneven too with bench press (I know it is not exactly the same as a pushup, but it works similar muscles) and I'm also not really sure how to fix it. I also hope my left side will catch up and I try not to cut it slack by doing more with my right. But when things get tough I think I do compensate, even if I don't want to. So an ungoing battle really, but we just both have to work hard at it! 

Weekend round up:

- Friday I did some more pullup bar work, but it was disappointing and frustrating. With only one fully functional arm I can barely do negatives and I certainly can't feel I can push myself or work through it. That said, on Saturday I tried again and things felt a lot better and I could do a rather fast negative - not the slow lowering needed, but something to work with. I also started the day with 15 pushups - 3 sets of 5 - and am thinking daily pushups might be a good idea.

- I cooked Smoked Haddock Chowder which was lovely! Though probably not a big enough meal for dinner, so I might look into meatier casseroles or stews or something. I'm getting more confident handling and prepping fish. I also did a big pot of a chicken and mustard casserole, served over lots of green veg. The others had rice. It's good to be eating the same thing :)

- Weekend step counts both 7000+ due to outings!

Did a reasonable workout of 22.5kg squats and presses, before attempting negative pullups on the bar and pulling the muscles at the back of my neck. Frankly I am now so pissed off I want to quit and gain 10kg of cake.

I feel weak and slow and dumb.

You're neither of these things, just a little too eager. Compensating with other muscles when one part of our body is hurt is probably one of the main reasons we get (more) injured, don't sweat it. Review the state of your neck after a full night of sleep (or three) and go from there. If it's anything like the usual pulled neck muscle, you won't remember this at the same time next week and be liftin' dem weights again.

How about a glass of purgatory with a splash of heaven?

Thanks :) It's just so frustrating. If I was weak, I could work hard and get stronger. If I was injured, I would heal and get better. But this is some sick torture whereby you're just stuck in middle, waiting until the condition burns itself out and spending the time between each physio session feeling it creep back in, glueing my shoulder back together until I can't put a jacket on anymore. It's not weakness, just like someone hitting the pause button. I can't make it stronger or better.

Waiting. Probably something not many fitness-types are good at :)

Sigh, well, anyway. I got out of my slump by focusing on the good stuff. Nutrition, very enjoyable right now, a well-rounded 1600-1700 cals in per day and 2000-2100 burned, which should shimmy me back down to my maintenance figure. High fat, more nuts and seeds being thrown at everything, and I've reintroduced good wholemeal bread at lunch. So now I'm pretty damn full through the afternoon and no slumps. Dealing with two sick kids over the last 5 days (first one, then the other) so haven't done too many fancy dinners, but before they got sick I did some new stuff; a Cajun chicken one-pot pasta dish with double cream (eek!) which I thought they'd find too spicy but nope, clean plates, and some Japanese-inspired stir fries. Sleep is still going well, and I'm keeping to my little rule of getting to bed before 10pm on at least a couple of nights, 10.30pm the rest of the time.

On the fitness front, I rested the shoulder yesterday and am pondering what to do tonight. I'm wondering if strength training is really what my shoulder needs - it has become very stuck again - so I'll stretch it out with some yoga (30 Day Challenge episode 4, 'for chest and shoulders) and then I'm thinking of some dumbbell work back from when I started out last year - rows, presses, kickbacks and so on. Using a barbell is awkward because my right arm thinks it's too light and my left thinks it's too heavy, and that awkwardness meets in the middle with a lot of confused muscles and some being held in place by the adhesions, and I spend more time trying to correct my form than I do on the lift. The same imbalance is causing issues on the pullup bar (I suspect I need to wait until I'm 100% before trying this again) so I'll leave the bar for now, but continue doing pushups. I can do them, sure, in low numbers, but I can do multiple sets and work up to a particular goal.

And I can still squat 22.5kg, which is irritatingly low. I mean, sure, maybe I'll do 15, 20, 25 reps but... is it worth it? Is 3 sets of 25 better or worse than 5 sets of 15?

Dumbbells was a great plan :) Each arm could do its thing without being hassled by the other arm and I could play around with 2kg, 5kg, 6kg and 8kg to my heart's content. Floor presses, one-arm kneeling rows, tricep kickbacks and extensions, lateral raises, front raise, bent over row. Core work.

And then yoga, the Day 2 from the 30 Day challenge which is Shoulders and Chest. I had long ago moved on from the challenge onto more challenging courses, and nothing in Day 2 has ever proved a challenge until now. My right arm and right side could do everything - my left was very inhibited, and only yoga seems to be able to push me right up to the limits of my mobility and push into the resistance, which is key to recovery.

This morning the shoulder feels fantastic! Stretched out and unstuck. I'll have to do a LOT more of that!

• Like 1

Dumbbell row, 8kg.  12, 12, 12

Hammer curl 8kg (well, why not.)  10, 10, 10.

Barbell Squats 18.5kg: 12, 12

Barbell Squats 22.5kg: 12, 12

Barbell Squats 25kg: 8, 8, 8, 8

Oh GOSH, is that some BURN I feel??

tumblr_lrunq78jMI1qhybja.gif

A rough week, mentally. Did 3 yoga sequences last night, all shoulder-based, and wrenched that bastard every which way XD But BOY is it good. It is REALLY working to unfreeze it and keep it feeling smooth - a little bruised, but smooth. And smooth means strong.

Comfort-eating also means strong, er, I guess. Y'know. Slight surplus and all that.

I'll get back on the wagon. Right after tomorrow. Tomorrow is my husband and I'd first date in six years.

SIX YEARS.

We have no babysitter. My parents breezily offer to, but they never do. This time, when they offered, I pulled out my diary and said 'How about the 29th?' I think they're looking forward to it :D My kids sure are. Time at Nana's is fun and usually involves chocolate.

But us? Oh, we are thrilled. We're going to read a menu uninterrupted. Have a conversation or two. Have sweet, sweet wine. Or bourbon. It's a barbecue joint, so probably bourbon.

But just one. It's only lunch, after all.

And then back on the wagon, promise. I have a belly like freakin' Santa Claus.

Happy with those 25kgs. Happy indeed. It's been a crappy week but there, I signed off on 25kg.

I've been busy. Unusual for me - I'm never busy! But it's been a few days of family visits and appointments and stuff, then home, workout - EVERY night - and then sleep. Nice, early sleep.

After last weeks crappiness, all was amazing on Sunday. Mr Tanuki and I, in a restaurant on a normal date, like normal people. First time in six years the two of us had been without a child or two in tow :) They had a blast at their grandparents' (when we arrived to collect them and I asked if the kids had fun, my 2.5 year old daughter ran out of the other room covered in sticky post-it notes, shouted 'yay Mama!', then rushed off again. She was also covered in biro pen and had refused to keep her trousers on, so she looked quite feral :D) and we had American barbeque and then a proper pretentious coffee in a hipster hideout.

Thoroughly renewed by the experience, I grabbed Monday by the collar with a calorie deficit, and by Tuesday morning was back at 116.4lb, so not bad going. I had the chicken, though, so not a huge calorie blow out. Tues, Wed, Thurs are all sensible eating days (minor deficit) to prepare for, well, Easter. Family visits, hotel stays, all-you-can-eat-breakfast-buffet. Eek!

If I'm going to eat big, I need to lift big, or at least as big as I can. With that in mind:

30th March

Warmups a mix of 5kg dumbbell work, front raises with plates and physio stretches.

16.5kg Row : 12, 15

16.5kg OHPress : 12, 12

16.5k g Squat: 15 

22.5kg Row: 8, 8, 8.   Finally feeling like a working weight here, with the final rep a little tough!

22.5kg OHPress: 5, 6, 8. Started slow.

22.5kg Squat: 12, 12, 12. Too light!

24.5kg Squat: 10, 10. Still too light, but felt a bit more like a workout. Will add more sets.

24.5kg Row: 5, but not confident yet.

1st April. Keeping the warmup to 12 or less, to save time and stave off fatigue. Only two sets in the middle, as I wanted to hammer the last weight harder. Plus I hadn't had dinner yet.

16.5kg Row: 12, 12

16.5kg OHPress: 12, 12

16.5kg Squat: 12, 12

22.5kg Row: 8, 8

22.5kg OHPress: 7, 8, 8. Working weight, so three sets here. Slow-going on final reps, so sticking here for the time being.

22.5kg Squat: 12, 12

24.5kg Squat: 12, 12, 12. RAWR!

24.5kg Row: 5, 4, going a bit shaky.

• Like 1

Round-up.

This challenge has been tough. Mostly because I spent it weak and in pain and unable to do anything fun. With my fitness taken from me I spent too much time thinking about food and recipes and cooking new things, which really just means thinking about food, which made me even more miserable if I couldn't eat a lot of it. Towards the end, though, there does seem to be a glimmer of hope and most of the mobility loss can be staved off with wrenching it around during yoga and keeping it moving. The next challenge will hopefully be a more traditional 'lose weight, get stronger' one which I embrace wholeheartedly.

The first list, for 'fitness', was:

Doing all 7 physio-prescribed exercises twice a day, every day, no exceptions.

Focusing on core with at least 30x flat leg raises, 2x 30sec plank, 10 supermans and 5 hollow body holds. 3-4x a week.

Focusing on legs with 30x goblet squats, 30x single leg glute bridges and 15x shoulder-elevated single leg hip thrusts. 3-4x a week.

Gently strengthening the shoulder with light dumbbell presses, rows and raises. 3-4x a week.

Try and improve pistol squat (current: just a bit lower than seated, with a lot of wobble).

Try and improve weekend step count to at least 6000 a day.

Try to do at least two things the shoulder made me frightened to do, but did them anyway.

Try knee-pushups 2x a week, though little progress is expected.

Try to hang from the pull-up bar at least once a week in the final three weeks.

So that's a B - Complete 2/3 of the list! I kept my weekend step counts up by taking walks while my daughter napped (husband at home, obviously) and on two or three days it was easy, as the weather's improved and we go out. While I kept the core exercises as part of my workouts, I dropped the leg ones once I could barbell squat again. They were simply doing nothing for me at all. I feel like getting on the pullup bar or starting some yoga were things I was afraid of doing with the shoulder, but in the end I wasn't really afraid of anything. It needed to be moved regardless of the pain.

Con +1.5, Dex +1.5

Next to 'nutrition':

Take daily multi-vitamin.

Try three new high protein, lower carb recipes.

Try three new fish recipes and gain some confidence in fish prep. FoC5ukb.gif

Keep sugary treats for special occasions: ie: family birthday approaching.

Eat at calorie target. No more, no less. Maintain weight between 114-116lb.

Make bread for the first time.

Make own granola for the first time.

Make my son's birthday cake :)

Another B, for four things. It was fun exploring new recipes, especially the fish, but I really don't want to be so focused on food next time. Yes, I like cooking and baking, but by the end I realised baking bread and cakes would just lea to weight gain. Maybe when I'm lifting heavy again and can balance it out I'll get back to it, but right now with my delicate little workouts, I need to keep things in check.

Sta +1.5,  Wis +0.75, Con +0.75

Sleep! This went really well. For the first couple of weeks I insisted on forcing myself to do it for the challenge, but once it became habit it was entrenched, and the benefits made me keep going. I have new books and haven't seen 6am for weeks. List complete.

Con +2, Str +2, Sta +1

For the final CHA+2, I sold 24 items on Ebay. Everything is tidier and more organised. I didn't even have to say goodbye to old favourites - I just browsed Ebay until the items came up in my new size :)

-----

I finished the challenge with a great workout last night, keeping things quick and intense to make up for not being heavy. 1 minute rests, squats, row, press sets one after that other. I increased the weight of the warmup to 18.5kg, 2 sets of 12, then 22.5kg 3 sets of 8-12. Squats and rows, 24.5kg, three more sets. Then core work, stretches, yoga :)

The challenge kept me going. It kept my head in a fitness mode even when I wanted to give up and rest until I was fully healed. There were a lot of times it felt pointless to continue when I wasn't working out hard, when nothing I could do felt challenging, but by keeping up that light work I've had only a little loss in strength, so I'm really glad I did. And I think when I get back to pullups I'll be even stronger than before.

• Like 2

Congrats - and what a testament to persistence!!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk